Second Challenge: Foundations (again)

Croman Red

Overall goal:  Continue/expand upon the first challenge goals.  Still working on upgrading my basic level of fitness.  Less concerned with specific numbers or skills this time, focusing on consistent, well rounded development.  Daily work still the top goal.  Secondary goal is to do the routines that I "should" be doing, instead of the ones that I feel like on any given day.  Along with these I actually have to increase the intensity of the workouts-get outside of my comfort zone.

1.  Practice German 15 min daily, minimum.  Getting tired of communicating with improvised sign language and rudimentary grunts.

2.  Call/email all family members in the States at least once a week.  I'm really bad about this.

3.  Run twice a week.  It's been almost a year since I've run regularly and I need to get my body back into the groove.  It's not about setting personal records, more about getting "loose" and "mobile" again.

4.  Yoga daily.  As great as it feels, I really hate doing it.  I get bored.

5.  Push up, Pull up, and Handstand improvement.  This is more about upper body strength than skill development.  Looking at tightening up my form and trying to get well rounded development.

6.  Complete at least one professional development course for work that isn't
required.

7.  Road march train up.  1 hr x 3 times/week with 10 kg.  I'll be doing the Nijmegen March in July and need to get back into road marching shape.  Not interested in any triple canopy blisters.

8.  Limit the alcohol intake.  Like last time, aiming at only on Fridays and Saturdays.  Blew this one last challenge.  Should be easier now that the holidays are over.  The goal here is waistline reduction, so it will be tied in with a Paleo diet.

Cro Magnon Assassin

"Hold my beer and watch this..."

Welcome back :) I love your challenge, I hope it all goes well this time around.

If you're looking for upper body strength, I recommend adding some type of row into your workout as well. While it's possible to get the back a good workout with the movements you've listed, it's also very easy to get the form just a little bit off and almost completely ignore your lats, which caused me ALL KINDS of crippling pain before I joined the Rebellion. I highly recommend doing some body weight rows, where you keep your elbows tucked into your sides to really target the lats, it'll help keep things balanced and avoid injury.

Good luck with your challenge. I look forward to seeing you dominate :)

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

Battle Log - MyFitnessPal - FitBIt

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

Great goals! Love the keeping in touch with your family one that is important

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

5 Jan 2013

-Phoned/emailed family.

-20 min German practice (aargh!)

-Yoga:

downward facing dog x 30 slow count.  Very tight, especially the hams

down dog split x 30 slow count each leg

extended side angle pose x 30 slow count each side

garland pose x 30 slow count

half forward bend x 60 slow count

mountain pose x 30 slow count

Notes:

Really tight after the run.  That's what I get for not stretching and just grinding it out.  I know this but I guess sometimes I just won't be bothered.

Wasn't really into doing yoga today but that's no surprise.

Also doing Paleo.

Cro Magnon Assassin

I have a hard time with stretching as well. I do my usual post workout stretch for whatever I just worked, but on mobility day I never seem to get around to it. With any luck, we can both turn that around! :)

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

Battle Log - MyFitnessPal - FitBIt

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

6 Jan 2013

5 km hike with 12.25 kg for 60 min.  Felt good, just enough to start breaking the feet back in.

Notes:

So far the only carry over from last challenge is the yoga.  Still considering how I'm going to incorporate the rest of it...which exercises, how intense, and how frequent.  It's always easier for me to do things like running and road marching where I can let my mind wander.

Cro Magnon Assassin

6 Jan 2013

Joint rotations/ballistic stretches/static stretches/Yoga x 60 min.

Notes:

Gotta love all of those stiff joints, tight tendons and angry muscles.

Also Paleo, no alcohol, but no german either.

Cro Magnon Assassin

8 Jan 2013

Approx 3 mi run in approx 30 min.  I love running trails in the dark without lights.  A very visceral, primal feeling.  Gotta pay attention to the terrain.  Don't have to dodge the local traffic.  I'd like to attribute my current mile pace to the visibility, but the truth is I'm just slow.  It feels good though, so the times will come down if I don't run amok and pull an injury.  Restraint is hard.  There must be 1000 rabbits running wild in this part of Muenster, and it's just so tempting to try chasing them down...("I'm a wabbit swayer...").

40 min German...grammar and spelling are killing me!

Also Paleo and no alcohol.  Been going 70% heavy on the proteins and have been upping the daily water by about a liter.  Have depleted the holiday fuel cell by 5 lbs.  Might have to go back to daily alcohol rations to maintain it (joking!).

Contacted one family member in the States...who'd have thought it would be so easy?!

Cro Magnon Assassin

Yoga, I'd love to like it because I know it's good for me. But for now I can't. :( The pain provoked by stretching is an unusual pain for me and I really can't deal with it.

Yet. I'll work on it too. Good luck Croman and good luck with the German too :)

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

Hi! I'm doing yoga sun salutations in the morning, and limiting myself to 1 bottle of wine and 1 six pack of beer/cider each week, to be consumed only on Fri-Sat-Sun. After being successful for the first pre-week, I think I may have tracked down at least one possible source of my insomnia--I was disgusted to learn that I slept much better on the nights when I abstained from alcohol. Darn it!

Keep up the good work!

SpiralGalaxy, Level 9 Halfling Elf Assassin
STR 17|DEX 13|STA 20|CON 13|WIS 21|CHA 15
Electromagnetics Engineer, Freelance sci-fi critic in Maryland

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it." 

9 Jan 2013

Joint rotations x 5 minutes, light stretch (thighs tight)

Squats x 25, 25, 25, 25

Lunges x 20, 20, 20, 20

Push ups x 10, 10, 10, 10

-A nice 10 minute routine.

20 min German

Bird dogs x 40 reps (20 each side), 40, 40, 40

Alternate heel touches (supine ab exercise) x 40 reps (20 each side), 40, 40, 40

Notes:

Picked up a body weight exercise app cheap that has preset daily workouts. Simple program, no bells and whistles, but it has pregenerated routines and so takes out the routine development end. Gonna have to play around with it a little, but happy so far. Liking the 10-15 minute time frame.

Paleo and no alcohol. Eating big. Lots of protein. Always been a protein fiend. Meat is good. Extreme meat is extremely good. Drinking lots of Wasser mit Gas. (I think I butchered that Deutsche.) Miss my West Coast beers. Not tempted by these European brews though, kind of a beer snob. It's not like their bad (like US national brands), they just aren't Washington/Oregon micro brews (the waters of life). My apologies to my European colleagues for the "sacrilege", you do brew very nice traditional beers. They just don't rock.

Cro Magnon Assassin

Drsloomis,  

Not sure what help there is.  I'm wading through Rosetta Stone, lots of repeating lessons, and I have the skills of a dull two year old.  You could write your comments to me in Deutsche, but for now they would bounce off my brain:0  Maybe you know an effective grammar and spelling resource?

Cro Magnon Assassin

Croman!  Thanks for the PM!  Made me smile!  I can't wait to follow your progress this challenge buddy! 

Let's see here...

Language!  Fantastic!  I know a little bit of German - basically how to say, I am Batman!  Other then that, I've got nothing. :)  We've both got language goals!  Digging it!

I love the keeping in touch with the family goal.  Incredibly important and I'm sure they'll all appreciate the increased communication as well!

Kudos on the upper body, road march, and alcohol goals... you're putting some work in on this challenge for sure and it will pay off! 

I applaud the Yoga goal...I remember doing P90x and having Yoga absolutely kick my ass the first few weeks... The additional flexibility and how well you feel afterwards are WELL worth it!  Keep it up buddy!

Kick some ass buddy!  I'll be checking it regularly! :)

-- Michael

Fear, level 3 Blade Runner AssassinSTR 5|DEX 6|STA 6|CON 4|WIS 7|CHA 5

Drsloomis,  

Not sure what help there is.  I'm wading through Rosetta Stone, lots of repeating lessons, and I have the skills of a dull two year old.  You could write your comments to me in Deutsche, but for now they would bounce off my brain:0  Maybe you know an effective grammar and spelling resource?

Rosetta Stone's as good a place as any. One trick I've always found helpful is finding a translation of a familiar book (one that you've read before, preferably multiple times) and start reading. It's VERY slow going at first, but helps to see the language in context as opposed to discreet lessons. Children's or Young Adult books are great for this sort of thing.

On an unrelated note, which app are you using?

drsloomis: level 5 human assassin

STR: 15 | DEX: 17 | CON: 12 | STA: 12 | WIS: 14 | CHA: 8

Current Challenge

10 Jan 2013

5 km hike, 12.25 kg, 54 min.  Still just cruising at an easy pace...getting the parts used to working again.

30 minutes German.

Paleo and no alcohol (but tomorrow...BWAH-Ha-Ha!).  Actually, I did have a handful of peanuts yesterday.  It was mixed in with my trail mix.

Cro Magnon Assassin

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines