The MadScientist takes the Six Week Cure

MadScientist

I kinda blew my last challenge.  Too much Christmas cheer.  I enjoyed the food, but it's time to get back into the groove.  My physical challenge is as follows:

1. Execute Dr. Eades' Six Week Cure For the Middle Aged Middle.  This is tailor made for me.  I need to get rid of some fat and cannot tolerate lots of exercise due to joint issues. (STA2, CON2, WIS1)
  2. Do 10 pullups.  My stretch goal is 20.  If I manage to lose 10lbs, I may make it.  My max in the past has been 7.  I have been struggling with shoulder issues, but those seem to have resolved, so no excuses. (STR2, DEX1)
  3. Do a 2min yoga headstand.  30 years ago, I could do 3min.  Now, I tend to get dizzy when inverted.  I will take it slow, and see how far I can get. (STR1, DEX1, STA1, WIS1)

My level up challenge:

1. Learn two songs on my violin that require upper positions.  I have been complacently playing folks songs in first position for decades. It is time to branch out. I have a great songbook of gypsy music, most of which requires upper positions.  I will see how far I can get on Kalinka and Two Guitarstwo popular numbers. (DEX1, WIS1, CHA2)

Level 8 Human Druid

STR 10 DEX 8.5 STA 11 CON 11 WIS 11 CHA 12

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not Eureka! (I found it!) but rather, 'hmm... that's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov

I don't think you blew the last challenge. You got a lot done.

HALF-OGRE
Level 3 Ranger / Level 1 Sexy Grandpa

Str: 10.75 Dex: 11 Sta: 9.25 Con: 7.5 Wis: 6.75 Cha: 5.75

"The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want most for what you want right nowâ€. ― Zig Ziglar

Introduction
Current 6 week challenge
My workout log

Specialization is for insects. Do all the things!

Nice Goals! I like that you included a musical goal to improve your violin playing.  I think that progressing musically helps you feel the progress you are making in other areas of life. 

Good luck!

missrackl

Level 1 Rebel Reboot

Activities: cycling, running, snowshoeing

Fandoms: Rick and Morty, LotR, Thursday Next, Star Wars (of course!)

Goals: 1) Keep on running, 2) Eat on diet, 3) Read a book

First the baseline - 135.75 waist and 173.0lbs.  I also got up to 8 pullups yesterday, breaking my old record of seven.  For some reason, doing rotator cuff exercises seems to help.  My doctor was clueless as to why...

I managed to execute almost perfectly today.  I stuck with the diet.  I got in my shoulder exercises and a few pullups.  I was laying tile in my bathroom and managed to work some inverted postures into cutting the tile.  I even managed to practice half an hour on my violin, something I have had lots of problem doing lately.  Hopefully, it will continue to go well.

Thanks to all for encouragement.  Jimmie, I appreciate your sentiment.  I did get a CD out the door.

Level 8 Human Druid

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not Eureka! (I found it!) but rather, 'hmm... that's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov

Nice work! Glad your shoulder is doing better. But in Texas, isn't it supposed to be a fiddle?

HALF-OGRE

"The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want most for what you want right nowâ€. ― Zig Ziglar

Introduction
Current 6 week challenge
My workout log

"If you're gonna play in Texas, you gotta have a fiddle in the band..."  Even Itzhak Perlman calls his Stradivarius a fiddle.  Of course it's a fiddle.

I weighed in at 172.2 this morning, so got rid of some water.  Hopefully this will continue.  I did 100% on the diet today.

Fiddled around with a couple of Irish pieces to warm up, then worked on Kalinka.  I spent a bit of time last night watching YouTube videos of various performances of Kalinka.  Interesting, and very Russian.

This is an off day for exercising, so I should be working on my inverted yoga postures.  A bit of meditation and yoga before bed sounds good.

Level 8 Human Druid

I had a friend who would be howling mad to hear you say a Stradivarius is, of course, a fiddle. Hehehe. But at the same time, I hear that the only real difference between a fiddle and a violin is how it's played, is that right?

You seem to be doing a great job. :) Keep up the good work.

Artemis Wolf
Level 2 Uratha Ranger
STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 2

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Character and Epic Quest

Battle Log

I was laying tile in my bathroom last night, so did not get to update.  I did not even turn on my computer.  Mark Sisson's Daily Apple post today was very timely.  During my last post, a thunderstorm showed up, so I had to cut any further posts out.

I have been executing well on the diet.  Hopefully the honeymoon will continue.

I did my normal weight workout today, including the "pullup" equivalent.  Still need to get my inverted postures in.

Embyr, there is really no difference between a violin and fiddle, other than the name (although I am sure I can incite a flame war by saying so).  Interestingly, the German language is similar, having two words for the instrument (geige und violin).

I got some work on Kalinka in today, and it is coming along faster than expected.  The first couple of days, my sons did not want me to practice...

Unfortunately, I have to get up early tomorrow.  I will not have time to look at what ya'll are up to.  Hopefully I can do that tomorrow.  Thanks for your encouragement.  I hope to return the favor soon.

Level 8 Human Druid

Had a long, brain-draining day.  We have been testing all week and I am not really a tester.

Kept up the diet, although I may have had a few more calories than I should have.  Give myself 90% today.  Still need to do arm and yoga, but did get them done previously, so still doing OK.

Have to practice yet, today, as well.  I have been keeping busy tonight, but not on anything in the list o' things to do.  Life happens.

Level 8 Human Druid

I found the wiki on Kalinka, but it was sparse. Is it like Greensleeves for the violin?

HALF-OGRE

Introduction
Current 6 week challenge
My workout log

Saw that your thread was tagged 'violin' so popped in to read more about what you're upto!  Hope your practising goes well & you have a great weekend :)

Eirlys - Long Time Wood Fairy Druid

Current Challenge: S4 (Sleep, Sugar, Spending, Son)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Done is better than perfect

-- Facebook

Jimmie, Kalinka is a popular Russian folk song written around 1860 whose lyrics talk about the snowberry and raspberry.  It is much newer than Greensleeves, which dates from about 1580.  Both are excellent fiddle/violin tunes, although Greensleeves is much easier.  Kalinka was adopted by the Romani and the usual fiddle versions are very high (a lot of third position ending up in 12th position) and, as is usual for the Romani tradition, features lots of tempo changes between slow and lightning fast.  It is a fun song.  Greensleeves remains solidly in first position (no shifting up and down the neck), but has millions of variations, some of which were published (e.g. Playford's Greensleeves to a ground, with divisions).  You can find a representative version of Kalinka

on YouTube.  A stellar version of Greensleeves to a ground can be found
.  I used portions of it in the CD I gave my family last month.  You can find lots more...  I did manage a practice.  Kalinka is coming along.  I have just played through Two Guitars.

Weighed in at 172.6 this morning.  I will do my weekly waist measurement tomorrow.  It does not appear my fat percentage is going anywhere.  I may have to rethink the way I attack it.

I did a checkout of where I am on pullups yesterday.  Got to 9.5, a new personal best!  Almost to goal already, so maybe the stretch goal is not too far off.

I keep forgetting to do my yoga.  Life should get easier now that I have the kid's bathroom floor retiled.  My autistic son really wants his bathroom back.  I just need to do trim, touchup painting, and reseat the toilet.  Should have it done tomorrow.  I still have time tonight to get upside down (:.

Level 8 Human Druid

Yesterday was check-in day.  I ended my first week at the following:

1. Waist 35.5, weight 172.  So down a quarter inch in the waist and a pound in weight.
  2. I got to 9.5 pullups last week.  Stretch goal here I come...
  3. Only practiced inverted postures a couple of times.  I can currently take about 20 - 30 seconds upside down.
  4. Practiced almost every day on Kalinka.  Can almost play it through, but not up to tempo.

Today was a good diet day and it started with a low weigh in - 171.0.  I think I got dehydrated yesterday.  I expect tomorrow morning to be higher.

I decided I would make inverted yoga postures a priority this week, and got in some practice today.  I also did my arm exercises, practiced on the violin, and did some final cleanup work on the bathroom floor project I have almost finished.

Things are going well after the first week.  Thanks to all for your encouragement.

Level 8 Human Druid

Thanks for the link on Kalinka.

Great progress so far. 

HALF-OGRE

Introduction
Current 6 week challenge
My workout log

Long overdue update.  Life has been busy.  I am considering a career coach, but they are very expensive.  Has anyone tried one?  If so, what did you think?

I continue to execute on my diet, and am keeping my exercise up.  I am also managing some fiddle time almost every night.  I looked seriously at Two Guitars last night, and it will take some real work.  It will be a lot harder than Kalinka, which is coming along.

Working on the inverted postures, but a sinus infection has made that a bit difficult at the moment.  I should not be too surprised.  It is cedar season in Austin, where all the cedar trees dump all their pollen at once.  It is actually not very bad this year due to the drought, but still enough to give me a sinus infection.  I will just be careful and keep going.

Level 8 Human Druid

Has it really been six days.  Posting in the evening is really not working out for me.  I need to find another time.

But, I have been doing pretty good.  I blew last Sunday, but otherwise have been staying on the diet.  I am in the "meat weeks", where carbs are kept under 30g per day.  So far, so good.  I did kind of freak out my son when I pulled some rare roast beef out of the freezer for breakfast.  It was delicious.  My weight has been bouncing around between 173 and my low today of 170.0.  I think I am losing some weight.  I am probably closer to my base point than I think.  I have a lot more muscle mass than I did when I weighed 158.

I made my 10 pullup goal!!!!  On to the stretch goal of 20...

Yoga in the evenings has been nice.  I still have to take it easy on the inverted postures, or I get dizzy.  I hope that goes away eventually.  I can be persistent.

Kalinka is still coming along on the fiddle.  I probably should not have chosen Two Guitars.  It is very challenging.  Oh well, something to work for.  I am getting in practice almost daily.

Level 8 Human Druid

My youngest son had his 18th birthday yesterday.  This led to a planned sugar indulgence, and an enjoyable day, but it does not seem to have effected me.

I had my second consecutive day under 170lbs today - 169.6 today, 169.2 yesterday.  I seem to be getting smaller around the waist, as well.  It seems eating mostly meat and very low carb everything else seems to be what I need to do.  Just need to avoid the leftover birthday cake.

Pullups, fiddle and yoga are coming along, as well.  Still on track.

Level 8 Human Druid

It has been a busy week.  My wife goes in for surgery (planned and a long time coming) on Monday, and the house is a bit stressed as a result.  I ran out of low carb snacks and started attacking the high carb ones.  Not seriously, but enough.  I need to quit.  Even so, I weighed in this morning at the lowest I have been in awhile - 168.8.

My waist was down a quarter inch to 35.25 last Sunday, and I managed 12 pullups on my last attempt.  Those are coming along nicely.  I still get dizzy inverted, so the headstand is still out.

I have not practiced Kalinka or Two Guitars much over the last few days.  I lost my books for a couple of days, and then had other musical things I had to do.  I will get back at it.

Level 8 Human Druid

Thanks for the encouragement, Embyr.  It meant a lot when I read it Monday waiting for my wife to get out of surgery.  The surgery went perfectly and she is home recovering.  It will be a couple weeks before she is back to a semblance of normalcy, but she has been rapidly improving.  She managed the day on ibuprofen and did not need any opiates, so things look good.

I had a Jimmie challenge this morning, though.  As I was taking my son to school, a woman did a sudden and unexpected U turn right in front of me.  I managed to stop in time so I did not hit her, despite wet streets, but the person behind me was not paying as much attention and hit me at low speed.  The car was scarcely damaged, and there was no damage to here SUV, but it is one more thing the take care of.  The *&$%( jerk who caused it simply waved and drove away.  Unfortunately, I did not get her license number.

Anyway, with the stress of getting my wife through the surgery, my exercise and eating habits have not been too good.  When I checked on Sunday, I had lost half a pullup, down to 11.5.  Weight is 170.2 today, so no real issues there.  Things should be sort of back to normal.  I am definitely working out as usual tomorrow morning.  I need it.

I have managed to get some fiddle practice in.  Kalinka is still a work in progress (my son asked me why I was killing the cat and bringing it back to life - Kalinka is now the zombie cat song ;)).  I have made no real practice on Two Guitars.  That one will take awhile.  This is partially because I have been practicing other things for my music group.  But part of it is because I have been kinda drained.  Things will get better.

I have made no real progress on the headstand.  My sinus infection has not gone away, so I will be calling the doctor tomorrow.  Enough is enough.

Things will get better.  I have almost two weeks to bring this in.  I should manage most of it.

Level 8 Human Druid

Much better day today.  I got the car scheduled for repairs.  My wife is feeling much better.  And I weighed in at 169.0 this morning.  I got my workout in this morning, and that helped.  Did not keep my sweet tooth under as much control as it should have been, but better than the last few days.  Did not get any music or yoga in due to other activities.  I did find that most of my sinus issues are just allergies.  I started aggressively treating it with antihistamines, and it has helped.

Level 8 Human Druid

Sorry I'm so far behind. Glad your wife's surgery went well, and sorry about the "Jimmie" moment.

HALF-OGRE

Introduction
Current 6 week challenge
My workout log

Much better day today.  I got the car scheduled for repairs.  My wife is feeling much better.  And I weighed in at 169.0 this morning.  I got my workout in this morning, and that helped.  Did not keep my sweet tooth under as much control as it should have been, but better than the last few days.  Did not get any music or yoga in due to other activities.  I did find that most of my sinus issues are just allergies.  I started aggressively treating it with antihistamines, and it has helped.

All in all, things seem to be going better and I'm glad to hear that. Keep up the good work.

PS I HATE stupid drivers. I don't even drive and they tick me off. :P

Artemis Wolf
Level 2 Uratha Ranger
STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 2

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Character and Epic Quest

Battle Log

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines