Infiltration: Stage 1

obax

I often pay more attention to side quests than to the main quest anyway, so I'm not surprised I'm doing better on unofficial goals than the real ones.  It's all interconnected anyway, I'm convinced the fat loss is related to the cutting back on wheat (and other grains). The box jump was more mental than physical, I think I was always capable of jumping that high, but the stack of block thingys with the step was just intimidating. Maybe the confidence from losing some fat gave me the confidence to jump that high? I dunno... But apparently the song was wrong: money doesn't make the world go 'round, wheat (or lack thereof) does!! Less catchy that way though...

Dare mighty thingsCurrent Challenge

I often pay more attention to side quests than to the main quest anyway, so I'm not surprised I'm doing better on unofficial goals than the real ones. 

For me, sometimes I notice how my daily life "main quests" seem to daunting, so the smaller projects etc. become very tempting. It's like when you have an exam period, and that's when you suddenly discover all these awesome new things you could do/learn that is not school stuff. that's cool, though, because it shows that breaking things up in small steps is a good solution. :)

Nyxy, lvl 13 Werewolf assassin!            Current challenge: butts               Fitocracy

Gym yesterday was ok. I got asked to go into work last minute, and since I owed the person a favour, and also am poor, I said yes. Which meant I had to rush my workout. I had time to do a 3rd set OR to stretch, and I opted for stretching. All in all, not a big deal, but it annoys me a bit when I have to give up stuff like that in favour of such a shitty, meaningless job. But I gotta make money, and there'll be a day when my job will be worth it.

Supposed to be a run day today, but I woke up this morning feeling not good at all. I keep feeling like my stomach is settling and I might be able to get a run in, and then, blah all over again. I've still got some time before work, we'll see how it turns out...

No eye doctor again this week. I gotta get on that, I'm running out of time...

Sorry about your stomach giving you problems. When I first started eating paleo that happened to me for a little. I wonder if cutting grain and your stomach are correlated?

Go to that eye doctor! :)

Surge, Level 3 Wood Elf RangerSTR 13.5 | DEX 4.5 | STA 9.5 | CON 7.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 5"Surge Supra : Rise Above"

Operation: Just Do It

"When running up a hill it's alright to give up as many times as you wish; as long as your feet keep moving."

'But, eye doctor' indeed... Next week, I promise!

The nausea was compounded by some fun lady-time cramps, which didn't help. It not unusual for the two to go hand in hand for me, but the nausea usually settles down when the cramps ease, but not this time (sorry if that's TMI, but when you feel shitty, these things matter). I'm feeling better but not great (ie. I could eat, but don't really want to), so I'm opting to be lazy today, and I'll go for a run tomorrow before hockey, there should be nothing to distract or delay me.

I'm making some tasty food for tonight at work, and I think it qualifies as paleo, so yay to that!

Well, I didn't make it to the track before hockey today.... I picked up my brother and sister-in-law and we went to visit my grandma who's in the hospital recovering from a broken hip. None of us are particularly good at being punctual/timely, so we got there later than I anticipated, and stayed longer too, and I opted for an (overdue) oil change on my car and a decent dinner rather than going to the track. BUT we won our hockey game, our first win since well before xmas, AND I scored the only goal (yay me!) AND there was a fundraiser going on at the bar after and I won a door prize, and I never win anything (I took a crappy gift though, the tickets were given to me by a teammate and I felt like it would be wrong to get something good when I didn't even donate).

Tomorrow I really will go to the track, despite it being Sunday. I'm volunteering on Friday so I'm deciding right now that that will be my day off, so no slacking tomorrow. Back to the intervals, I really need to work on that more than anything. If it's not too cold/windy, I might try some fence jumping afterwards, as prelude to the wall jumping of my test.

Next week is the eye doctor for sure. I think I'll go on Tuesday, I'm not working so I have no excuse not to go.

Today I successfully exercised. On a Sunday! Woo!

I ran outside, a middling sort of time. Running in the snow made traction an interesting proposition, but added some nice cushioning so my shin wasn't as painful as it could have been. My legs were shot after hockey last night, which I think is at least part of the reason a Sunday rest-day comes so naturally to me, which made the hills HARD. 

Gym tomorrow.

Yes! Seconded! The only goal!??!?! That's amazing! Glad to also hear that you're all set for the eye doctor and even happier for you for winning at the bar too!! :)

Surge, Level 3 Wood Elf RangerSTR 13.5 | DEX 4.5 | STA 9.5 | CON 7.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 5"Surge Supra : Rise Above"

"When running up a hill it's alright to give up as many times as you wish; as long as your feet keep moving."

Thanks guys! I think the key to Sunday exercising is to decide ahead of time that my day off will be whatever day I want (in this case, Friday), and that way when the week starts I have no choice but to go on Sunday, because the decision is already made. If I make it a 'game time' decision, I'll give in to laziness every time...

Congrats on getting work done on Lazy Sunday!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Thanks Red. I don't think I'll make a habit of it, per se, but in weeks that I know I'm going to volunteer, I'll make a point of deciding ahead of time that my volunteer day is also my off day, and then the choice is made for me.

Today's update: Eye doctor visit: accomplished. The lady at the desk couldn't answer my questions for me, but they happened to have an opening today, so I didn't have to wait for an appointment, which was nice. I officially need laser eye surgery. I'm right on the borderline for the police requirements, and the doc said that, in ideal conditions, I could probably pass the test without the surgery (barely), but if the lighting were poor or the chart not super crisp like his is, it'd be an iffy proposition. And I don't want to give them a reason to say no; if they have 1000 applicants, and 500 of them have perfect vision, why would they consider the 500 with imperfect vision? Maybe they would, I dunno, but the fewer reasons to say no the better.

I've got the info for the laser place he recommends, and will give them a call tomorrow to set up a consultation. Here's hopin' it costs no more than an arm and a leg... On the plus side, he said the place he recommends gives discounts if they know it's to meet a police requirement, apparently up to $1000, so I'll be sure to mention that. And he charged me for the cheaper exam rather than the more expensive one that I got, 'cuz that's the kind of guy he is (yay to family friends being eye doctors, though I think he'd do that for any regular patient in the same circumstances).

Also, today was a run day. I woke up this morning with a horrible crick in my neck/shoulder area (not for the first time, I should probably change up my pillow situation). It's a very sharp pain, probably around a 6 or 7 on a scale of 1-10, when I tip my head to either side or back, or turn it too quickly (slow turing isn't as bad). Some massage, muscle relaxants and pain killers got it under control, but I wasn't looking forward to the run. The unexpected but fortuitous eye appointment set my schedule back by about an hour (we did some catching-up type chatting too), and by the time I made it to the track, it was closed for a private rental. I wasn't going to sit around the track waiting for it to reopen, and I knew if I went home to wait I wouldn't go back, so I put on the gear and went for another outside run, grumbling the whole time. And then I set a new PR! 4 km in 22:01, I beat my previous best time by 10 seconds. Apparently I do well when I run in the snow and I'm hungry, cold, irritated and in pain. 

Edit: Also, I forgot to say, no shin pain! Not even afterwards! Hopefully this lasts, though I doubt it will...

Still having trouble with my sleep schedule, but I'm tired tonight and I don't have to work, so I'm going to try to get to sleep by midnight at the latest. No idea if my brain/body will cooperate, but I'm gonna try.

Tomorrow's back to the gym. I'll have to play it by ear if my neck/shoulder is still this sore, but even if I just some some of it and some stretching, that'll be ok.

Alright! That's one goal down! And now 1 more to go to complete The Obax Eye Quest!

Congrats on the Running PR! AND no Shin pain!

Sleeping needs to be developed over time, so if you keep going to sleep at the same time everyday then your body will start to think "OK This is the time when I'm supposed to sleep" and you'll knock right out!

So overall, fantastic progress, Obax!

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

Sleeping needs to be developed over time, so if you keep going to sleep at the same time everyday then your body will start to think "OK This is the time when I'm supposed to sleep" and you'll knock right out!

That's part of the problem, I've let my body set itself a sleep time I don't want. I work mostly nights, until midnight, and I have a hard time getting to sleep right away. If I wasn't doing anything during the day, I'd have no problem staying up 'til 3 or 4 and sleeping in 'til 11 or 12, but when I've got to eat and get my workouts in and then get to work again, I start running short on time, which leads to running on a full stomach and almost puking in front of the guys with the airplanes... So I'm trying to reset my body's clock so that I'm asleep by 12:30 or 1 and up by 9:30 or so, which I could do just fine if I could get myself out of bed, but I just turn my alarm off and go back to sleep for 2 more hours. I just have to make myself do it...

Today's update: nothing. I picked up some stomach bug and spent the night wondering when I was going to puke, and the morning in the bathroom. Blah. Slept a lot on the couch, I'm feeling better now and put a bit of vegetable broth, ginger ale and a couple of crackers into my stomach with not much reaction.

Hopefully I'll sleep well tonight, but I'm not going to force myself to workout tomorrow if I'm not feeling 100%, especially because my joints are all achy and my neck/shoulder is still quite painful. It's starting to get frustrating that every time I feel like I might be starting to make progress, I get injured or sick. I guess I just gotta take it as it comes, and if it takes me longer than I'm hoping to get where I'm going, well, I'll still get there eventually.

That's part of the problem, I've let my body set itself a sleep time I don't want. I work mostly nights, until midnight, and I have a hard time getting to sleep right away. If I wasn't doing anything during the day, I'd have no problem staying up 'til 3 or 4 and sleeping in 'til 11 or 12, but when I've got to eat and get my workouts in and then get to work again, I start running short on time, which leads to running on a full stomach and almost puking in front of the guys with the airplanes... So I'm trying to reset my body's clock so that I'm asleep by 12:30 or 1 and up by 9:30 or so, which I could do just fine if I could get myself out of bed, but I just turn my alarm off and go back to sleep for 2 more hours. I just have to make myself do it...

Today's update: nothing. I picked up some stomach bug and spent the night wondering when I was going to puke, and the morning in the bathroom. Blah. Slept a lot on the couch, I'm feeling better now and put a bit of vegetable broth, ginger ale and a couple of crackers into my stomach with not much reaction.

Hopefully I'll sleep well tonight, but I'm not going to force myself to workout tomorrow if I'm not feeling 100%, especially because my joints are all achy and my neck/shoulder is still quite painful. It's starting to get frustrating that every time I feel like I might be starting to make progress, I get injured or sick. I guess I just gotta take it as it comes, and if it takes me longer than I'm hoping to get where I'm going, well, I'll still get there eventually.

Oh man! That's terrible! I also do that too, my alarm clock is even far enough to cause me to stand up to turn it off, yet instinctively I go back to bed, I need one of those alarm clocks that require math to turn off, or something. I'm really bad at it. But it takes time, also if you can, try planning things really early, so that it forces you to wake up to get them done, ie appointments, and so on, that way a bit of adrenaline gets going because you have to be somewhere. Interesting way to trick yourself into waking up early.

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

I used to put my alarm clock across the room, and that seemed to work well enough, though that was at a time where I was regularly working early days so I had to get out of bed at some point. Now I use my phone, which is beside my bed, which makes it way too easy to just turn off and roll over. I'd actually forgotten about how I used to have my clock across the room, maybe I'll have to start doing that again with my phone... Thanks for the reminder!

So sorry to hear about the bug :( I really hope that you feel better!

When I was in college I used an app on my phone to have an alarm clock that required math to turn off. I was up in the morning, that's for sure lol

Well at least now you know that you need eye surgery. From what I understand about military standards (which shouldn't be too far off from police, no?) is that you have to get PRK you cannot get Lasik because if you're hit in the face it can easily dislodge the Lasik but it won't effect the PRK. Not sure if that's going to be true for you or if that changed in the last year--no clue! But you're already borderline passing which means that your eyes aren't THAT bad eh? You are gonna feel so awesome when you wake up in the morning and never have to put on glasses. It is an outstanding moment.

I talked with the eye doctor about the different types of laser surgery, and he said PRK isn't really necessary, and he doesn't understand why the military standards require it. There was apparently one point where it made a difference, but the current technology is such that the difference is much smaller now. That being said, I will discuss it again with the actual laser people when I have my consultation. There are no specific requirements listed on the police stuff I've been reading that requires one type over another, but there are extra forms to fill out related to stability etc. I have a feeling that this is a pretty regular reason for people to be seeking out laser surgery, so I think they'll be familiar with the requirements, and I'll get it all figured out before I decide anything.

There is a certain appeal to not needing glasses or contacts any more (though I did just get a new 3-month supply of contacts, which usually lasts me about a year, since I use them only for hockey and winter hiking), but it's not normally something I'd consider due to the cost. Maybe it's because I can function for the most part without my glasses, I can imagine it'd be much more appealing to someone with terrible vision. Either way, it's a a combination of exciting and scary, because it's one more step towards becoming a cop (not to mention the idea of people shining lasers into my eyes is a bit nerve-wracking...)

And I am feeling much better. Still a bit of rumbling going on, but I'm interested in eating again and it's all staying down. I actually had a decent sleep last night too, so I guess there's a bright side to everything!

Wow.  You are having one tough run of luck!  Glad the stomach's settling down, nausea is the worst. Very glad the shins are better and the run is improving.  Sleep issues suck.  I've had my run of those.  Meditation at sack-time helped me.  Repeating a mantra while trying to relax was so boring it had my mind fleeing to dreamland:)  Nice job staying in the game through all the hardships.  That perseverance will carry you through.

Cro Magnon Assassin

"Hold my beer and watch this..."

Run of bad luck indeed. I was actually just saying to my eye doctor the day before that I've had a run of good luck lately, and was a bit afraid of what would happen when it turned... Now I know.

I think I'll give the gym a pass today, my stomach's still not 100% and I feel like I'm still pretty dehydrated after yesterday. I've still got a bit of time before work, so I'm gonna get some more water in me and see how I feel, I may make it there yet. If I don't end up at the gym, I'll drink a lot of water and do a extra thorough stretching instead, plus some new mobility stuff I want to try out (and maybe some sun salutations for the mini-challenge). Volunteering tomorrow is likely cancelled due to bad driving weather (I love it, but it's not worth risking a serious crash in a snow storm) so maybe I'll try following surge-supra's lead a do a double workout tomorrow (running followed by the gym, maybe not immediately after though). It'll be nice to have a Friday night off of work, it doesn't happen often, maybe I'll chill with my sister or something equally relaxing.

Def keep us updated about your eyes. I know Lasik is faster and all. A friend of mine got Lasik and he was a fighter and had to stop fighting because being hit in the eye could dislodge it. Cops get hit...a lot lol. They'll have plenty of info for you.

Hope your stomach feels better :( it's good that you're taking the time to get better.

Haha enjoy that workout! I generally do cardio after lifting because I wanna make sure I make my lifting numbers.

Friday was a wash out, or should I say snow out, exercise-wise. The track was closed due to weather, the gym too far away to risk the drive, and the roads impassable for an outdoor run. Which left my mom's treadmill, which I hate (not just that one, I hate them all, or rather, hate using them). All I did was reinforce my hatred for treadmills, which was the straw that broke this frustrated camel's back and put me in a huff. I vented a bit to my mom and felt better, but that didn't make my workout any better...

Saturday was hockey. We lost and should have won. It's the first time all year I felt frustrated, generally with not winning and specifically with the weaker players on our team (the latter is not a usual feeling for me, I'm generally happy to play with any level of player, I think it was my frustration with other things bleeding into hockey).

Sunday was going to be a good day, and then my sister needed to be rescued from downtown at 3 am and woke me up with a drunken phone call. This led to a very poor sleep, and a very late wake up time, which didn't leave any time for a workout before work. I did have a good trudge with the dogs though, and took my camera to capture some of the snowy beauty, so that was good.

Today was the track. My legs were tired after yesterday's dog trudge, and I felt like I was starting back at square one, which I suppose I sort of am, or rather I've never graduated from there in the first place. I did intervals again, 7x 30 sec fast run/90 sec slow run, plus warmup and cool down. I had to walk 3 times, which I was determined not to do, so boo to that. I tried sprints again, not quite at full speed, and on the track rather than the soccer field (choosing better footing over softer surface). No pulled muscles, I did 4x 50m sprint/50m walk, though the last sprint was at about 50% effort, as that was all I had left in the tank, or at least in the legs.

Injury wise, the shin feels good. I felt some tightness in my calf but that eased as I went (I've been feeling calf/soleus tightness associated with the shin pain throughout). My neck is still all tight and painful, but the neck/shoulder mobility stuff I've been doing (thanks Croman Red!!) have been helping. My stomach still isn't convinced food's a good idea, but it's coming around slowly so long as I just eat a bit at a time.

Gym tomorrow, as well as a visit with a friend I haven't seen in a while. And no work, so I have plenty of time to do what I want/need, such as call the laser place, finally.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines