H.N. Goes for a Test run

Happienumber

Why is it that tall people always want to be shorter and short people want to be taller. Cause I have to say, I'd love to grow 2 inches :rapture: Good idea to bring something to do at your mom's house- you can use it as a time to catch up on some of that stuff. Though taking time to watch Macgyver is good too!

Well, you see, I feel like a gawky lanky giant in a land of cute skinny little people. Its led to chronic bad posture, that i'm now struggling to correct, due to slouching in an attempt to look people in the eye when I'm talking to them. My head is always dipping forward to try to be at eye level, giving me a crimp in my neck. And on a more frivolous note, I'm also taller than almost every man I know. Which is awkward....

You look like you know what you're doing! 

BTW, thanks for choosing this piece of music. I enjoy instrumental music when I'm doing reading/writing work, and this is going straight onto my instrumental playlist. 

It's on my bookwork playlist too! I discovered her through 8tracks, I usually play a mix of "dubstep+classical" and she comes up a LOT on it. 

Hey, not bad! Several things though:

- The bow is not parallel to the bridge, it's not that bad because you play at the centre of the bow but when you'll play on all the bow it will be messy.

- Your left wrist seems a little tense. It must be as much relaxed as possible, the angle it makes must be almost inexistant. To see how it looks like, shake your hand and put your arm in position, that's how it's supposed to be.

- Your right wrist is not mobile enough. You play all your tune with your elbow/arm. It would be way softer if you add some wrist.

Be extra extra extra careful with your posture! I almost had some tendinitis because of a bad one :( Take violin like a sport, warm-up before playing, keep on taking video and work on your posture, you should be able to play without any tension. Many many violinist plays in pain, don't be one of them. And if you can, take some lessons. Having someone to directly correct your posture is really useful.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! What a great help! I can't wait to go home and try these tips. I cannot even express my gratitude for this help! I've got a mirror I can play in front of, as well as cleaning up my camera and taking more "posture correction" form-check videos for myself [yeah, I noticed the big smudge in that video...] By the angle it makes, you mean bending the wrist? Like I should almost not bend my left wrist at all?

Good job on the grains and the control!  I know how it is about being absorbed by the TV when one visits one's mother...I do the same thing.  The weird thing is that I have a TV and just don't watch it when I'm home.  I can't watch the video yet, but it looks like Nuala's got you covered.  I guess I'll have to remember to post videos when I do my violin challenge so that our resident expert can help me as well.   :)

Thanks! And she is fantastic, isn't she?

No fair growing, now you're taller than I am! Grrr.

Good luck with the TV not-watching - I find it almost impossible to be in the room with a tv that's on and not watch it - the visual stimulation is too attractive. I'd have to set up a space facing away from the tv to have any hope of doing something productive.

But I don't *want* to be taller!!! *whines*

Yeah I think I may set myself up in the dining room with my computer to work on, well, work. Might be the only way to keep on task. Thanks for the idea!

Also you got what sounds like pretty good feedback from the robot.  How cool is that, free tutoring ;)

I know, right? She's a lifesaver!!

Bounty Hunter Jedi Assasin

I must control my THOUGHTS...
THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
ACTIONS define your CHARACTER
CHARACTER determines your DESTINY
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Ooo, for ignoring TV, do you have a good set of headphones? That way you can be in your own space w/o the TV sounds intruding. I got some Bose headphones for my office environment, although I've come to prefer some cheaper Skullcandy earbuds. My husband uses actual noise cancelling headphones when he travels.

SpiralGalaxy, Level 9 Halfling Elf Assassin
STR 17|DEX 13|STA 20|CON 13|WIS 21|CHA 15
Electromagnetics Engineer, Freelance sci-fi critic in Maryland

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it." 

I flopped back against the chair, sipping the strange-tasting drink. 

Erik had told me this would eventually happen. I should be able to detect when I was about to get sick, and intuitively know what I needed to combat it. Eventually, after a year or so, I should even be able to form antidotes to certain poisons in my system. He hadn't thought that it would start happening for a few months, but I felt, for lack of a better word...OFF, today. Just not in the groove. And I was craving the strangest things. Marrowfruit juice mixed with vinegar and salt, sprinkled with chopped velshun leaves. Bizzare. But as soon as I started to drink it, I began to feel a little better. Maybe it was happening already.

So I had been CRAVING orange juice like a fiend all day. Really REAAALLLYY craving orange juice. Then around noon, I started getting a sore throat and a scratchy cough. It was like my body knew it needed vitamin C al day and was like, "HN, are you listeing?! give me some weapons to battle this virus with!"

So I bought a half gallon of orange juice and drank a glass of it with dinner, along with a handful of vitamin C and garlic pills. Suck it, cold. Not happening. 

Daily training report:

Feeding myself:

Deduct one point [whaaah] for not eating when I was hungry. Seriously? on the second day?

I was rushing out of the house like a mad person this morning and In my haste forgot to pack lunch. So I didn't get to eat when I was hungry [around 10am] I had to wait until I had a ticket call down by the gas station [the only place to buy food within walking distance of my work] and I scrounged my pockets to find enough money for two sausages- no bun- three cheese sticks and a banana. This is because I seem to have lost my debit card. So I didn't eat until one, and it wasn't the healthiest meal ever [still no grains, but I have no idea what a gas station puts in it's sausages.]

Only ate grains with breakfast, so I'm set there....

Running:

2.06 miles in 31 minutes today. Have to say I really wasn't feeling this run. My lungs were starting to tell me they didn't want to be burdened with the job of breathing anymore. I'm hoping this goes away soon. 

Frog:

No progress, still hanging out in the 15-20 second range. 

Violin:

Played for almost an hour today. The harder I try to keep my bow parallel to the bridge, the wonkier it gets!! I took a zillion videos and watched myself and I'm really not sure why I can't get it straight when It feels straight. Betcha there's a youtube tutorial for that. I'll have to go look.

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Good luck on fighting that cold! Winter sucks. Go you for getting your run in!

SpiralGalaxy, Level 9 Halfling Elf Assassin
STR 17|DEX 13|STA 20|CON 13|WIS 21|CHA 15
Electromagnetics Engineer, Freelance sci-fi critic in Maryland

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it." 

Played for almost an hour today. The harder I try to keep my bow parallel to the bridge, the wonkier it gets!! I took a zillion videos and watched myself and I'm really not sure why I can't get it straight when It feels straight. Betcha there's a youtube tutorial for that. I'll have to go look.

It's because your violin has to be at a weird angle.  I have the same issue (when I actually play).  The best thing is probably a mirror because you get (effectively) instant feedback.  I think I remember reading you saying something about practicing in front of a mirror, but I could be wrong.  That's what my teacher always told me when my bow was skewed (read: all the time).

Level 3 Ranger

STR: 6 | DEX: 3 | STA: 9 | CON: 4 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 5

Current Challenge

(gollum voice) "What does it have in its sausages? Hmmmm?"

For your eating-when-you're-hungry goal - is there a brand of granola bar (or similar thing) that you like? I'd buy some and stick a couple in your car/bag/purse/wherever so you always have acceptable food even if you forget lunch or get hungry at an unexpected time. I'm pretty sensitive to low blood sugar, so I've got a bar in a drawer at work, as well as my briefcase, glove compartment, and juggling props bag.

Other than that, sounds like a good day! Good luck defeating that cold.

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Wow...

Great progress so far, bud! I haven't got to watch the vid yet, but from what everyone else is saying, I'm excited to listen/watch!

Well, you see, I feel like a gawky lanky giant in a land of cute skinny little people. Its led to chronic bad posture, that i'm now struggling to correct, due to slouching in an attempt to look people in the eye when I'm talking to them. My head is always dipping forward to try to be at eye level, giving me a crimp in my neck. And on a more frivolous note, I'm also taller than almost every man I know. Which is awkward....

Haha, I feel your "pain" I'm 6'2 and have always been taller than most dudes, so craning your neck and stuff... It'll get better with time. PLUS, you're taller now...it should be everyone trying to reach YOUR eye lvl and not the other way around :P

Try some ganoderma coffee or tea for your cold. I distribute stuff like that through Serenigy. I've been taking the stuff since July and haven't had any issues with colds, sinus infections, or any other winter ugliness. The red tea from Serenigy is excellent and filled with antioxidants :) Give it a try if ya get a chance!

Wolf

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

liked it!  I remember when my daughter was first learning...your playing could be much, much worse.  (In fact, when I get old and feeble I'm going to move in with her and take up the drums...payback!).

Oh, and I thought this was HILARIOUS!

Wolf

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Good luck on fighting that cold! Winter sucks. Go you for getting your run in!

Thanks! It's been a rough one so far. It keeps oscillating back and forth from 20 above to 10 bellow (farenheight)

Its kind conducive to flu virus development. And it's supposed to be 50 at the end of the week. It's bizzare.

Also, remember that you bow by opening your arm with your elbow, not your shoulder. :)

Omg I don know what that means but it sounds important!! Like hingeing from my elbow? O wait *moves her arm around a bit* I think I get it....like I've been playing like I'm swinging a right cross. Move the bow with my elbow more an not my shoulder?

(gollum voice) "What does it have in its sausages? Hmmmm?"

For your eating-when-you're-hungry goal - is there a brand of granola bar (or similar thing) that you like? I'd buy some and stick a couple in your car/bag/purse/wherever so you always have acceptable food even if you forget lunch or get hungry at an unexpected time. I'm pretty sensitive to low blood sugar, so I've got a bar in a drawer at work, as well as my briefcase, glove compartment, and juggling props bag.

Other than that, sounds like a good day! Good luck defeating that cold.

Yeah that's a perfect idea! I just wish I had half a brain to follow through with it haha. I made up dozens of little baggies of nuts and seeds and I've got raw revolution bars and Lara bars (no grains) at home, but did I emember them? Nope.

I learned my lesson though, today I have two bars, three cheese sticks, and a bag of my "trail mix" in my pockets waiting to be eaten when I get hungry.

On a similar note, I was starving yesterday at 10am so I decided to make twice as much oatmeal this morning. I got mega full 3/4 of the way through and STOPPED. I put it in a Tupperware for tomorow. Normaly I would have just pounded it down, becuas e "if it's one my plate, I must eat it". I'm happy with my control, and it seems to be as much as I needed because its almost 10:30 and I'm still not hungry.

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

It's not only important, it's essencial. :) To be extreme imagine that your arm is blocked by a wall behind you. If you want to bow down, you'll have to open your elbow. Does that makes any sense?

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

It's not only important, it's essencial. :) To be extreme imagine that your arm is blocked by a wall behind you. If you want to bow down, you'll have to open your elbow. Does that makes any sense?

Yes! I think I get it! *eagarly waits to go home and try this*

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Oh and I forgot.....@ aeryn: Juggling props bag? ........do elaborate...

It's... the bag I keep my juggling stuff in? Just kidding - yes, I'm a juggler. Not professionally or anything, just a hobby - there's a local group that meets every Saturday morning to pass clubs and work on various skills. I learned to juggle as a teenager, did it off and on for a while, then got more involved in the past few years. I'm up to 5 balls, 4 clubs, and one of my friends at the group and I are working on passing 8 clubs. There's a quick video of me doing 4 clubs here - that's from the end of my second challenge, where 4 club juggling was one of my goals.

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

It's... the bag I keep my juggling stuff in? Just kidding - yes, I'm a juggler. Not professionally or anything, just a hobby - there's a local group that meets every Saturday morning to pass clubs and work on various skills. I learned to juggle as a teenager, did it off and on for a while, then got more involved in the past few years. I'm up to 5 balls, 4 clubs, and one of my friends at the group and I are working on passing 8 clubs. There's a quick video of me doing 4 clubs here - that's from the end of my second challenge, where 4 club juggling was one of my goals.

That is so beyond cool. You are my new hero. I have been trying to get past juggling just three balls for like, five years. I suck....badly. 

And OMG that video is amazing. it makes me dizzy.

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Haha, I feel your "pain" I'm 6'2 and have always been taller than most dudes, so craning your neck and stuff... It'll get better with time. PLUS, you're taller now...it should be everyone trying to reach YOUR eye lvl and not the other way around :tongue:

Try some ganoderma coffee or tea for your cold. I distribute stuff like that through Serenigy. I've been taking the stuff since July and haven't had any issues with colds, sinus infections, or any other winter ugliness. The red tea from Serenigy is excellent and filled with antioxidants :) Give it a try if ya get a chance!

Wolf

See I need to meet more tall people like you haha. Most of the people I know come to my shoulder....I really shouldn't be growing at my age!! GAH. Well actually, I have been doing a lot of bridges, and doesn't it say somewhere that you can add a few inches of height by bridging? that might be it.

and antioxidants FTW. I'm eating blueberries right now. In addition the the 4000mg of VitC I took with breakfast, and the orange juice, and the Emergen-C I have in my water bottle. I am actually feeling better.

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

That is so beyond cool. You are my new hero. I have been trying to get past juggling just three balls for like, five years. I suck....badly. 

And OMG that video is amazing. it makes me dizzy.

Heh, thanks! The trick to four balls is that it's just two in each hand. Most four-ball patterns don't cross at all. So practice two in one hand a LOT, particularly with your non-dominant hand.

The other thing is to learn lots of 3-ball tricks - behind the back, under the leg, one over the top, shower, columns, etc. This also makes you popular with small children, who will never care that you can do four balls - they want to see you throw one REALLY HIGH and catch it again, still juggling. Or eat an apple.

Level 13 Elven Assassin

I MUST see a video of this...

...Well that was a disappointing end to that sentence.

...And now I'm laughing so hard my abs hurt. There's a reason I'm a designer, not a writer!

Level 13 Elven Assassin

you know your juggling skills are legit when you can juggle your friends. [hint, get small friends].

Training report:

No points deducted today, ate well. LOTS of vitamin c, plus a glass of orange juice and two of grapefruit juice, and a tablespoon of honey on a spoon for its antibacterial +throat coating properties. I will not let this sickness take over. My body keeps trying to have a sore throat and I keep saying NO. 

It;s not a a running day, but I ended up walking 10k today for work. It didn't even feel tiring, even though I am immune-depleted. I was happy about that. Secret agents need stamina to travel long distances. 

Did my 30 minutes of violin, and I am slowly starting to have less wonky-bow [more elbow = more wrist = less bow wobble all over]. I'm still no where near parallel 100% of the time but my range of motion margin is smaller and I can stay fully straight about 40% of the time. It's a work in progress. 

On another note, I got in a random kid-mode this week and made THE MOST AWESOME SNOWMEN EVER!!!

50ee3276628f7_IMG_2112.jpg

50ee32bc76e39_IMG_2135.jpg

And then they battle!!

50ee32f8c1b45_IMG_2139.jpg

So I'm taking tomorrow as a rest day and Im going to sleep in as long as I need to to try to fight this bug off. 

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Happienumber,

Consider your thread and awesome self being followed on here.  Lindsey Sterling is AWESOME!  I can't wait to see the video of you playing the first verse by the end of this! 

Btw, completely elite snowmen!  I grinned from ear to ear! 

I can't wait to see what awesomeness you accomplish this challenge!  Keep up the awesome work!

- Fear

Fear, level 3 Blade Runner AssassinSTR 5|DEX 6|STA 6|CON 4|WIS 7|CHA 5

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines