• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

weyrcat

WeyrCat 4: Consistency

Hello again Ranger Buddies!

Hope you all had great holidays! It's back to school for me (as a student) this week.

As I fumble around getting used to the new forums I'll give you a quick update on my 4th Challenge:

I have a hard time creating habits. A really hard time. I'm very distractable and feel like I need to cover a hundred things at once, AND that I should be rawring to go at level 100 when I've idled back down to level 1. SO. Here are some habit forming goals:

1. (Phys) I WILL attend three fitness classes per week: 2 Cycling, 1 Pilates. They occur during class time therefore I'm already on campus due to carpool. They are at the beginning (pilates) or end (cycling) of my day so I have no excuse. IF during the beginning TWO WEEKS I find myself too sore to do all three... I LOSE A POINT, no makeups. No excuses. The cycling can be done at ANY level, so if I'm sore I just don't push as hard. No more excuses.

2. (Phys) I WILL get 8 hours of sleep. This is not easy for me. I function best on 8+ hours, but husband functions on 4-6. I end up staying up with him then feeling like crud when we get up. I will go to bed. Anything I didn't finish before bed will be there when I wake up. This will be a 6/7 completion goal, giving me one night a week to "stay up" if we hang out with friends, but I don't expect to use it.

3. (Diet) Water. Yep. I still have trouble getting my water in. 8x8 at least. 

4. (Life) I want to spend a combined 2 hours per week on a hobby. 15 minutes here, 20 there, purposeful time set aside to sit down and read, watch an epi of Doctor Who, stitch. I find that if I don't make time to do it I poke around, avoiding work, and avoid my actual hobbies because if I were doing THEM I'm not working, so I end up doing no work but not enjoying the off-time anyway! This time is not "oh, I found myself distracted and reading the internet for an hour". I didn't enjoy it, and if I'd planned that time I would have done something else. Space Cadet time is not hobby time. Unless I plan on dressing up like a Space Cadet. That's different.

Quest Log:

1. 3 Fitness Classes: 2 Str, 1 Dex, 2 Sta.

2. 8 Hours of Sleep: 2 Wis, 2 Con.

3. 8x8oz of Water: 2 Con, 2 Cha.

4: 2 Hours of Hobby: 2 Wis.

As a side quest: Update this 3x weekly. No really. :P See: consistency!

ONWARD!

post-6284-0-50023200-1357306813_thumb.jp

Love the life goal, took me a long time to find a hobby I'm happy to work on and not poke at. BTW, tried Doctor Who, cannot get into it, tried multiple doctors even. Just too weird for me, but I love me some BBC Sherlock!

I find that if I don't make time to do it I poke around, avoiding work, and avoid my actual hobbies because if I were doing THEM I'm not working, so I end up doing no work but not enjoying the off-time anyway!

Oh hi, me! I also need to "waste" time productively, rather my usual habit of wasting time online and then feeling bad for wasting so much time!

Hi Everyone! Thanks for stopping by!

Working on getting into the swing: Yesterday I drank my 8x8, but got tapped for unexpected double shift so sleep was 6 hours when I got home well after sunup. Blah! Working on today's 8x8 nu my day is a really short one so goaling for 4x8.

Today I spend a little hobby time: Planning a trip I've always wanted to take! Set the year and month and waiting on RSVPs to get the finer points rolling. WEE!

Also, put in my two-weeks notice yesterday. Husband and I have talked about it for a while and with school and incomes it really does make better sense to ditch the "job" to spend this last year and change focusing on my paid-for degree segueing directly into my career. Scary step, but an important one!

On Who: I'm an old Fourth Doctor fan. I never made time to sit and watch "my serials" so I didn't get into the new one until I made time for it this winter. Love the Tenth! He's Four in new skin! As for BBC Sherlock, I've been a lifelong Holmes fan (such a strange child, I decided I was his niece Elizabeth Holmes and made up mysteries to solve)! I was so taken with Sherlock when I found it that I watched both seasons in a day. O_O

I'll poke back in, hopefully tomorrow. Going to make the most of the rest of my painfully short day by hanging with Hubby! And jumping around, FitBit flower is kind of short.

WEE!

You're right, your goals are very similar to mine!  Even your life goal, which is still a little nebulous in my head.

Congratulations on your two-week notice and good luck with your new phase of life!  I always have a hard time carrying goals over when my schedule/routine gets changed, so I hope you can keep it all together.

And love fitbit.  I sold my ultra before Christmas for a little extra cash and in hopes of upgrading to a One this year.

Hey WeyrCat!  Glad to see you back and ready to rock another challenge!  I really like how your goals are laid out, and can't wait to cheer you through them!

Another Tom Baker fan!

My daughter got me into watching the new Doctor Who, but she has no idea who the fourth Doctor was. I have got to dredge up some old episodes to show her.

Great goals.  I think consistency is one of the most challenging things to master, but whenever I can actually do it, the payoffs are exponential. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. :)

So the real deal starts tomorrow but I'm already working into the mindset.

1. (Phys) I walked 45 minutes this morning in the wee hours of "not much traffic" at work. Scored 4 leaves on my FitBit (ended with 2, I guess they degenerate?)
  2. (Phys) I got my 8 hours of sleep. Sorely needed after yesterday's nasty double of doom.
  3. (Diet) Got my 8x8 water in today. Was way ahead of the curve thanks to the cold meds drying me out. Kept me thirsty. :(
  4. (Life) Spent a little concerted hobby time today: finished Sign of the Four (Holmes 2) and started Les Miserables (Hugo). Wee!
Also, my Accountabili-Buddy group fleshed out with other "DO ALL THE HOBBIES" type awesome people. SQUEE! 

Rest of the night is prepping for Back to College tomorrow. Get my sleep, fill my bottle, pack my cycling gear, and off we go!

ONWARDS!

In Reply:

Absidey: I wore an Omron for 4 years but the rechargeability of the Fitbit (and sleep tracking) hooked me. So far I love it!

Hiraedd: Hooray for Hiraedd!

Jimmie: You can always introduce Tom Baker by sitting her through a Dalek marathon! Scarf vs Skaro!

MissRackl: Consistency is my biggest fault. I used to say it was simply a necessary evil of trying to many hobbies and liking so many things, but that quickly became a poor reason when the inconsistency effected physical therapy. EEK. I'll get it this time! I have to!

4. (Life) I want to spend a combined 2 hours per week on a hobby. 15 minutes here, 20 there, purposeful time set aside to sit down and read, watch an epi of Doctor Who, stitch. I find that if I don't make time to do it I poke around, avoiding work, and avoid my actual hobbies because if I were doing THEM I'm not working, so I end up doing no work but not enjoying the off-time anyway! This time is not "oh, I found myself distracted and reading the internet for an hour". I didn't enjoy it, and if I'd planned that time I would have done something else. Space Cadet time is not hobby time. Unless I plan on dressing up like a Space Cadet. That's different.

Oh, hello mirror! I have a terrible problem with this. The things you can find on Wikipedia, and not really what you should be learning, while fascinating.  

Good luck!

Oh, hello mirror! I have a terrible problem with this. The things you can find on Wikipedia, and not really what you should be learning, while fascinating.  

Good luck!

Hehe Thanks Defrock! And yar, I keep telling myself that I'm REALLY interested in learning I should be reading my text book. Cest la vie!

Today:

1. Fitness Classes: I couldn't make it in! It had been 'sold out' for hours. Curse of the New years Resolutionists. I did 30 minutes in a Level 3 hill program on a stationary bike instead. (Counting it). My FitBit flower had max leaves. I peeked at it before the cycle then clipped it to my foot to see how well it would track it. It seems to agree on calories (odd enough) but couldn't decide if they were steps or stairs. As a result it thinks I climbed 25 floors (I climbed only 3 actual staircases) and walked 9212 steps (reading before the cycle was about 3000. Cycle ride was about 7 miles, FitBit logs me as 3.8. It's a learning process. :P

Bonus! I remembered to ice my bad knee. :)

2. 8 Hours of Sleep: 7. :( Social Media got me last night. I know better. I will do better.

3. 8x8oz of Water: Done! :) 

4: 2 Hours of Hobby: No minutes to log today. Slammed through hours of studying though. First day of school and all, I want to make sure I'm ahead of the game!

Hugs!

Sounds like you had a successful first day (of the Challenge and of school).  Way to rock it. 

Social media gets me too.  Just last night, I remember thinking "I'll just be on here for 20 more minutes" and then when I next checked the time, it was an hour and a half later.  Oh nooooooo!!!  

Also, good job icing the knee.  That'll keep you in it to win it.

Don't worry, most of those new years revolutionists are not NF Rebels -- they will fall off within a few short weeks and you'll have access to all the classes you want :)

But hey, look at you, rockin' out your first day!  Way to go!!

Shame the gym was full but at least you went ahead with a good old workout anyway!  Hope you're enjoying school & well done on drinking all that water :)

Hello all! I bowed out of fitness class on Wednesday due to indigestion, which got worse over the last few days until my husband (combat medic, btw) told me not to go to school today. On the bright side I've hit my water goal everyday but yesterday (unless energy drinks count... then I made it) although the Mucinex I'm taking for my nasal geyser is undoing all my hydration work. Blegh. Cancelled my Slow Food (small/home organic gardening) meeting tomorrow but still went to school (sorry classmates I can't bear to miss lecture).

I'm up to 105 minutes of hobby time this week and plan to top the rest off with The Hobbit tomorrow night (sorry theatre goers, but since my husband is a poopy head it's the only day I'll get to see it!)

So. Blegh. Blegh all around.

And I had to come to work today, since I'm not hospitalized. But, next Friday is my last day, so I can deal. I'm getting to say goodbye to my regulars. I really will miss some of them. Of course... there are some I kinda hope stub their in the morning...

Summary:

Week 1, 5 days in.

Water 4/5

Sleep 4/5

Fitness 1/3 and 2 legitimate sicks days husband says I can make up. :P

Sorry to hear you're sick, WC, but you're doing a great job of looking after yourself and keeping up with the parts you can!  Keep drinking your water and getting lots of rest...'cause we want you healthy and dominating again as soon as possible!  Hugs!

Why Hello!

Coming up to date:

Jan 12- 8x8 water, 8 sleep. met weekly hobby goal (Watched Hobbit! WEE!)

Jan 13- Made neither water nor sleep goal. Boooo.

Jan14- PT, 8x8 water, 8 sleep.

Jan15- 8x8 water, too little sleep.

Today: IP water, one hour short on sleep (boo), but met 2/3 Fitness goal! Yay!

PS: That PT on 14th? I RAN. 0.35 miles. Slow, 3.8mph or so, and only made it the 5 minutes before I felt the warning ping and dropped it down to walk 1.5 more miles. I dropped the incline and speed whenever the knee complained. I'm so excited over that little run. It's the farthest I've run (without reinjuring it) since I injured it LAST FEBRUARY. Oh and I actually used the Foamroller of Pain afterwards too. Go me. ow ow ow.

I WILL RUN AGAIN.

Up to now:

Fitness: 3/5 with two to make up (sick days).

Water: 7/9 days 8x8.

Sleep: 6/9 days 8x8 (EEK!)

Hobby time: Week 1 met (250/120 minutes!) None logged this week, yet. (Opera on Saturday! Maria Stuarda by Met HD!)

Couldn't do spinning on Monday so I hit the treadmill. While I kinda feel like a shmuck (I did beat out someone I overheard heading for a treadmill to actually run) I DO have the same right to use the gym as every other student. In fact, since the athletic fees are determined per credit hour I am paying 360$ to use the gym this semester so maybe that treadmill is more mine than there's. I am actively recovering from an injury and determined to run again. Yea. I'll be selfish. It's my treadmill, meow.

Today I went for Pilates. I keep thinking it's "meh" but it's hard when I'm doing it, so unless I can breeeeeeze through it without sweating or wobbling or shaking or making "that face" I need to shut up and do it. 

Been nose-deep in school, as it should be. Not only is 18 a big load but I want to get ahead of it since I'm going away for a week. Sure, it's mostly online, but I'd like to avoid "Hey Granma, yea I'd LOVE to climb that 10 story lighthouse but I really need to finish this discussion post first."

This idea is jacked from Kevralyn (cause it's a great idea!);

AccountabiliBuddies: Prismatic Fanatic Update!

This week I finally got to see The Hobbit. I didn't go over the break since I wanted to spend as much of that with Hubby and he's not into LotR. In fact, we're so far opposite on topics like these that back in our dating days we had a deal: he'd come with me to SCA (basically medieval reenactment with no script and padded weapons, mostly padded) and I'd go running with him. :tongue:

I get to read a book this semester! OMG. Kind of a cheat though. I have to read and analyze a book pertaining to my teaching area and blah blah blah, but Galileo's Daughter was on the list. It's a biography really, but still, looks like a cool book. Sneeeeaky bibliophile, you're not supposed to ENJOY homework.. muwahahahahaha!

EEK, speaking of homework, I need to go peruse my Fanatics and then get back to it.

WEEEEE!

Hi Hiraedd! Feeling better now. It kept me boggy through Sunday and still have lingering headache yesterday but I can eat again! YAY!

It looks like you had a great week! I always feel smug when I notice someone heading for a piece of equipment and I beat them to it :P What did you think of the Hobbit?

Keep up the good work! I know how that first non-injured run feels --amazing. I'm glad you are being careful not to reinhure it again.

Also 7/9 days with 8 hours of sleep is a good average! Nicely done. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Maegs: The Hobbit was great! I did have a mini-heartstop moment when it ended and I thought there was something wrong... then I remembered it's been cut into more than one piece heh. OMG OMG OMG Radagast. <3

Hi Rackl! Yar that short run made me so happy, ALL DAY. In fact...

Today I ran again. This time 0.50. It didn't ping the pain but I stopped anyway. I'm feeling good and slow and steady wins this race. I finished my hour as a walk on the treadmill. Finished out at 3.22 total distance. Even did the roller of pain. Wee! Today I'm also on point with water and sleep. Yesterday I was on point with water and sleep, so bringing my average up a little! I went a little over on calories today (buffered by the PT so still "under" but I AM trying to be healthy here). It's my last day at work and some are bringing me goodbye dishes. Packing the rest up for tomorrow, I'm stuffed. O_O

Off to the land of homework. No hobby time this week but only because I spend it tomorrow at a theatre-streamed opera. WEEEE!