• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hightower7504

New to challenges/yoga but psyched

Hey quick backstory, i've been working out for a while and check in on the forums once in a while but a week or so ago i woke up feeling really stiff and sore so i googled some stretches and found a yoga youtube video i went through it and my i immediately felt great it was like magic. I've been doing it everyday since then and usually feel pretty great afterwards so i thought i'd make it my goal for the challenge since ive been wanting to try one.

Goals:

1. Do a yoga session everyday ( or every other day i havent noticed any soreness yet but it'd be smart to allow some recovery time)

2. Change my diet to full paleo ( im not eating to bad now but could definitely do better)

3. Drop 10 pounds ( it's probably doable during the six weeks assuming i can get my diet sorted out im also doing some jogging weight training already so i think i can manage it)

Life goal: get off to a really solid start in college ( i know a little to vague so i'll break it down to good grades and keeping organized. It's weird timing that the challenge actually starts on my first day :)

So thats about it if anyone has any suggestions/advice/encouragement i'd love to hear it :)

Welcome! This is my first challenge too! It sounds like you've taken to yoga like a duck to water. I highly recommend going to yoga classes (there's probably a yoga studio in your town, or (since it sounds like you're a student) there might even be classes at the gym on campus). I love to do yoga at home, but make sure to go to a class once a week because it forces me to work harder. Classes are also really beneficial because you'll have someone there making sure that you're doing the poses correctly so that you're getting the full benefit and not setting yourself up for any injury. 

Good luck with this challenge, and best of luck with school! What an awesome adventure to be starting out on!

Hi there, good luck with all your goals and college.

It's awesome that you've found yoga so beneficial so quickly!

1. Do a yoga session everyday ( or every other day i havent noticed any soreness yet but it'd be smart to allow some recovery time)

During the times in my life that I practised yoga every day I never found any physical problem with it, you should be fine to practice every day. The great thing about yoga is you can dial it down and do a more gentle routine if you feel like you need to, just listen your body. I agree with Claudzilla about trying to find a class if you can, it's good to check you've got your form right especially as you're new to yoga. Lots of colleges have yoga classes on campus which are really good value, might be worth seeing if yours does.

Hey Hightower, welcome to the Druids! Great goals... I started doing yoga at the gym on my university campus :) Do you have a strategy for accomplishing your goals?

Agree with what others have said about classes! As someone who injured herself doing a pose wrong repeatedly, please please make sure you go to a class at least every now and then, just for corrections. There is probably one on campus! And it's a great way to meet like-minded people.

And oh, how I miss college. What are you studying?

You guys are right and im gonna start looking for a class in my area, i think i remember seeing something at the ymca which would be perfect because it's right next to school ( im getting a degree in liberal arts by the way and i eventually want to be a lawyer)

Today went pretty well all things considered did a yoga session in the morning and had a workout when i got home, kept to my diet pretty well. But your right livingroovy i need a more thought out plan so i think i'll break it down by goal

1.daily yoga- i've been doing it at night but it's probably more practical to do it in the morning, theres a sleep cycle app that helps you wake up really easily and i set a second alarm thats across the room so i dont think i'll have a problem getting up at 6:30 and doing it.

2. Lose 10 pounds- with yoga, working out a few times a week and eating better i dont think i need much more but i am gonna weigh myself every morning just to track my progress just to make sure i stay on track.

3. Paleo- i have some paleo food in my roomso it's readily available and i'm thinking of carrying around a baggy of almonds in my pockets to kill cravings if they pop up, i've never been good at scheduling meals and monitoring exactly what i eat but i am gonna have a few set times a day i make sure i get something just to make sure i never get in a position were i get to hungry, other than that i'm usually just eating whenever i'm hungry as long as it's paleo.

4.college- for now im just setting aside an hour or two a day to do assignments and get organized. I have a study partner to help me out and keep me on track.

Okay action plan set up safety measures to keep me on track anything else i should try ? I'm feeling pretty good so far :)

( p.s. ive been chewing gum all day, i know it's not paleo but is it a big deal? It's sugarfree)

Welcome. Those are some good goals.  It's especially good timing to start as you start school, so you avoid gaining the Freshman Five.  (Or is it up to 15?)

My little sister tore the miniscus (sp) in her knee doing an advanced pose so agree with the cautions above -- other than that, I'm a huge fan of yoga for the mind just as much as the body.

1.daily yoga- i've been doing it at night but it's probably more practical to do it in the morning, theres a sleep cycle app that helps you wake up really easily and i set a second alarm thats across the room so i dont think i'll have a problem getting up at 6:30 and doing it.

Sounds like a good start!

What is this sleep cycle app!?!? I need that!!!

(As for gum...Aspartame is pretty terrible for you, and apparently it can be addictive. I'm not a doctor so I have no professional medical opinion to dispense, but just watch your consumption and keep an eye out for headaches and other brain-related things.)

Sugar free gum is a lifesaver, it puts the taste of something sweet in my mouth and often takes care of that craving, it also gets the tast of the last thing I ate out of my mouth so I stop craving more of whatever I just ate.

(Marisstella, the sleep cycle app is this thing you can get on your phone that sensing how much your moving when you sleep to get an idea of where your at in your cycle so it can wake you up at a peak when your not sleeping very deeply so you wake up easier, it's actually really awesome and totally worth the 1.99 in the app store.)

This was a pretty solid first week, i stumbled a little but over all i've made progress. Im doing yoga everyday, im starting to make progress on my diet (even though i messed up a few times), i've lost a little over a pound, and while im having a little trouble getting organised with school im not really behind ( i finally figured out that evil website !!! )

i'm gonna take the weekend do a little homework and plan for next week

P.s. i learned what namaste means at an intro yoga thing yesterday :)

Namaste!

(Marisstella, the sleep cycle app is this thing you can get on your phone that sensing how much your moving when you sleep to get an idea of where your at in your cycle so it can wake you up at a peak when your not sleeping very deeply so you wake up easier, it's actually really awesome and totally worth the 1.99 in the app store.)

Awesome, thank you! 

Great work on your first week.

Namaste :)

Hey, last week was crazy :) there was a snow storm and i was without power for the last 2-3 days ( i didn't even have heat) it really sucked but it came back on yesterday.

I made a few discoveries though

1. You can totally workout and grab a yoga session in a leather jacket and snow man pajama bottoms

2. You can use the the surge protector(i think thats what its called) on your computer to power a geurge foreman and make something paleo ( usually i'd totally have just eaten chips and vanilla wafers those days)

3. The harder you workout the less cold you feel :)

It wasn't actually to bad i guess but it did slow me down a little i'm solid with my fitness stuff but i'm getting disorganized with my school stuff ( finding out i can stream anime to my phone isn't helping =_= )

But wat ev i'm keeping positive !

Physically awesome !!!

School ... Not so much

Time and stress management are proving difficult :(

Pre-calc is kicking my ass but i'm still pushing, i'm starting with daily extra help sessions they offer in the lab after school just so i don't get to messed up.

Plus side though i was feeling confident since i lost a little weight and started flirting with this girl in spanish, we went out a few days back. It was pretty fun ;)

Welcome to the Druids! (yes, I know 4 weeks into the challenge... I am determined to visit all my fellow druids before the end!)

Congrats on the date! Nothing like a little extra confidence! ;)

About the time and stress management. What exactly are you struggling with? Yoga helps me with stress... and I have tried a lot of different methods for time management... you can google GTD Getting Things Done. And if thats too structured try FlyLady (may be a bit to girly for you... but if you strip it down to basics and get the essence of what she is saying it will change your life, it did for me!).

14 days to go until the challenge ends... lets do this!

Also... if you get a chance join us during the mini-challenge. The Druids need your help!

http://nerdfitnessre...omans-are-here/

Hey, thought i'd update at least one more time before the challenge ended ( im not good at updates and organizational things like that ) ive actually done really well for this challenge :)

1. Do yoga every day- Grade b+

( i really like yoga and im pretty cosistent with it over the course of the challenge i only missed 2 days, im getting alot more flexible and yoga is really relaxing and awesome ! )

2. Go full paleo- Grade b

( im paleo with two exceptions, every morning i down a protein shake, and i still drink apple and orange juice as a compromise for giving up soda i really wanted something tasty to drink )

3. Lose 10 pounds- Grade A+

( i dominated this goal, i actually hit my weight goal a little over a week ago)

4. Get a good start in college- Grade c+

( Im not doing badly exactley but time management and motivation are really giving me trouble, although i think if i work hard i can finish out the semester strong)

Overall im totally glad i did the challenge :) and im gonna keep up with the positive changes ive made.

P.S. FOR THE REBELLION

And

DING ! ( im pretty sure i've leveled)