2ba4h5.jpg

Level 1 Half Ogre Druid

STR: 3

DEX: 1

STA: 2

CON: 2

WIS: 4

CHA: 3

I have decided to award myself "All or Nothing" for additional stat points, but I will be giving myself a letter grade later on as to how well I feel I performed each goal.  Stat increases only if I earn an "A".

Diet Goal #1:  Eat healthier by eating less processed foods, tracking calories daily, staying within 1480 - 1830 calories daily.  I have been eating poorly for the majority of my life.  When I went on Nutrisystem I lost 60 lbs, because I didn't have to think about calories, but I gained it all back.  When I decided to follow the nutritional guides on sparkpeople.com, I similarly lost almost 60 lbs.  Why did I give it up the new lifestyle I had been working on?  I'm not sure.  Stress, feeling like I had no time to prepare meals, eating comfort food, just not caring.  Fast food, because I was tired and lazy.  Working 60 hours or more a week, and constantly having to think about which of my employees was going to call in or quit next, or how I was going to motivate them to actually do their job and not leave it for me.  I recently quit my good paying, but soul-crushing job to turn things around in my life.  This is one of the things I need to do to get back into good habits.  Besides, I can't afford fast food all the time anymore.  It has to go!

+2 Con

A = succeeded 34 or more days, B = 26 - 33 days, C = 18 - 25 days, D = 10 - 24 days, F = 0 - 9 days

Diet Goal #2:  Eliminate pop!  I have been addicted to pop since my stepdad came into my life at age 12 and introduced my family to the idea that people drank pop every day and not just the occasional can once every other week or so.  I am rarely without a 2-litre by my side, and while it is mostly diet pop that I drink, it still isn't healthy.  Besides, I leave empty 2-litre bottles laying around all over the place.  It has to go!

+1 Con, +1 Wis

A = succeeded 34 or more daysB = 26 - 33 daysC = 18 - 25 days, D = 10 - 24 days, F = 0 - 9 days

Exercise Goal:  10 minutes of yoga and Other Exercise 30 minutes three times/week, 30 minutes yoga three times/week.  I do not currently exercise... at all. I am not certain if this is a realistic goal, but I suppose I am going to find out.  I'm not planning on doing anything terribly strenuous to start, because I am truly not in good shape, but I have some exercise tapes and will do what I can.  Maybe I will surprise myself and this won't be as hard as it sounds.  Inactivity... has to go!

+2 Con, +2 Sta, +1 Str, +2 Dex

A = succeeded 30 or more daysB = 29 - 24 days, C = 23 - 18 days, D = 17 - 12 days, F = 0 - 11 days

Life Goal:  Clean, clean, clean.  My house is a mess.  I'm not even slightly kidding.  It is infinitely embarrassing and shameful to me.   I want to clean the entire thing from top to bottom, restore my meditation space, and reclaim my alter space.  This is probably my hardest goal.  I deserve to be on an episode of some reality show where people exclaim "How can she LIVE like that?"  I can't be healthy in mind or body unless my environment is healthy.  I don't know how it got this bad.  It is absolutely overwhelming.  I cry at least four times a week over this mess.  I need to quiet my mind.  I will be posting pictures of before and after cleaning of each room in my house at some point during this challenge.  I hope that my mess might inspire people to clean up theirs... because mine is probably worse.  And if it isn't?  Then you aren't alone.  The mess has to go!

+2 Wis, +1 Cha, +1 Sta

A = 100% CleanB = 75 - 99% Clean, C = 50 - 74% Clean, D = 25 - 49% Clean, F = 0 - 24% Clean

Living Room of ULTIMATE DOOM

livingroom_zps1658c8c5.jpg

What you can't see in the picture is the mess that is behind the bookshelves.

Kitchen of Despair

kitchen_zps0122c8e5.jpg

Note the unused punching bag on the floor.  Why?  I'm not sure how it got there.

Bedroom of Howling Torment

bedroom_zps929b3584.jpg

You can't see the mess to either side of the bed in this picture.  Basically trash just spills down off of the bed and onto the floor, and then outward into the living room and bathroom. 

Bathroom of Insanity

bathroom_zpsd583fdf5.jpg

Most of this trash spilled in from the bedroom.

The Looming Cliffs of Fast Food Mountain

trashmountain_zpsa0e8b9b9.jpg

This is about a year's worth of fast food wrappers in one pile on the right side of my bed.

More pictures are forthcoming, as I clean this mess up.  I'm posting these pictures to hold myself accountable... I don't let people into my house.  I want to admit that I have a problem.  And also because I desperately want to clean it up, and I'm hoping people can help to keep me on track or give me encouragement, because I feel like someone trying to move a mountain.

Level 1 Half-Ogre Druid
STR: 3, DEX: 1, STA: 2, CON: 2, WIS: 4, CHA: 3
“I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, ‘If this isn’t nice, I don’t know what is.’†– Kurt Vonnegut

Your goals sound like major changes - it may be tough but it'll be sooooooo worth it! I know what you mean about a messy house - I tend to let things go and then it's like you wake up and can't believe what's happened! Maybe the way to measure that goal is by cleaning in chunks each day. For example, you could do one task (get all of the recyclables out of the house, pick up every piece of clothing, etc) each day, or commit to an amount of time (with no breaks) or an amount of space (like the desk, the kitchen counters, the dresser) for each day. That way it'll be less overwhelming a task, and you can still make measurable progress. Just an idea. Good luck!

Hi Nazca,

I can understand how too much clutter can drive you crazy.  Don't beat yourself up too much, it happens to a lot of people.  I had to do some serious work on myself to start letting go of stuff.  And... for awhile there I just covered up messy bookshelves and stuff with sheets and put things in boxes.  Now I give stuff away and tell myself that someone else needs it more than I do.

Also, one thing that helped me eliminate soda pop was to eat more veggies.  I figured out that I was using soda to help me feel full.

I was in your place a few years ago - and seriously depressed about it.  I will be a big cheerleader for you during this challenge!  It will help me too.

VioletFlame (Margie), level 4 Wood elf druid
STR 8 | DEX 6 | STA 14.5 | CON 11.25 | WIS 9.75 | CHA 9

2013 Challenge #1  ~ #2  ~ #3 ~ #4 ~ #5

Current Challenge

Hi Nazca, good luck with your goals.

What's you plan for cutting out pop? Are you replacing it with water? Fruit teas might help if you find yourself craving the sweetness.

I'm also on a major decluttering kick this challenge. I've decided (on the advice of flylady) to go with 15-mins of decluttering a day, I've done few already and it's actually amazing how of a difference you can make in such a short amount of time if you concentrate. I'd recommend doing one room or even one small area of a room at a time, because you can see the difference quicker and it's really motivating to see some properly clear space.

Level 0 Pixie

"The cure for anything is salt water - tears, sweat or the sea" - Isak Dinesen

My plan for cutting out pop is the same as I did for smoking a little while ago:  cold turkey.  I will be replacing it with water and plain unsweetened instant tea.  :)

As for de-cluttering... I'm afraid for me it is a bit beyond clutter.  I've posted pictures in the first part of this thread since you made your post... because I wanted to stop pretending like I don't have a serious problem.

I plan on doing things a piece at a time, because I think that is the only way I can do it all and not go insane.

Level 1 Half-Ogre Druid
“I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, ‘If this isn’t nice, I don’t know what is.’†– Kurt Vonnegut

Hey, good for you for posting pictures!  You can do this.  I consider myself a recovering food addict.  Someday you can consider yourself a recovering mess addict.  We all have our stuff.  Some things hide better than others - but we all have stuff going on.  You can make things better tomorrow than they were yesterday.

VioletFlame (Margie), level 4 Wood elf druid
STR 8 | DEX 6 | STA 14.5 | CON 11.25 | WIS 9.75 | CHA 9

2013 Challenge #1  ~ #2  ~ #3 ~ #4 ~ #5

Current Challenge

Day 1:  All pop has been thrown out of the house.

In addition, I have tamed (though not entirely vanquished) Fast Food Mountain.

2cq0hn5.jpg

I found out there was a giant mouse nest underneath there.  I need to unbury the rest of the room before I can properly move things around to vacuum the floor, however, so that part is going to have to wait.  Also... there are too many books on that nightstand, and too much random crap on that book shelf.  I consider it a good start.  It was nine trash bags worth of junk.

Edited to add:

I finished today with no pop, and 1646 calories.  Kept a bottle of unsweetened tea next to me instead of pop, and it seemed to do the trick.  In addition, I did steps for a half an hour today.  Energy level is high and I'm feeling pretty good, but I always feel good first thing out of the gate!

Level 1 Half-Ogre Druid

Good job on your progress so far. If I may make a suggestion on the decluttering goal, don't try to do it  all at once. Clean something specific, like the mountain of fast food wrappers, and keep that clean, then do one more small baby step, and keep those two areas clean, then the third little area, and so on. Celebrate each victory as well, you moved a mountain!

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Welcome to the Druids! Amazing goals and amazing clarity about how your outer environment affects your inner environment, and vice versa. Huge victory to post those photos, and great work with what you've already done. We are here to support you and I am looking forward to your continuing progress!

Race: Gallifreyan

Profession: Druid

Level: 6

Current Challenge:Livingroovy Comes Home

[sTR] - 16.8 // [DEX] - 12.25 // [sTA] - 16 // [CON] - 17.3 // [WIS] - 16.55 // [CHA] - 14.6

Find me on the internets: Facebook // Twitter // Kate Marolt | Play Warrior & Excitement Engineer!

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone.  I'm very happy with how I did on day 1.  Now... a bunch more days to go!  I really truly appreciate the comments, they are like air to me.  :)

Level 1 Half-Ogre Druid

Great goals.

Exercise Goal:  10 minutes of yoga and Other Exercise 30 minutes three times/week, 30 minutes yoga three times/week.  I do not currently exercise... at all. I am not certain if this is a realistic goal, but I suppose I am going to find out.  I'm not planning on doing anything terribly strenuous to start, because I am truly not in good shape, but I have some exercise tapes and will do what I can.  Maybe I will surprise myself and this won't be as hard as it sounds.  Inactivity... has to go!

Doing anything active is a great start so if you live someplace where you can simply go for a walk for 30 mins or so, you will do yorself a great service.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Level 2 Human Druid

STR 6 | DEX 4 | STA 3 | CON 4 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.â€â€• Joseph Campbell

Great Job with day 1.  I love how you are posting photos (I am sure that wasn't the easiest thing to do).  They really make me feel like I am experiencing the despair of what needs to get done and the victories as they get accomplished.  Cannot wait to get more updates!

Yesterday is gone...FOCUS ON TODAY!...Let God worry about tomorrow.

I love how you are posting photos (I am sure that wasn't the easiest thing to do).  They really make me feel like I am experiencing the despair of what needs to get done and the victories as they get accomplished. 

It wasn't easy at all.  It was absolutely terrifying.  I'm absolutely embarrassed by the pictures, but for some reason I felt like it needed to be done.  Like I needed to share it with someone since I have been hiding it for so long.  I'm nor exactly sure why.  I think maybe I just wanted someone to understand what I'm going through with the mess.

Ah well!

Today will be the first test of my no pop and stay-within-the-calories goals!  I'm heading off this afternoon to my local gaming store for a bunch of Malifaux playing.  I'll be eating out of the house at least once, and around a lot of people with pop!  I can do this!!!

Level 1 Half-Ogre Druid

Wow! Your goals are fantastic, and good on you for posting those pictures! That was very courageous. (As a word of encouragement: I have seen worse, and I have seen that worse get completely overhauled. There were literally WEASELS living secretly in the worse that I speak of. But no more! It can absolutely be done, and I am sure you will do it!)

And your day 1 progress is awesome. It's only going to get better from here. I'm excited to see your progress pictures!

Level 2 Half-elf Druid

STR: 3 | DEX: 6.5 | STA: 1 | CON: 6.5 | WIS: 4.5 | CHA: 3

If you do not change where you are headed, you will end up where you are going.

Day #2:

Cleared a small path in the living room, planning on hitting up some junk to my side of the bed before sleep.  31 minutes of exercise, no pop today, and stayed within my caloric range.  Yay!  I'll call day 2 a success, though I wish I had more healthful foods with lower sodium.  Being as it was a day that I spent out of the house at the gaming store, staying within the caloric range was still a win.

:)

Level 1 Half-Ogre Druid

Great goals and well done on your cleaning so far!  My place was in a similar state a few years ago but I spent a few weeks sorting it, like you are.  It's hard work but I keep on top of it now, although I have to be really strict with myself!  So it can be done - just don't let it intimidate you too much!  

Vickyloo
Wood elf / Druid
STR: 5 DEX: 4 STA: 6.5 CON: 6.25 WIS: 9.5 CHA: 6
"Each morning we are born again.  What we do today is what matters most" Buddha
Vickyloo: Getting Back in the Game

Day 3 Update:  No pop, not even the temptation.  I decided to take today as my exercise-free day, because yesterday's workout really hurt my knees and thighs.  Ended up about 30 calories below my caloric range, but I am calling that close enough.  On the cleaning front, I cleaned the left side of my bed, making the front side of my bed the last bastion of messy bedroom!  This is where all the clothes are.  Maybe I'll find some more stuff to wear.

Level 1 Half-Ogre Druid

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines