Red's Take on Level Grinding

Red1263

Like all good RPG players, I'm going to spend this time, running around in circles fighting random monsters and gaining experience to reach the next level, translated into NF, this means that I will try to perform exercises that require much more effort than what I'm already used to, building strength and endurance, during this challenge. I've seen the New Assassin's PR chart (Here) so it'll be my guide as to the next step in what's the next test will be, all using the Advanced Body Weight routine, Steve put. So without further ado...

Goals:

1. Arms (Push-ups) - To increase my arm strength, I'm currently at Diamond Push-ups, so the next step here would be to try 1-Arm Push-ups. During the challenge, I'll research and try to do 1-Arm Push-ups, and at the end, try to do as many as I can. Str +3
  2. Legs (Squats) - This particular goal involves both balance as well as strength, as I will try to do 1-legged Shrimp Squats, I'm currently at Pistols, and I will need more leg strength and balance to try to make this transition. Str +2 Dex +2
  3. Core (Plank) - Mainly focused on Stamina, I will try to have as long a time as possible on the 1-leg, 1-arm Plank, currently on the standard. Dex +2 Sta +3
  4. Life - Reading! I've always been fascinated with trying to pick this up as a hobby, and now I'm going to do it! Using Goodreads.com, I'm going to try to read for 30 mins without any distraction, a rather daunting task on my part, but I believe that it'll be beneficial to me. I haven't decided on a book yet, but I've got a whole list on Goodreads, so I can simply pick one and get started. Wis +3 Book chosen: Macbeth

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

1 arm pushups? Shrimp squats? 1 arm 1 leg planks? I'm never going to catch up to you to challenge you PvP again. You need to slow down! Haha

Good luck with the challenge.

What books are you trying to decide on?

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Red! So happy to see you, and with some great goals too. Go for it, I'll cheer on you :)

Nuala! I'm always glad to see you! Here's to a good challenge!

1 arm pushups? Shrimp squats? 1 arm 1 leg planks? I'm never going to catch up to you to challenge you PvP again. You need to slow down! Haha

Good luck with the challenge.

What books are you trying to decide on?

I looked at my list and the first one was The Art of War, but I've already read that, so I picked the next one Macbeth! Forsooth! It shall be the book I have chosen! Ha ha ha, The PVP was the Gentleman's kind, that was difficult for both of us!

Woah man, you're way ahead of me fitness-wise, so all I can say is, go you! And good luck!

It's alright, obax, we all start at level 1, besides after a while, I'm certain that you can surpass me with ease!

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

I looked at my list and the first one was The Art of War, but I've already read that, so I picked the next one Macbeth! Forsooth! It shall be the book I have chosen! Ha ha ha, The PVP was the Gentleman's kind, that was difficult for both of us!

Ooh! Shakespeare! I like him.

And we are both horrible examples of Gentlemen... or we are just easily distracted. Wanna go with the latter?

Level 1 Woodwose

Red! What's up man? Great goals buddy! Just like everyone else, the single limb goals are excellent. Go big or go home, right? :)

Love the reading idea, cuz I love to read myself. I have numerous books I could recommend but I'll start with one of my favorites; Hero in the Shadow by David Gemmell. Awesome, awesome read.

Good luck to ya Red, I'm rootin for you to kick @$$!

Wolf

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Ooh! Shakespeare! I like him.

And we are both horrible examples of Gentlemen... or we are just easily distracted. Wanna go with the latter?

Yeah, I'm going to go with the latter, because I'm certain that should the situation arise, both you and I would hold the door open for someone else to pass through :tongue:

Hey Red! Welcome back!

Sick goals with the single-limb pushes, squats! Rock on!

I'm looking forward to follow along. 

Thanks Sea Level! It's good to see you, although my goals aren't as sick as your previous goals!

Red! What's up man? Great goals buddy! Just like everyone else, the single limb goals are excellent. Go big or go home, right? :)

Love the reading idea, cuz I love to read myself. I have numerous books I could recommend but I'll start with one of my favorites; Hero in the Shadow by David Gemmell. Awesome, awesome read.

Good luck to ya Red, I'm rootin for you to kick @$$!

Wolf

Thanks Wolf! I'm going to need all of the rooting I can get! I've always wanted to be a reader, but I always find myself tending to slide away from via Xbox games or simply lack of effort in trying to read a book. But here's to changing this!

Nice!  I took on the shrimp squats last challenge.  Totally doable in six weeks.  Hopefully your balance is better than mine... I ended up facing planting a couple of times. :)

Really? That's definitely reassuring! I'm fairly confident that I'll definitely face-plant like in my avatar!

Very nice. You are no beginner

Thanks Rybo! Although this is really my first attempt at taking on 1-arm/leg exercises ^_^

OK Day #1 (yesterday) had me Reading Macbeth, starting off, it's definitely difficult to understand fully what everyone is saying, but it's interesting none the less! I haven't had a chance to exercise yet, but today, i've done some research on how to do the 1-arm push-up via Beastskills.com and I'm thankful for the different variations and methods on accomplishing this, so hopefully, I'll be able to take some time in trying to get some exercising in in order to build up the strength needed for these goals!

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

Really? That's definitely reassuring! I'm fairly confident that I'll definitely face-plant like in my avatar!

For reals. :)

Pro-tip for the shrimp if you're having trouble doing full ROM without falling over:  Hold a dumbbell in the hand not holding your back leg.  Something light (I use a 10 lb. DB).  Hold it directly out in front of you (arm perpendicular to the floor) as you squat down.  It provides just the right amount of counterbalance to pull you forward a bit on the decent and prevent you from falling over backward.  Lemme know if this doesn't make sense and I'll take a vid or photo tomorrow when I do 'em for demonstration purposes.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Man, I've had the roughest week this week. Running myself ragged from morning to night!

I haven't had a chance to work out, save for on Wed (or was it Tues?) I was able to do a small circuit:

5 1-armed Chair Push-ups - Using a chair, I performed 1 arm pushups on them (it's harder than it looks!)

1 Minute plank - 'nuff said

30 sec break.

I did this for 3 sets

For reals. :)

Pro-tip for the shrimp if you're having trouble doing full ROM without falling over:  Hold a dumbbell in the hand not holding your back leg.  Something light (I use a 10 lb. DB).  Hold it directly out in front of you (arm perpendicular to the floor) as you squat down.  It provides just the right amount of counterbalance to pull you forward a bit on the decent and prevent you from falling over backward.  Lemme know if this doesn't make sense and I'll take a vid or photo tomorrow when I do 'em for demonstration purposes.

I haven't had a chance to do this yet, but I'll definitely keep this in mind when I do! It makes perfect sense, by the way. Here's to No-Faceplant!

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

Heh heh, the hits just keep on coming. My progress so far is somewhat scattered, I'm getting sick (mostly congested and phlegm in the throat), I'm cracking down on my studying so I haven't been able to take too much time off to do anything, due to the fact that my Life-determining exam, is next Thurs. in SF. So my time and energy is focused on that.

So all I've been able to do is 3 circuits of 5 Chair 1-arm pushups (Each arm on the back of a chair) and 1 min planks with a 30 sec break Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. So once I'm able to do these with ease, I'll move lower on the chair, and try lifting 1 arm on the planks.

I still haven't even attempted the Shrimp squats but I'm making progress on Macbeth I'm currently on Scene III, which might not look like much here, but trust me, it's quite a bit for a good start. I've been reading 15 mins almost everyday. But once next week passes, I'll have much more time on my hands to actually focus on my Challenge.

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

Life-determining exam? Like the http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Generalized_Occupational_Aptitude_Test'>G.O.A.T.? Hopefully you don't end up with Laundry Canon Operator. Unless that's what you're shooting for (no pun intended).

Seriously, though, good luck. I've never had to take an exam that would determine anything other than my final mark in a class, and that's nerve-wracking enough...

As for Macbeth, good job! That's my brother's favourite play, and among the top for me (my favourite is Hamlet, but it's crazy long). One day I'd like to read through several Shakespeare plays that I haven't already read (all of which were done in school), but the effort it takes has thus far left me reading lighter fare.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

With such a big exam coming up, it is totally cool to let other things slack some. Just don't burn yourself out studying/cramming for it.

And I tried 1L1A planks last week, I had about 5 seconds of poor form before I started wobbling side by side. When I finished the 30 seconds, I was told that I looked like Spiderman climbing a wall. Those things are tough! (My apologies to anyone that clicked the link)

Level 1 Woodwose

Life-determining exam? Like the G.O.A.T.? Hopefully you don't end up with Laundry Canon Operator. Unless that's what you're shooting for (no pun intended).

Seriously, though, good luck. I've never had to take an exam that would determine anything other than my final mark in a class, and that's nerve-wracking enough...

As for Macbeth, good job! That's my brother's favourite play, and among the top for me (my favourite is Hamlet, but it's crazy long). One day I'd like to read through several Shakespeare plays that I haven't already read (all of which were done in school), but the effort it takes has thus far left me reading lighter fare.

Ha ha ha! Try the Medical Certification Admissions Test or in layman terms The "MCAT" But I might have a change of heart, launching other people's laundry using a canon doesn't sound all that bad. :P

Thank you, it's not exactly normal to set people up against such a beast, but hey, doctors aren't known for their gentle tactics.

Ha ha ha, I have a list of 110+ books that I want to read over the span of my life, and so far I've got 3 down :P Shakespeare is VERY difficult to comprehend, I'm reading this whole guy's 1-page speech only to find out he's been talking to himself for 5 minutes! *facepalm*

With such a big exam coming up, it is totally cool to let other things slack some. Just don't burn yourself out studying/cramming for it.

And I tried 1L1A planks last week, I had about 5 seconds of poor form before I started wobbling side by side. When I finished the 30 seconds, I was told that I looked like Spiderman climbing a wall. Those things are tough! (My apologies to anyone that clicked the link)

Ha ha ha, I'm going to do a PVP with LittleWings on the longest 1L1A plank, I think, but I first need to find out if I can do them at all! I think I'm going to lose to her :P but we'll see, I was never one to back down from a challenge! (thank you for the link, I'm now temporarily Blind >.<)

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

How do you feel you did on the MCAT? It was a couple days ago, right?

I second this question. Or is it one of those things where you crazy-study, then spill it all out on the exam paper, hopefully in the right order, and then wait and wait and wait and wait and wait to find out how it went...?

Also, to leadchipmunk: at first I thought it wasn't that bad, then I realized that wasn't spandex (or if it is, it REALLY tight spandex)...

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

How do you feel you did on the MCAT? It was a couple days ago, right?

I second this question. Or is it one of those things where you crazy-study, then spill it all out on the exam paper, hopefully in the right order, and then wait and wait and wait and wait and wait to find out how it went...?

Also, to leadchipmunk: at first I thought it wasn't that bad, then I realized that wasn't spandex (or if it is, it REALLY tight spandex)...

My MCAT was on Thursday the 24th, I walked in there, knowing I was more prepared than the last time I took it, but when I walked out of there, my head was hanging low and I was full of stress! I was full of doubt and uncertainty, I honestly have no idea how I did. and I won't find out until 30-35 days later. So, Obax, the answer to your question is Yes, you crazy-study, and then they give you something like "Billy has 2 apples, Mary has 3 Oranges. Calculate the circumference of the Sun"

So in terms of my Challenge, now that I'm back home (had to fly out to San Francisco to take the test) I'm going back to my routine with full force! (because I don't have to crazy-study anymore, at least for now! ^_^)

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

FINALLY! I'm back in the game! Man, it feels good to push my body once again! Although the hiatus really took a toll on my body in the sense that my body is getting covered with flabbiness, I'm determined to resume this challenge head-on!

So let us begin!

ABW circuit with modifications:

• 50 Jumping jacks as the Warmup
  • 10 HORRIBLE attempts at Shrimp Pistols, I couldn't get low enough and had a bit of time trying not to fall over
  • 20 Bodyweight Squats
  • 40 Walking Lunges (couldn't do Step-ups because of lack of bench)
  • 2 sets of 5 Pull-ups with 35 sec break
  • 10 Dips
  • 3 sets of 4 Chin-ups with 35 sec break
  • 2 sets of 5 1-armed inclined Pushups (each arm)
  • 1-armed Plank for 30 seconds (only 1 arm, at this point my body was too shaky and exhausted to try the other arm) as seen here: http://www.beastskills.com/wp-content/uploads/manual/image/frontplanknext.jpg
  • Stretching

I was only able to do 1 circuit of this, but I'll get back to 2 circuits soon enough! Now I just need to get back to Macbeth I think someone is going to die in this one *great anticipation*

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

Glad to have you back!

Shrimp squats are deceivingly difficult. :)

Your tip with the DB makes a huge difference.  Not only with balance, but it helps for that little tilt forward you need in the hole to get back up (without releasing your foot behind you, the change in hip angle the release allows makes them much easier).

Don't totally quit doing pistols in favor of shrimps though.  Pistols hit all the muscles of the leg a little better, shrimps are more quad dominant.

For as deceivingly difficult as a standard shrimp is, hold your leg behind you will both hands.  Holy moly are those ever hard.

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

Glad to have you back!

Shrimp squats are deceivingly difficult. :)

Man, you can definitely say that again!

Your tip with the DB makes a huge difference.  Not only with balance, but it helps for that little tilt forward you need in the hole to get back up (without releasing your foot behind you, the change in hip angle the release allows makes them much easier).

Don't totally quit doing pistols in favor of shrimps though.  Pistols hit all the muscles of the leg a little better, shrimps are more quad dominant.

For as deceivingly difficult as a standard shrimp is, hold your leg behind you will both hands.  Holy moly are those ever hard.

I recommend wearing a helmet the first time you try this.

Both hands for The shrimp squats? No thanks, I want to keep my brains inside my skull. I'm crazy and a bit reckless but I definitely know my limits. Oh and Waldo, I'm only attempting Shrimp squats due to the BW list of exercises Nuala posted here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AotE3VGxMb_VdEEwTmlrTmxNdXAzd2d3XzdnXzBVLWc#gid=5, since I was already doing Pistol Squats, I've decided to do the following item on the list for the legs and they where Shrimp squats, after the challenge is done (and I still have legs) I'll probably go back to pistol squats. ^_^

So here's what I did today! ABW circuit with modifications:

• 100 Jumping jacks as the Warmup
  • 10 alright attempts at Shrimp Pistols, I'm getting lower, and somehow haven't kissed the ground yet
  • 20 Bodyweight Squats
  • 40 Walking Lunges (couldn't do Step-ups because of lack of bench)
  • 2 sets of 5 Pull-ups with 35 sec break
  • 10 Dips
  • 2 sets of 5 Chin-ups with 35 sec break
  • 2 sets of 7 1-armed inclined Pushups (each arm)
  • 1-arm 1-leg Plank for 25 seconds (I did the Right-arm Left-leg plank for the time; for the Left-arm Right-leg, I barely got 2 seconds :P) as seen here: plank_5794_16.jpg
  • Stretching

Heh, I wasn't sure whether or not I was going to exercise today, I woke up this morning and felt nothing but the wrath of DOMS, but at the jeering and the threat of being seen as a baby in Emcee's eyes, I did it anyways, irrelevant to the challenge, but I just left like putting this in there. ^_^;; In either case, I'm glad that I did it!

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines