lexphoenix begins her apprenticeship

lyranedara

Hey, it's Ohren from Fitocracy. Wow, it looks like you are doing a great job keeping on track (and your puppy seems to get walked regularly!). I agree with Emissary, paying attention to food seems to make a big difference in how I feel at least. 

This is the first I've heard of the Hollow Hold, I think it may be fun to try! I hope you can make it to crow pose! 

Jeff

level 2 Piratical Ranger
STR 8 | DEX 2 | STA 8 | CON 4 | WIS 5 | CHA 3

Current Challenge X Find Me on Fitocracy X Add me on Run Keeper X

Hey, it's Ohren from Fitocracy. Wow, it looks like you are doing a great job keeping on track (and your puppy seems to get walked regularly!). I agree with Emissary, paying attention to food seems to make a big difference in how I feel at least. 

This is the first I've heard of the Hollow Hold, I think it may be fun to try! I hope you can make it to crow pose! 

Great to see you Jeffo! Maggie is really enjoying her extra walks. My husband and I aren't used to the Michigan winters, so we'd gotten lazy about how long we take her out for. She doesn't mind the cold at all. :)

I'm not sure I'd call the hollow hold fun, but it's great for building core strength, lol. GMB has a great tutorial on them in this article. Good luck!

interesting. I had to look up the hollow body hold and found a neat gymnastics website. That looks like an amazing core builder. I may need to try and incorporate that into my routine.

rybo, level 4 Human assassinSTR 16|DEX 7.5|STA 9|CON 12|WIS 8.5|CHA 5 

interesting. I had to look up the hollow body hold and found a neat gymnastics website. That looks like an amazing core builder. I may need to try and incorporate that into my routine.

It's helped me in a lot of ways already. I really notice how much more my core is "turned on" during all other exercises. It's also helped my focus. When I get into the longer holds, I really have to pay attention to what I'm doing to keep my body tense for the entire duration. Makes me sweat, lol.

AM walk with Maggie after warm up

Warm up + wrist prep

20 min countdown - crow play

• shifting weight side to side (much stronger on right than left)
  • one legged crow push ups
  • shooting from crow to chaturanga (scary the first time, but so much fun)
  • ended with 30 second hold

Vinyasas and stretching

My arms were dead after just 20 minutes, but that was incredibly fun! And I managed to do it without face planting ... today anyway. :)

Slightly sore: glutes, quads, hams, calves, rear delts

Tracked cals and water again. Doing great on that!

CONSISTENCY

Hollow body practice: 4/4

Crow practice: 4/4

Morning warm up: 13/13

PWO stretch: 10/10

Yoga: 3/3

Fueling properly: 34/35

Journal: 13/13

Doing great on your challenge. Congrats on the 60sec crow and the crow to chatarunga. That takes a lot of balance and strength

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

AM walk with puppy

Warm up

A1: Hindu push up: 4x8

A2: SLRDL 4x10

B1: Close grip pull up 4x4

B2: Bulgarian split squat 4x10

C1: Row 4x10

C2: Band curls (added band) 4x8

Rolling plank 20s each side

Bear crawl sprints 6x30s

I tried a new recipe for dinner tonight. Several Paleo recipes I've seen use coconut milk, so I thought I'd give one a try. It was fairly simple, and ended it up very bland. The kids really enjoyed it though, lol. It tasted good enough, so I may play around with tweaking it when I'm in the mood for something different. Tracked cals and water again today. I forgot how easy it can be to track cals when you repeat meals so often. :)

I took my measurements today. The scale says I'm down only half a pound in two weeks, but I've lost 1/8'' from hips, -3/4'' two inches above navel, 1 1/4'' at navel, and 1/8'' two inches below navel. I'll take it. :)

CONSISTENCY

Hollow body practice: 4/4

Crow practice: 4/4

Morning warm up: 14/14

PWO stretch: 11/11

Yoga: 3/3

Fueling properly: 37/38

Journal: 14/14

I took my measurements today. The scale says I'm down only half a pound in two weeks, but I've lost 1/8'' from hips, -3/4'' two inches above navel, 1 1/4'' at navel, and 1/8'' two inches below navel. I'll take it. :)

Damn scale, I'm always frustrated to see my numbers stay the same. Good idea on the measurements! I didn't take any before and I think I'll regret not knowing in a couple weeks. 

I'm still so excited about finally reaching the 60 second hold! I wasn't really supposed to until next time, but 55 sec felt so easy that I couldn't resist attempting the full minute. :) My next step will be to practice shifting my weight from one side to the other. Then I'll work on extending one leg at a time.

Well done! It sounds like you are making a lot of progress!

Jeff

level 2 Piratical Ranger
STR 8 | DEX 2 | STA 8 | CON 4 | WIS 5 | CHA 3

Current Challenge X Find Me on Fitocracy X Add me on Run Keeper X

Just caught up w/your challenge. Looks like you're doing great! I enjoy Thai food, which often uses coconut milk. Their curry paste does have a way of spicing it up, though. :P I'm not doing Paleo so I dunno if curry spices or paste are allowed. I'm super envious of the hand-balancing work you're doing, too... someday (a few challenges down the road).... :)

"You're not in it to get Most [Recognized Rebel Ever]. You're not in it to be eligible for prizes. You're in this because you made a promise to yourself and you refuse to let you down. Walk the talk. And even when you don't talk much, make the walk so powerful that it leaves no room for questions - from inside or out." -note to self

Str7.5 Dex6 Sta5.7 Con11.8 Wis10.4 Cha2

"Do not underestimate the determination of a quiet [person]." -Iain Duncan Smith

Intro post~Challenge 1~Challenge 2~Challenge 3~Challenge 4~DATALOG: E2O's transformation

"A warrior does not give up what he loves, he finds the love in what he does." - Dan Millman, Way of the Peaceful Warrior

wild Elven Adventurer Level 3

Wow, it's been such a long time since I've updated! Thursday evening, my husband called to say that his mother would be in town the next day. There's "clean," and then there is "MIL clean," so you can imagine how I spent the next several hours.

2.4 - 3.2

Hollow body practice: 2/2

Crow practice: 2/2

Morning warm up: 6/6

PWO stretch: 4/4

Yoga: 1/2

Fueling properly: 10/14

Journal: 4/6

It's clear where my priorities are when my daily routine gets messed up. It's so easy for me to stick to my strength training and skill practice, regardless of what happens in life. My workouts always feel like they are what recharge me and keep me centered. Meal prep feels like the part of my life that drains my energy. Sometimes, I feel like I have it backward. Shouldn't exercise drain me, and food nourish me? Several days, I only had two meals just to avoid the hassle. As for neglecting my journal, I didn't fill in my calendar on Friday like I normally would, so I wasn't getting email reminders. I still made a few quick notes on most days though.

Just caught up w/your challenge. Looks like you're doing great! I enjoy Thai food, which often uses coconut milk. Their curry paste does have a way of spicing it up, though. :tongue: I'm not doing Paleo so I dunno if curry spices or paste are allowed. I'm super envious of the hand-balancing work you're doing, too... someday (a few challenges down the road).... :)

Thanks for the tips! I'm not really trying to stick to "Paleo," but they usually have good real-food recipes. As for the handbalancing, I just started working on it in November. It had always been a "some day" thing for me too. :)

Damn scale, I'm always frustrated to see my numbers stay the same. Good idea on the measurements! I didn't take any before and I think I'll regret not knowing in a couple weeks. 

Well done! It sounds like you are making a lot of progress!

It's never too late to take measurements. :) I usually end up taking them on random days, but it's still nice to see the change!

Thanks for the tips! I'm not really trying to stick to "Paleo," but they usually have good real-food recipes. 

Yay! real-food. And isn't it great how exercise becomes self-motivating? I do very much wish the nutrition happened the same way... it's not the meal prep for me that's a hassle - I eat other people's food choices - but it's finding the mindset consistently to make good choices as far as what goes on my plate, and how much. I suppose if I was fixing my own meals I'd make a bunch of one meal then eat it for the rest of the week. Chicken breasts, steak, bacon - stuff that I could just toss on a huge bed of lettuce or put in a wrap with raw veggies and mustard. Can you find some way to cook for the whole week on your days off? That would take some of the decision-making out of 4 or 5 days, anyway. I can't remember if you're cooking for a family or just yourself... 

Hang in there! you're doing really well. :)

"You're not in it to get Most [Recognized Rebel Ever]. You're not in it to be eligible for prizes. You're in this because you made a promise to yourself and you refuse to let you down. Walk the talk. And even when you don't talk much, make the walk so powerful that it leaves no room for questions - from inside or out." -note to self

Str7.5 Dex6 Sta5.7 Con11.8 Wis10.4 Cha2

"Do not underestimate the determination of a quiet [person]." -Iain Duncan Smith

Intro post~Challenge 1~Challenge 2~Challenge 3~Challenge 4~DATALOG: E2O's transformation

"A warrior does not give up what he loves, he finds the love in what he does." - Dan Millman, Way of the Peaceful Warrior

wild Elven Adventurer Level 3

Just a minor bump when life threw you a curve ball, you are still doing geat.

The fact that you can fit anything in on a day like that is impressive. By the time I get through cleaning, dishes, and laundry I'm ready for a nap!

Thanks, guys!  I'm trying not to let it get to me. It's just weird how some habits come so easily, and others feel like so much work, lol.

Yay! real-food. And isn't it great how exercise becomes self-motivating? I do very much wish the nutrition happened the same way... it's not the meal prep for me that's a hassle - I eat other people's food choices - but it's finding the mindset consistently to make good choices as far as what goes on my plate, and how much. I suppose if I was fixing my own meals I'd make a bunch of one meal then eat it for the rest of the week. Chicken breasts, steak, bacon - stuff that I could just toss on a huge bed of lettuce or put in a wrap with raw veggies and mustard. Can you find some way to cook for the whole week on your days off? That would take some of the decision-making out of 4 or 5 days, anyway. I can't remember if you're cooking for a family or just yourself... 

Hang in there! you're doing really well. :)

I'm also cooking for my husband and two kids (6 and 2). I've looked into freezer cooking, and once a month cooking, but the freezer in our apartment is tiny, lol. I usually have a few leftovers, though, so that definitely helps. My husband and son also like to take leftovers for their lunches. We'll be on the move again in a couple of years, so hopefully the situation improves. :)

A1: Neutral grip pull up 10x2 (set a timer to beep every 2 minutes)

A2: Band hamstring curls 4x10 (during rests in first 4 sets of pull ups)

B1: Reptile Push up 3x6

B2: Shrimp squat 3x6ES

B3: Hollow hold 3x20s

B4: Superman hold 3x20s

AMRAP in 3 minutes

Grasshopper x6

Hindu push ups x4

Rev lunges x2ES

6 or 7 rounds + 6 grasshoppers

20 min rolling

MovNat with 20lb bag

Stepping Over x 8
Stepping Under x 8

Lateral Figure Four Seated to Tall Split Kneeling (Alternate sides) x 8

Deep Knee Bend x 8

Deep Knee Bend Stances x 8 (Hold as long as you can.)

Split Squat (Alternate sides) x 8

Medium Kneeling to Tall Kneeling x 8

Deep Knee Bend to Tall Half-kneeling (Alternate sides) x 8

40 min yoga

CONSISTENCY

Hollow body practice: 7/7

Crow practice: 6/6

Morning warm up: 22/22

PWO stretch: 17/17

Yoga 5/6

Fueling properly: 53/58

Journal: 20/22

How do you like the MovNat stuff?  It looks pretty cool and I've been thinking about adding it into the rotation.

I've had a lot of fun with them. I usually do one of the workouts each week on a light day. Lately, I've been emphasizing the lower body, and it's helping me move in ways I haven't in a long time. I've also noticed a major increase in my dynamic hip flexibility since I've added the workouts. They post a lot of full-body workouts on their blog, and update their Facebook page frequently, if you're interested in seeing more from them. They talk a lot about scaling the workouts to your particular level, so you can make them as hard as you'd like. :)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines