lexphoenix begins her apprenticeship

lyranedara

I ran with the Rangers for a while, but I've always felt I was more of an Assassin at heart. I oscillate between dumbbell and bodyweight-only training, but I've come to realize that I have more fun with and am more proud of the bodyweight feats I achieve than any other test of strength. I'd started working through GMB's Floor 1 in November, but had to take a break after dealing with a particularly nasty stomach bug. While I was recovering, I had plenty of time to think about what it is I really want, and what it will take to get there. I want to be able to do things like

, and make them look easy. My first step is going to be mastering the progressions of the hollow hold before I return to Floor 1. I want to be working on the final progression when I begin the program. While I'll still be using dumbbells (mainly for lower body work), I'll be training with minimal equipment.

Goal 1: Incorporate the hollow hold into 2 workouts per week, and randomly practice at other times throughout the week. Continue practicing crow stand at least 2x/week, and progress when a 60 second hold is easy. +3STA +1STR

Goal 2: Improve flexibility and mobility. Complete a morning warm up immediately upon waking. Stretch after each workout. Complete a longer yoga flow 2x per week. +3 DEX

Goal 3: Improve strength to bodyweight ratio. I'm going to be following Nate Miyaki's intermittent feast guide and continuing with my strength training (at least 3x/week). +3CON +2STR

Goal 4: Stay sane by journaling daily. I've set up a Google calendar to email me the topic of the day. I schedule these a week in advance. +2WIS +1CHA

Stats:
Level 3
STR: 12.25
DEX: 5.25
STA: 11
CON: 11
WIS: 8.25
CHA: 2.75

Grading:

1: % of total workouts completed for each hold.
2: % of days goal met. If one of goals is missed, day doesn't count.
3: % of meals in compliance with ideal, minus 1 meal per week. % of workouts completed.
4: % of days journal completed.

Welcome to the Assassins! Nice goals, and they're definitely assassin-y. I'm working on hollow holds at the moment, too - they're tough! Looking forward to seeing where this goes for you.

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Welcome back! It is not my official goal, but I am working on getting up to 60 seconds iwith the crow too. Love that video, what an inspiration. I am also working on hollow body. I like the excercises for bodyline in this article

http://www.pandf.com.au/docs/2012/wrist-mobility_bodyline-exercises_handstands.pdf

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Welcome back! It is not my official goal, but I am working on getting up to 60 seconds iwith the crow too. Love that video, what an inspiration. I am also working on hollow body. I like the excercises for bodyline in this article

http://www.pandf.com.au/docs/2012/wrist-mobility_bodyline-exercises_handstands.pdf

Thanks for the link! I'm going to rearrange some things in my schedule to get work some of those exercises in. And good luck with your crow!

Last year, I spent a lot of time building my upper body strength. It's so much more fun! I'm going to be giving a bit more attention to my lower body this year.

1/3/13

Warm up + MovNat and glute drills

A1: SLRDL 3x6

A2: DB ham curls (hips off bench) 3x12

A3: Hip extensions 3x25

Rest 2 minutes between rounds.

B1: Hollow hold (bent knee) 2x40s

B2: Superman 2x40s

Rest 2 minutes between rounds.

Tabata jump squats and high knees

Cool down and stretch

CONSISTENCY

Hollow body practice: 1/1

Morning warm up: 1/1

PWO stretch: 1/1

Fueling properly: 3/3

Journal: 1/1

Hey, nice goals you got there! I like your idea of getting google to email you a journal topic, seems like a brilliant way to overcome writers block. I may have to give that a try one day, seeing as how my writers block has been going on for, like, a decade...

Good luck with it all!!

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Hey, nice goals you got there! I like your idea of getting google to email you a journal topic, seems like a brilliant way to overcome writers block. I may have to give that a try one day, seeing as how my writers block has been going on for, like, a decade...

Good luck with it all!!

Thanks! I tried finding something online that would send me fitness journal prompts, but had to give up eventually and come up with something on my own. At least creating them myself keeps them relevant to my goals. Best of luck to you as well!

Sweet goals. Thanks for posting that video. Awesome and inspiring. I definitely want to be able to do that stuff smoothly. I'd be curious to hear how you like Floor I. Good luck with the goals!

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Current Challenge: Sea Level I : Respawn
Pro Aris et Focis

"To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying, The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying."

Sweet goals. Thanks for posting that video. Awesome and inspiring. I definitely want to be able to do that stuff smoothly. I'd be curious to hear how you like Floor I. Good luck with the goals!

I got through the first 4 weeks of the program and loved every minute of it! It comes with several video tutorials, and each phase is broken down into a way that makes sense. The only thing I was struggling with was the handstand hold. Everything else progressed rather quickly and effortlessly. I should mention that it comes with two versions, a beginner and intermediate program. I think each is about 14 weeks, so it's several months worth of programming. :)

1/4/13

Warm up + L-sit crawl, lateral inchworm, shoulder bridge crawl

A1: Inverted press 3x5 (These felt really strong and under control.)

A2: Pull up 3x5 (Great. Glad to see I hadn't lost any strength.)

B: Crow hold 2x40s (Feeling good. Easy.)

C: Tripod pike extension 3x3 (Really trying to emphasize full extension. That point at the top where I'm balancing and feel weightless still freaks me out a bit, lol.)

D: KB high pull 4x30s ES

Cool down and stretches

It's crazy how much more in control I feel of my upper body. I can feel every inch of me working. I'm aware of what every part is doing. I really need to work on developing that level of connection through my lower body. I haven't quite decided how to do it yet. 

CONSISTENCY

Morning warm up: 2/2

PWO stretch: 2/2

Fueling properly: 6/6

Journal: 2/2

*applause* You're going great! And ... I may steal some of your programming when I get fit/strong/flexible enough to do any of it.

For body awareness, I've found yoga to be excellent. Tai Chi also has similar benefits in terms of being able to feel yourself in space, and feeling which muscles do what. Aside from that, it's just pure mindful repetition.

Half Dragon, Half Elf, Level 0.5 Assassin - I flame people when cranky, but I'm seriously kickass.STR 4 | DEX 2.5 | STA 3.25 | CON 5 | WIS 8.75 | CHA 4 | Challenges: 1  2 3 4 5 | myFitnessPal | Spreadsheet | fitbitChallenge 6, Back to the assassin's rootsBlog: float knowledge return wisdom;

Photography

Good luck!  And I agree, upper body is more fun and easier to see results, but don't neglect your lower body!  Because at the end of the day, you need your lower body to carry all of your new upper body muscle efficiently and effortlessly.  Balance in all things, my friend!

Chriskra, Level 1 Night Elf Ranger

STR 2|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 2|CHA 4

"The only easy day was yesterday"

Good luck!  And I agree, upper body is more fun and easier to see results, but don't neglect your lower body!  Because at the end of the day, you need your lower body to carry all of your new upper body muscle efficiently and effortlessly.  Balance in all things, my friend!

It's not that I haven't been doing any lower body work, but I've definitely been emphasizing my upper body in the quest for chin ups/pull ups. I think I need a lower body feat to help fully motivate me. The journey to a pistol squat begins! (I have no idea how long this will take, but at least I have a destination in mind.)

*applause* You're going great! And ... I may steal some of your programming when I get fit/strong/flexible enough to do any of it.

For body awareness, I've found yoga to be excellent. Tai Chi also has similar benefits in terms of being able to feel yourself in space, and feeling which muscles do what. Aside from that, it's just pure mindful repetition.

Thanks! I'm not sure I've got my program set up the way I want it yet. I got a lot of my ideas from GMB. :)

I'm going to try and be very mindful of every movement, and hopeful it'll eventually translate into better control. I just finished my longer yoga flow for today, and it felt great!

1/5/13

40 minutes yoga

My husband has agreed to be responsible for dinner on Saturday nights. It's the one meal/week that I don't prepare for us myself. Tonight, he opted for Chinese takeout. I had chicken, rice, bell peppers, onions, split peas, and a spring roll. Breakfast was my only other meal of the day (not intentionally), which was on plan.

CONSISTENCY

Morning warm up: 3/3

Yoga: 1/1

Fueling properly: 7/7

Journal: 3/3

1/6/13

Today didn't go as planned at all. My husband ended up having to go into work this morning, so my grocery trip has been pushed back to tomorrow. I also managed to forget to eat breakfast. I get started on something and I'll get hungry, and I'll tell myself I'll go cook as soon as I'm finished. Then I move on to something else, and the hunger goes away. I eventually had lunch around 1:30. Dinner was at 6, and off plan. My husband and son asked me to make calzones for dinner so they could have the leftovers for their lunches tomorrow. After spending an hour on that, I was hungry and lazy.

I've got to make sure I have some kind of quick meal in the fridge in case life happens and I don't feel like cooking! Tomorrow, I'm also going to have to start getting up early to get my morning warm up in. My son goes back to school, and I need to have it done before he gets up. He's starting first grade, so everything will be new again! He seems really excited though.

CONSISTENCY

Morning warm up: 4/4

Fueling properly: 8/9

Journal: 4/4

Warm up + crawls (Bear, duck walk, shrimp and reverse shrimp)
L-sit (tuck) 6 x 5sec
A1: Mixed grip chin ups 4 x 4
A2: Band hamstring curls 4 x 8
B1: FE row 4 x 5
B2: SL box squat 4 x 5ES (and roll deck pistol practice)
C1: Inverted Press 4 x 5
C2: SLRDL 4 x 8
Rested 60 seconds between exercises.

D1: Hollow hold (tucked) 2x45s
D2: Superman 2x45s
D3: Plank 2x45s

Rested briefly between circuit.

Cool down and brief yoga

CONSISTENCY

Hollow body practice: 2/2

Morning warm up: 5/5

PWO stretch: 3/3

Fueling properly: 11/12

Journal: 5/5

WHAT is a reverse shrimp crawl!? =D that just sounds awesome.

On a serious note, I hope you have better luck with your plan after today. It seems like everyone is having first day kinks to work out D= good luck!

Halfling; Samurai Assassin, Level 2

Challenge Number Three: Reboot

"Runners see the city in a different way. We see the flow... The flow is what keeps us running, keeps us alive."

ZOMBIES!!

WHAT is a reverse shrimp crawl!? =D that just sounds awesome.

On a serious note, I hope you have better luck with your plan after today. It seems like everyone is having first day kinks to work out D= good luck!

Here's the reverse shrimp. Animal crawls are probably my favorite part of the workout. :)

Thanks! Now, that the kitchen is stocked again, I hope to be back on track.  

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines