The Start of my Journey

StevenMcD

Wow, I'm a seasoned forum user and I've been struggling to write this for almost 20min. So here goes!

I'm a web developer for a company in Johannesburg, South Africa. I play Baseball in a local Sunday league team and that's about it. I've decided to focus on personal health goals for this year (not resolutions). These are my current "stats":

Height: 182cm (6 foot if my calculations are correct)

Weight: 110kg (242 Pounds)

Waist: 119cm (46.8 inches)

Pants Size: 40 

Goal 1 - Run 5km:

I am using the RunKeeper 0-5km training plan so that's running 2-3 times per week

Goal 2 - Do 20 consecutive push-ups:

I am using the 100 push-up app and plan to track and do this. I can currently do 2 pushups (Sun, Tues, Wed)

Goal 3 - Do 5 consecutive pull-ups:

I can currently do none. Not a single freaking one  :( I will be following the 20 pull-up plan (Mon, Wed, Fri)

Goal 3 - Do 50 consecutive sit-ups:

I will be following the 200 sit-up program on days where I am not doing push-ups. I would like to get to 50 consecutive sit-ups.

Goal 4 - Read "Convict Conditioning" by Paul Wade

Actually seeing what I have written now makes me ashamed of myself, truly and deeply. I have no idea how to assign any stats to these goals so any help there would be appreciated. Feeling a bit like Po in Kung Fu Panda right now

Level 1 | STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 4 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

You have really good end goals. But since NF is all about gradual change, I think you might want to start small at first. For example, for the first week just try to do an assisted pull-up and go from there.

Don't force yourself to do anything too big too fast. Slow and steady wins the race here. :D

"As irrigators guide water to their fields, as archers aim arrows, as carpenters carve wood, the wise shape their lives." - Buddha

Welcome, fellow Saffer! And now there were 3 :)

Looking forward to seeing you rock this!

Sent with awesomeness from my iPad using Tapatalk

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Why thank you! Who is the other South African?

Kuiken - she's technically an American in SA, living with her hubby in JHB, so she's a Saffer :) she's away at the moment but will most likely be a ranger when she's back. I'm still the only one in CPT, but that's ok with me :)

"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright

My challenge

I'm a saffer too (I work with Steven), looking forward to this... although reading his intro post, it seems I may need to add in some detail to mine

Level: 3 (EQ) - Race: Wood Elf - Class: Assassin Epic Quest: Rathlan

Current Challenge: Rathlan revisits old disciplines

Previous Challenges: Gaining Control Part 1 - Finding the future in the pastPart 2 - Preparing for Superhero statusRathlan Lays FoundationsRathlan learns to love mornings Rathlan refocuses on focus Rathlan brings it together

(Old system: Level 3 - Stats: STR 9 | DEX 7 | CON 6 | STA 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 4)

Yay, more staffers!! I was so alone for so long :)

Good luck gents! I will sub your thread in a sec Rath.

My challenge

Just got back from a local shop that did a run analysis for me so that they could recommend the correct running shoe, I even got to try them out in store on a treadmill. Really excited about giving them a go tomorrow morning!

Yay! I bought a pair of Nike Flex just before Christmas and they're amazing

My challenge

WOOO!  Saffer's unite!  AND another Ranger!

Awesome that you've got new shoes-let us know how the first run in them goes!

For pull-ups, Steve wrote an article (http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/04/25/do-a-pull-up/) that helped me get to my first pull up last year.  Patience is the only main advice I can offer-it will happen!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gallifreyan Jackal Ranger

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 3 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Introduction

CURRENT CHALLENGE!
(seriously updated, for reals guys)

Hello Mr. McD! Welcome to the Assassins!

I would agree with the wolflord above, that the 0 to 5 pull-ups and 2 to 20 push-ups may (may) be a little optimistic. I did pull-ups for a challenge a while back, trying to increase from 7 to 10, and I accomplished it, but just barely. Pull-ups are added little by little, I find. Just a thought.

There are 15 points available for distribution across Strength, Stamina, Constitution, Charisma, Wisdom. For your goals, maybe you could do this:

Goal 1. +2STA +1CHA +1WIS (stamina, but charisma and personal wisdom for completing a 5k)

Goal 2. +2STR +2STA (strength and stamina)

Goal 3. +3STR +2STA (more strength and stamina)

Goal 4. +2WIS 

Good luck with the challenge!

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Current Challenge: Sea Level I : Respawn
Pro Aris et Focis

"To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying, The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying."

Thank you so much for the feedback and help :)

I will think about this on the way home (I have a long drive) and will try find a suitable adjustment to the goal or a whole new goal. Not sure if I'll be able to do both push-ups and pull-ups at the same time. I am pretty sore after my push-ups from this morning.

Thank you for the help on the stats as well :) Will update my post after my daughter goes to bed tonight!

WOOO!  Saffer's unite!  AND another Ranger!

Awesome that you've got new shoes-let us know how the first run in them goes!

For pull-ups, Steve wrote an article (http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/04/25/do-a-pull-up/) that helped me get to my first pull up last year.  Patience is the only main advice I can offer-it will happen!

Thanks Kuiken! Will read it tonight

Oh, and I love baseball too.  :peaceful:

I had no idea there was even a South African league until about 3 years ago! I play First Base and Lead-off Batter for our local team now. Best 8 months of the year :)

Second push-up session complete. I am a wreck but 16 pushups in total tonight (reps 3-4-2-3-4). I really struggled on the final push-up of the 5th rep, I was down and just had to push-up but my arms and body started shaking like crazy. I managed to get up though, but I don't know how I'm going to do 22 push-ups on Thursday evening.

Now off to bed and tomorrow morning I finally get to try out my new running shoes then take my daughter to preschool for the first time.

Also thinking I should possibly do these push-ups in the morning and not the evening, not even slightly sleepy now :-/

Oh so cute! Preschool. You are going to be such a proud daddy!

Also which shoes did you finally settle on?

My challenge

She is so excited about Preschool!

I actually went to have my running action analyzed by Mike at http://www.sbrsport.co.za He was amazing and after fitting a few pairs of shoes and getting back on the treadmill we settled on the Brookes Ravenna 3's (http://www.brooksrunning.com/Ravenna-3/1101131D835.070,default,pd.html)

I've always had really bad knees which stopped me from running since it always hurt way too much. These shoes fixed so much on the analysis video, was really interesting to watch and he did the analysis for free which is a bonus. Luckily it's my birthday next week so the family are buying me anything, they're all donating to my "running shoe fund" since these were damn expensive. Most expensive clothing item I have ever owned.

She is so excited about Preschool!

I actually went to have my running action analyzed by Mike at http://www.sbrsport.co.za He was amazing and after fitting a few pairs of shoes and getting back on the treadmill we settled on the Brookes Ravenna 3's (http://www.brooksrunning.com/Ravenna-3/1101131D835.070,default,pd.html)

I've always had really bad knees which stopped me from running since it always hurt way too much. These shoes fixed so much on the analysis video, was really interesting to watch and he did the analysis for free which is a bonus. Luckily it's my birthday next week so the family are buying me anything, they're all donating to my "running shoe fund" since these were damn expensive. Most expensive clothing item I have ever owned.

Awww-she probably feels so grown up now!  So cute!

I think my running shoes are the most expensive item of clothing I own too (which says a lot coming from a woman), but they are totally worth it!  You can't put a price on being able to enjoy a run without suffering from knee/ankle/foot/shin/whatever pain!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gallifreyan Jackal Ranger

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 3 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Introduction

CURRENT CHALLENGE!
(seriously updated, for reals guys)

Well well well, these shoes are amazing. Not a single second of knee pain and both my calves are stiff and tired but not in agony like last week.

WIN \o/

http://runkeeper.com/user/StevenMcDonald/activity/140741606?&tripIdBase36=2bskx2#cZ35mvGuqyuGTMu2VTnUTq7i

With the final rep of running I was too tired so I just walked it. Was awesome though

Nice going!  Sounds like I should pay them a visit too... right now I'm in cheap shoes, but I'd still rather run barefoot. 

Level: 3 (EQ) - Race: Wood Elf - Class: Assassin Epic Quest: Rathlan

Current Challenge: Rathlan revisits old disciplines

Previous Challenges: Gaining Control Part 1 - Finding the future in the pastPart 2 - Preparing for Superhero statusRathlan Lays FoundationsRathlan learns to love mornings Rathlan refocuses on focus Rathlan brings it together

(Old system: Level 3 - Stats: STR 9 | DEX 7 | CON 6 | STA 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 4)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines