Back Again

HaliS

Hey guys,

So I took a break last challenge (read: kinda failed) but now I'm back and ready to go. The holiday season was not wonderful to me, as my family is Southern and so we cook delicious but terrible meals, and exercise was almost non-existent. However, I'm here now and pumped for a new challenge. So, onto my goals for the next six weeks. 

Goal 1: Strength train 3x per week - 2 STR, 1 WIS, 1 DEX, 1 STA

So I've not been very good at keeping up with my workouts, and I want to change that. This is basically a habit building goal. I usually aim to train every other day, but this allows for breathing room if I miss a day, while still getting in good work.

Goal 2: Complete one pull up - 3 STR

I got a pull up bar for Christmas (nerd woot) and so now I have something to actually do pull ups on. Currently, I can do approxamately one chin up and I hang sadly on the bar when I try to do a pull up. So, my strength training will be focusing on improving that specifically, as well as everything else.

Goal 3: Cook one new Paleo/Whole 30 compatible meal a week - 1 WIS, 1 CON, 1 CHA

So this (the first part) has been a goal of mine before I did did okay. This time it's for real. My plan is to complete a Whole 30 starting the first of February. My birthday is on the 25th of this month, so I'm not even going to pretend that I could do it in January, since I'm gonna do it right. But, in preparation for February, I'm going to need to have some meals ready and under my belt. That would be this goal. 

Goal 4: Keep the living quarters clean - 2 WIS, 1 CON, 1 CHA

Currently, my room is a disaster area. It's a wonder I can do anything in there, much less be productive. My goal for the next week is to get it clean (it might take me that long to wash all the clothes and hang up the things that are sitting on my desk) and then the goal for the next five weeks will be to keep it that way. This really is a goal is balancing. Can I keep up with school, work, social life, and keep my room in actual living appropriate order? I believe I can.

Well, here they are, the goals of my next six weeks. It's gonna be tough, but it's also gonna be good for me, seeing as I need to get into some positive habits. Nothing says habit building like six weeks of concentration. 

For the rebellion. For my own epic quest.

Halis: level 2 human assassinSTR 10|DEX 2.5|STA 3.5|CON 6.5|WIS 12|CHA 7.63

Can't say that I really have a specific program. Right now, I'm doing negatives. Like 3, but still. My plan at the moment is just to keep at that. I feel like surely when I can do 10 or so negatives I'll be able to at least grunt out a pull up. Hopefully...

I recently accomplished my first pullup, so I know how big of a hurdle that is!  all you need is a consistent program that you follow through on...  I used the one on NF and it got me to where I needed to be, and now I am going to start using the link that Wolvie posted, which I find to be quite awesome!  (thanks man!)  either way, just pick a routine and stick to it, and you will be there in no time!  Best of luck, and looking forward to following your journey over the next 6 weeks!

Chriskra, Level 1 Night Elf Ranger

STR 2|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 2|CHA 4

"The only easy day was yesterday"

True that!

In all seriousness, though, both programs are really well designed and you'll see improvement if you stick with them.  Guaranteed.  I'd suggest picking one for the challenge, doing the work as prescribed for the challenge's length, and then re-evaluating at the end.  You don't want to stick with something that doesn't work for you, BUT you do want to give it enough time to do what it's designed to do.  I think 6 weeks is a great amount of time to fulfill both of these.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Alright then, update for week one.

Well, for starters, I did strength train three times this week. Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday. And, boy, apparently yesterday's work was good, because I certainly am sore today. 

As far as the pull up thing goes, I did Week -2 on the Twenty Pull-ups program. Next week begins week -1. Woot, haha. I'm also doing the twenty program for my chin ups. But since I can actually do a chin up, I'll be starting on actual week one this coming week. 

For my foods, I made fat guacamole devils, which I found on Mark's Daily apple. They were pretty tasty and I have a feeling I will be eating them frequently come February. I also made baked egg in the other half of avocado, and that was pretty good too. 

My room cleaning is not yet complete. The problem with most of my mess being clothing is the fact that I kind of wear it everyday, and so it's hard for me to catch up. I hope by Wednesday (I'm being generous due to work and school) for it to be completely clean and then I can go into room maintenance mode which, for me, is much harder than it would seem.

Well, that's what I've got for this week, folks. Maybe I'll see if I can update a little more often in the coming weeks. Actually let you know what I'm doing in my workouts and such.

I can relate to the 'keeping the room clean' issues. I get into 'whirling-dervish-of-cleanliness' mode every now and then and my room becomes spotless. And then my laundry finishes, and I toss it on the floor with the intention of hanging it up 'later', which of course never happens, and then I empty my pockets onto my bedside table, and I'm back to square one. So, from one poor cleanliness maintainer to another, good luck!!

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

obax, haha, yep. That's pretty much how it works for me too.

Thanks, elastigirl!

And, Wolverine, basically I cracked an egg in a bowl, whisked it up and poured about half into one half of an avocado (I scooped out a little bit of the middle to make more room and because I wanted some avocado ;) ). I then put it on a pan in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes/until the egg is basically set. Feel free to put whatever spices you want on top before baking. I used some chili powder. It was pretty tasty. Since I was using the other half of avocado for guac devils, I just scrambled the last bit of egg, but you could actually pour it into your other half of avocado and have a nice little one to one ratio for egg and avocado.

Hmm... That sounds delicious!  Best of luck on the pullup program, I would hold off on working on both the pullup and chinup program at the same time.  Just keep good form and be consistent so you don't end up overtraining and creating an injury.

Paradox, Humor, Change

Level Four Half-Elf Ninja (Assassin/Monk)

Str: 15.25 l Dex: 12.25 l Sta: 10.25 l Con: 5 l Wis: 10 l Cha: 7

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein

Ninja Gecko Profile / Battle Chronicles

Alright, week two.

Workouts, I only got in two this week. I won't make excuses because I have none. I chose sleep in the mornings and lazy in the later parts of the day. But, no matter, moving on. The workouts I did put in were good, and I'm making progress.

My pull up is really almost there. I'm doing the negatives in a wide grip (essentially each hand is like a foot from my head). When I went to try a real pull up, but with a narrow grip (hands just outside my temples) my chin was almost touching the bar. I'm talking inches. It really was quite exciting and disappointing all at the same time. Therefore, my new goal is to get a real pull up (narrow grip) this week. To do a wide grip single pull up has become my new challenge goal.

Tasty foods were made by me this week, particularly in the form of breakfast. In case you haven't noticed, egg and avocado are kind of my thing right now, so I made something else with them this week. I called it Baked Avocado Devil, because it's essentially a reverse deviled egg. I mixed the meat of the avocado with a cracked egg, put that mixture back in the avocado shell, put some paprika on top for the pretty effect, and baked for 20 minutes. It. was. awesome. Like a quiche, but in an avocado. So cool. Also with this beastly breakfast, I sauteed spinach, carrot, celery, and onion with some chicken and used chili, garlic and onion powder, as well as more paprika. This I topped with some mozzarella, because I could, but I imagine it would be just as tasty without. All in all, it was nice.

As an added bonus: I attended a Yoshukai karate class this week! There is a dojo that actually offers free classes at my University on Tuesdays so I went and it was pretty fun. An especially proud moment was when the rest of the class was out of breath, I was breathing calmly. Woot!

As an added bonus: I attended a Yoshukai karate class this week! There is a dojo that actually offers free classes at my University on Tuesdays so I went and it was pretty fun. An especially proud moment was when the rest of the class was out of breath, I was breathing calmly. Woot!

Nice!  Congrats!

I've been pondering a little martial arts myself so it's good to hear of another's success.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Yeah, I kinda forgot to update last week. Whoops...so I guess I'll update for two weeks.

Last week I worked out twice in the actual week. The third time was on Monday morning, so that rolled over into this week. Worked out three times this week, counting the Monday. This week, I'd really like to get in all three workouts. I don't really know why I don't make it a priority, but hopefully this will be the week. 

Alright though, there is a positive from the past two weeks. I can do a pull-up! I real one. It's narrow grip and I really can only do one and have to be fairly fresh, but still, it is an honest pull up. So that's exciting. I'm going to keep striving to improve that. By the end of the challenge, like I said earlier, I'd like to have a wide grip pull up. But if that fails, I'd like to have worked up to being able to do two narrow grip pull ups in a row. 

My new 'meal' two weeks ago was roasted carrots. I'd never actually done that before. They were simple but tasty. This past week I roasted garlic. It was pretty awesome. I put some of it in with my chicken for my omlette and ate some of the rest. It was not bad at all.

On a similar note, I officially started my Whole 30 on Friday. Therefore, the month of February plus the first two days of March should be an interesting experience. Thus far, it's going well. I mean, I've made pretty much the same type of things, but I'm hoping to branch out and keep trying new recipes. Tomorrow I'm cooking a chicken in the crock pot, so I'll soon have lots of chicken meat and broth, so that will be nice.

On cleanliness...well my room almost reached the point of clean. But then it basically went back to where it was within the course of a week. I mean, it's not all the back where it started but clothes are once again littering my floor/foot of my bed. This week I plan to put away all the clothes that are clean and wash all the ones that are not, which are actually surprisingly few. In theory, cleaning my room is not difficult. In practice, well.

So that's my spiel for the last two weeks. Thanks for asking, Wolverine. I appreciate your concern. It's good to know someone cares, at least to some degree, about my progress. It makes me that much more motivated to keep going, so I'll have something to update. :) 

Alright, week two.

Workouts, I only got in two this week. I won't make excuses because I have none. I chose sleep in the mornings and lazy in the later parts of the day. But, no matter, moving on. The workouts I did put in were good, and I'm making progress.

My pull up is really almost there. I'm doing the negatives in a wide grip (essentially each hand is like a foot from my head). When I went to try a real pull up, but with a narrow grip (hands just outside my temples) my chin was almost touching the bar. I'm talking inches. It really was quite exciting and disappointing all at the same time. Therefore, my new goal is to get a real pull up (narrow grip) this week. To do a wide grip single pull up has become my new challenge goal.

Tasty foods were made by me this week, particularly in the form of breakfast. In case you haven't noticed, egg and avocado are kind of my thing right now, so I made something else with them this week. I called it Baked Avocado Devil, because it's essentially a reverse deviled egg. I mixed the meat of the avocado with a cracked egg, put that mixture back in the avocado shell, put some paprika on top for the pretty effect, and baked for 20 minutes. It. was. awesome. Like a quiche, but in an avocado. So cool. Also with this beastly breakfast, I sauteed spinach, carrot, celery, and onion with some chicken and used chili, garlic and onion powder, as well as more paprika. This I topped with some mozzarella, because I could, but I imagine it would be just as tasty without. All in all, it was nice.

Oh My GOD that sounds unreasonably delicious!!! *rushes off to make them*

Alright though, there is a positive from the past two weeks. I can do a pull-up! I real one. It's narrow grip and I really can only do one and have to be fairly fresh, but still, it is an honest pull up. So that's exciting. I'm going to keep striving to improve that. By the end of the challenge, like I said earlier, I'd like to have a wide grip pull up. But if that fails, I'd like to have worked up to being able to do two narrow grip pull ups in a row. 

On a similar note, I officially started my Whole 30 on Friday. Therefore, the month of February plus the first two days of March should be an interesting experience. Thus far, it's going well. I mean, I've made pretty much the same type of things, but I'm hoping to branch out and keep trying new recipes. Tomorrow I'm cooking a chicken in the crock pot, so I'll soon have lots of chicken meat and broth, so that will be nice.

Pull Up W00t!!!! Way to go! That's a major achievement unlocked! That's a legit assassin move right there. First pull up day. Should be celebrated every year. 

I just started a whole30 for February as well. I'll be keeping track of you for recipe inspirations LOL  :playful:

Looks like your really doing well this challenge! 

Bounty Hunter Jedi Assasin

I must control my THOUGHTS...
THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
ACTIONS define your CHARACTER
CHARACTER determines your DESTINY
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Thanks Happienumber. I hope you enjoy them. :)

Alrighty then. Week 5 update. Man, it’s gone by quickly.

This past week I did not do so well on working out. I got in let's say 1.5, because my second one of the week wasn't all out, because I was in a hurry and on the edge of sickness. Boo. But, on the positive side, I do occasionally do bodyweight squats around the apartment, just because, and I do at least a few pull ups/chin ups throughout the day as I pass under my pull up bar. So that's good.

Pull-up number one was obviously accomplished last week. In order to keep moving forward, I'm trying to just keep it going by keeping up the practice. And, actually, I managed to do two in a row once when I was passing by, so that was actually pretty cool. As a side note, I can do three

chin ups in a row, but that's also a one-time thing at the moment. 

As far as tasty foods go, I didn't get too creative this week. My most exciting thing was probably I discovered I could make fajita chicken without the tortilla/cheese and have it be awesome. Sauteed peppers and onions, tossed in some leftover chicken from the whole one I crockpotted (it's totally a verb) on Monday, a little bit of spices and salsa and voila! Tastiness. But the Whole 30 itself is going fairly well. I have, however, discovered cashews and pecans. Delicious. I may be in trouble, seeing as nuts are supposed to be an occasional snack and I had them every day this week. But they're so tasty...

And a final note about that fourth goal that I kinda shoved off to the side for the last few updates: my room is clean! I took most of the day this past Wednesday and washed, swept, vacuumed everything. It was beautiful, and I was proud. The best part I think was that night, when I was sleeping on clean sheets in a clean room. Always a good feeling. Now the real test: getting it to stay that way. 

As another side note about the Whole 30, I think I hit my Kill All the Things stage. My poor roommate. If she knew how many times these

past few days I've wanted to punch her in the face for not really doing anything except existing, I think she might be a bit frightened. I'm

trusting it will pass (it probably didn't help that it was coupled with the best time of the month).

And now onward with Week 6. Let’s finish strong.

Alright, quick weekly update, and then I'll get on to the final numbers:

Only an ok week. I worked out once for real, so bleh on that. However, I did two pull ups in a row again, so that was cool. My room has not gotten back to it's original state, but there are some things on the floor. I'll have to pick them up before it becomes disastrous again. I did well cooking this week. I made turkey legs, meatloaf (no bread crumbs, obviously), and a very nice salad. Yay for new things.

Alright, and now for the final scoring, which I'll copy into the other thread.

Goal 1: Strength train 3x per week - 2 STR, 1 WIS, 1 DEX, 1 STA

Well, I got in 12.5 of 18 workouts, so that figures to 69.4%. Not so hot. About a C, I’d say. Really a C- in my head, because I know I could have done so much better. But, eh, you live and you learn. And you work harder. That one mostly.  

C—1 STR, .5 WIS, .5 DEX, .5 STA

Goal 2: Complete one pull up - 3 STR

Completed. :) I would have liked to get a wide grip pull up by the end of the challenge, but my actual goal of completing one real pull up was accomplished, so I am happy about that.

A—3 STR

Goal 3: Cook one new Paleo/Whole 30 compatible meal a week - 1 WIS, 1 CON, 1 CHA

I managed to cook at least one new thing every week. Some weeks I cooked more new things than others, but still, I’d say this challenge was a good foray into new and tasty foods. Also, starting a Whole 30 didn’t hurt when it came to getting me to make Whole 30 compatible items, haha.

A—1 WIS, 1 CON, 1 CHA

Goal 4: Keep the living quarters clean - 2 WIS, 1 CON, 1 CHA

Well, it took me all the way till week 5, but I did clean my room. Obviously, I would have liked to have had that happen earlier in the challenge, but still, it did happen. But, since my goal was to keep it clean, and it’s backslidden a little, not to mention how long it took me to get there, I’m giving myself a B on this goal (B-) really, but, again, only doing whole numbers here and the goal did get mostly accomplished.

B—1.5 WIS, .75 CON, .75 CHA

Overall, I'd say B-/C+ for the challenge. Not great. But not bad either, as I did get some nice work done.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines