FYI - New Challenge Forums will be live tomorrow ×

IRISHodabred's Don't Want to be Picked Last in Gym Class Goals

IRISHodabred

Great workout today!
Great workout!  Might steal the tabatas...  And the NF shirt idea, what a cool wife! 
That's def a great gym day!! Well done! And really great work on the food!
Great job! 

Thanks everybody! I'm looking forward to another body weight gym day tomorrow. My buddy is visiting and we made a pretty killer dinner last night. He too is leaning towards going Primal so we cooked up pork steaks with a mix of sliced sweet potato and carrot "fries". They were awesome!

♣IRISHodabred♣, Level 2 Celtic Hound Archon Ranger: STR 8|DEX 5|STA 6|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 6

2nd Challenge Log: Will Squat for...

1st Challenge Log: Gym Class Hero Challenge

“Discipline Is Choosing Between What You Want Now And What You Want Most.â€

"You have to do what others won't to achieve what others don't"

"Do or do not, there is no try"

Good workout and really well done on the food front. And, uh, mmmmmmmmmmm, Buuuuuushmillllllllls...... I can't wait til I wrap my lips around a good whiskey.

Way to go on the chin ups you've been dominating them on this challenge.  I can't do them unassisted yet.  In one of the classes at the gym the trainer showed us how to do the jumping pullup.  I like doing that better than with the assist machine; feels like i'm hitting my back and legs and cardio all at the same time that way.  I'm convinced that unassisted non jumping is the best way to go.  I want to get to that point sooner than later. 

--excellentworth-- 

level 2 Human. Adventurer at heart, training with the Rangers

Ps. 24:3,4

STR 4|DEX 3|STA 5|CON 6|WIS 5|CHA 5

More important than workouts....HOCKEY!!!!

That's nice of you to say KT although just because one plays, doesn't mean they're good. There's that saying, those who can't play, coach. LOL.

haha. Hey hey, I don't know about you, but I've found coaching is way tougher than actually competing. Give us coaches credit!

As much as I'm supposed to hate the Avs, I don't. I was always a big Joe Sakic, Patrick Roy, Forseberg fan but I'm a Red Wings fan due to Steve Yzerman and Nicklas Lidstrom. I was raised a Sabers fan (my dad is from there) and still root for them since I don't get many Wings games. I absolutely hate the Rangers oddly enough. My best friend growing up lives in Denver so I'd love to catch a Wings/Avs game sometime when visiting him. I can see if I'd make it out alive in my Yzerman jersey. LOL I still have a ton of old hockey cards in a box somewhere(baseball, football, basketball as well) from around that time too. I bet the bubble gum that came with them is still good too!

Thanks! Mmmmm...beer. 

HUZZAH! Go Wings!!

Awesome on the shirt! And whatever you do don't eat that bubblegum!! haha I hate hate hate the wings as a team but have a great  respect for the organization. They know how to put a solid team together year in and year out that's for sure. I am just hoping now that the lock out  is over  that the Avs players spent at least part of that extended off time doing  work :-/

Makes me wish the old Avs/Wings days.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide."

Formatting got all wacky so I had to edit:

kevralyn:

Thanks!

sammie:

Thanks! And there's not much that beats a nice whiskey/bourbon after a long...well any day really.

excellent:

Thank you! I was surprised at my last workout. I think negative chins and pull-ups really have helped. Body weight rows also help. You'll get there. I've been working at them for a while now and started when it was tough to get just one.

KTRanger:

It definitely can be! Especially when you're standing on the sidelines during practice/games freezing your ass off when you know playing would be way warmer and more fun! LOL

Hell yeah! Go Wings! At least the NHL will be making a brief appearance.

♣IRISHodabred♣, Level 2 Celtic Hound Archon Ranger: STR 8|DEX 5|STA 6|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 6

Workout Log

1/12/13

Took my dog for a 45min nightime XC ski loop via headlamp in the woods last night. Beautiful night. Crappy skiing. Very icy and therefor sketchy around any significant declines. Almost wrecked myself at one point. It was peaceful and nice to be outside. I really enjoy being in the woods at night in the winter.

1/13/13

8:15am-8:45am

PBF body weight circuits per usual w/ 2min between the 2 circuits

Per circuit:

50 inclined pushups (1st set with TRX-meh, the straps kept rubbing so 2nd set I used bench and found it harder-because it's lower?)

10 negative chins/pull-ups (upped from 7)

25 R/L Bulgarian Squats

90sec plank + 45sec R/L side planks (for set 2 I did up/downs on the plank to work my chest a bit more)

Post circuit: 85lb standing shoulder press to fail x2: 12, 9 = 21 (+2 from last week)

All Primal this weekend. I may juice fast today or until dinner since our landlord is turning of our water to replace our broken kitchen faucet. It's been busted since Friday night which means we haven't been able to use the only water source on the first floor since Friday. Talk about something you take for granted. Having to walk upstairs to get a glass of water, fill the dog bowl, etc...is a pain in the ass! LOL (1st world problems) Dishes are piling up and I don't want to add any more to it.

Nice progress on the chin-ups.

That really sucks about the water.

HALF-OGRE
Level 3 Ranger / Level 1 Sexy Grandpa

Str: 10.75 Dex: 11 Sta: 9.25 Con: 7.5 Wis: 6.75 Cha: 5.75

"The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want most for what you want right nowâ€. ― Zig Ziglar

Introduction
Current 6 week challenge
My workout log

Specialization is for insects. Do all the things!

Quick goal update: Played Celtic whistle for 1hr 5min. Practiced some songs, made up some stuff, had fun. I have been putting it off for too long. IRISHodabred....OUT!

Looks like you're making great progress! Keep it up! How were the Bulgarian squats today? Love the walking planks :)

Thanks hun! They were tough per usual. Btw, smoking is unhealthy and not an attractive activity for you or Audrey. Just sayin...

Skiing and whistle practice?! Stuff weekends are made for!!

Hope your faucet is fixed!!!

How did the juicing go?

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Skiing and whistle practice?! Stuff weekends are made for!! Hope your faucet is fixed!!! How did the juicing go?

Couldn't have put it better myself! Faucet is fixed as of 3:30 today. Wahoo! Juicing went well. I'm just about fat adapted so I wasn't starving all day as I would have expected. I make a various takes on the "Mean Green" from the documentary "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead". It's good stuff. Thanks for asking!

Quick fitness/life level up efforts recap:

Played basketball last night and playing hockey tonight. (YES!)

Got my boss to agree to buy some stuff so I can transition my office desk/work station into a standing work station. (YES! I hope I don't regret it)

Found some additional cool music to start practicing on my tin whistle (Braveheart theme, Concerning Hobbits, & My Heart Will Go On aka Titanic Theme) My kickass wife, (JustKathy- Assassins) will be pumped for that last one although I'm slightly ashamed to post it as you can tell. (Yes! For the 1st two anyway)

Lastly, I have made the decision to start taking the stairs at work and to walk to work more often. *I did today* (I work on the 6th floor and live .5mi from my office) Living so close, aside from awful weather or having to drive somewhere right from work, I should be walking.

Good luck with the standing work station! I've been using a standing desk for about a year and a half now. I injured my lower back in college (rowing team, I don't miss those 3 a.m. wakeup calls!), and it's been pretty touchy since. I got my first desk job in '06 and within a few months my back went from bad to worse. Yoga/running helped but did not solve the problem. Then I set up a standing desk and -- magic! -- my back felt so much better, and is doing great now. So I can definitely recommend it. :)

Also, Concerning Hobbits is one of my favorite LotR tracks! Have fun learning it and the others.

Dúnadan Ranger

Level 2

STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 8 | CON 6 | WIS 6 | CHA 4

Current 6-Week Challenge

Found some additional cool music to start practicing on my tin whistle (Braveheart theme, Concerning Hobbits, & My Heart Will Go On aka Titanic Theme) My kickass wife, (JustKathy- Assassins) will be pumped for that last one although I'm slightly ashamed to post it as you can tell. (Yes! For the 1st two anyway)

No need for shame--play it proudly and with feeling. If anybody calls you on it, hand them the whistle and have them play something.

drsloomis: level 5 human assassin

STR: 15 | DEX: 17 | CON: 12 | STA: 12 | WIS: 14 | CHA: 8

Current Challenge

I love walking to work.  It's a great way to transition my day.  I usually ride a bike but really love the walking.

Your successes remind me to put in my plug (again) for a standing desk at work.  Have almost convinced boss.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Good luck with the standing work station! I've been using a standing desk for about a year and a half now. I injured my lower back in college (rowing team, I don't miss those 3 a.m. wakeup calls!), and it's been pretty touchy since. I got my first desk job in '06 and within a few months my back went from bad to worse. Yoga/running helped but did not solve the problem. Then I set up a standing desk and -- magic! -- my back felt so much better, and is doing great now. So I can definitely recommend it. :)

Also, Concerning Hobbits is one of my favorite LotR tracks! Have fun learning it and the others.

Glad to hear that you dig the standing desk and that it helped your back. I have some back issues as well so maybe that will help me out. Talk about a bonus if it does!

No need for shame--play it proudly and with feeling. If anybody calls you on it, hand them the whistle and have them play something.

Now that's some perspective! Thanks! Will do!

I love walking to work.  It's a great way to transition my day.  I usually ride a bike but really love the walking.

Your successes remind me to put in my plug (again) for a standing desk at work.  Have almost convinced boss.

I really enjoy walking as well. It's a great time to get some thinking done not to mention getting some fresh air in before sitting (standing soon enough) in the office for most of the day. Best of luck with the desk!

Thanks for the shoutout about the shirt! Great work on the whistle!

You're welcome (You earned it) and thanks. I bet you can't wait to come home this weekend and listen to me practice! Lucky you!

Nice music choices to learn! Movie soundtracks are definitely under-appreciated in my opinion

A word of advice: I stand all day at work (coffee shop) and I find that if I've had a while off the first week or so can be a bit rough - my lower back will be sore - but after that I get used to it pretty quickly. The coffee shop's at a university, so I didn't work this summer, and coming back after 4 months off was not fun! If you're transitioning to a standing desk you might want to leave an option to sit sometimes so that you can build up to standing all the time and get your body used to it :)

Quick fitness/life level up efforts recap:

Played basketball last night and playing hockey tonight. (YES!)

Got my boss to agree to buy some stuff so I can transition my office desk/work station into a standing work station. (YES! I hope I don't regret it)

Lastly, I have made the decision to start taking the stairs at work and to walk to work more often. *I did today* (I work on the 6th floor and live .5mi from my office) Living so close, aside from awful weather or having to drive somewhere right from work, I should be walking.

Sounds like yesterday was all in all awesome. Also, WINGS SUCK! GO AVS!

Reach your limits and then surpass them.

Blindasutsutsu
My Current Challenge:
Class: Ranger
Race: Human
STR:13.5 DEX:8.5 STA: 10.5 CON:6 WIS:5 CHA:6.5

I heard hockey talk.  But Red Wings..... We may have some trouble.  I am die hard Blackhawks fan.  I sense a friendly wager in the very near future. 

As for the Avs, I was an Avs fan growing up because of Sakic and Forsberg (and Adam Foote!) but once I moved to Chicago (15 years ago), I knew I had found my team.

LVL 1 Ranger

STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Left Lane, Hammer Down.

Current Challenge

@scottischicago

Nice music choices to learn! Movie soundtracks are definitely under-appreciated in my opinion

A word of advice: I stand all day at work (coffee shop) and I find that if I've had a while off the first week or so can be a bit rough - my lower back will be sore - but after that I get used to it pretty quickly. The coffee shop's at a university, so I didn't work this summer, and coming back after 4 months off was not fun! If you're transitioning to a standing desk you might want to leave an option to sit sometimes so that you can build up to standing all the time and get your body used to it :)

Thanks for the tip. I actually read that somewhere so I also got my boss to order a anti-fatigue mat and a bar stool so I can ease into it. He was against ordering top shelf booze so I could serve people who came into my office. It might have had something to do with me working on a college campus and having to see students judicially on a daily basis...who knows though.

Good progress.  I like the variety in your workouts!

Thanks! I get bored with workouts early so I have to mix it up. Stay tuned, I'm already changing up my Day 2's aka Fridays. LOL

I heard hockey talk.  But Red Wings..... We may have some trouble.  I am die hard Blackhawks fan.  I sense a friendly wager in the very near future. 

As for the Avs, I was an Avs fan growing up because of Sakic and Forsberg (and Adam Foote!) but once I moved to Chicago (15 years ago), I knew I had found my team.

The way I look at it. Team/Fan rivalries only make the games that much more fun providing people aren't trying to hurt one another (some Buffalo Bills fans for example) A friendly wager...I'm down.  My brother is a Hawks fan actually. He was a goalie and I think he initially chose them because of Eddie Belfour. I generally don't have a problem with most teams aside from the Rangers and Flyers. I can't like but do respect the Avs and Hawks. Great clubs.

Sounds like yesterday was all in all awesome. Also, WINGS SUCK! GO AVS!

Haha! Yes it was. Between me, you and the MITOS, we have quite the NHL rivalry going! WOOT! Now I just need a Leafs fan to join us. (My closest friend is so maybe I have to get him onto NF.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines