Lachy's Log 2013

Is your arm going to be well enough in time to go in? (Or the women's comp?)

Nah. I'm going to be out for a whole. Looks like I won't be able to train properly for at least a few months. I so mad effort comp stuff will be asking for it even if my grip isn't too effected.

I'm thinking about dropping by for the comp on the weekend. At least it will get me out of the house.

I believe the states ae all done by weight division so will be going against people your size. Many more divisions than over/under 60 kg. But yeah, it is a lot more expensive so I understand that.

"I lift heavy things. Sometimes these things are people."

Hello everyone! Or should I say, anyone! :)

I really meant to stop by more often and keep involved on the weekends, but that didn't quite work out I guess. I have been following progress via email from the threads I've subscribed to, so Kat, Pat I know what you've been up to and I'm very happy to see you guys are still active!

I've continued with my training at PTC, I see Shiggles regularly, though I'm not sure if she still posts here. And I see Athena from time to time when she stops by the gym.

My leg turned good around March some time and I've been training well since I returned from my snowboarding trip to Japan, and passed all my previous bests. Last weekend I tested my maxes, we're about a month out from a 3 lift novice comp on 20th of July. That's just 2 days after my birthday, so it'll be my test for my mid year goals I posted at the start of this thread. I managed:

Squat: 170KG

Bench: 112.5KG

Deadlift: 192.5KG**

Total: 475KG (1045lbs)

• I went in aiming for 175 on my squat, the most I'd lifted prior to this was 162.5 for 3 doubles, I think. Mildly disappointed that I didn't hit my goal, but I'm good with it, new PR is 35KG heavier than the max I hit before starting my 3 month program!
  • Thought I'd hit 110KG on the bench, so quite happy with 112.5! I did a proper pause on 110, just touch and go for 112.5 though. Tried 115KG, it only got about an inch off my chest.
  • Argh! Dead makes me angry! See those astrixes? That's because I didn't actually do that in this session. I did that for 3 doubles a week earlier. On the day I did 190KG slowly but easily. Went for 195KG but COULD NOT get it passed my knees. Tried about 5 times! I was hoping for 200KG, I was and still am very angry at that dead lift!

Ok, so now I have about 3 weeks of training before the comp, to try and add a few more KGs to my lifts. My goals stated for my birthday were 170/115/210 (495). I've done the squat (now hoping for 180), feel confident about the bench, but I am worried about the dead. Plan is to hit sets of 5 this week, then 3s and finish with some doubles before a rest/deload week.

Hope to be in here a little more. If I slacken off, say something!

Show me a picture of your thighs. SHOW ME!

You must be solid as these days mate. Those are some masssive numbers. I'm proud. And happy for you.

Is this going to be your first comp?

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Show me a picture of your thighs. SHOW ME!

Hahahaha Pat, you taking up the Katcrush mantle?  

....also I second that. Show all of us :D

LACHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comp, yay!

Working legs, yay!

Sky's out, thighs out, yay!

I didn't find photos of your thighs but I totally happened to come across a photo of your epic beerd:

beerd.jpg

Kat, love your rhymes! And pictures. My beard is trimmed short now though. The epicness is over. As for my thighs, they aren't too big actually. But my suit jackets need to be let out in the back!

Yeah, this will be my first comp. I'm not a seasoned, record hunting pro like Athena!

Training tonight. Hopefully my body will be up to it this time! Squat and bench. Oh, my workouts have blown out lately. A 3 hour session is not unusual, it can take 2 hours just to squat if the program us set for high volume!

Trained twice this week, good sessions. I won't bother to log everything. Squat and Bench was on Wednesday, 150KG x5/5/5 for Squat and Bench was 90 x5/5/5. Bench and Dead on Saturday, 92.5 x5/5/5 and 180x2/2 185x2/2/2. Worked on being explosive with the dead, think I made some improvements. Did sets of 5 weighted pull ups, didn't fatigue like I though, ended up doing 10 sets. Thats 50 pull ups! Only 5KG though, have to up it next week. Lats are a bit sore today.

Going to try 4 days this coming week. 

Monday: Squat

Tuesday: Bench

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday: Bench & Dead

Friday: Rest 

Saturday: Squat & Bench

I want to bench 3 times, squat twice and pull once. This was the best plan I could workout. Only a couple of weeks until the comp, trying to eek out a few more KGs before then!

Yeah, typically a taper off would be programmed, but I don't have time for that! Only a 4 week training window, and 1 week of light work or rest.

Last weeks training was hit and miss.

Dead went well, I got 195KG x2x2, made me happy and they were relatively easy. See what happens this week and next, might get a session at 200!

Could barely bench last week at all. As the weight went up, I got a big pain raditaitng from behind my right scapula down into my elbow. The first session I called it quits at 80KG, second session I got to 100 (the goal was a few tripples at 100), but at the bottom of the rep my elbow felt like it would give out, so I racked it after 1 rep, tried again, 1 rep. I put the slingshot on (it's a band that has sleeves and stretches over your chest, makes the bottom of the motion really easy, allowing you to overload).

I've been tight in the upper back for a long time, and often have to roll it or jam my back against corners or hooks to get knots, but this is far worse. I think it was ll those chin ups that aggravated it so much!

On Monday I finally got my triples at 100KG for 5 sets!

Squatted 162.5 for 3 doubles on Saturday, they were HARD, and probably not pretty. After racking I'd get big pain in my scap. So, only 3 sets. Dropped the weight to 140 and did 2 triples, still painful after each set, but better reps. Racked it.

Tonight I had a remedial massage, one of the guys at the gym runs a practice in the back rooms, he's a qualified therapist, and members get a discount, $55 for an hour sounds like a bargain to me! It was painful, but I hope it helps. Basically my lower traps are super tight, which was what I figured. He spent a lot of time working my upper back, and some time on my hip flexors too. I'm tight all down the posterior chain it would seem. I think I'll be going back again soon, see if I can loosen up some more.

If I feel good, I'll squat tomorrow. Going to aim for 162.5 for triples, hopefully 5 sets.

Had my final training session tonight before the comp on Saturday. Just light squat and bench, some assistance. And stretching.

My squat went to shit the last couple of weeks. I think I went too heavy for too long. I got really tight and my form went shit, couldn't hit depth, started good morning it! Shot my confidence all to hell. I've been stretching out my hips the last week, and will still for the next few days. Tonight's squats felt ok, but they were light!

Bench is ok. Just gotta watch the pause. Dead is ok, hopefully with a good atmosphere ill fire up!

The aim will be 170-175/112.5-115/205-210. Think ill play it coservitivley, and if after the 3rd lift I feel like I have more, ill try a 4th out back.

Comp done and dusted. Went 8 out of 9 lifts, I'm happy with how it went

Squat: 160, 170, 175

Bench: 105, 112.5, 115

Dead: 190, 200, 210

Netting me a total of 497.5kg, just 2.5 off the magical 500! Next time Gadget, Next time!

It was a great day, very happy with my dead lift, and quite relieved that my squat came good in time! Quite nervous at the start, but by the end of the squats I was feeling good. Shiggles had a good day too!

Time for shower, food, beer and sleep!

Thanks Shiggles. Yeah, its hard to catch everything. Thanks for taking those photos :)

So, back at the start of the year, I kicked this thread off by listing my goals for the mid year and end of year. Let's review!

Goals for my 33rd Birthday (July 18)

Body Weight: <100KG

Squat: 170KG

Bench: 115KG

Deadlift: 210KG

Still under 100KG, check!

Got a 175KG squat, check!

Missed the 115KG bench, I think touch and go I would have got it, but failed paused.

Got the 210KG deadlift, check!

This was after not really training for the first 2 - 3 months of the year due to my leg, so I'm very happy with the results, and figured I should revise my end of year goals.

Original goals for EOY

Body Weight: <100KG

Squat: 180KG

Bench: 120KG

Deadlift: 220KG

Still want to keep body weight under 100. Quite doable I think.

Squat: 210KG - now, this is a jump, but I'm going to start wrapping, so that'll help. A challenge definitely, but I am positive

Bench: 122.5KG - only a slight increase here over the original, bench is my weak point, but it's coming up!

Deadlift: 235KG - another big jump, going to give it everything I've got!

There is a couple of novice comps between now and the end of the year, including a 3 lift in November at the Gold Coast, so plenty of opportunities to bench mark my improvements! Bring on the second half of the year!