Second Challenge: Foundations (again)

Croman Red

Week 2 Review:

1.  Practiced German 15+ min daily.  

2.  Called/emailed family members in the States.  

3.  On track with road marching in lieu of running.

4.  Yoga daily.  Epic fail.  Going to start with stretching and try to work towards yoga.  Don't know what the issue with yoga is.  Maybe my subconscious fears enlightenment via Gumbie?

5.  Push up, Pull up, and Handstand improvement.  An epic fail.  My intent now is to do Gorilla drills daily, so it's going to be more of a whole body effort.

6.  Began a professional development course and have been plugging away at it.  

7.  Limited alcohol to Friday and Saturday.   Paleo diet

Notes:

So, next week will be more of the same + stretching and calisthenics.

Cro Magnon Assassin

"Hold my beer and watch this..."

21 Jan 2012 Morning:

Warm up joint rotations & ballistic stretchs x 15 min

Supermans x 15, 15

Dead bugs x 15,15

10 min stretching

15 min German

Evening:

Warm up joint rotations & stretches x 15 min

Shrimp squats* x 10 each leg x IIII

Spider push ups x 10 each side x IIII

Yoga:

Dog Pose x 60 count

Frog Pose 2 x 60 count

Frog Pose 2 x 60 count

Paleo & dry

Notes:

Will be substituting stretching for yoga for the duration. Might do a yoga specific workout here and there, but not on a daily basis for sure. Ok, maybe a daily yoga session. Gotta do some animal stuff for Nuala's latest challenge. I saw two variations for the Frog and figured I'd give each a try.  

I modified my Gorilla workouts in a beastie way (shrimp squats for squats, spider push ups for push ups).

*The first 60 shrimp squats I put my hand on the wall for balance. After that I got the hang of it. I could only go as deep as my ankle though. That last two inches wasn't going to happen tonight.

Cro Magnon Assassin

22 Jan 2013

1 hr road march, 3+ miles, 27 lbs

Bird dogs x 10 each side x IIII

Alternate heel touches x 10 each side x IIII

Eagle pose x 60 count each side

Pigeion pose x 60 count each side

15 min German

Talked with family member

Paleo and dry

Notes: Thanks for checking in, it helped me get motivated for the little bit of yoga I did tonight:)  caution to fellow assassins:  be careful about drinking from juice boxes while in animal mode, the beasties notice and get suspicious...

Cro Magnon Assassin

Note to self: no...juiceboxes...in...animal mode. Got it!

Eh, I bet  it 's safe around the crows, that won't notice!

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

23 Jan 2013

Road March, 2+ miles, 27 lbs, 53 min

German x 15 min 

Shrimp squats x 15 each leg x IIII

Lunges x 5 each leg x IIII

Spider push ups x 5 each side x IIII

Dog Pose x 60 count

Frog Pose 1 x 60 count

Frog Pose 2 x 60 count

Called Family

Paleo & dry

Notes:

Still using a hand against the wall for balance with the shrimp squats.  Also, my off knee is only going to my working ankle.  Still, I can feel it working.

Cro Magnon Assassin

24 Jan 2013

Road March, 70 min, 27 lbs, 3+ miles

Shrimp squats x 10 each leg x IIIII

Downward facing dog pose x 60 count

Eagle Pose x 60 count each leg

Shrimp Pose x 60 count each leg

Broke Paleo for lunch.  Work function, sometimes you gotta integrate with the modern man.

German x 15 minutes

Notes:

I'm about ready to jump up and down on my rosetta stone!  I really, really hate trying to write in German! 

Cro Magnon Assassin

Notes:

Still using a hand against the wall for balance with the shrimp squats.  Also, my off knee is only going to my working ankle.  Still, I can feel it working.

I found that holding a dumbbell out in front of my body for counterweight is an excellent way to complete the full ROM for the shrimp without assistance.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

I'm about ready to jump up and down on my rosetta stone!  I really, really hate trying to write in German! 

Maybe it just depends on the type of learner you are, but I didn't get much out of Rosetta Stone, at least not long-term. I gave up on it pretty quickly, and picked up some materials from the library (grammar book, visual dictionary, and some audio CDs). Started labeling everything in the house with sticky notes, which the kids loved (don't think the wife did, but she never complained, bless her heart!), and started plowing through.

drsloomis: level 5 human assassin

STR: 15 | DEX: 17 | CON: 12 | STA: 12 | WIS: 14 | CHA: 8

Current Challenge

So did it work?  Hitting the books and labeling the house?  Sounds like an idea worth trying...

25 Jan 2013

Taking today off.

The post-its worked fabulously, as crazy as it made the house look while I was doing it. The books helped a lot more than RS, but mostly because I think I'm more of a book learner by default. Another thing that worked really well was finding books in whatever language I was studying, starting with children's books and working my way up (slowly) to full novels (albeit ones I was VERY familiar with)--it makes a HUGE difference to actually read a language in context. This can be hard to do if your local library doesn't have foreign language books, but as you're living in Germany, finding books shouldn't be hard.

Gotta love Nuala and her challenges:)

Seriously. I've been neglecting ab work this challenge, but now I can't avoid it any more!

drsloomis: level 5 human assassin

STR: 15 | DEX: 17 | CON: 12 | STA: 12 | WIS: 14 | CHA: 8

Current Challenge

The post-its worked fabulously, as crazy as it made the house look while I was doing it. The books helped a lot more than RS, but mostly because I think I'm more of a book learner by default. Another thing that worked really well was finding books in whatever language I was studying, starting with children's books and working my way up (slowly) to full novels (albeit ones I was VERY familiar with)--it makes a HUGE difference to actually read a language in context. This can be hard to do if your local library doesn't have foreign language books, but as you're living in Germany, finding books shouldn't be hard.

Seriously. I've been neglecting ab work this challenge, but now I can't avoid it any more!

I did this as well, although I'm one of those people that got a lot out of RS. But post-iting EVERYTHING in my life was really helpful, as was reading insane amounts of the language and listening to audiobooks of stories I already knew. 

Bounty Hunter Jedi Assasin

I must control my THOUGHTS...
THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
ACTIONS define your CHARACTER
CHARACTER determines your DESTINY
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Thanks for the ideas with the shrimps and especially the German.  I can see that I've been pretty lax about the language...trying to learn by osmosis, not being terribly proactive about it.  (Enters stealth mode and begins quest for sticky notes.)

Cro Magnon Assassin

26 Jan 2013

40 minutes German

Road March, 3.6 miles, 27 lbs, 65 minutes

Dragon Flags x 10

Hollow body x 60 count

V-sit x 60 count

Plank x 150 count

Paleo, alcohol rations

Notes:

Finally forced the RS writing lessons into submission.  I'd like to say it was skill, but it was more like luck.

There's a cool ache that you get when you're working your body hard enough.  I'm at the point with the road marching where this is occurring.  

Never done a dragon flag before, pretty good exercise.  No way to give it a half effort.

Never done the hollow body either, had to keep the legs fairly vertical to keep the lower back grounded.  I can see the need for more core work.

V-sit was another good one.   Tried the L-sit but my heels might as well have been nailed to the mat:)

Not much stamina with the plank today.

Cro Magnon Assassin

27 Jan 2013

15 min German

20 min joint rotations and stretching

Dragon flags x 5

Hollow body x 60 count

V-sit x 60 count

Plank x 90 sec

Clockwork jumps clockwise & counterclockwise x IIII\ IIII\

Leg pull ins x 8 x IIII\ IIII\

Wall/handstand pushups x 3 x IIII\ IIII\

Road march, 4+ miles, 27 lbs, 72 min

Spoke with family.

Notes:

Those dragon flags don't take any prisoners!  

Working my way through the Gorilla workouts, modifying them when they're too easy.  Funny how demanding some of those non-standard moves can be.  Guess my workout history hasn't  had enough explosive compound movements traveling in non-linear directions.

Cro Magnon Assassin

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines