• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

prefect42

Prefect's 28 Day Challenge: Let's Get Physical

For your '80s fulfillment: see attached. Yes, this costume actually exists in nature.

In decidely less neon news, it hurt to walk on my right knee for most of the day. I'm going to need to change up my workouts and overall goals for this month since I really don't need to make things worse. Somehow, I don't think jumping up and down for burpees is going to be helpful for knee recovery.

Time to go crazy on my upper body! I may experiment with some yoga as well, but I already know some poses are going to be tough on the knee, so we'll see.

Any rebels that've had lower body injuries: what did you do to keep active while healing?

post-348-13567242862585_thumb.jpg

hahaha awesome :)

ok so, you cant use your knee, huh? is it bad enough you cant do pushups or planks?

dips

presses (seated)

bench presses (though puts weight on the heels)

and of course, handstands :)

Pushups are a go. I should know, I cranked out 100 last night after some desperation over not being able to run. And then another 25 this morning, just 'cause. :) I haven't done any planks yet, but I assume those would be fine, too, since I can hold the top pushup position okay.

I'm sorry, did you say handstands, plural? I'm not even sure I could do one. Maybe with my back against the wall....totally trying that tonight!

Thanks, though! My knee feels better than it did yesterday, so I'm hoping this is a "let it rest this week and it'll be fine" sort of scenario. Fingers crossed.

Just in case it's not, though, I am going to change my burpees goal (1,000 over 4 weeks) to a pushups goal (1,000 over 2 weeks). Assuming I only do pushups every other day to give my muscles a rest, it'll mean I have to do about 170 pushups every other day to make it. I think it's totally doable. And if you want in, I just made it a PVP Challenge so go sign up!

This way, my workout life is even more like an RPG. The burpees are the big bad that you encounter absurdly early in the game and it kills you off in 5 seconds, but it's a battle you're meant to lose. Then, you encounter it a few more times, but it always escapes once you've gotten its HP down to a certain level. Until the final encounter where you destroy it once and for all. :)

Edited by prefect42
math fail. did not have enough coffee.

This way, my workout life is even more like an RPG. The burpees are the big bad that you encounter absurdly early in the game and it kills you off in 5 seconds, but it's a battle you're meant to lose. Then, you encounter it a few more times, but it always escapes once you've gotten its HP down to a certain level. Until the final encounter where you destroy it once and for all. :)

HAHAHA I hate it when the boss is so hard and you're like "WTF, okay we're meant to lose this one" and when you die you hit game over. Talk about being kicked when you're already down.

Totally beside the point but yes, I admire the fact that you didn't give up when your knee conked out. Your pushups goal is just as challenging as the burpees I think, I don't think I'm going to attempt either anytime soon hahaha! Good luck with that, we'll be watching :o

HAHAHA I hate it when the boss is so hard and you're like "WTF, okay we're meant to lose this one" and when you die you hit game over. Talk about being kicked when you're already down.

Oh god, that is the WORST. I know I've posted this here before, but it bears re-posting:

http://i.imgur.com/bFeoW.jpg

"Oh, it's a story battle. Victory is impossible."

"Androgynous special attack! Reduced to 1 HP!"

"Oh, it's not a story battle. I just suck."

"GAME OVER."

For your '80s fulfillment: see attached. Yes, this costume actually exists in nature.

In decidely less neon news, it hurt to walk on my right knee for most of the day. I'm going to need to change up my workouts and overall goals for this month since I really don't need to make things worse. Somehow, I don't think jumping up and down for burpees is going to be helpful for knee recovery.

Time to go crazy on my upper body! I may experiment with some yoga as well, but I already know some poses are going to be tough on the knee, so we'll see.

Any rebels that've had lower body injuries: what did you do to keep active while healing?

OH MY GOD! YOU ARE SO AWESOME!

Additionally, how have you managed to dodge the aging process in the last couple of decades? I think God daily that my parents were too mortified to take any pictures of me in my late 80's tail end of new wave phase. Actually, they also prevented a lot of more over the top fashioniness on my part. That may have been good, judging from existing photographic evidence of my 90's experiments with tasteful dressing. Oh yeah, and the multi-pierced, pink haired housewife era. That was sweet.

Okay, lower body injury workouts:

balance balls are your friends. Rest your legs, just above the injured part, on the ball and do as many different push-ups as you can think of. Resistance bands can be used similarly. A lot of bicep and tricep db exercises can be done seated, and most importantly, find some parallel bars. Tons of good stuff can be done on those. Now is the time to attack your chin-up and pull-up ambitions.

I hope you feel better soon! Don't act like me!

Additionally, how have you managed to dodge the aging process in the last couple of decades?

Well, that might be because that picture is only 3.5 years old. :) In reality, I look older than I actually am. I'm 25, but people routinely peg me for early, mid 30s.

Oh yeah, and the multi-pierced, pink haired housewife era. That was sweet.

That sounds awesome. Photographic evidence, please!

Thanks for the workout tips. I haven't gotten back into the gym with the knee, but I hope to change that this week.

Unfortunately, I think we've moved out of "it might still get better" territory with my knee, so I need to try to get in to see the doctor in the next couple of weeks. Grr. I'm feeling really frustrated. I was really looking forward to going a little nuts with the cardio this month and hopefully dropping some weight, which is pretty much off the table. I'm still trying to keep my calories low, but without being able to get my heart pounding, the weight loss is going to be slower.

On the plus side, I've managed to stick to my new pushups goal. Right now, I'm at 560 pushups total with another 6 days to go. I want to get to at least 600 or 650 before bed tonight.

In other news, I'm now a godfather! Once my nephew old enough, I'll have to teach him how to squat and deadlift. :)

Thanks! I feel like I am so not godfather material, but my nephew is ridiculously adorable and therefore, very hard to say no to. :)

Miraculously enough, I DID hit my pushup goal. Just barely. I'll give some more details in my challenge wrap-up.

I don't know what to do about the knee. It was bad for a couple of weeks, but then started feeling more or less okay again, so I put off going to the doctor. I am going to try to hit the gym again in the next day or so and give the recumbent bike a shot to gently test it. We'll see how that goes--keep your fingers crossed! Thanks for checking in. :)

Re-posted from the Challenge Wrap-up Thread:

I'll be honest, this challenge was a bit of a disaster. I started off okay, but two weeks in ran into a knee problem that more or less killed my cardio, and spent the last week (and this week) sick.

Overall Grade: C+

Goal 1: Workout 5 days a week. -- F

Really fell short here. I would like to give myself higher than an F, but even during the first two weeks when I had no good reason not to be at it 5 days a week, I only got 3 or 4 workouts in.

Goal 2: Burpees Challenge Redux --> Pushups Challenge! -- A-

My knee problem threw my burpees challenge out the window, which is probably for the best because god knows I wasn't going to make it to 1,000 over the month. I still managed 300 in the first two weeks though, so I'll take that.

With two weeks to go, I changed my goal to 1,000 pushups before the Challenge's end...and I made it! Really happy about that one.

Goal 3: Find a comfortable calorie level for weight-loss and stick to it. -- C+

I didn't do as well as I could have here. I made a strong effort at cutting back the calories while maintaining good protein levels, but my tracking fell by the wayside a bit and I had more days off the wagon than I'd like. I haven't weighed myself in the last week or so so I don't have a good metric here, though I had lost a pound or two mid-way through the challenge and I think I at least maintained that level.

Goal 4: Finish furnishing my apartment. -- B+

Making progress here, but a long way to go. At least now I have a couch, a rug, and a dining room table and chairs. Getting there!

Need to regroup this weekend and get my head on straight for the start of the next challenge on Monday!