Otaku_Wanna_Fly: Finding a Hidden Playground

The morning was cold, grey, monotonous.  And silent.  It would have to be, otherwise the zombies would come.  I stretched the fatigue of uneasy sleep from my muscles, and rubbed warmth into the gooseflesh that raised itself upon my arms.  Sleep was blinked from my weary eyes as I took note of the time on my analog watch, bless it's little battery and the seemingly eternal life it possessed.  6:30 am.  I was running late.  More quickly than my tired body was prepared for, I rose from my nest of cozy pillows and comforter.  I shuffled and bumped amongst my things, careful not to wake my bunk mate.  My vision swam as I collected my gear, while my brain was still reaching back, calling out to the dreams I had so rudely pulled it from. Running shoes, jacket, beanie, pack, comms radio; check and check.

With silence earned through practice and frequent run ins with mortal danger, I eased my way to the door, patting the hefty pit bull I called my own on the head.  I glanced around the house I called "home" and sighed.  It was funny how the world worked.  When people had all kinds of unnecessary things, like television, cell phones and virtual games all over the place, they still seemed unhappy. Unsatisfied.  Now most people's homes were much like mine, barren of all but the most basic furniture, wash basins, blankets for keeping warm... and all we wanted to be happy was to be safe.  That was it, just the one thing.
  I shook my head and turned to step out of the front door.  My dog zipped past me into the yard and proceeded to pounce every puddle in sight (of which there was no shortage.)  I chuckled.  At least someone was enjoying the weather.  I picked my way through the marsh of my front lawn and grimaced as mud oozed over the toes of my shoes.  That was definitely going to soak in.  The slick muck that was the dirt driveway was maneuvered with some difficulty, but finally, I stepped onto the street.  
  "Sam, this is Runner Three, copy?"  I said into my radio, wishing I had a pair of gloves to keep the chilled weather from numbing my fingers.
  "Yeah, halfling, I got you. Just heading out? I expected to hear from you much earlier."  I scowled, loathing the communications operator of Abel Township for coming up with that blasted nickname.  And what's worse; it caught on.  With everyone.  Even my old partner.
  "Screw you, Sam.  I'll let you know when I'm beyond the gate."  The radio was slid into a pocket on the side of the light weight pack I wore, so whatever grunt of affirmation I got from Sam was lost.
  Lost... now there's a word that hurts.  
  I took the road at an easy pace, meandering about the ruined streets of the ruined town in an unconcerned manner until I reached the gate at the central entrance of Abel.  I checked in with Sam and unlocked the gate, the key to which was a responsibility given only to those that could bear it, like us runners.  I took a deep breath as an excuse to hesitate before stepping beyond the gate, locking it carefully behind myself.
  When I turned and stared at the corpse of the world that lay before me, my past washed over me like a riptide of acid.  Memories of terrible, horrid things gnawed at my mind with a shark's teeth, unmercifully tearing at my conscience.  "Four... run, Four.  Don't let them catch you, just leave me..."  I shook my head and glared at the surrounding woods with renewed resolve.
  Those filthy flesh eaters would pay.  Now that I was outside of town, I picked up the pace, and a quarter mile down the road, I turned onto an obscure foot path.  In the woods, stealth was more important than speed, so I slowed down, choosing my footing carefully, snapping no twigs, brushing no leaves.
  In Abel, the rule was that you avoid all contact with the afflicted.  If you're bitten, then you're shot. In the head. Twice.  Only the militants were allowed to engage because they were allowed access to weapons.  Well, if you ask me, most of them are also slow, and have over inflated egos to carry around because they're "the big bad boys with guns."  Puh-lease.
  I have a weapon that none of them can touch.
  I stepped into a clearing filled with other survivors much like myself, except that I recognized none of these people from Abel.
  "Otaku, you're here."  I have a guild of Assassins who are helping me train to fight amongst their ranks.  Who engage the enemy swiftly, and with a force that is as silent as it is deadly.  A group of people who are going to help me make sure that no one is ever lost to me like my family was, or like my partner, Runner Four was, ever again.

Before anything else, let me explain my mouthful of a name:  An otaku, for anyone not aware, is a Japanese term for a nerd, or someone lacking a social life. Otaku's are usually associated with being obsessed over anime or manga, or something else geeky.  That's me.  What otaku's aren't known for is athletic prowess.  Now, I used to be cool with that.  I'm not any more. I want more out of my life than vicariously living out someone else's fantastic existence.  I want to do something amazing *myself.*  I want to do something impossible. I want to fly. (No, not literally.  However, this is the reason why my profile image is a picture I drew of a guy sprouting wings. Metaphorically this is what I want to happen.)  If I could fly over the ground, like other people I've seen, that would fulfill my need to do something extraordinary.  If I could freerun, that would be enough.  So...

I'm super excited! The seventh marks day 1 of my first NerdFit Challenge! =D  So here are the four goals I'm going to try to stick to for the next six weeks.

Goal 1: Since this is my first challenge, and I'm just starting to get myself on the right track, goal numero uno is gonna be fairly simple (as will they all, I'm sure.)  Keep to my conditioning regimen that I have outlined in my daily battle log here:  http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/22318-assassin-log/

I already have outlined how the whole thing should progress, so it sort of measures itself out, so long as I keep track of how long I've been going.  Yay!

I'm not going to deduct from my grade if I take a recovery day, maybe once a week.  But this stuff isn't that hard, so any otherwise putting off and I'll start reducing my percentage.

[sTR:2  DEX:1 CON:1]

Goal 2: Goal 2 will be running.  I really need to work on my cardio if I plan to do freeRUNNING, hehe.  So since I don't have a track around here or anything at my disposal (in the middle of nowhere,) I'm going to run around the house.  Yep.  I don't know how far around that is, so instead of measuring the distance I run, I'll time how long I can keep running.  Right now I have practically no wind (at all!) so I'll time myself and spend the duration of the challenge trying to increase my time every week.  Maybe adding a minute a week is realistic?  So if I can sustain a run for two minutes, then by next Monday, hopefully I can last three, and so on.

I stopped timing my run duration during the second week because running in the mushy yard had me twisting my ankle a LOT.  At the same time I was also doing zombie runs more frequently than laps anyways.  So, basically that's what I've changed my running goal to.  I figure at least three missions a week?  That gives me a rest day in between each one, and the weekends to decide what I feel like doing. Missing missions will cost me a letter grade instead of decreased loops.

[sTA: 3  DEX:1]

Goal 3: Ah, the diet goal.  Originally, this was to start the paleo diet, but being as I don't buy the groceries, this isn't a realistic goal.  So instead I'm going to trade my three or four cups of coffee a day for one cup of joe and lots of water.  This shouldn't be too hard.

No excuses on this goal.  More than one cup of coffee a day= a deduction in letter grades.  I like strict guidelines ;D

[CON:3  CHA:1]

Goal 4:  In my battle log I mentioned KhanAcademy.com.  It's an awesome resource that's like online school, but for no credit.  My goal is to finish three lessons a week for the duration of the six week challenge.  Woot woot for smarts!

Unless the internet goes out and I can't find something else to constructively occupy my mind, then there's really no reason I can't accomplish this one.  For every week that I don't complete three lessons, I'll deduct a letter grade from this goal. (Six weeks, five letters. I could potentially screw myself on these =D )

[WIS:3]

I think I can reach these goals, so long as I stick to the plan =)  Here's to the next six weeks!

(Edited for grading outlines, intense zombification, and because I realized I was typing Khal instead of Khan. Thanks Game of thrones. Thanks a lot.)

Halfling; Samurai Assassin, Level 2

Challenge Number Three: Reboot

"Runners see the city in a different way. We see the flow... The flow is what keeps us running, keeps us alive."

ZOMBIES!!

For the running goal you could also do X number of loops around the house.  Start with 1 and work your way up.  Or set a target number of loops and time yourself on the first day, then make your goal to do the same number of loops in less time.

I'm having a lot of fun with this running goal of yours. :)

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Thanks Wolverine!  That's not a bad idea =D  I'll decide on Monday when I actually get out there and start which would be a more productive option.  I love you guys for the input.

"Runners see the city in a different way. We see the flow... The flow is what keeps us running, keeps us alive."

ZOMBIES!!

I am doing some foundational goals as well, so I understand what it means to build from the ground up... Sometimes the hardest part is simply jumping out of the nest, because you know you cant get back until you learn to fly!  So go get it, I believe in you! Good luck.

Chriskra, Level 1 Night Elf Ranger

STR 2|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 2|CHA 4

"The only easy day was yesterday"

Woo hoo!! Day one, complete! The only thing I'm having issues with is pull ups. Lol. But then again my "pull up bar" isn't ideal either.

My run time today was 56.8 seconds. :/ I feel like the swampish ground and the large pit bull running under my feet might have had something to do with me giving up so quickly. So I had a novel idea: what if I run on the road where there's no mushy grass to get sucked into? Hey, I'm a genius! Lol.

Anyway, I'm feeling that familiar burn on my abdomin that means I'm doing something good =) and that makes me happy face.

I'll add to the log again on Wednesday =D

ZOMBIES!!

You're gonna love this; the trampoline (the metal bar that encircles the jumping area) :/ it's the only sturdy thing I have to lift myself on. However, the bar is kind of thick and difficult to grip.

I also tried finding a sturdy tree branch to use, but the woods by where I live are full of mostly brush and thin trees with high branches. Dilemmas! =D

ZOMBIES!!

Thick and difficult to grip bar may hinder your pull-ups, but it'll help a lot with your grip/forearm strength!  I actually regularly switch up what I hold onto when I do pull-ups for that very reason.  You're just an advanced bodyweight trainer without knowing it. :)

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Yay, I'm secretly awesome! =D Haha, to be honest, if I could find anything more narrow to grip, I'd be all over it.

While I'm on here, my run time today was 1:02.15.  I got rid of the pit bull =D  It helped.  Hopefully the weather improves sometimes this week, that way I'll more inclined to go outside.

ZOMBIES!!

Running in squishy-ness and/or bad weather sucks.  Until you get used to it.  And getting rid of the pitbull probably helps alot! Keep with it, it's going to be awesome to see how far you can go at the end of six weeks.  Can't wait to see you flying!

Level 2 Assassin STR - 2 | DEX - 2 | STA - 2 | CON - 4 | WIS - 3 | CHA - 2

PostPolished - Blogging Simplified

Thanks for the feedback you guys. The squishy ness needs to dissipate! Hehee

Right now I'm working through basic math lessons online, working my way up through more difficult concepts. I've always ben bad in math and didn't get very far before dropping out, so I'm kind of reviewing before I take my ged.

Woodchic, be careful in that melty snow! Refrozen ice is the worst D=

ZOMBIES!!

You're gonna love this; the trampoline (the metal bar that encircles the jumping area) :/ it's the only sturdy thing I have to lift myself on. However, the bar is kind of thick and difficult to grip.

I also tried finding a sturdy tree branch to use, but the woods by where I live are full of mostly brush and thin trees with high branches. Dilemmas! =D

Haha, whatever works!

Otaku, I'm definitely following your progress.  I LOVE your name and can relate a lot myself!

I read through your battle log and as someone who got into parkour with the last challenge a few things I would pass along --

The roll is absolutely key and mandatory to preventing injury as you said. Live it, learn it, LOVE it! :)

If the weather sucks, as you've already demonstrated, practice inside.  practice your roll on the carpeted floor (or if you're a glutton for punishment, the hardwood like I did.) While not the most comfortable thing, it made rolling on the hard ground a LOT easier to get used to.

Also, quadrapedal movement is AWESOME!  If you have stairs in your house go up and down them on all fours, then mix it up right arm, then left leg, then left arm, then right leg on one stair, then move up to the next.  Get that going back and forth faster and faster.  You'll be amazed at the body awareness you'll gain from this and it's something that's easily practiced indoors.  If you don't have stairs, you can still practice Quad. movement (think running like a cheetah.)  I'll see if I can find the video I'm thinking of that helped me get started on it. 

Here's basic Quad -

Here's a gallop - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4vBQskEKEo

And here's what got me thinking of running like a cheetah - Ground Kongs!

This really helped me move towards starting a real Kong vault! 

I hope they helped you like they helped me out! :)

Keep pressing forward!  You're going to rock this!

- Michael

Fear, level 3 Blade Runner AssassinSTR 5|DEX 6|STA 6|CON 4|WIS 7|CHA 5

@Fear: Thanks a million for dropping in! =D The roll is massively fun for me for some reason, hehe.

Unfortunately, the house I'm staying in is elevated off of the ground, so it's very noisy to do something indoors (even walking heavily.)  If I have to practice indoors, it'll be when everyone's at school or work.  But hey, you do what you have to. ;)

I've been working on a cat crawl, so I have an idea of how important qm's are.  Thank you so much for those links, especially the ground kongs!  That's going to be a huge help to me in the long run. =)

Keep on dropping in on me in the future; it really keeps me motivated!

ZOMBIES!!

Alright, so first things first:  Today's run time 1:04.7.  Yay, improvement!  Maybe I won't be able to increase my time by a whole minute every week, but maybe 30 seconds is more realistic?  (I was SO not made for paced running.  Wild, unruly sprinting is definitely more my style :D )  We'll see how far I can go.

The rest of the exercises are fine so far, except for the pull ups.  D:<  I might have to increase the push ups I'm doing for now to further strengthen my arms/chest/upper back until I can achieve pull-uppage.  I've added reverse planks to my regimen, but I think I'm doing them wrong.  The only strain I feel is in my arms >.>  I'll have to work on those.  Leg lifts continue to be hellish.  (Meaning all is well in the Shire. XD )

For the most part, I think I'll be ready to increase the amount of work I'm doing come Monday.  No prob.

I have resisted the coffee monster so far!  =D  Well, mostly.  Last night, I had a killer head ache, so I drank a bit of iced coffee.  It proved effective, but I was kind of mad at myself for breaking my goal.  Negative 1 letter grade for the caffeine goal.  I've GOT to earn the rest of those possible attribute points!  (Angry self motivation > :D )

I definitely still need to get out and explore the surrounding area.  And I also have to remember to complete these challenges earlier in the day.  I usually do this:  keep letting them get done later and later until I eventually stop doing them.  That's a no-no.

I'm also going to head to KhanAcademy when I'm done updating here and knock out some of those lessons. =)

Also, my mom's wanting to sign up at the local Planet Fitness, so maybe I should join with her for some weight lifting?  I hear that's pretty popular around here. ;)  Also, I'm thinking the boost in my strength while I'm trying to get the hang of these parkour moves DEFINITELY couldn't hurt, right?

ZOMBIES!!

Wild, unruly sprinting is definitely more my style :D )

More fun like that in my opinion :)

The rest of the exercises are fine so far, except for the pull ups.

Are you working negatives for your pulls, they are very helpful to help get those pulls rolling.

Also, my mom's wanting to sign up at the local Planet Fitness, so maybe I should join with her for some weight lifting?

That's awesome having someone in the house with the same mindset will be great.  Also any exercise is good exercise, kinda a secret but many of assassins pick up heavy stuff and put it back down from time to time.  Hell there is even a legend of an assassin that uses a sledge hammer as her weapon of choice.

Sounds like your goals are moving forward, and that your having fun with it.  That's awesome.

Kyliewyotie

Level 15 Coyote Tinkerer
STR 27  DEX 18  STA 15  CON 14  WIS 14  CHA 12

Current Challenge

@Kylie Thanks for the input!  

I'm not doing negatives, but that's a fantastic idea!  Especially considering how low the trampoline is XD  Also, I just found this article on google, and I'm sitting here like, "How the freak did I miss this?"  Haha.

But yes, I'm also looking forward to working out with my mom.  We're very close, so that'll be doubly awesome for me.  And I am having a huge freakin blast, even with my sore muscles. :)

ZOMBIES!!

I second the pull-up negatives and using a routine of some sort (both the NF one and Twenty Pull-ups are good).  Push-ups will balance out the pulling work that you do, but won't translate to better/more pull-ups.

Crazy weird sprints will help with your other running so if you wanna run like a crazy person... run like a crazy person!

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines