IRISHodabred's Don't Want to be Picked Last in Gym Class Goals

IRISHodabred

Workout Update:

Stairs only contintues and I walked to work again to day. I counted this morning (1/17) and there are 89 steps to my office. I just hope that # doesn't prevent me from wanting to stretch my legs with a walk on campus knowing have those patiently waiting for me. LOL **This has turned into an addition goal for at least the remainder of this challenge. More for S's & G's really and to prove to myself I can stick to it.

1/16/13

2 circuits of the following:

1.) 50 incline pushups

2.) 10 Negative Chins/Pulls

3.) 25 L/R Bulgarian Squats (when will these bad boys get easier?!?! LOL)

4.) 90 sec Forearm Plank + 45 sec L/R Side Plank

*In second set I did half of my 90sec plank time with plank rotations and the other half in plank leg lifts. I also did side plank lifts for the first half of my side planks and side plank for the rest.

Tin Whistle: I practiced the 1st part of Concerning Hobbits for about 25min or so and it's going along well. That leaves 35min for the week. I will likely practice today as well. Wahoo! 

**I have decided to move to almost exclusively body weight exercises when it comes to working out. I really wish I could install a chin-up bar in our apt so I wouldn't even need to go to/pay for the gym but alas, I don't see that happening. Having decided this, a slightly modified version of Rooney's Hurricane Workout will be done on my Day 2's (Fridays) so stay tuned...it's will be a 3 circuit jamboree of kicking my own ass.

http://youtu.be/oeafSiyJ_1A

♣IRISHodabred♣, Level 2 Celtic Hound Archon Ranger: STR 8|DEX 5|STA 6|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 6

2nd Challenge Log: Will Squat for...

1st Challenge Log: Gym Class Hero Challenge

“Discipline Is Choosing Between What You Want Now And What You Want Most.â€

"You have to do what others won't to achieve what others don't"

"Do or do not, there is no try"

Well done on the negatives! Yea!

and the split squats - NEVER b/c you'll always add more weight!  Woot!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Sounds like yesterday was all in all awesome. Also, WINGS SUCK! GO AVS!

I heard hockey talk.  But Red Wings..... We may have some trouble.  I am die hard Blackhawks fan.  I sense a friendly wager in the very near future. 

As for the Avs, I was an Avs fan growing up because of Sakic and Forsberg (and Adam Foote!) but once I moved to Chicago (15 years ago), I knew I had found my team.

Jumping in on the Wings side. We may have to have a burpee or workout off to decide this....or just come up with a hockey workout game, since there's a season now! WOO!

Any reason on the moving to body weight only? And I look forward to you workouts, I find lifting weights easier than just my body weight. Go figure.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide."

If your switching to body weight and need some good ideas, the two links below have some good stuff, and you might also check out the Army's physical fitness manual, TC 3-22.20 as it has a lot of good stuff in it (you can skip major chunks of the first part as it pertains to administering a unit physical fitness plan, unless you plan on getting a couple of hundred of the university students in shape).

Hockey workouts- 10 burpees per goal, 15 pushups per face off, atomic situps for icing?

http://www.dragondoor.com/articles/building-an-olympic-body-through-bodyweight-conditioning/?CategoryId=17&pg=4

http://mymadmethods.com/workout-database/workouts-bodyweight-workouts/415-greenhorn-warrior-bodyweight-workout-1

Jumping in on the Wings side. We may have to have a burpee or workout off to decide this....or just come up with a hockey workout game, since there's a season now! WOO!

Any reason on the moving to body weight only? And I look forward to you workouts, I find lifting weights easier than just my body weight. Go figure.

GO WINGS! (Now that we have that out of the way)

Although I enjoy lifting weights, I would like to eventually not need to go to a gym. I also would like to develop functional strength without weights. Plus I feel that I won't really progress significantly lifting "heavy" one day a week while the other two "lifting" days are body weight as it relates to how much pounds I can lift. I want to be stronger but as I think about it more, I'm not sure I care how much I can bench/dead-lift/squat etc. I would rather be able to beast out boat loads of pushups/dips/chin/pull-ups/bw rows/squats etc while also doing said exercises in different ways to diversify my mobility/flexibility/strength. Plus on that one day a week (today, as you'll see) I can set my workout to further push my bw exercises in more of a HIT way to also hit on my "spinting" for the week. As I found out this morning, my body was like "WTF are you doing? Slow down!" I appreciated the change up. It sucked and felt great!

If your switching to body weight and need some good ideas, the two links below have some good stuff, and you might also check out the Army's physical fitness manual, TC 3-22.20 as it has a lot of good stuff in it (you can skip major chunks of the first part as it pertains to administering a unit physical fitness plan, unless you plan on getting a couple of hundred of the university students in shape).

Hockey workouts- 10 burpees per goal, 15 pushups per face off, atomic situps for icing?

http://www.dragondoor.com/articles/building-an-olympic-body-through-bodyweight-conditioning/?CategoryId=17&pg=4

http://mymadmethods.com/workout-database/workouts-bodyweight-workouts/415-greenhorn-warrior-bodyweight-workout-1

Thanks and Thanks! I may not thank you for your hockey workout idea if that pans out but we'll have to see for sure. I will check those links out. My brother is in the Army. Started out at Ft. Benning as many do, went to Ft. Campbell, and is now at Ft. Knox. Have safer travels, (no more injuries) and welcome back!

♣IRISHodabred♣, Level 2 Celtic Hound Archon Ranger: STR 8|DEX 5|STA 6|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 6

Workout update as of 1/18/13

6am-6:30am (IF'd per usual for morning workout- nothing since dinner the night before)

My new Friday Workout: The Hurricane Workout "Slightly Modified"

I did 3 circuits of 4 exercises for 60 sec each with 2min break in between each circuit/round
No rests between exercises aside from transitioning or needing a break on some of the lifting exercises midway through the set. (grrr)
*(You could mix up what exercises you do at what times if you get bored)

Exercise #1 
Round 1: Vertical line jumps
Round 2: Lateral Line jumps
Round 3: Inverted Body Rows: (24- 16 regular, 8 with feet flat on floor aka modified)

Exercise #2  
Round 1:  Stepup (didn't count but will from now on)
Round 2: Box jump (didn't count but will from now on)
Round 3. Scissor box jump (57- L then R count as one)

Exercise #3  *(upper body was BEAT today which was frustrating)
Round 1: Pushup (32)
Round 2: Chinup (9-with a break...was NOT happy with this)
Round 3: Dips (20- not bad but I think I could do better)

Exercise #4
Round 1: Walking lunge (I may count this, haven't decided)
Round 2: Squat thrust (20-I can definitely up this)
Round 3: Jump squat (27)

*I was spent after this workout. I haven't done HIT like this in a long time. It was a nice change up for my body. I may see what doing 3 circuits of my normal BW routine on Sun/Wed instead of 2 would be like. (I want another set of my plank exercises like a I want a hole in my head)

**I have been %100 Primal all week (Woot!)
***Have 30min of Tin Whistle practice under my belt leaving me only 30min more this weekend. (Woot!)
****Hockey game tonight (Woot)
*****Stand-up desk converter came today and still taking stairs (Woot!) It was at least -10F this morning so I didn't walk to work.

That's a pretty awesome workout! def count the lunges - they are good stuff.

You probably just tanked on the chin ups with all the other stuff.  Try doing them first next time!  You'll crank through them.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Workout update for 1/20/13

Ok, so I decided to see how adding a 3rd circuit to my PBF bodyweight workout would be...WOW! OUCH! SIGH! HUFF!

3 circuits of:

50 Incline pushups

10 chin/pull-ups (3rd set was mixed grip - 5&5)

25 Bulgarian Squats

90sec forearm plank + 45sec L/R side plank

*2nd set alternating one leg plank (1st half/last half)

**3rd set bosu ball plank + side raises for last half of side planks

I didn't add my shoulder lifting at the end since all of this wiped me out.

*Only non Primal thing eaten was 1 tablespoon of all natural chunky PB mixed in with my full fat cottage cheese. My wife is making some "healthy" pumpkin cookies today so I may have one which would still easily keep me in my % of staying Primal.

**I was surprised and STOKED to weigh in at 180lbs yesterday. I haven't seen that weight since some point in college! (13-15yrs ago!) WOOT!

I think I might even feel/look better now than I did then due to my significant changes in my diet. (Not boozing like I did in college certainly helps!)

***Tin Whistle- 30min to crank out today...no sweat!

I've had a busy weekend and I need catch up and support the efforts of my fellow brothers and sisters in arms. I will do that later today and tomorrow. I don't want people to start thinking of me as Casper although I'm probably as pale has he is...was...whatever.

Mmmm bosu planks... Good stuff!!!!

Congrats on the weigh in!!!! Well done!!!!

I AM going the distance

Workout update for 1/20/13

Ok, so I decided to see how adding a 3rd circuit to my PBF bodyweight workout would be...WOW! OUCH! SIGH! HUFF!

Hahahaha. I always feel like this. Means you're working it!

*Only non Primal thing eaten was 1 tablespoon of all natural chunky PB mixed in with my full fat cottage cheese. My wife is making some "healthy" pumpkin cookies today so I may have one which would still easily keep me in my % of staying Primal.

**I was surprised and STOKED to weigh in at 180lbs yesterday. I haven't seen that weight since some point in college! (13-15yrs ago!) WOOT!

I think I might even feel/look better now than I did then due to my significant changes in my diet. (Not boozing like I did in college certainly helps!)

***Tin Whistle- 30min to crank out today...no sweat!

Nice work x3!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide."

Finish my time needed on Tin Whistle on Sunday and learned more of "Concerning Hobbits." I have the 1st part down for the most part.

Played basketball last night...I don't know what it was but I was pretty awful all around last night. I might skip hockey tonight. I might need a day to chill. Tomorrow will be BUSY and EARLY day in terms of both exercise and work so that might work. A-crack of dawn date with the gym, lots of work stuff, and then late night hockey. Yes...REST is needed.

Mmmm bosu planks... Good stuff!!!! Congrats on the weigh in!!!! Well done!!!!

Thanks and yes bosu planks are nasty-nice!

Hahahaha. I always feel like this. Means you're working it!

Nice work x3!

Thanks! I might have to do that from now on. Felt great to push myself instead of getting stagnant.

Workout update for 1/23/13

5:55am-6:25am (It was -24F with the wind chill when I left for the gym at 5:45am...yeah that sucked)

PBF Body Weight Workout per usual Monday/Sunday

*changed up my 2nd circuit today for a little variation and masochism.

2 Circuits

1.) R1 - 50 Inclined Pushups

R2 - Inclined Pushups to fail = 100

2.) 10 Reverse/Negative Chin/Pull-ups

3.) R1 - 25 L/R Bulgarian Squats

R2 - Same to fail = 40 L/R

4.) R1 - 90sec Forearm Plank + 45sec Side Plank

R2 - Leg Raises (20) + 45sec Side Plank

Post Circuits:

Inverted Body Rows: 2 x 10

10 Mixed Grip Chin-ups (5&5)

*Hockey tonight at 9pm...it's going to be COLD in that rink!

**Primal eating-killing it!

***Was given directions and the low down on my #3 (hike Lyon Mt.) from a friend. Now I just need to find a weekend that isn't so flipping cold! I may end up amending this goal to "winter camping" (providing it warms up). I've never done this before aside from sleeping in my tent in the backyard one winter's night a couple years ago to test out a new sleeping bag so that would be a cool experience. We'll see.

Couldn't help but notice that your tin whistle work has NOT included the Song Who Must Not Be Named. :)

Keep up the awesome work!

What a keen T-Rex eye you have! LOL I did give that whirl over the weekend but It doesn't sound nearly as cool as playing or typing "Concerning Hobbits" LOL

Workout update for 1/13/23

5:55am-6:25am (It was -24F with the wind chill when I left for the gym at 5:45am...yeah that sucked)

PBF Body Weight Workout per usual Monday/Sunday

*changed up my 2nd circuit today for a little variation and masochism.

2 Circuits

1.) R1 - 50 Inclined Pushups

R2 - Inclined Pushups to fail = 100

2.) 10 Reverse/Negative Chin/Pull-ups

3.) R1 - 25 L/R Bulgarian Squats

R2 - Same to fail = 40 L/R

4.) R1 - 90sec Forearm Plank + 45sec Side Plank

R2 - Leg Raises (20) + 45sec Side Plank

Post Circuits:

Inverted Body Rows: 2 x 10

10 Mixed Grip Chin-ups (5&5)

*Hockey tonight at 9pm...it's going to be COLD in that rink!

**Primal eating-killing it!

***Was given directions and the low down on my #3 (hike Lyon Mt.) from a friend. Now I just need to find a weekend that isn't so flipping cold! I may end up amending this goal to "winter camping" (providing it warms up). I've never done this before aside from sleeping in my tent in the backyard one winter's night a couple years ago to test out a new sleeping bag so that would be a cool experience. We'll see.

What a keen T-Rex eye you have! LOL I did give that whirl over the weekend but It doesn't sound nearly as cool as playing or typing "Concerning Hobbits" LOL

Great workout. Though I think  you meant its and update for 1/23/13 :tongue: I have never tried mixed grip chin/pull ups sounds interesting may have to try those tomorrow :) Also you will be happy to know that my Avs killed it last  night at the rink. Probably because i forgave them and went to the game haha

Reach your limits and then surpass them.

Blindasutsutsu
My Current Challenge:
Class: Ranger
Race: Human
STR:13.5 DEX:8.5 STA: 10.5 CON:6 WIS:5 CHA:6.5

Great workout. Though I think  you meant its and update for 1/23/13 :tongue: I have never tried mixed grip chin/pull ups sounds interesting may have to try those tomorrow :) Also you will be happy to know that my Avs killed it last  night at the rink. Probably because i forgave them and went to the game haha

No, I like to plan ahead. That's what I will be doing in 10yrs...at least!

Thanks for the update on the Avs...it made my day...

No, I like to plan ahead. That's what I will be doing in 10yrs...at least!

Thanks for the update on the Avs...it made my day...

Haha I am sure it did. Especially with the revolving door that is the Wings defense hahaha Sorry I just couldn't resist. :P 

Blindasutsutsu
My Current Challenge:

Workout update for 1/25/13

12:50pm-1:15pm

Modified Hurricane

(Higher box used)

Each done for 1min

Round 1:

Vertical Line Jumps

Box Step Ups: 30

Chin-ups: 12 (+3 from last time)

Walking Lunges: 20 each leg

2min Rest

Round 2:

Lateral Jumps

Box Jumps: 31

Pushups: 39 (+7 from last time)

Squat Thrusts: 28 (+8 from last time)

2min Rest

Round 3:

Inverted Body Rows: 28 (20 reg + 8 modified aka w/ feet flat on floor) (+4 from last time)

Scissor Box Jump: 63 (+6 from last time)

Dips: 19 (1 less than last time-beat from all the pushups)

Squat Jumps: 29 (+2 from last time)

This is such a killer workout! Spent again so I will have to get pumped for next week if I'm going to improve upon the exercises.

Primal Front: Been spot on minus an expected train wreck of a dinner (from a Primal perspective anyway) with my fellow coaches last night to kick off the season. It was hosted at the head coach's house. He and his gf prepared pork ribs with BBQ sauce, homemade mac&cheese and corn bread. Some of my old favs but quickly found within about 30min or so that my body and I don't miss them. They hit my stomach like a rock and it was clear that my digestive track was pissed off through about 1pm today. The initial taste of the food was good but my taste buds and what not ultimately said "YUCk" I was surprised how quickly my body has adapted after about 2mos Primal.  I guess that's a good thing since it only helps to reinforce my new dietary lifestyle. Anyhoo, back on track per usual.

On a mission to find a decent bracket-less, door mounting chin-up bar this weekend which would alleviate any need to renew my monthly gym membership. I'm open to any suggestions. I am going to check out Dick's Sporting Goods tomorrow since I know they have a few.

Tin Whistle: Still have the hour to crank out over the weekend.

Workout update for 1/25/13

12:50pm-1:15pm

Modified Hurricane

(Higher box used)

Each done for 1min

Round 1:

Vertical Line Jumps

Box Step Ups: 30

Chin-ups: 12 (+3 from last time)

Walking Lunges: 20 each leg

2min Rest

Round 2:

Lateral Jumps

Box Jumps: 31

Pushups: 39 (+7 from last time)

Squat Thrusts: 28 (+8 from last time)

2min Rest

Round 3:

Inverted Body Rows: 28 (20 reg + 8 modified aka w/ feet flat on floor) (+4 from last time)

Scissor Box Jump: 63 (+6 from last time)

Dips: 19 (1 less than last time-beat from all the pushups)

Squat Jumps: 29 (+2 from last time)

This is such a killer workout! Spent again so I will have to get pumped for next week if I'm going to improve upon the exercises.

Primal Front: Been spot on minus an expected train wreck of a dinner (from a Primal perspective anyway) with my fellow coaches last night to kick off the season. It was hosted at the head coach's house. He and his gf prepared pork ribs with BBQ sauce, homemade mac&cheese and corn bread. Some of my old favs but quickly found within about 30min or so that my body and I don't miss them. They hit my stomach like a rock and it was clear that my digestive track was pissed off through about 1pm today. The initial taste of the food was good but my taste buds and what not ultimately said "YUCk" I was surprised how quickly my body has adapted after about 2mos Primal.  I guess that's a good thing since it only helps to reinforce my new dietary lifestyle. Anyhoo, back on track per usual.

On a mission to find a decent bracket-less, door mounting chin-up bar this weekend which would alleviate any need to renew my monthly gym membership. I'm open to any suggestions. I am going to check out Dick's Sporting Goods tomorrow since I know they have a few.

Tin Whistle: Still have the hour to crank out over the weekend.

That workout  sounds awesome and painful all at once. I have also  been looking for a good bracketless bar, mind if I  use you as a  guinea pig for the  bar I should buy?? I have heard that as long as the  frame of the door you are putting it on is decent that most of them work pretty well to be honest. 

Blindasutsutsu
My Current Challenge:

Workout update 1/27/13

7:50am - 8:15am

Round 1:

7 Chin-ups

50 Inclined Push-ups (at 25 I lowered the bar to increase difficulty)

25 R/L Assisted Pistol Squats (Or I would have fallen over everytime)

90sec Forearm Plank + 45sec R/L Side Planks

Round 2:

6 Chin-ups

50 Inclined Push-ups (at 25 I lowered the bar to increase difficulty)

25 R/L Bulgarian Squats

90sec Forearm Plank + 45sec R/L Side Planks

Round 3:

5 Chin-ups for a total of 18

added 4 Pull-ups afterwards

Primal: On Lock Down

Tin Whistle: Check

I feel like I am starting to plateau a bit so I might only do Tabata Sprints or something like that on Fridays for the remainder of the Challenge to give my upper body an extra "rest" day.  I also crunch some #'s to see if I'm eating enough. I feel more beat than I think I should be mid workouts. With that, I know I need to make sure to get better/more sleep. My wife and I are looking into getting a new bed. Any suggestions for stomach/side sleepers with some lower back issues (likely due to the current bed) without breaking the bank?

Good work on the chin ups!!!

I AM going the distance

You're doing great! Nice tin whistle playing this afternoon :) And I gave you a shout out for the awesome medicine ball!

Thanks hun! It's coming along I guess. I'm glad you like the medicine ball!

Good work on the chin ups!!!

Thanks! With a couple weeks to go, I think I might reach my goal. Wahoo!

That workout  sounds awesome and painful all at once. I have also  been looking for a good bracketless bar, mind if I  use you as a  guinea pig for the  bar I should buy?? I have heard that as long as the  frame of the door you are putting it on is decent that most of them work pretty well to be honest. 

On the door mounted chin-up bar front: Sadly, it wouldn't fit on our door frames due to the additional molding around the frame itself. If we weren't renting, I'd probably pic a frame in the house and rip off the molding. Actually I would probably put in a bolt mounted, legit bar somewhere. The frame needs to be entirely flat. Frame good, molding bad!

Looks like you've been killing it lately.  I let the weekend get away from me, but I know I owe you some smack talk for my Blackhawks beating the Red Wings.  We should've bet.  Next meeting, loser changes their avatar to the other team's logo for a week, you game?

LVL 1 Ranger

STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Left Lane, Hammer Down.

Current Challenge

@scottischicago

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines