Second Challenge: Foundations (again)

Croman Red

Can you just tell me how it all ends? I got tired of the whole series somewhere around book 9 or 10 and gave up on it, but there's a tiny part of my brain that is still curious about what happens....

I know what you mean, I would have liked it if he had whittled it down a lot more.  I think everyone was ready to bag it during those two books.  The last three are much better, but he still drug it out.  Look up Wikipedia's synopsis on "A Memory of Light" for a good spoiler.  If that's too long, try their "Wheel of Time" synopsis. They do a better job than I can.

Cro Magnon Assassin

"Hold my beer and watch this..."

I know what you mean, I would have liked it if he had whittled it down a lot more.  I think everyone was ready to bag it during those two books.  The last three are much better, but he still drug it out.  Look up Wikipedia's synopsis on "A Memory of Light" for a good spoiler.  If that's too long, try their "Wheel of Time" synopsis. They do a better job than I can.

Ha, thanks. I think of wikipedia for everything else, but it never even occurred to me to look there for this information... I'm starting to feel the same way about A Song of Ice and Fire, though I'm not at the point where I'm ready to give up yet. George R.R. Martin claims he'll have it done in 7 books, but I can't imagine how he'll cram it all in...

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

18 Feb 2013

German

Mobility work

Road march x 3.6 miles x 36 lbs x 57 min

Push ups x 50 x III

F-crunches x 50 x III

R-crunches x 50 x III

L-crunches x 50 x III

4 count flutter kicks x 50 x III

R-split squats x 10 x III

L-split squats x 10 x III

Paleo-fast until dinner

Notes:

Did have a couple of 10g whey shakes before the mobility work and again before the calisthenics. 

Cro Magnon Assassin

So, the sign up sheet for the marching club at work to do the Nijmegen March came out today and I signed on.  You gotta love the guy that's organizing it.  He's this German ultra marathoner, not a pro, just a hobbyist.  (Read that to mean he's so crazy he does it for fun!)  Every time he talks about races or hikes that go on for more than 6 hours his eyes light up with an unholy glee that's, well, inspirational in an evil villain kind of way:)  He's also organizing a 6 hour run for March 2nd.  Seriously, he and about 200 of his buddies are going to run around a course for 6 hours and see how far they get.  I was half thinking this might be kind of fun, and then I did the math.  If I could keep it up for that long, we're talking 30-40 miles.  Doable walking, especially without a kit, but running?  I've never gone further than 12 miles in one stretch, and that was when I used to run fairly regularly.  Which makes the whole prospect kind of appealing...

Cro Magnon Assassin

I can see Martin wrapping up A Song of Ice and Fire pretty quickly, he's running out of protagonists at an alarming rate:)

I suppose that's true. He keeps adding more to replace them, though. He could bring it all together in one giant swoop of his pen, but to make it not seem forced, he'll have to do one hell of a job at it...

I agree with Church about the marching thing. Though if it was not crazy long marches, that could be cool, but 30-40 miles? I don't have a clear idea of how long a mile is, but I know it's big, and 30-40 of them seems like a lot...

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

I'm thinking that I can flirt with the "extreme" (for me) distance thing on the weekends, on my own, and see how it goes.  I am so not an enduro athelete, but I've a pretty good track record of "gutting" it out and not getting injured.  I'm just curious to see what these mental cases are all about.  Besides, endorphins are pretty cool:) 

Cro Magnon Assassin

I was talking with my German Psycho Ultra Athlete today, told him I figured a 10 minute mile pace was probably sustainable.  Turns out that's what he tries to average.  I wonder what it is that I don't know about this.  I may be old and broken, but even for me a 10 minute mile is nothing but slow.  I'm thinking that I may be leaping off a mighty tall cliff...

Cro Magnon Assassin

Suicide by exercise?:)  Although I've never pushed it for that long (running, that is) the biggest part of endurance feats is mental.  Yes it hurts for a long time, but that's not the same as being injured.  And then there's the boredom.  I'm thinking of downloading a lot of music.  And yes it is insane.  But really, if any of us were content with consensus reality we wouldn't be mixing aged juice with mushroom spoors and wrestling with bears!  (Ok, in my case I was wrestling with a French assassin, so I get a by, but the point is sound!)

Cro Magnon Assassin

19 Feb 2013,

German

Called Family

Notes:

Am toying with the idea of an "exercise day, rest day, exercise day, rest day..." pattern for this next challenge.  The idea is to significantly increase the intensity level of the workouts, and that will require more time recovering.  I've noticed over the last couple of challenges that I haven't really been pushing myself every time, and now I think I'm ready to embrace the madness again.  

Thinking of doing a light/ medium/heavy progression across the span of a week, with light being something like 18 Feb's routine.  This routine is designed to strengthen, but not exhaust.  I'll be keeping the road march on the light day, but bagging it on the medium and heavy days.  The calisthenics will become the warm up for the central activities on the medium and heavy days.

Not sure what medium will look like, I'm thinking the light routine + an hour or two of movement oriented continuous activity.  Something moderately aerobic that requires more coordination than calisthenics, but doesn't tap the strength-gotta leave something for the heavy days.  Even though the medium day looks like the red-headed step-child right now, ultimately, once I've got my body back to where I think it should be, this creative movement will be the foundation for my "free running" style.  Looking for graceful, fluid power.  This medium day is more about developing the capacity to creatively move through space, so it will no doubt center around one of these video dance games you see all over the place.  I want something that I can do in my living room so I don't have any excuses.  

The heavy days are where I'm going to really try to crush my will to live.  Really high repetitions or really long activities.  I'm thinking back on the 2000 continuous jumping jacks and I gotta wonder what I kind of things I could do before I'm a quivering ball of pain like Fear after his Kung Fu training.  I only hit collapse once, and that took a couple of months under ridiculously brutal conditions.  I'm not looking to do that again, but I'm wondering how close I can come to that line...I'm starting to get "hungry" again.  Been a few years since I felt that.  I think my psycho German ultra athlete did the Jedi mind trick on me...Like we used to say; "Pain is good, extreme pain is extremely good:)

Intend to do mobility/stretching on the recovery days.  This will become increasingly necessary.

The diet will be a work in progress.  Will probably add supplements to make sure I get enough of everything.  Might ditch the Paleo to get enough complex carbs, but will try to up the vegetables and fruits first.  Right now I'm about 60 percent animal proteins, but I really have to track my meals like Wolverine does to know what I'm doing and then adjust it rationally.  The alcohol rationing will be flexible too.  I'm thinking the caloric concerns will go away as I start getting serious about working out again, but we'll see.  

The German torture routine will still be a daily experience.  

I expect a couple of dips in the activity/intensity between the 18th and the 31st of March.  I'll be having family visit an we'll be traveling.  

Cro Magnon Assassin

20 Feb 2013,

Mobility Drills

Push ups x 50 x III

Fwd crunches x 50 x III

R crunches x 50 x III

L crunches x 50 x III

4 count flutter kicks x 50 x III

R BS squats x 10 x III

L BS squats x 10 x III

30 minutes movement work (dance, punch/kick, yoga drills)

Notes:

Not sure this will qualify as a "medium day" with respect to muscular effort, but, wow, am I clumsy!  I'm pretty sure my 10 year old Niece would crush me at this:)  The difficulty here is the coordination.  The punch/kick stuff isn't realistic, but it involves a lot of cross body movement and timing is an issue.  My dancing is tragic.  The yoga is more interesting when I'm flowing from drill to drill than what I had done on my own.  Will have to do the dance frequently, it's a significant hole in my development.  Will play around with the rest.

Cro Magnon Assassin

Now that you mention it I can see how my choice of terms might be confusing.  

I was thinking of how challenging each workout would be overall.  The "light" work out is pretty much a no brainer, I can do it on auto pilot in a relatively short period of time.  The numbers might increase to make it more demanding with regards to effort expended, but the skills have long since been hard-wired.  The push ups are the hardest part of this because I tend to lose them quickly when I don't do them regularly.

The "medium" work out is a pretty even mix between auto pilot activity and activities that I find more challenging.  "Challenging" mainly because they are activities that involve learning new skills, not necessarily because they require a lot of exertion, although I won't rule that out.  Activities requiring coordination during transitions have always been hard for me.

The "heavy" work out is going to be huge in both effort and the amount of mental determination that I have to build up to accomplish it.  I tend to think of high enduro activity as being more challenging in that way.

So yeah, heavy endurance is the right way to take it.

Cro Magnon Assassin

Dropped the dry goal on Valentine's Day.  Otherwise I pretty much nailed it.  It's not whether I can do it, just whether I want to.  Also ditched pure Paleo since the challenge ended.  Wondering what grains feel like.  Generally thinking of changing things up and am making comparisons to see.  After a week of drinking whenever, I can say that it's not something I'm interested in making a daily activity again.  I feel off in the morning.  between it and the grains I'm also feeling bloated.  Not sure what the "final" plan for booze and grains will look like, but it involves less for sure.  So yeah, it's worth it in my opinion.

Been doing the tentative work out plan this week.  Going to have to tweak it, I can see that already.  Won't have time to do the enduro stuff until Saturday, so maybe it will be Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday instead.

Cro Magnon Assassin

<p>22 Feb 2013</p>

<p>German</p>

<p>Mobility drills</p>

<p>50 push ups x III</p>

<p>50 f crunches x III</p>

<p>50 r crunches x III</p>

<p>50 l crunches x III</p>

<p>50 four count flutter kicks x III</p>

<p>10 BS squats x III</p>

<p>10 BS squats x III</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Notes:</p>

<p>Thinking of doing this M/W/F as my core strength work out.  Saving Saturday for enduro madness.  T/Th mobility and "dance" type stuff.  It's evolving, so it will change.  Not too sure about these "dance" workouts.  I'm about as graceful as a falling rock!  And I thought it would be easier to master than the gymnastics stuff-HAH!  </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Took a video of most of tonight's work out.  Will try to upload it but I have bad luck with the god of tech.  If it works it's about 30 minutes of me making ugly faces:)  Hmmmn.  Going to have to chop it down to fit the file limits.  Hope to get one complete set in, don't know if I can figure out how to edit it below that without skipping around so much that people get seizures watching it.</p>

Cro Magnon Assassin

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines