Girls (and Boys) Who Eat Their Feelings

werwolf

Eating to surrender definitely counts as eating your feelings. I do it too. Congrats on having that lightbulb moment and realizing not only what your're doing, but why. Now comes the hard part- put down the spoon and step away from the peanut butter... :)

I read a study once that said doing ANYTHING in the gym is more anabolic than doing NOTHING sitting in front of the computer.

~Chris Shugart @ T-nation

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it: through forging, it becomes steel and is

transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.

~Morihei Ueshiba

Favorites:

* Robb Wolf Podcast #68- Matt Lalonde vs gluten (<-transcript)

*Documentary: Fat Head

*NF blog:Most Inspirational 20 Minutes

*Starting Strength Wiki

I think the first step is realizing it, which you can now check off on the laundry list of things to do to get to your goal. If you recognize the "F*** it" moment when it happens next time, come online and join us for a rant or three. Congratz on the milestone (even if it doesn't really feel like a milestone) and looking forward to seeing more of you around here!

Ah, yes, peanut butter mothra....covered in chocolate, yummy :D

Oh wait. *slaps himself* out of his sugar high. Bad!

And out of my moment of insanity, I agree. It sucks. Emotionally stressed eating doesn't seem to be my issue anymore *crosses fingers* (thank you intermittent fasting!), but boredom eating is scary! And I don't know how to get rid of it...

Somewhere along the line (at least a couple of years ago), I realized that I was less of an emotional eater and more of an emotional go-to-the-kitchen-er. Kitchens are places of comfort for me, so I typically wander into them when I'm feeling down. The problem, though is... what do you do in a kitchen besides prepare food? I'd end up eating because it gave me reason to be in the kitchen.

Somewhere along the line (at least a couple of years ago), I realized that I was less of an emotional eater and more of an emotional go-to-the-kitchen-er. Kitchens are places of comfort for me, so I typically wander into them when I'm feeling down. The problem, though is... what do you do in a kitchen besides prepare food? I'd end up eating because it gave me reason to be in the kitchen.

I feel the same way about kitchens. They're just comforting places to be. But instead of making food when you go in there you could make some tea and clean. It works for me most of the time and my kitchen tends to stay pretty shiny, which in turn makes me a happy kid.

I feel the same way about kitchens. They're just comforting places to be. But instead of making food when you go in there you could make some tea and clean. It works for me most of the time and my kitchen tends to stay pretty shiny, which in turn makes me a happy kid.

Well, it's pretty easy to avoid that problem now, since I'm living in the dorms again. The kitchens here aren't disgusting, but they're far from comforting. Great idea, though. :D I'll probably do that. Especially if I'm at my dad's house -- he has an even better variety of tea than I keep. >:D He's Jamaican born, though, and Jamaica retains the English love of tea from its colonial days.

Finally! A healthy way to destress with a cupcake!

The people who design things for ThinkGeek are brilliant. If I had any use for a sleeping bag, I'd be all over the Tonton one.

That's just disturbing on so many levels. Almost as disturbing as giving the peanut butter monster a name...like mothra. If I didn't know any better I'd say it's almost cute ;)

That pretty much sums me up as well. Disturbing, but almost cute. :) Also, glitter-encrusted evil.

The people who design things for ThinkGeek are brilliant. If I had any use for a sleeping bag, I'd be all over the Tonton one.

I wish I had a great deal of money to waste on their products. As it stands, I have a small but well-loved collection.

Before this thread turned into a thinkgeek discussion, I was going to say that I think the best thing you can do to avoid food bindges like this is to not have any bad food in your hosue. I know that's not always possible, but I think a lot of the time I bindge on junk food it's just a matter of availability.. I look in the fridge and see whatever yummy leftoevers are still in there from whatever restaurant I at at the other night and it's too good to resist. Last week I had a cheat day and got some delivery. The next day, after eating some fries and a left over half-cheeseburger without even really thinking about it, I painfully made myself throw out the rest of the food so I wouldn't be tempted to eat more of it later. I think sometimes the more you can limit your opportunity the better off you might be.

MyFitnessPalFitocracy | Twitter | Email

Niente è vero, tutto è permesso.

At PAX last year I got a can of Tutty and Beans from the NCSost guys as a promo for Aion... If you can get the lid off (it's very hard plastic) there's a little stuffed... anteater is probably the best animal that I can use to describe it.

I think the canned unicorn was the product that got a cease and desist order sent to Gawker by the Pork Board becasue someone on 4chan (or wherever) captioned "The Other White Meat" on the photo that Gawker used for the April Fool's joke. Stupid Pork Board...

I read a study once that said doing ANYTHING in the gym is more anabolic than doing NOTHING sitting in front of the computer.

~Chris Shugart @ T-nation

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it: through forging, it becomes steel and is

transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.

~Morihei Ueshiba

Favorites:

* Robb Wolf Podcast #68- Matt Lalonde vs gluten (<-transcript)

*Documentary: Fat Head

*NF blog:Most Inspirational 20 Minutes

*Starting Strength Wiki

I've said this before, but I'll say it again here:

I find it amusing how making unhealthy options just slightly more difficult to get to really does focus the mind. Somehow in that walk across the room/rearrangement of things in a closet/digging through a drawer I get a few more seconds to ask myself if I really need what I'm about to shove in my face. It's like when you have that twinge of guilt as a child right before you reach into the cookie jar before dinner. It's a hesitation from your better self. And, I have to admit, I sometimes tell my better self to stick it where the sun don't shine and I get what I'm looking for anyway. But other times, I sigh and agree that I don't actually require those Jelly Bellys. ... And then I pout. :)

I've said this before, but I'll say it again here:

I find it amusing how making unhealthy options just slightly more difficult to get to really does focus the mind. Somehow in that walk across the room/rearrangement of things in a closet/digging through a drawer I get a few more seconds to ask myself if I really need what I'm about to shove in my face. It's like when you have that twinge of guilt as a child right before you reach into the cookie jar before dinner. It's a hesitation from your better self. And, I have to admit, I sometimes tell my better self to stick it where the sun don't shine and I get what I'm looking for anyway. But other times, I sigh and agree that I don't actually require those Jelly Bellys. ... And then I pout. :)

Guilt? What's that? As far as keeping them out of reach, I find that it's easier to leave them on the store shelves. I will purposefully not go to the store when I'm craving sweets. I will avoid the freezer section of trader joe's (where they put all of the chocolate wrapped items. Seriously, there's a lack of real chocolate there. All it is is chocolate covered this, chocolate covered that....*rolls eyes* I am in the process of cleaning out my pantry and discovering just how many terrible things I have for me...

Couple things worth noting about impulsive eating:

I think a lot of people have a "scarcity" mentality when it comes to junk food. If it's offered (especially for free), we feel compelled to have some because the opportunity will not be there forever. The snack will soon disappear and then we won't be able to get it any more. Some people hoard things because of this instinct.

This pattern works great when food really is scarce (hello caveman brain), but in industrialized countries, it need not be said: junk food is all too abundant, and more importantly, it will ALWAYS BE THERE LATER. They're never gonna stop manufacturing Cheetos. If you swore off Cheetos for the rest of the year, you could walk into a store a year from now and get them again, and the short-term taste gratification would be the same. The only difference would be that you went a year without eating them.

Sometimes when you walk past a candy bowl or the office is having pizza (or whatever), you think to yourself, "I'd better grab while the getting is good." Zap that thought and replace it with, "Not today; if I want the treat I can always get it some other time. Today I choose healthy. Tomorrow, we'll see." Put that well-honed procrastination skill to work ;)

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

I have an awesome ability to talk myself into thinking I don't have any time for anything...so it turns into "I'll grab breakfast on the way to work" or "I'll get BK on the way home" or something along those lines...when I'm awake in the mornings in plenty of time...or I can get home and heat up the stuff I already have cooked and it would take just as long as waiting in the drive thru...and cost much less.

"I am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was. I figured that if I said it enough, I would convince the world that I really was the greatest. "- Muhammad Ali

Hey, just wanted to pitch in on this one.

Chocolate. The beautiful, tasty nemesis of my day to day.

Having suffered from on/off depression for about six years comfort eating has become almost a routine that is still as hurtful post-event as it ever was. I don't have advice unfortunately, but I do have understanding. If anybody needs to talk about it, I'll be checking here every couple of days and probably more as time goes on.

I just keep believing it'll get better and this site seems to be a key to that better place.