GraceM's Second challenge.

Guest Grace

Okay, so for the most part I rocked the first challenge, so lets keep it going!

First, my personal goal: There is a conference in Barcelona that I want to attend, so I must prepare for that.  The application is due Feb 10.  It includes an updated 4 pg CV and a 1 page summary of why I want to attend/ what my research is on.

Fitness/Diet goals:

1.  I want to eat better.  Lets start with trying to eat paleo at least 3 days a week.  I will work on slowly adding fruits and veggies and cutting out all of my processed foods.  My diet is mainly carbs right now (bread and pasta) so its going to be a challenge and a slow transition.  Any suggestions on what to start with would be awesome.

2. I recently just started fitting into my size 6 jeans again (I was in size 10 before the first challenge) so I want to stay in them.  A size 4 would be nice, but I am happy at a size 6.  So this means I need to maintain and/or improve my fitness level.  So my daily dog walks are going to expand in length from 1 mile to more than 2 miles.  I will start by changing my walking route once a week (then twice a week and so forth) to a longer path, and allow myself 1-2 days a week of not doing this (depending on the weather and how I am feeling)

3. Variety,  I will try some new exercise or work out routine every week.  I always do the same thing (push ups squats lunges and walking) so I want to try something new.  At least one day a week I will try something, maybe yoga or Pilates or something.  Suggestions on what to try are once again always welcome.  (I prefer something that doesn't involve me spending money, I am a broke PhD student after all).

Okay challenge #2 I am going to totally kick your butt!

Nice goals! I like that you and your dog will both get stronger for this challenge.

How are you going to track  the new exercises? It might be a good idea to make a list and tick them off as you do them. Figure 6-8 "new" exercises and then pick and choose which you want to do.

Best of luck!

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

Okay, so I can only think of a few things to try.  Pilates, yoga, and ballet barre workout.  What else?  I am not really good at this lol.

I did go to a line dancing place Friday and am still feeling it today.  Squats and lunges today. 

I did go buy (mostly) healthy food when I went to the grocery store.  Spinach, arugula, carrots... and a cheese ball....

GraceM

Okay, so trying new things, week one.  I did a ballet barre class.  I have always wanted to do ballet so I figure a barre class is a good start.  So new thing for week one--> check!

As for my eating habits, I had salad for dinner one night, and grilled cheese a few times.  My lunches have mainly been crackers and carrots and cheese ball slices and turkey pepperoni.

GraceM

Cool! Did you enjoy the class? Is it something you want to keep doing? Have you expanded your walks yet? That seems like a good one.

Keep us informed!

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

I didn't really enjoy the class.  But I think that is just because it was a youtube video.

I am trying to expand my walks but the side walks randomly end and then start back up and it can be dangerous.  My dogs tripped me in front of a car twice.  But I did the long walk once last week.

I made my list of paleo recipes so now I have a plan.

GraceM

Okay so I met with my advisor today.  Based on this I have to re-evaluate my personal goal.  So I will update my CV and prepare for Qualification exams by reading at least one peer-reviewed paper a week. (I already have 2 papers on my list).

Also- student loans come in tomorrow.  So I am going to remove all temptation food in the house and buy all the staples in paleo form.  (ie almonds to make almond butter and almond meal, coconut oil, etc)

Last night I ate a paleo dinner (eggs and spinach) and found tons of recipes to try.

On this weeks new to try list: beginner body weight workout in full twice.  (Tuesday before work, and Friday before work at minimum).

And tonight I am going to do my long walk. 0.6 mi for house to dinner, 0.6 back, 0.5 to and from park.=2 mi total.

GraceM

Good on you for adapting your plan. I also like your plan to replace the food in your house. That will really help. Keep going strong!

Healers Brigade

Current

Body weight workout along with 1.5 mile walk.  Yay me!!  Lunges were killer, my knees didnt handle it very well.  

Traded in my usual cheese danish breakfast for a fruit blend (grapes apple slices and cantaloupe).  The coffee however stayed.  I think that is the one thing I wont be trading in.

GraceM

Fridge and pantry are cleaned out and new supplies were bought.  I kept the soy milk and cheese that I had, but everything I bought is Paleo.  Lots of raw nuts and veggies. Yay go me! 

Lunch- carrots, almonds and sugar snap peas.

Dinner- Asparagus with mushrooms and Hazelnut. And maybe a chicken breast or something...

GraceM

Ack!  Okay  so my original personal goal is back on... I must do my CV and the one page application due on Feb 10.

As for paleo, its going good... except my food processor is broken and I can't make almond butter or almond flour.  I am craving something sweet, like chocolate cake and all the recipes I have call for it.

ooo homemade paleo nutella!!!  Ugh damn food processor. 

GraceM

Okay so I had gone most of the week paleo (dinner Monday and Tuesday night were not... and neither was my latte but still not giving that up) and then the stupid girl scouts got to me... but I ate in moderation. And I had thai last night.  I figure I am doing fairly well.

GraceM

Oh no! not the Girl Scouts!?!

Those damn little girls with their pony tails and cookies... I just can't resist the tagalongs... or the thin mints...

Good job doing it in moderation. I don't think I would have the strength!

Keep up the great work!

Healers Brigade

Current

Yeah, those girls are evil.

I have started walking to the grocery store, which allows me to walk (and buy less food).  The dog park I go to is closed for a few weeks, which has messed up my morning routine of walking.

I am about 75% paleo now.  I am not  being too strict because I know I tend to relapse if I push too hard.  I read the post for successfully making a diet change, and I am going for that.

GraceM

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines