• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

prefect42

Prefect's 28 Day Challenge: Let's Get Physical

Before anyone asks, yes I will be wearing Olivia Newton-John's sweet workout gear for the entirety of this Challenge:

Posted Image

"Oh hi. I didn't see you there."

Alright, so I think I've officially decided to go for the full-on reduced calorie, HIIT/circuit training extravaganza that is a true cutting phase. Part of me is still afraid that I will lose some of my muscle/strength gains, but I'm hoping that so long as I am throwing in regular bodyweight exercises with an occasional day of light lifting, as well as keeping my protein intake high, that I'll be able to minimize that. Mostly, I am just tired of carrying this extra fat around. (It don't look good, neither.)

Goal 1: Workout 5 days a week.

This will actually be a pretty big shift for me, since I'm really only lifting 3 days a week now and not doing much else. I don't want to give myself a rigid schedule as to what I have to do each day, but for now, I am thinking that I'd like to do HIIT (sprints/intervals on an indoor track) twice a week and a mix of bodyweight circuits, burpees, maybe yoga and/or pilates, etc. the other three days.

Goal 2: BURPEES CHALLENGE REDUX

So maybe this is more like Goal 1A, but given my utter failure on my burpees goal last month, I feel like I need to redeem myself. Right now, rather than given myself 1 burpees day a week, I am going to shoot for a minimum of 250 burpees a week, or 1,000 over the course of the Challenge.

Goal 3: Find a comfortable calorie level for weight-loss and stick to it.

Still in the process of figuring out exactly what my general daily calorie range is going to be, but I’m thinking something around 1600-2200. By comparison, I’ve been floating in the 3300-3800 range for the last few months. Hoo boy, it’s gonna be a fun month.

Goal 4: Finish furnishing my apartment.

My place is still looking a little sparse and I’m getting tired of feeling like I can’t invite people over for dinner, so I am fixing that this month. On the plus side, I can count all of the IKEA assembly as a workout. :D

GO SQUAD FOUR!

Before anyone asks, yes I will be wearing Olivia Newton-John's sweet workout gear for the entirety of this Challenge:

pics or it didnt happen.

also, why the big change? no more squats? no more deadlifts?

:)

Yes, we will need pics of this!

pics or it didnt happen.

Crap.

also, why the big change? no more squats? no more deadlifts?

Don't worry, I'm not giving up on those whatsoever. I'm just afraid of trying to thread this needle of continuing to make strength gains while cutting fat. I have a feeling that in trying to do both, I'll achieve neither, and I'll have spent the month just treading water, or worse, backsliding. And right now, to avoid having to buy an entire new wardrobe, I need to cut some of this fat that's accumulated around my midsection. :P BEGONE!

I think I will still manage to get in at least one workout a week of some lower level weightlifting, if for no other reason than to continue to work on form. I won't be pushing my limits this month strength-wise though.

Don't worry, I'm not giving up on those whatsoever. I'm just afraid of trying to thread this needle of continuing to make strength gains while cutting fat. I have a feeling that in trying to do both, I'll achieve neither, and I'll have spent the month just treading water, or worse, backsliding. And right now, to avoid having to buy an entire new wardrobe, I need to cut some of this fat that's accumulated around my midsection. :P BEGONE!

oh good :) youve been doing so well!

i am also trying to cut some of the fat this month, but i'm going to be trying to keep increasing on weights as well, just not at the aggressive numbers i've been trying to hit. i just... cant imagine a period of time without my barbell :D

we'll see how it works!

Posted Image

"Oh hi. I didn't see you there."

Alright, so I think I've officially decided to go for the full-on reduced calorie, HIIT/circuit training extravaganza that is a true cutting phase. Part of me is still afraid that I will lose some of my muscle/strength gains, but I'm hoping that so long as I am throwing in regular bodyweight exercises with an occasional day of light lifting, as well as keeping my protein intake high, that I'll be able to minimize that. Mostly, I am just tired of carrying this extra fat around. (It don't look good, neither.)

Goal 1: Workout 5 days a week.

This will actually be a pretty big shift for me, since I'm really only lifting 3 days a week now and not doing much else. I don't want to give myself a rigid schedule as to what I have to do each day, but for now, I am thinking that I'd like to do HIIT (sprints/intervals on an indoor track) twice a week and a mix of bodyweight circuits, burpees, maybe yoga and/or pilates, etc. the other three days.

Goal 2: BURPEES CHALLENGE REDUX

So maybe this is more like Goal 1A, but given my utter failure on my burpees goal last month, I feel like I need to redeem myself. Right now, rather than given myself 1 burpees day a week, I am going to shoot for a minimum of 250 burpees a week, or 1,000 over the course of the Challenge.

Goal 3: Find a comfortable calorie level for weight-loss and stick to it.

Still in the process of figuring out exactly what my general daily calorie range is going to be, but I’m thinking something around 1600-2200. By comparison, I’ve been floating in the 3300-3800 range for the last few months. Hoo boy, it’s gonna be a fun month.

Goal 4: Finish furnishing my apartment.

My place is still looking a little sparse and I’m getting tired of feeling like I can’t invite people over for dinner, so I am fixing that this month. On the plus side, I can count all of the IKEA assembly as a workout. :D

GO SQUAD FOUR!

IKEA ASSEMBLY AS WORKOUT?????? I'M THERE!

This is the best challenge ever. Also, I want to be on your squad. How do I get a squad number? I am having flashbacks to being last picked for kickball here.

Good luck!

This is the best challenge ever. Also, I want to be on your squad. How do I get a squad number? I am having flashbacks to being last picked for kickball here.

From the looks of it, you're already all squadded up. :) But we can be secret squad teammates!

Tuesday's Workout

Squats

5x45

3x65

3x95

3x115

2x160

2x160

5x140

5x140

5x140

5x140

5x140

Bench Press

5x45

5x95

4x115

5x115

3x115

3x115

3x115

Sort of ran out of time here before I had to head to work, so that was it. Sort of psyched that I made it through 5x5x140, but I'll be honest, some of those reps were not pretty. Maybe I'll make that (or 135) my working weight for most of this month....unless I'm feeling particularly badass.

As for the bench, yeah, I'm gonna need to find a regular spotter. I probably could've pushed through to 4 or maybe even 5 on some of those sets of 3, but my arms were definitely shaky and I didn't want to push it.

Today was my first real day of testing out my new calorie levels, and I think I did okay. Not having much food in the house required me to grab some takeout for lunch so that's a bit of a wildcard, but I think I probably came in around 2100-2200 cals.

Also, did 75 burpees throughout the day. Only 175 more to do over the next three days!

I just figured out how to find my squad thread. This may be why I am last picked. No one will know we are secret teammates! Oh wait.

Loved that challenge. But it's better that we're all on different squads now. This way, the Shadow Government's influence is more spread out, making it easier for us to infiltrate and take this thing down FROM THE INSIDE.

Oh hiiiii, Steve. :D

Who's plotting? :D

Set my alarm to wake up and run intervals yesterday. At least, I thought I did. Note to self: 745 is not the same as 545. It was probably just as well because WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME MY CALVES WOULD BE THIS SORE FROM BURPEES? Good lord.

I did manage to power through this morning and get a run in at the gym. Legs were still a little sore from the burpees so I held off on the intervals for now. Managed to do 4 miles on the track in about 34 minutes, or 8:30/mi. I'm pretty happy with that, since this is the first time I've run anything over a mile in probably 5 months. Also that would put me at about Rank 3 for the 5K skill/achievement. Speaking of which, I really need to do my character sheet.

Thursday Nutrition

Cals: 2316

Protein: 182g

Fat: 110g

Carbs: 161g

Carbs were higher than I'd like, but I have been eating the rest of a delicious (and homemade!) pizza for lunch the last couple of days, i.e. TOTALLY WORTH IT.

This weekend might be a bit more iffy as I have a friend staying with me tonight and tomorrow. I will just try to be good and get in some bodyweight stuff where I can tomorrow, and then plan on hitting the gym again Sunday for some intervals, provided my legs haven't revolted at that point.

Oh, best part of today. I finish parking my car in the lot for my apartment building and am walking towards the door thinking, "man, that was a great run, I feel really good," when BAM--hello ice patch. It was definitely a full on Flintstones fall, leg swept out from under me, body totally horizontal for a good .5 seconds before crashing to the ground. Yeah, that was awesome.

I was worried at first because it absolutely killed to put any weight on my left leg at all, shooting pains from my foot up to my hip, but I think that was my body just absorbing the shock. It's been more or less fine the rest of the day. Here's hoping anyway.

All you New Englanders/midwesterners/Canadians/entire world that is covered in snow/ice, be careful out there!

All you New Englanders/midwesterners/Canadians/entire world that is covered in snow/ice, be careful out there!

It feels like we've be thrust into a George R. R. Martin novel.

Or maybe that's just me.

This weekend was great, if a bit of a blowout on the food and booze side of things. On the plus side, at the tapas place where I went to dinner on Friday I had something that is totally paleo and probably not that hard to make: chorizo and figs in a balsamic reduction. Holy crap, so delicious. Also, marinated mushrooms and melted goat cheese. Also, everything else we had.

Saturday, I got myself up and hit the gym for some intervals.

.5 mile warmup -- 4:22

2 miles of intervals, 1/8 mi. each lap

For the first mile, I sprinted the first half of the lap, then jogged the second.

For the second mile, I walked the first half of the lap, then sprinted the second.

Total time for the 2 miles: 20:28

Also, ow. Who needs new running shoes? Me. Just ordered some today so hopefully they should arrive in the next couple of days. Tomorrow morning's game plan: bodyweight exercise circuit! Probably a slightly modified one from the Rebel Fitness Guide. Haven't done one of those in awhile, so it's sure to destroy me.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

THUNDERCATS HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The best part about working out at home: I can hit the snooze button for a good 30 minutes and still do my full workout and get to the office on time.

This morning was my first run through one of the Level 4 circuit workouts in the Rebel Fitness Guide (I forget which). For me, this was:

10 overhead squats

5 plyometric pushups

10 step-ups with kickback (15lb dumbbells in each hand)

10 bent-over dumbell rows (20lb dumbbells in each hand)

10 lateral dumbbell raises (15lb dumbbells in each hand)

15 reverse crunches

20 jumping jacks

1st run: 5:39

2nd run: 5:13

3rd run: 5:02

Overall: 15:55

I find it a little weird that my time decreased throughout the workout. That first run was slower in part because I needed to keep consulting the list to see what came next, and in part because I started with 25lb dumbbells on the rows, which was doable, but I needed to pause mid-set. Apparently though, I just wasn't busting my ass hard enough, so I'll be looking to lower my time on this.

Supposedly my new running shoes shipped, so hopefully they will arrive in the next couple of days. My feet and lower legs are still in pain from running on Saturday, so suffice it to say that all running activities are suspended until the new shoes arrive.

You're doing great! Your dedication is inspiring hahaha, I can't wrap my head around doing 10 burpees, let alone 250.

Thanks Martin! They are truly the bane of my existence. That being said, they do seem to get a tiny bit easier every time I do them.

Speaking of, I managed to do 75 of them last night. I really really need to step up for this goal, though. My calves were so sore last week that I only managed that one day of 75. So that brings my current burpees total for the Challenge to a whopping 150. And I need to have 500 done by the end of Saturday. It's going to be a fun couple of days!

Running shoes should arrive tomorrow, just in time for some ass-kicking intervals Friday morning before work.

Overslept this morning so I didn't have time for some circuit training, but I will do that when I get home. And before I make some delicious chicken tikka masala. But no rice this time! Stupid carbs.

What kind of shoes did you get? I am debating picking up a pair of vibrams when my tax refund comes in...

I have yet to hop aboard the Vibrams train, though I am definitely curious. I actually saw some dude running around in them today. On the snow and ice. Oy.

I got a pair of Saucony Hurricanes 12. I had whatever the previous iteration of them was and they were great for me. This just reminded me to check the tracking number on UPS and they were delivered earlier today. Woo!

In other news, craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap still way behind on my burpees. Ended up doing some circuit training again last night:

10 prisoner squats

5 plyometric pushups

10 step-ups with kickback (15lb dumbbells in each hand)

10 bent-over dumbell rows (20lb dumbbells in each hand)

10 lateral dumbbell raises (15lb dumbbells in each hand)

20 reverse crunches

20 jumping jacks

1st run: 5:08

2nd run: 4:57

3rd run: 5:21

Overall: 15:27

Carved off 28 seconds since last time so I guess I'm moving slightly faster. Despite feeling pretty exhausted by that final circuit, I still feel like I need to do more than just 15 minutes of exercise. Maybe I'll add in a 4th run or tack on a whole bunch of burpees (yes, this) next time.

Also, just going to say, my chicken tikka masala is freaking delicious and there's lots of it leftover for dinner tonight (and probably tomorrow, too). I'm not making any rice to go with it so I've just been eating it with a big spoon. :D

Got another 75 burpees in on Thursday which gave me a grand total for the week of.....150. 300 for the month so far. Yikes. 700 to go in the next two weeks if I want to meet my goal, we'll see. May need to adopt a "grease the groove" approach for these and just do sets of ten whenever I have a minute around the apartment.

Took most of the weekend off, but I did get into the gym this morning to try out the new running shoes.

.5 mile warm-up, 4:24

1st mile - 8:14

8 laps, jogging half, sprinting half

2nd mile - 10:13

8 laps, walking half, sprinting half

1 mile cooldown - 8:48

Felt pretty good, though my knee has felt all messed up since earlier this weekend. I slipped on some ice on Friday and I'm worried that something might have gotten tweaked. Guess I need to take it easy this week--just need to be careful with it.

On the plus side, I've definitely lost at least a pound or two so far. When I started this month, it was reading around 167-168 with my workout gear on, and today it was around 164-165. It would be great to be down 6-8 pounds by March, so here's to that! (I probably shouldn't be toasting to that with a beer, but whatever, it's Sunday, give me a break. :))

oh hi prefect.

still waiting for that photo, i am.

:)

Okay, so I may have slightly lied when I said I would be going all ONJ at the gym. However, when I get home later, I promise I will upload an even more ridiculous picture of me in outstandingly '80s garb. Prepare to be amazed (and horrified).

In other news, yep, my knee is borked. Grr.