Jennynot's Journey: Chapter 1

Jennynot

The screen glows on her face, flickering as the soundtrack from FTL blares from the tv behind her. Her boyfriend sits against the sofa, playing the game and tapping his foot to the music while eating a pizza. Its smell is undeniably tempting.

Her story is fairly typical: a student who gradually replaced her exercise with study and didn't realise the effect it was having on her physically and mentally until it was too late. Now she finds herself 40lbs heavier than she was 4 years ago, with a bodyfat percentage of 46%. She's currently in a soured relationship and a increasingly demotivated by her failing degree. She has tried to change many times, and ashamedly tried many of the quick-fix solutions which presented themselves; from internet pills to fasting to dietchef to herbalife. Some worked, some didn't - but she could never stick to them or keep the weight off. It's do or die now: she's sick of feeling old and tired and depressed all the time. She wants to find the woman she once was - and the first steps to finding it have taken her here. 

She chooses three fitness goals:

To be able to run for 25 minutes by week 6 (STA +5)

- she will start her challenge on week 1 by beginning a C25k running program. Hopefully this should ease her into cardio whilst providing some sense of achievement by rewarding her on a weekly basis as her times increase. If she performs it consistently, she should be able to run for 25 minutes by the end of week 6.

~potential scoresheet~

A - succeeding in the goals for week 6 of c25k (running for 25 minutes without stopping)

B - succeeding in the goals for week 5 of c25k (running for 2 x 10 minutes separately)

C - succeeding in the goals for week 4 of c25k (running for 5 minutes without stopping)

D - succeeding in the goals for week 3 of c25k (running for 3 minutes without stopping)

E - succeeding in the goals for week 2 of c25k (running for 2 minutes without stopping)

F - succeeding in the goals for week 1 of c25k (running for 1 minute without stopping)

Perform the 'Beginners Bodyweight Workout' three times a week (STR +3, STA +2) 

- the c25k cardio workout should only happen on three days (mon/wed/fri for convenience). On the in-between days, ideally, she will perform the beginners bodyweight workout. Since she currently does nothing this should hopefully cover both the cardio and weight boxes without being too unrealistic.

~potential scoresheet~

A - has performed the workout 3 times a week for 6 weeks

B - has performed the workout 3 times a week for 5 weeks

C - has performed the workout 3 times a week for 4 weeks

D - has performed the workout 2 times a week for 6 weeks

E - has performed the workout 2 times a week for 5 weeks

F - has performed the workout 2 times a week for 4 weeks

Drinking the right amount of water (CON +5)

- water is important for everything, and right now she's lucky if she drinks a litre a day - most of that consisting of tea (which as a diuretic might not even count). This might even be the most important goal of all, since her body relies on water to run efficiently mentally and physically.

~potential scoresheet~

A - has drunk, on average, 3+ litres a day (not including 'normal' tea)

B - has drunk, on average, 2+ litres a day (not including'normal' tea)

C - has drunk, on average, 2 litres a day (not including 'normal' tea)

D - has drunk, on average, 1.5 litres a day (not including 'normal' tea)

E - has drunk, on average, 1 litres a day (not including 'normal' tea)

F - has drunk, on average, 0.5 litres a day (not including 'normal' tea)

She chooses one life goal:

Will practise the bamboo flute 3 times a week (DEX +2, STA +2, WIS +1)

- right now her life consists of uni work and not much else. Theres many things that could go in here; actually going and meeting people outside of uni, going back to the classes she used to go to... but this social aspect is too closely tied to her feelings about how she looks - and the negative comments people make when she does do these things. She figures she needs to be stronger in herself, more balanced, before she can face that again - and right now that balance will come in the form of her long-neglected creative side. That flute has been sitting in it's case for the 6 months since she bought it - it's time to make music!!

~potential scoresheet~

A - succeeding in practising the bamboo flute 3+ times a week

B - succeeding in practising the bamboo flute 2+ times a week

C - succeeding in practising the bamboo flute 1+ times a week

D - succeeding in practising the bamboo flute 5 times

E - succeeding in practising the bamboo flute 4 times

F - succeeding in practising the bamboo flute 3 times

She takes a deep breath and hopes she's set everything up correctly ;/

(Account deleted)

I can relate to your story, more specifically the part about not feeling confident when around others. I've been like this my whole life (I think I learned this from my mother who weighs 130 lbs and has been saying ever since I can remember that she's fat, and she's still saying it). I prefer to just stay at home than to have to face trying to put on my favorite jeans to  go out and realize that they're now uncomfortably tight (UGH!).  I've been neglecting my creative side as well and what's worse is that I got a Bachelor's in art! Anyways, I'm going to stop now, I think this stuff belongs in my journal...

Do your best every day and remind yourself why you are doing this. Believe that you will reach your targets! We can do it!

Good luck!

Lv 1 Zombie AdventurerSTR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 4 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 1

“What you do is create a vision of who you want to be, and then live into that picture as if it were already true.â€-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Lovely, lovely writeup - I'm afraid I haven't had enough sleep to be able to formulate a response in kind, so I'll just say WELL DONE! I remember my first try at the C25K nearly a year ago; week 1 looks so easy on paper, but when you're doing it... -_- And you did it! Even though it was awful at the end! And you're going to do it again and it's going to be easier and easier!

I also hear you about the lean, lithe runners in their lycra suits, gliding along the paths like cheetas overtaking a little puffing steam locomotive... How I've resented them, wishing one of their shoelaces to untie so they'd crash into a puddle... You don't care about them. First, if you're packing a bit of extra weight, it means you're working as hard, or harder, as them even if you're going a bit slower. Second, they were slow once two. Third, it doesn't matter; what matters is the effort you're doing. One day you'll overtake the beginners :)

I hope you're having fun playing the flute too, lovely instrument!

Well done you for getting out there! I have so been in your boat. I thought I would never be able to run one mile but now I can, it takes time but you can do it. I just hate the feeling that it is the deamons in my head that let me down. I don't struggle to run anymore physically but sometimes I just - can't be bothered. I end up walking instead but I try not to beat myself up at those times and just remember that at least I am up and out and the dogs are getting a walk if not a run so it doesn't matter too much. Self hate is the enemy.

livlovra Level 2 Adventurer with a Warrior heart

STA 4/STR 8/DEX 3/CON 8/WIS 3.75 + 1/CHA 4.75

My 2nd 6 Week Challenge

Admirable goals, well thought out. It looks like you're making reasonable progress, don't get discouraged by other people who look like they;re doing better. Remember they all started somewhere and they can be surprisingly understanding about things. Unless they're those mean girls form high school, they're just evil. 

Also... I love your writing style. Nice work, is it a hobby or are you making a career out of it?

Space_Elf, Fallohide Hobbit Level 0. STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Battle Log | 

Science fiction is an existential metaphor, that allows us to tell stories about the human condition. Isaac Asimov once said: "Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

I really like the way you've written up your goals and your first recap!  Great start to the C25K too.  I've done it before... it's definitely difficult to get started, but you'll be amazed at how quickly your body adapts.  Just make sure you're not trying to run too fast - distance/time is more important than speed right now. So slow it down if you have to! :-)

Saturn Girl, level 1 Amazonian Adventurer
STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 4 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

fitocracy | challenge 1 | why is Saturn Girl my hero?

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

But you never regret doing a workout once you've finished! Keep fighting for yourself, you have it in you!

Lv 1 Zombie AdventurerSTR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 4 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 1

“What you do is create a vision of who you want to be, and then live into that picture as if it were already true.â€-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Shame is a powerful thing. And it seems to me that you are in a fight for your life with a tyrant of a bully.

I like Steve's recent article about resolutions and why they suck. About what identity we choose for ourselves. Remember the Rules of the Rebellion: We don't care where you came from.

"Letting it get this bad" is a reference to the past. Where you came from. It is irrelevant.

Where you are now is "Someone who runs." "Someone who gets up and does lunges and push ups, even if she slept in." To hell with the bully. Her lies and nonsense will persist, but that's all they are and you are a different person now.

I feel that shame when I'm out running in my 246 lb body. But you know what I remind myself? I remind myself of what I think when I see someone running. I think, "Boy, I wish I had gone for a run today. I really should do that." That's exactly what they're thinking in their cars. They see you out there and they think, "Oh, man. Look at her go. She's out there and I've done sweet nothing today / I missed my workout yesterday / Boy, I should get to the gym this week."

Seriously. They're so wrapped up in their own self they are likely inspired by you. So keep it up. Sweat and grunt and beat that bully into a pulp. You've got this!

veritate
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
Level 1
Orc Adventurer/Enchantress
STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3 | CHA 2
First Challenge: Orc emerges, sets foot on the path for the first time

Current Challenge: Orc Enchantress Ventures Out Once More

If you really didn't enjoy the workout, maybe you should find a different one. I spend a lot of time watching workout videos to decide which ones are easy enough for me to do or at least have people leading them that don't annoy me. Youtube is treasure trove of exercise videos that have workouts as short as 5 minutes or as long as 30. You should find one that makes you happy to work out and feel accomplished when you're done. 

Space_Elf, Fallohide Hobbit Level 0. STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Battle Log | 

Science fiction is an existential metaphor, that allows us to tell stories about the human condition. Isaac Asimov once said: "Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

If you really didn't enjoy the workout, maybe you should find a different one. I spend a lot of time watching workout videos to decide which ones are easy enough for me to do or at least have people leading them that don't annoy me. Youtube is treasure trove of exercise videos that have workouts as short as 5 minutes or as long as 30. You should find one that makes you happy to work out and feel accomplished when you're done. 

I agree with this. That's another rule of the rebellion - We exercise because it's fun and if it's not fun, we don't do it.

Find a jungle gym and monkey around on it for 15 minutes. Go shoot some hoops. Do some karate drills. Sweating in your living room isn't the only way to get stronger!

veritate
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
Level 1

Love the way you write it sucks me in and I am hanging out for more!

Dint let the Shane win imagine how you will feel in 6 weeks time if you make it through.

THE BOX

walk in terrified, walk out accomplishedsmile...tomorrow will be worse.sore muscles, calloused hands, bruised shinsbarbells, kettlebells, pr bellsstrong minds, committed, dedicatedSUFFERING TOGETHERconquering the girls, honoring the fallenwhere members are family pushing and striving to beBETTER THAN YESTERDAY.

My Thread - http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/22905-rock-it-like-grokette/?p=376690

Sorry for the typos have fumble fingers

THE BOX

walk in terrified, walk out accomplishedsmile...tomorrow will be worse.sore muscles, calloused hands, bruised shinsbarbells, kettlebells, pr bellsstrong minds, committed, dedicatedSUFFERING TOGETHERconquering the girls, honoring the fallenwhere members are family pushing and striving to beBETTER THAN YESTERDAY.

My Thread - http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/22905-rock-it-like-grokette/?p=376690

Sorry for the typos have fumble fingers

THE BOX

WELL DONE on your workout! And yes, good call on being kind to your aching thighs. Remember that the only good workout is one that lets you live your life happily afterward! Injuries will only set you back. Leading to more shame and frustration. Ice is your friend in the meantime!

@Samlam and Veritate: Yeah, the shame is strong within me. I guess that's just one of those things that eveolves - I hope it will melt away with the weight. Also, it has to be said that having completed these circuits and the running does make me feel alittle better about myself even though it's day 4. Like, I'm not making excuses like I would have, not putting it off. I'm doing it and that's new, and a tiny source of pride - even if I look and feel ridiculous when I'm doing it. Baby steps. Like you said, in 6 weeks I'll feel proud (hopefully).

Here's the thing about shame: unless you make a decision to no longer tolerate it, it will find a way to remain. It is illogical, and therefore there is no direct "reason" why you are feeling it. So please don't wait for the weight to come off. It will cripple you time and again, sabotaging your progress.

But with pride and strength, there are direct reasons. You just have to accept them! Be proud of fitting that workout into your busy morning. Be proud of waking up on time. Be proud of the inches coming off. Look that shame straight in the eye and say, "To HELL with you! The weight is incidental to my awesome fitting-workouts-into-my-busy-morning skillz!"

veritate
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
Level 1

ooc: thankyou Veritate, that whole post made me smile. And, though I recognise your wisdom in the 'shame' related advice, putting that into practise may be another thing entirely! 

I am tempted to make your last sentence my signature ;p

DO IT! Write it on a post-it and put it on your scale.

veritate
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
Level 1

Just remember that "No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everybody on the couch"  :onthego:

MoveBy Faith

Nord Adventurer

Level 1

STR: 1        DEX: 2

STA: 7        CON: 3

WIS: 6        CHA: 4

Current Challenge: MoveBy Faith's Challenge Round Two

"She believed she could so she did."

I love the way you've written out your posts!! Keep going. :)

I finally went on a run myself this morning, and I used to be able to run for 40 minutes... I made it about, 5/10 minutes this time. And I mostly walked in between, but there was also a lot of ice I had to be careful about. Still, though, you are not alone! You'll get up to 25 minutes in no time! :)

I just found your log because I didn't see the link on your signature for some reason, sorry bout that. Anyway, I would give anything to have half of your writing ability. You absoloutly have a gift. I'm sure you hear that all the time, but that really grabbed me and pulled me in. I would definatly recomend finding a person or two to go on runs/walks with. It seems that when people are in a group, they are less self conscious and feel more confident. Find some kind of support system, even if its only on here. Starting is the hardest part of this whole thing and we all feel a little awkward at first. I know I do. I can promise you that any shame or embarrassment that we might feel is just premature enlightenment if we stick with it. And anybody who can workout to the Lonely Mountain Song is pretty damn awesome in my opinion :)  Like the other person on here said, waking up early and excercising takes a certain fortitude all by itself. Don't just look shame in the eye, bitch-slap it and kick it to the curb, and give yourself a pat on the back or a big hug and keep on moving. I'll be cheering you on.

-Porkchop

Porkchop / Level 4 / Mammal-Adventurer

STR - 14  DEX - 4  STA - 7  CON - 11 WIS - 13  CHA - 7

“Wherever you are...be all there†

Challenge #4

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines