Second Challenge: Foundations (again)

Croman Red

Obax,

Gorilla workouts refers to the name of the workout application that I'm using to supplement my road marching and Nuala's mini-challenges.  The explosive exercise that I was referring to above was the clockwork jump.  They really aren't that hard, but by trying to max your distance while performing a precision landing you can up the difficulty a lot.  More so after you've done some other work that diminishes your fine motor skills.   A couple of other exercises that I find challenging are plyometric pushups and alternating split lunge jumps.  (You'll notice that I haven't been doing either of these:)  Try word searching some of the Cross Fit work out of the day with body weight sites for more ideas.  Also, a lot of our Assassin brothers and sisters are doing any number of impressive routines.  No matter how extreme you want to get, it's out there.

Cro Magnon Assassin

"Hold my beer and watch this..."

28 Jan 2013

Broke Paleo today-I'm a sucker for spicy chili over rice.  Only one plate though, and I didn't go for a beer.  

Road march, 4 miles, 27 lbs, 65 minutes.    

Joint rotations & stretch x 15 minutes

Dragon Flag-tried but hit muscle failure halfway down:)  

Bulgarian split squats x 30 each leg x III

Superman x 10 x III

Soccer ball archer pushups x 5 each arm x III

German x 15 min

Notes:

Dragon Flags.  I was wondering why no one kept doing them in Nuala's challenge.   Now I know.  Those Dragon Flags are the gift that keeps on giving.  Destroy you while you're doing them and remind you of it with every breath afterwards.  Sorry mates, my abs are blown for the duration of this challenge.  I was hoping to bring a six pack, but all I could find was my pony-keg:)

Pretty glad I got through that workout.  Feeling the cumulative effect of the last three.  Which is what I want.  Still, it's a lot easier drinking a beer and vegetating on the couch:o

Cro Magnon Assassin

Ha, yeah. Dragon flags are for advanced users, If they were used by Bruce Lee or in the Rocky movies, it's for a good reason! Still, you tried them and that was also the aim of the mission :)

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

29 Jan 2013

Professional development all day long.  Otherwise a rest day.  Tomorrow I'll start on Nuala's latest challenge.  Gonna have to be serious about this one.  Those little devils have seized control of our fearless leader and intrepid kender's minds!

Cro Magnon Assassin

26 Jan 2013

40 minutes German

Road March, 3.6 miles, 27 lbs, 65 minutes

Dragon Flags x 10

Hollow body x 60 count

V-sit x 60 count

Plank x 150 count

Paleo, alcohol rations

Notes:

Finally forced the RS writing lessons into submission.  I'd like to say it was skill, but it was more like luck.

There's a cool ache that you get when you're working your body hard enough.  I'm at the point with the road marching where this is occurring.  

Never done a dragon flag before, pretty good exercise.  No way to give it a half effort.

Never done the hollow body either, had to keep the legs fairly vertical to keep the lower back grounded.  I can see the need for more core work.

V-sit was another good one.   Tried the L-sit but my heels might as well have been nailed to the mat:)

Not much stamina with the plank today.

Wow, impressive to bust out dragon flags on the first try.  Very tough exercsie.  When you feel you are ready, start holding the bottom position for a second or two each rep for the next step with them.

Tip for the hollow body, flex your butt and point your toes to straighten out.  That will fight against the flexors (part of the abs) pulling your legs upward as you hollow the belly to touch the ground.  Most straight body positions require a simultaneous ab and butt flex to hold.

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

Waldo, Thanks for the tips. Gonna be a day or two more before I want to lay into the core again. Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

30 Jan 2013

Professional development

Road march, 3.6 miles, 27 lbs, 58 minutes.

Joint rotations & stretch x 10 min

Alternating lunge jumps x 10 each leg x IIII\

Uneven push ups x 10 each arm x IIII\

German x 25 min

Paleo & dry.

Notes: Felt good after the day off. Squish a 'shroom for the team!

Cro Magnon Assassin

Wow, impressive to bust out dragon flags on the first try.  Very tough exercsie.  When you feel you are ready, start holding the bottom position for a second or two each rep for the next step with them.

Tip for the hollow body, flex your butt and point your toes to straighten out.  That will fight against the flexors (part of the abs) pulling your legs upward as you hollow the belly to touch the ground.  Most straight body positions require a simultaneous ab and butt flex to hold.

Seconded on the impressive dragon flags! Amazing! 

And I never knew that about hollow body...This opens up a new world...

Bounty Hunter Jedi Assasin

I must control my THOUGHTS...
THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
ACTIONS define your CHARACTER
CHARACTER determines your DESTINY
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Seconded on the impressive dragon flags! Amazing! 

And I never knew that about hollow body...This opens up a new world...

Agreed on both points. My abs hurt just watching a video of someone doing a dragon flag, it'll be a long, long while before I even think about giving it a go... 

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Gotta say, I'm still waiting for my abs to stop hurting before I do my next set of Dragon Flags.  I'm hoping to be good for them by Sunday...

31 Jan 2013

German x 15 min

Broke Paleo; had a cookie at a colleague's birthday celebration.  Dry.

Warm up:  

Joint rotations & ballistic stretching x 15 min

4 Count Jumping Jacks x 1000

Called family.

Notes:

Decided to take my second day off from road marching today.  Figured I'd do some jumping jacks for a warm up and got carried away.  Maybe one of Nuala's mushroom men juiced me when I wasn't looking:)

Cro Magnon Assassin

Gotta say, I'm still waiting for my abs to stop hurting before I do my next set of Dragon Flags.  I'm hoping to be good for them by Sunday...

31 Jan 2013

German x 15 min

Broke Paleo; had a cookie at a colleague's birthday celebration.  Dry.

Warm up:  

Joint rotations & ballistic stretching x 15 min

4 Count Jumping Jacks x 1000

Notes:

Decided to take my second day off from road marching today.  Figured I'd do some jumping jacks for a warm up and got carried away.  Maybe one of Nuala's mushroom men juiced me when I wasn't looking:)

I always think of jumping jacks as easy, something to warm up with. But 2000?!I would have to crawl for the next month, my calves would be sending me death threats! That is amazing!

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Elastigirl, thanks, turns out my calves are stiff today.  Jumping jacks are one of those exercises that I built up a tolerance for at one time.  I figured the threat of the Mushroom Men was too dire to slack off...

1 Feb 2013

Road march, 4 miles, 27 lbs, 58 min.

German x 1 lesson

Paleo, alcohol rations

Called Family.

Notes:

Wasn't it just New Year's eve?!

Cro Magnon Assassin

Week 3 review (belated):

1.  Practiced German 15+ min daily.  

2.  Called/emailed family members in the States.  

3.  On track with road marching in lieu of running.

4.  Yoga daily: did 4/7, but only because of Nuala's challenge.

5.  Push up, Pull up, and Handstand improvement.  Did 2 days with upper body, haven't been tracking this part of my goals at all really.  Just doing them when they turn up in my Gorilla drills.

6.  Professional development:  no work on this one.    

7.  Limited alcohol to Friday and Saturday.   Paleo diet.

Notes:

Put this week's activities on a chart because my posts were so far back I had to bounce back and forth.  This showed me what I had been doing in a single snapshot.  Pretty revealing.  Didn't appreciate how I'd slipped; focused on what I'd been doing and missed what I hadn't been doing.  More well rounded than the first two weeks though, so the movement was in the right direction.  I'm going to make a habit of charting the week's work from here on out to maintain the continuity of my situational awareness.

Cro Magnon Assassin

Week 4 Review:

1.  Skipped one day of German.

2.  Called/emailed family members in the States multiple times.  

3.  Road marching going well, pace is picking up, no blisters or raw spots.

4.  No Yoga, stretching instead.

5.  Push up, Pull up, and Handstand improvement.  Did 3 days with some upper body.  Still not really pursuing this goal with intensity.

6.  Got back to the professional development coursework.  

7.  Limited alcohol to Friday and Saturday.   Broke Paleo 3 times!  Surprised, this is usually automatic.

Notes:

Had some fun with Nuala's challenges.  Reminded me of areas that I'd been blowing off and showed me that I'd been slacking.

Going to build a tracker today and put it on the wall so I have a ready visual to keep me on point. 

Looking into expanding the joint rotations and stretching into some real mobility work.  Loosening up is the intent behind the whole Yoga goal after all.  Actually, I need to schedule my daily routines for this next week to make sure I hit all the bases (mobility, jumps, core, upper body).  I've been getting lost in the road marching and calling it good.  The difference between what I want to do and what needs to be done.

The good news is that I've been building momentum this challenge rather than losing it like the last.  I want to thank everyone for their comments, you people keep it interesting, keep me motivated:)

Cro Magnon Assassin

I cannot express how much I love spreadsheets for exercise tracking.  I use Google Docs so that I can have access it from all my devices and am constantly tweaking and evaluating.  Makes my nerdy heart go pitter patter.

The good news is that I've been building momentum this challenge rather than losing it like the last.  I want to thank everyone for their comments, you people keep it interesting, keep me motivated:)

I LOVE this!  These challenges are all about learning and momentum.  Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Google Docs, huh?  I was thinking more like a table drawn on a scratch pad.  Guess I have a lot of catching up to do before I'm a 21st century kind of nerd:)

2 Feb 2013

Road march, 4 miles, 36 lbs, 57 minutes

Elevated downward dog push ups x 10 x IIII\

German

Called family.

Paleo

Alcohol rations

Cro Magnon Assassin

3 Feb 2013

German

Punch drills x 78 min

Neck & shoulder mobility drills x 20 min

Dragon flags x 10

Posture/core static contraction x 5 min

Step squats x 40 each side

Sumo squats x 60

Side lunges x 60 each side

Called family

Dry

Water Fast

Notes: It will be awhile before my dragon flags earn the Waldo seal of excellence:)  And "water fast" includes herbal tea and black coffee.

Cro Magnon Assassin

Google Docs, huh? I was thinking more like a table drawn on a scratch pad. Guess I have a lot of catching up to do before I'm a 21st century kind of nerd:)

Like my food journal, I track all my workouts in a composition book. I'll generally add the info to a spreadsheet at some point (I have a custom one that tracks trends, charts weights / reps by move from date to date, highlights high / low points to try to better target weak spots), but while I'm working out, it's just good ole pen and paper.

drsloomis: level 5 human assassin

STR: 15 | DEX: 17 | CON: 12 | STA: 12 | WIS: 14 | CHA: 8

Current Challenge

Maybe I'm old fashioned too. Pen and paper seems so much easier during a workout than trying to type something on my computer. 

And, Ummmm....78 minutes of punch drills? Holy.Crap. That is amazing. 

Bounty Hunter Jedi Assasin

I must control my THOUGHTS...
THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
ACTIONS define your CHARACTER
CHARACTER determines your DESTINY
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines