Substix' challenge - it is ON

Jakob Kopfeld

Hi fellow Rangers :)

My starting points right now are: 
weight: Last measurement before christmas 86,6kg (i have no scale at home)
height: Somewhere around 185-190cm, estimate cause I honestly don't care to know my exact height.
I'm 23 Years Old. 
I'm a complete noob when it comes to working out. For the past 5 years of my life the sum of my physical activities is 5 visits to the gym, getting dragged along by my brother who works out regularly.
All of this is about to change now

Goal number 1: Hit the Gym every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. (+2STR +2STA +1CHA)

Since I can't affort paying for a gym at the moment, I struck a deal with a wealthy person I know. As Long as I visit the gym more than 10 times a month, I don't have to pay for the membership. So not going to the gym has a huge financial drawback for me. I think this one will be the easiest. I will post my planned routine here (or at a more appropriate part of these forums, if I manage to find such a place) once I'm done picking my exercises.

Goal number 2: Stick to full Paleo diet for at least 30 days, Semi Paleo for the rest of the six weeks. (+2CON +1CHA)

After those 30 days (starting 1/5/13) I'm going to consider re-adding wholegrain bread and milk to my daily breakfast (Getting a B grade). If I don't miss it (and can afford it) im gonna stick to full paleo. Attaining an A-Grade in this challenge is only possible by actually sticking with it for the whole 6 weeks though. I think the hardest Part here will be eating my breakfast eggs without salt (Adding Salt drops Grade to C). Eating Anything non paleo or mentioned above is default F for this challenge.

Goal number 3: Do a Pull-up (+2STR +2DEX)

This is something I have never been able to do my whole life. I had a few embarrassing moments trying while rock climbing and in phys ed, but no more. I'm not planning on designing my workout routine for the next six weeks around this goal. I'm rather hoping that this one will be a side effect the combination of my general workout routine and losing weight.

Goal number 4: Get a Job/Find some other steady source of revenue (+3WIS)

This one was the hardest to pick for me, because there is so much in my life that needs changing. I chose this one, because it seemed to be a hierachy level below all the others. Afterall a man's got to eat. Sadly eating things a caveman could, doesn't give me the possibilities to attain said nourishments the same way.

Level 4 Human Ranger

The only Way to accomplish greatness is to set your goals even higher.

STR: 15 || DEX: 9 || STA: 10

CON: 12 || WIS: 9 || CHA: 6

Check out my challange Thread (4)

Okay, so my first reply.

Today I hit the gym for the first time on my own. Since I don't have a membership anywhere I just went to the nearest and asked for a free trial. They wouldnt give me one so I had to pay. The gym overall was decent; it was clean, not a lot of people there at 10am and friendly personnel. Im gonna keep looking though, I think I can find a better one. 
I tried focusing on good form on my workout today (did: Barbell Squats, Deadlift, Benchpressing, Single Hand Inclined dumbbell Rows (5 sets each) and Planks) and tried to test my limits in weight liftet. That went reasonably well, Benchpress was the only exercise on which I had to scale down the weight after only managing 4 reps with 40kg in the third set. I even had to do the fifth set with just the barbell cause I had trouble keeping good form in the fourth set.

Paleo diet is still going strong, So far I manged to stick to it 100%. Cooking my own and cleaning up after it takes more time than I expected, but I even managed to make a tasty meal for the first time today. That gave me a boost in morale on the Paleo diet.

The pullup goal: I managed to hit 17,5kg on my fifth set or dumbbell rows, I think I executed it clean aswell, so I might replace those with Body weight rows on Wednesday. Not sure yet, though. 

Generating a steady revenue of income is on my agenda for Wednesday when I have an appointment to clarify if I qualify for unemployed payments.

Level 4 Human Ranger

Best of luck with your goals substix! My first challenge as well. We got this! Kudos on going Paleo!

♣IRISHodabred♣, Level 2 Celtic Hound Archon Ranger: STR 8|DEX 5|STA 6|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 6

2nd Challenge Log: Will Squat for...

1st Challenge Log: Gym Class Hero Challenge

“Discipline Is Choosing Between What You Want Now And What You Want Most.â€

"You have to do what others won't to achieve what others don't"

"Do or do not, there is no try"

Challenge update: Hit the Gym again today. After visiting 3 other places that sucked for various reasons (one only had machines, I mean come on! Other one, big franchise I'm guessing, cost as much as I pay for food monthly) I went back to the same place as monday. Exercises are the same, but today I did more Reps (12 each) and less sets (3 each) I also had to lower the weight on the exercises to accomodate for the increased number of repetitions. Benchpress is still the exercise that gives me the most trouble, but its progressing decently, I managed to stick with 25kg through all three sets.

Paleo still at 100% im stickin to it like a boss!

Did 3x12 reps with low weight dumbells today trying to execute as clean as possible. I decided to start body weight rows monday next week.

It looks like I might get paid for going to the gym, eating healthy and becomeing a better person in general. HURRAY GO ME!

Level 4 Human Ranger

Third update this week:

Went to the gym in accordance with challenge nr 1. Did my usual routine of 5 Warmup. Squats, Deadlifts, Benchpresses (probably the hardest exercise for me) and Bend Over Dumbbell Rows, Planks and then Stretching. Was a good time. I can't wait to go there again :D

I cooked (or rather fried? Dunno what its called I used a pan and a little bit of oil to make the meat edible) Pork for the first time yesterday. It was a welcome change to only chicken Breast. I also had Broccoli for the first time in a long long while and found out that I actually LOVE to eat broccoli.Tomorrow I'll have grass-fed beef for the first time. As I currently don't have nuts my snacks consist of only fruit atm (about 2 apples or oranges or Pears or whatever I got). 

As for challenge nr 3: I went for medium Weight, medium Reps with the BODBR which translates to 4x8 reps with 12,5kg. I executed them clean, but had a problem with the last two reps in set nr4. Starting Monday I will be doing Body Weight Rows. Just gotta figure out how to in the gym.

For my life goal: Today I officially registered as looking for work. Sadly I won't be getting any unemployment payings as I did not log enough workdays in the last two years. Sad but not a problem. Thats just an incentive to find a Job faster.

Also on Monday I'm gonna take my cam to the gym and get some footage of me doing my exercises so I can get a Formcheck. Safety first.

Level 4 Human Ranger

quick update in between! 
Yesterday I went out for drinks the first time since starting this challenge/my paleo diet. I got a looot of weird looks for my glass of tap water. Some of my friends though I was drinking vodka out of a water glass and just wouldn't admit it. BUT I managed to stick to water the whole evening! FYEAH

Level 4 Human Ranger

quick update in between! 

Yesterday I went out for drinks the first time since starting this challenge/my paleo diet. I got a looot of weird looks for my glass of tap water. Some of my friends though I was drinking vodka out of a water glass and just wouldn't admit it. BUT I managed to stick to water the whole evening! FYEAH

Oh, I've been here! I have a glass of sparkling water and ask for a twist of lemon in it. Makes it look more like a festive alcoholic beverage. In our area, some bars will give the designated driver free non-alcoholic drinks. 

Good for you for sticking to your plan in the face of peer pressure!

You really had a GREAT week!! I think a big heaping helping of awesomeness is in your future! 

"Enthusiasm is the great hill-climber." - Elbert Hubbard
Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can enjoy all the things the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2022 Battle Log2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

Congrats on your progress so far and not succumbing to the temptress alcohol! Getting paid to work out is what got me started too. My friend and I made a friendly wager over how much muscle I could gain in 2 months. I won, and I'm still milking a free gym membership out of it. The best motivator in the world is money, right?

Speaking of, good luck with the job search. It seems like you're staying upbeat about it, and taking the proper steps to file for unemployment benefits. I would recommend trying to use your personal network to find a job over classifieds like craigslist and monster.com. Make a LinkedIn profile, and let everyone know you're looking for something new in terms of employment and what you're interested in and particularly good at.

While the job search is going on, you might look into starting a small business of your own. I just started reading The $100 Startup by Chris Guillebeau and Tim Ferris' 4-Hour Workweek is great as well. After all, you can't spend all your time networking, sending out resumes and writing cover letters.

Level 3 Warrior

STR 12.5 | DEX 3 | STA 5.5 | CON 10.5 | WIS 5.5 | CHA 3

Challenge #1

Challenge #2

Challenge #3

Oh, I've been here! I have a glass of sparkling water and ask for a twist of lemon in it. Makes it look more like a festive alcoholic beverage. In our area, some bars will give the designated driver free non-alcoholic drinks. 

Good for you for sticking to your plan in the face of peer pressure!

You really had a GREAT week!! I think a big heaping helping of awesomeness is in your future! 

The lemonwedge Idea is great, I'm definately doing that the next time I go out. 

Yep a great week it was, I'm hoping next one's even better :)

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement! 

Level 4 Human Ranger

Speaking of, good luck with the job search. It seems like you're staying upbeat about it, and taking the proper steps to file for unemployment benefits. I would recommend trying to use your personal network to find a job over classifieds like craigslist and monster.com. Make a LinkedIn profile, and let everyone know you're looking for something new in terms of employment and what you're interested in and particularly good at.

While the job search is going on, you might look into starting a small business of your own. I just started reading The $100 Startup by Chris Guillebeau and Tim Ferris' 4-Hour Workweek is great as well. After all, you can't spend all your time networking, sending out resumes and writing cover letters.

I'm definately getting a job cause if I don't I wont be able to eat next month. Which would be a major downer. Yeah I put my feelers out on a plethora of socilal networks and I'm listed on a few job hunting sites. I hope it doesn't take long. 

I dunno about my own business, I have next to no qualifications or experience. I'll give it a thought though

Thank you very much for your encouraging words

Level 4 Human Ranger

Challenge Update #4

First up like every monday Body measurements and picture. Compared to last week I look awesome! Measurements are down across the board with a minimum of .5cm on the neck and maximum of 5.5cm at the Hip. With an average loss of 2.43cm across the board. Im soooo happy right now :D

#1 Went to the gym again today! Scored new PRs on Deadlift, Squats and Benchpressing. Only secound week of weight liftingt, but I'm still f'n proud of my accomplishment. Did 5 reps of: 50kg Squats, 40kg Bench Press and 55kg Deadlift! I also taped myself today so I can post some videos for a quick form check. After some editing I'll make a post in the Form check Forums.

#2 Still doing Full Paleo, even when I went out with my friends on Friday (see earlier post). Had a minor minor slipup when I ate at my Mothers because she used CanolaOil instead of Olive for the meat(rest of the meal was full paleo). But she unly used a tiny little bit cause she's trying to slim up herself. I don't think that this will have an impact on my grading for this challenge, since it was only once.

#3 Did my first Body Weight Rows today. That went decently well. I used the smith machine (shudder) for that, picked the 5th lowest nudge for the bar. I was able to do a full set of 8 (with touching the bar with my chest) then a not soo clean set of 7 (Didn't touch the bar twice) and a last set of 6 where I had to push myself to the limit to touch the Bar once. Body Weight Rows are an awesome Exercise though. 

Life goal: In the afternoon I'm going to send out at least 3, goal 5, Job appliances.

Level 4 Human Ranger

Wow, fantastic progress! And great work with the diet -- what you eat takes so, so much discipline. Good on you!

theladders.com has a really interesting ebook about resume-writing. It was very helpful for me, when I was recrafting mine. 

Level 2 Half-elf Druid

STR: 3 | DEX: 6.5 | STA: 1 | CON: 6.5 | WIS: 4.5 | CHA: 3

If you do not change where you are headed, you will end up where you are going.

Wow, fantastic progress! And great work with the diet -- what you eat takes so, so much discipline. Good on you!

theladders.com has a really interesting ebook about resume-writing. It was very helpful for me, when I was recrafting mine. 

Thank you for your encouraging words :)

I'm definately checking out that ebook (is it free? moneys kinda tight right now) tomorrow when I send my next round of applications.

Sounds like you are doing great!  I'm so proud of you for sticking to it even though friends were ribbing you.  It probably felt good to show them you could have a good time with or without alcohol :)

As far as the canola oil, I wouldn't mark yourself down for that. A minor blip.

Yeah, I'm doing great, I hope I can continue to make progress.

Exactly my thoughts. Thanks for your kind words!

Level 4 Human Ranger

PRs and keeping paleo! Woot!!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Great work on the lifting PRs!

Thanks! I just started doing strength training, so as expected the PRs are comeing in. I'm definately gonna beat those next monday at the latest.

PRs and keeping paleo! Woot!!

Woot indeed. It was tough in the beginning but now I really enjoy it. Also Paleo forced me to start cooking, which incresed my quality of life by atleast 30% :D

Level 4 Human Ranger

If you've just started lifting, you'll probably hit PRs for the next couple of months. And I can tell you that it feels great!

HALF-OGRE
Level 3 Ranger / Level 1 Sexy Grandpa

Str: 10.75 Dex: 11 Sta: 9.25 Con: 7.5 Wis: 6.75 Cha: 5.75

"The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want most for what you want right nowâ€. ― Zig Ziglar

Introduction
Current 6 week challenge
My workout log

Specialization is for insects. Do all the things!

If you've just started lifting, you'll probably hit PRs for the next couple of months. And I can tell you that it feels great!

Yeah it has given me a big boost in confidence and motivation every time so far :)

Quick-inbetween-update on my life goal:

I sent out 3 job applications today. One was actually for a Job I'd WANT to do. The other two were for inbetween jobs to keep paying the bills.

Level 4 Human Ranger

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines