Lachy's Log 2013

Coffee is still a regular occurrence on the weekends. Haven't seen any bands in a whole it's true. Most of my spare time is with the girl, or when I have some alone time, on the Xbox :P

Shiggles, I'm not doing what Scott and co are doing! Don't think I'd do well going from no diet to such a strict one. We're just going to work out a meal plan based on foods I eat, with portions, macros etc.

Most of my spare time is with the girl, or when I have some alone time, on the Xbox :tongue:

Well that sounds about right, I say!!

I totally forgot this story!!---SOOOOO weird, someone randomly shouted across my breakroom today, "Hey [kat], do you happen to know what the weather is like in Australia right now?  Like Brisbane or Sydney?  Is it the same as here or the opposite?"  HUH?? Where did that come from???  I said "Well it's definitely summer and ridiculously hot like above 90F and 62% humidity in the last week or so" and they said to their table mate "See I told you, she knows all the trivia about everything in the world."  HAHAHAHAHAHA  I did not tell them that no way do I remember facts, it was just very lucky timing!

Apparently one of our surgeons is visiting Sydney, Brisbane, and then hitting a cruise in the next month.  He will probably melt. 

You should post your ScottTM meals daily so we can copy them haha.  Make sure you get beer back in there ;)

Haha, beer is for special occasions for the time being. Australia day, ski trip, etc.

Oh, I meant to post this the other day too. I've discovered lately that by doing two reps to a breath is very helpful. Like on bench, or OHP. Take a breath, hold it, pump 2 reps, exhale, inhale, 2 reps, etc. it helps with breaking down the work too, so instead of 8 reps say, you do 4 doubles. When it gets hard towards the end I sometimes drop to a breath per rep.

I have found myself doing that, or I can't keep everything tight enough.  I lift fairly slow I suppose, not molasses but definitely not explosively, so I can do about 3 bench reps and 4 OHP before breathing/resetting-- I don't take an actual break so I still count everything as one set.  Squats too, usually 3 or 4 if I'm going ATG.  It definitely helps me keep my form, I think.  I had soooo much trouble figuring out when to breathe when I first started OHP back in the day, so it's good to know this is working for you doing crazy heavy presses!!!

I've been slack! With keeping up this log that is, I've been making my sessions, no problem. Hope I can remember what I did ...

21/01/2012

Squat (3x5): 70KG x5/5/5

Close Grip Bench (3x5): 77.5KG x8/8/8

Pull Up (3x8): BW x10/10/9

DB Fly (3x12): 35KG x8/8/8

Skull Crusher (3x12): 30KG x12/12/12

Plank (3x60s): 25KG x60s/60s/60s

• Man I want to do another 2 sets, but best keep it easy with the knee for now, see how it reacts after a little while
  • Some of these were a struggle, got a spot on the final set (if I recall correctly)
  • Almost at 3x10, almost!
  • Upped the weight on flys, dropped the reps ... I'll work it up. I think I got all 8 ... not sure.
  • Skullcrushers were quite easy this time. Should have upped the weight. Oh well, next time.
  • OK, planks are still hard, but it's time to up the weight next time!

23/01/2012

Squat (3x6): 80KG x5/5/5

Bench (3x5): 90KG x5/5/4

KB Row (3x12): 48KG x12/12/12

Dip (3x10): 15KG x10/10/9/8

Curlz (3x12): 35KG x12/12/12

• More weight on the squat, starting to be work. I've gotten weak! Still no pain from the leg, its a little stiff after and I'm aware of it, but it goes away after a day.
  • First session back on the regular bench! 90KG may have been a bit ambitious... still not too bad.
  • Upped the weight on KB rows, did OK after the first few reps, some body English thrown in, but not too bad. 
  • Upped the reps on dips, didn't quite make my 3x10, so did a punishment set
  • So, I was super setting curlz and dips, and another guy was working in on the curly bar doing French press (standing behind the head tricep extension , and I was certain the bar was uneven, but I had a 10KG +2.5KG on each side when I checked. After 2 sets I took the plates off to check because damned if one side didn't feel heavier, no matter which way I faced. Sure enough one "10KG" plate weighed 10.6KG, the other 12.3KG. Grabbed a few more plates to check, most came out around 11.2KG, so I grabbed two somewhat similar plates and did my final set.

I basically made this routine up on the fly, to cover what I felt like. Scott should have a new program for me this weekend. Also, got the diet template, and that starts on Monday! Though I trialled a few things this week. It's nothing revolutionary. Basically has me eating ~2700 Cals, 43% Protein, 15% Fat, 42% Carbs, broken up over 7 meals, some meals are snacks, like a banana and 20 almonds, the midday meal is actually split into meals 2 and 4. I could combine them, and have that as a regular lunch, but for the first week I will follow it as laid out and see how I feel.

I was planning to go to the gym Thursday night, but decided not to for 2 reasons. #1 I did an airport run for my Dad at 3:30am, kinda disrupted my sleep. #2 Wanted a little extra rest for the muscles. I will be at the gym tomorrow morning, before the Australia day shenanigans begin. And again on Monday, which is a public holiday!

26/01/2012

Squat (3x9): 60KG x9/9/9

OHP (5x3): 52.5KG x3/3/3/3/3

KB Row (3x12): 40KG x12/12/12

Calf Raise (3x20): 90KG x20/20/20

Dip (3x8): 20KG x6/6/6

Plank (3x60s): 30KG x50s/50s/60s

• New program! Squatting twice a week, 3x9 on day 1, then 3x12 on day 3. Started light, got through it pretty easy. I'll go for the 12s with the same weight, and bump to 70KG for next 9s.
  • So I told Scott it was good to be OHPing again, and he put me on a program, I OHP every session. So you take you 3RM and subtract 5KG, I figured seeing as I got 6 reps for 3 sets at 55KG, that I could easily do 3 reps at 57.5KG, but doubted I could at 60KG. So, that had my working weight at 52.5KG. Each session for a 2 week cycle you do an extra set. This session 5 sets, final session 10 sets. Then you start a new wave, but bump the weight by 2.5KG. It as approach to the OHP I haven't seen before, should be interesting. Pretty easy today.
  • 40KG is work, but I need more weight, sadly the 48KG was taken. 
  • 90KG for 20 reps is hard on the calves, should be beneficial to my snowboarding though! I'll repeat this weight next week.
  • Upped to the 20KG chain for dips, couldn't get the prescribed 8 reps, but I'll work up to it.
  • Upped the weight on planks too, was going to aim for 3x50s, but for the final set I held out for the full minute. In time, I'll get all 3 sets up there! Gotta use 2 plates now, so I need assistance setting them on my back.

And now it's Australia Day, and I can have my first beers for the year! Oh yeah, I have 12 Cooper's Pale Ale's in the fridge, just waiting for my belly!!!

Happy Australia Day! Are you up yet, fully recovered from your shenanigans?

What I'm finding interesting about your program is d the high levels of reps you're doing. It's a power lifting gym focused on 1rm strength for meets but you don't doany heavy doubles or singles. What's the theory behind that?

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Happy Australia Day! Are you up yet, fully recovered from your shenanigans?

What I'm finding interesting about your program is d the high levels of reps you're doing. It's a power lifting gym focused on 1rm strength for meets but you don't doany heavy doubles or singles. What's the theory behind that?

Happy Australia Day to you too, mate! Not having really drunk anything other than the very occasional wine since NYE, I was totally un-pissfit! Only had about 6 at a friends BBQ during the afternoon and had a headache all night! Didn't even have enough to warrant a hangover. 

As for the high reps, usually the assistance stuff is kept high, in the 8 - 12 rep range, I guess this is to build a little size as well as strengthen. I generally see assistance in the higher rep ranges in other strength programs too. Generally the main lift is kept in the 2 - 5 rep range, except because we're rehabing my knee and testing it out, we're doing them in higher reps. After we're sure it's back up to snuff, I believe we'll drop back to the lower reps and rebuild strength.

Oh bummer, I missed wishing you both Happy Australia Day AND happy hangover day :D

Pretty soon you'll have small houses on your back for planks.

Thanks, Kat! Australia Day was a bit wet and miserable here, but had a good BBQ, listened to Triple J's Hottest 100 (Google it, listen to it, love it)  and hung out with friends, so a good day.

I don't know about small houses, but I reckon soon I could support a Katscratch.

This weather is crazy, hope your house isn't under water mate. 

No, I'm good and dry, but it was pretty crazy there over the weekend. I just stayed in side most of Sunday and Monday, reading, watching TV and playing video games.

28/01/2012

Bench (5x5): 87.5KG x5/5/5/5/5

Shrug (3x20): 60KG x20, 80KG x20/20

Pull Up (3x8): BW x10/10/10

OHP (6x3): 52.5KG x3/3/3/3/3/3

Curlz (3x12): 35KG x12/12/12

• Figured I almost got 90KG 3x5 the other day, so I should be able to get 87.5KG 5x5, I did, but only just! Not sure if I should repeat or move up ...
  • 20 rep shrugs are HARD! Much harder than 15s. I had to take small rests in the 80KG sets. Next week all sets at 80KG
  • Finally got 3x10 pull ups! I did take pretty generous rest times though :P
  • These OHPs are getting harder to finish, keeping rest kinda short
  • Time to up the curl weight. At least today it was evenly weighted!

29/01/2012

Squat (3x12): 60KG x12/12/12, 80KG x3, 90KG x3, 100KG x3

Flys (3x12): 25KG x12/12/12

OHP (7x3): 52.5KG x3/3/3/3/3/3/3

Lunge (3x4): 20KG x4/4/5

Plank: Skipped

• That 3rd set of 12 was getting hard, that's cardio man! Then I wanted to try some kinda heavy tripples. 100KG is heavy again!!! If I pull up OK tomorrow, I'll continue the practice, but up the weight by 5KG.
  • I keep going back and forth between 25KG and 30KG on flys. 25KG for 12s is manageable, but work, but if I go to 30KG, it's a struggle to hit 8 or 10! Might stay at 25KG and really work on form, slow the motion down.
  • More OHPing, with only 24 hours rest, was work!
  • Lunges were OK, used a 20KG dumbbell in each hand, 4 steps with each foot, so 8 total. Did 10 on the final leg. Not sure if I'm reading the program right though .... 4 steps doesn't seem right. 
  • Skipped planks, I'm doing them next workout, and I was totally stuffed after the all that. I reckon the extra squats were enough :P

So, that's the first week of the program, and the first 3 days of the diet. I've been weighing my self before each workout, dressed with shoes and all, same conditions most times, average for the week was 92.23KG. I was in the 93s a couple of weeks ago, so it's good progress (I did start my own eating plan last week, so that helped).

I don't know about small houses, but I reckon soon I could support a Katscratch.

Bahahaha! Yup, at your current rate you'll hit that in no time!

Whoa whoa whoa! Kick ass on the pullups!!!!

Skipped planks.....pshaw.....although that reminds me I've forgotten them entirely for a couple weeks now.....

Also:

Dear Lachy,

You've been a huge help and source of information, from literally my beginning here, and I look forward to seeing your progress. I lucked out somehow tricking you and Pat into posting on my log, and I've appreciated every word (and sexy car pics of course). So, thanks!

P.S. Just cuz you're all fancy with a lady, don't think I'm gonna stop shamelessly flirting being sarcastic up here in this joint.  Cheers!

Bahahaha! Yup, at your current rate you'll hit that in no time!

Whoa whoa whoa! Kick ass on the pullups!!!!

Skipped planks.....pshaw.....although that reminds me I've forgotten them entirely for a couple weeks now.....

Also:

Dear Lachy,

You've been a huge help and source of information, from literally my beginning here, and I look forward to seeing your progress. I lucked out somehow tricking you and Pat into posting on my log, and I've appreciated every word (and sexy car pics of course). So, thanks!

P.S. Just cuz you're all fancy with a lady, don't think I'm gonna stop shamelessly flirting being sarcastic up here in this joint.  Cheers!

I like sarcasm more than flirting, bring it on Kat!!

Sorry Lachy for barging in but I'm so glad you are seeing progress dieting, your workouts seem great & congrats on the new gf :-)

'Don't quit, two words, that's it' :-)

Uh oh Kel, do you reckon Lachy's gotten so beastly he broke his internet?  Maybe he can't type anymore because his fingers are too powerful.  

What do you think his workplace would do if they received an email stating that they need to make a firewall exception for NF because a random person in the US is missing her workout buddy?  And yes, I totally think I'm on the exact same lifting level as Lachy to consider him my workout buddy hahahahaha (it's easier to trick oneself if you pretend kg=lbs!).

Uh oh Kel, do you reckon Lachy's gotten so beastly he broke his internet?  Maybe he can't type anymore because his fingers are too powerful.  

What do you think his workplace would do if they received an email stating that they need to make a firewall exception for NF because a random person in the US is missing her workout buddy?  And yes, I totally think I'm on the exact same lifting level as Lachy to consider him my workout buddy hahahahaha (it's easier to trick oneself if you pretend kg=lbs!).

Dunno Kat you are starting to looked 'ditched' to me........

Argh, stupid keyboard giving me trouble multi-replying! OK, no quotes...

Sorry for being absent lately! I've figured out the subscribe feature, so I get emails whenever someone replies to a followed thread, so I know what's going on, and I read them all, and want to post, but just don't have the chance.

I have been continuing with regular workouts, they're all logged at the gym, but I can't recall them all now to write them down. I will take a photo of my log next time I'm there then I'll write them in here. But my squat is going OK, did 105KG 3x5 the other day, and did it 5x3 a few days before. It's hard again! Really hard! And I'm not used to my CNS getting such a pounding, recovery is kinda hard, especially with a defecit diet and a stressful few weeks at work. My OHP is on 55KG for 3 reps x however many sets I'm to do each day, next time it'll be 7 sets. Was meant to do 90KG 5x5 on bench yesterday but only got 5/4/4/4/4. Next time, Gadget!

Diet is going on, having a bit of a derailment this weekend though, I had my first cheat meal yesterday, which is allowed, I ate a whole pizza, and 4/5 of a bottle of red ... that might have been over doing it. Slow but steady drops are coming though.

Kat, thanks so much for you letter, much appreciated. I really enjoy the back and forth we all share, I'm glad we all found each other here to help motivate, encourage and tease each other. And I don't mind a little shameless flirting either :P Don't worry, you're not ditched!

Kel, thanks for the kind words. I'm sorry I haven't seen a log or challenge thread of yours lately, I don't have much time to explore the rest of the forums. How are things with you? No injuries I hope? Still training hockey? How's the strength progressing? Hope to see you down at PTC one day! (I think another female only comp is coming up in a month or two!)

Thanks guys, I'll try and post more often!

Dunno Kat you are starting to looked 'ditched' to me........

Hahahahaha, story of my life :P

LACHY!  Yay!  I really have no excuse, it takes two seconds to reactivate my fb account and harass you right and proper :)  Figured things have been as you described, good to hear you're trucking right along!  

Here's my not-very-subtle-Lachy-is-foxy story of the day: Struck up convo with a bloke for a moment in line and thought he was super cute and couldn't figure out why he looked so familiar, until I realized he was a version of you with glasses.  And less beastly :)

Carry on with your bad self, then!

You haven't seen how big my beard has gotten lately. I'm entering mountain main territory. Big ginger beard.

Hahaha YES.  If that was meant to make my brain think "meh" it backfired, buddy.  Good thing there is an ocean between us hahahahhaha

Must be helping the lifting. ;)

This has been proven in many a Warrior thread :)

Ok every mention of women's comps makes me wish there WASN'T an ocean between us.  Athena, you are awesome, btw.  I wish I could hang with you, but sadly I will settle for your badass lifting/fencing/childrearing stories via NF instead.  

All going well Lachy, I am about to go back to hockey soon :-) My weights training now includes my hubby working with me, so this is nice and he is also edging me to lift heavier each week.

Due to my lack of flexibility (back) I don't think you will ever see me in a power lifting comp. Not that this really worries me as I have adjusted my goals to being more 'looks orientated' rather than strength. Bench press, BB squats & sumo deads I seem to do quite well form wise so I am upping the weights on them! Just conv deads will never work for me and I think I would probably fail on depth with BB squats too if I was in a comp.

PTC have no air con (hate working out in a hot building) & operating hours were restricted, although it is an awesome gym & by far the best place to go to for lifting on the north side.

I pay $15 a week for 1Life gym at nudgee, although a small gym, it has everything we need, I have an after hours access card and am finding training at 7.30pm there is nobody at the gym, so suits us well :-)

I will def be going to the next comp though especially if some NF people are competing!