Erics first 6 week challenge

Guest ejw220

Guest ejw220

This is my first 6 week challenge ever.

My focus:
I started practicing vinyasa yoga a little under a year ago (shortly after my 39th birthday.) I wanted to give myself a year to get back into shape and honestly it has worked wonders.
Now that I am close to completing that year "deadline" I have added some new goals. In this 6 week challenge id like to hit a target waist size of 30in ( I am currently a 31) while mainitaing my current weight of 148.  I dont want to lose any more.
and Id like to increase my strength a little more.

Diet Goal:

Eat a healthy breakfast everyday.

Im trying to adhere to a primal diet 80% of the time, but i find breakfast to be the hardest.  Its easy  to eat 2 hardboiled eggs everymorning but It gets darn boring.
I find myself looking at the cinnemon raisin englishmuffins and almond butter more often that id like.  During this 6 week challenge Id like to eat primal every morning.

Grading: 100% A+| 90% A | 80% B | 70% C | 50% D | Below 50% F

CON +4

Exercise Goals:

Yoga at least 2 times a week in the studio and a couple times a week at home

While id love to get some in every day, I've found it to be logisitcally impossible. As a father of 3 my mornings are filed with getting kids fed and ready and out the door. Evenings arent much better.
This challenge would have me almost doubling my normal yoga practice time.  My hope is that it increases my strength

STR + 3 DEX + 2

Strength Goal:
Work on my handstand.  I can hold a handstand for quite a while up against the wall but, I dont do very well without the assitance of said wall. 

Grading: 100% (no wall needed) A+ |90% (can pull away from the wall and hold a handstand for 5 breaths) A |  80% (can pull away from the wall and hold the handstand for 3 breaths) B |
70%  (can pull away from the wall) C | Below 70% Fail

Str +3

Yay for your 1st 6 week challenge!

It really is a whole different day when you eat breakfast. :) If you have time you might want to try eating the eggs a different way, veggie omelets, scrambled or you can fill a muffin tin with a few veggies, some bacon and add an egg then bake. 

Good luck this challenge!

This is my first 6 week challenge ever.

My focus:

I started practicing vinyasa yoga a little under a year ago (shortly after my 39th birthday.) I wanted to give myself a year to get back into shape and honestly it has worked wonders.

Now that I am close to completing that year "deadline" I have added some new goals. In this 6 week challenge id like to hit a target waist size of 30in ( I am currently a 31) while mainitaing my current weight of 148.  I dont want to lose any more.

and Id like to increase my strength a little more.

Diet Goal:

Eat a healthy breakfast everyday.

Im trying to adhere to a primal diet 80% of the time, but i find breakfast to be the hardest.  Its easy  to eat 2 hardboiled eggs everymorning but It gets darn boring.

I find myself looking at the cinnemon raisin englishmuffins and almond butter more often that id like.  During this 6 week challenge Id like to eat primal every morning.

CON +4

Exercise Goals:

While id love to get some in every day, I've found it to be logisitcally impossible. As a father of 3 my mornings are filed with getting kids fed and ready and out the door. Evenings arent much better.

This challenge would have me almost doubling my normal yoga practice time.  My hope is that it increases my strength

STR + 3 DEX + 2

Strength Goal:

Work on my handstand.  I can hold a handstand for quite a while up against the wall but, I dont do very well without the assitance of said wall. 

Grading: 100% (no wall needed) A+ |90% (can pull away from the wall and hold a handstand for 5 breaths) A |  80% (can pull away from the wall and hold the handstand for 3 breaths) B |

70%  (can pull away from the wall) C | Below 70% Fail

Str +3

How are you doing?

If you get a chance join us during the mini-challenge. The Druids need your help! 

http://nerdfitnessre...omans-are-here/

14 days to go until the challenge ends... lets do this! 

Ahh thanks for unlocking the thread

Ive been busy at work (developing video games is sometimes grueling) but I'm still plowing through my challenge

Week 2

Diet Goal:

6/7 (again) Somehow i forgot that oatmeal is NOT Primal

Been still eating a lot of eggs, but mixing it up as to how its presented...Some days its hard boiled, some days its fried and served over a half of an avocado.  there are breakfast salads and scrambled with spinach.  All in all its not too hard ot keep myself focused on eating well in the morning and making sure i'm hydrated before i caffenate. 

Exercise Goals:

I took a 2 hour power yoga class on wednesday and another 90 min class on sunday. the home practice is still the hardest part.  the best i can seem to do so far is 30 mins of stretching.

Strength Goal:

Ahhh the handstand....well at the end of both of the classes in the studio I put myself up against the wall and worked on it until shavasana

still no luck getting away from the wall for a good period of time but Im not going to give up!

Week 3

Diet Goal:

7/7 No slip ups

Added bacon back into the mix and made sure I was stocked up with almond milk.  I managed to find something called paleonola...granoloa without any oats.  It was great but pretty expensive.  I think im going to have to figure out how to make this myself.

Exercise Goals:

This week I still managed to get some stretching done at home approximately a half an hour at a time  but it did it almost every day. 

Work ramped up alot so I had ot take my yoga classes back to back Saturday am at 7 and Sunday at 11.  Its not optimal to jam them together like that (for me) but I'm glad I managed to get to both classes

Strength Goal:

Handstand.  I began working on this at home against the wall in my tv room.  it take more core and shoulder strength  than I have so i started working on holding a forearm plank for 3 mins to build up that strength. It took me more than a few tries to get there (since my kids kept hoping onto my back at around 2 mins) but I managed to get to 3:28  (I smell a new strength goal for the next 6 week challenge)

onto week 4!

Ooops... I locked the wrong thread. Sorry.  :orange:

I guess you have posted your update here so all is good. Or would you like me to unlock your real post and lock this one instead? Let me know. (might not happen until tomorrow as I am off to sleep now).

Anyway, nice work so far. Keep it up! :D

Week 4

Diet Goal

Eat Primal Every morning!

7/7  Getting easier and easier!

Exercise Goal:  Yoga at least 2 times a week in the studio and 2 times a week at home

THis was a FAIL week  Work is kicking my butt.  I managed to continue my stretching at home and worked on my plank but I only got to the studio 1 time and that was last night during the superbowl!!!  It was a great class but I really was hoping to get more done this week. 

Strength Goal:

Handstand.

Planking has been making a difference.  I started to catch that sweet spot in my balance while working on my handstand at the end of class last night.  I feel like i could actually get this soon....but possibly not soon enough to give myself a passing grade during this challenge.

Week 5 I have already scheduled my classes and my work deadline is coming up so I think, THINK I just might have a good fitness week ahead of me!

I think that would be beyond my powers. Awesome as they may be. :)

Anyway, sorry for locking the wrong one... I meant well. :)

Its easy enough for me to unlock the other thread but you would have to copy your updates manually. So whatever you prefer. 

Side note....My focus on eating primal obviously manged to find its way into more meals.  As a result I managed to move form a 31in waist  to a 30.  Believe it when someone tells you that a 6pack is made in the kitchen not in the gym!!

Awesome! And I do believe that! I too have lost waist size... and I didnt even go primal. Just reduced the amount of "white carbs" slightly and substituted veggies and meat. :)

It is an awesome feeling. Lets keep it up... this seems to be the winning formula! :)

I've made enough progress since September that it is visible (not just measurable!), sometimes I catch sight of my reflection on windows and I dont recognise myself!  

Diet Goal

Eat Primal Every morning!

7/7  I think this is just going to remain the normal breakfast for me

Exercise Goal:  Yoga at least 2 times a week in the studio and 2 times a week at home

Another difficult week. I got in a great 2 hour class  but the blizzard killed every opporunity i had to take another class in the studio.  and with the power outage I didn't get any chance to practice at home. BUT I shoveled for 3 hours on Saturday morning and 2 more hours on Sunday morning. In the end I got a TON of core work done.

Strength Goal:

Handstand.

Worked on the handdstand in class on Wednesday, its definitely getting easier to pull away from the wall , but I cant reall get beyond 1 breath before my legs start to fall back into the wall for support.

Last week ahead of me and unless we have another 2+ feet of snowfall, I should hit my finess goals for the week. 

Week 6 - The final

Diet Goal: Eat Primal Every morning!

7/7  Thankfully i haven't found this difficult to keep going...Eggs are great and so is bacon but there is a granola I found that helped me through the last week with extreme ease and its completely paleo.  its called paleonola.

target goals were

I slipped up a few times so Ill give myself an A +3 Con

Was able to make it to both studio classes and worked a ton at home on my core strength through planks and did a bunch of stretching , BUT if I am going to be honest with myself , I didn't actually get in anything close to a complete practice at home.

Target goals were: Grading: 100% A+| 90% A | 80% B | 70% C | 50% D | Below 50% F

I rarely got in 2 full practices done at home but I often got the 2 classes in studio plus stretching at home

I guess that's closer to a C +1Str +1 Dex

Strength Goal:  Handstand

Worked on the handdstand in class on Wednesday, Again. 
getting easier to pull away from the wall. I think I may have come close to 2 complete breaths.

Target goals:

Grading: 100% (no wall needed) A+

| 90% (can pull away from the wall and hold a handstand for 5 breaths) A

| 80% (can pull away from the wall and hold the handstand for 3 breaths) B

|70%  (can pull away from the wall) C

| Below 70% Fail

I can pull away from the wall but I cant hold for 3 breaths.

That puts me at a C +2 Str

IN the end, I didn't do as well as I had hoped, but I did gain a few new good heating habits as well as increased my strength. 

I wont soon stop these paticular challenges, but i am truly looking forward to my next challenge.