• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

VioletFlame

VioletFlame's 2013 Level Up - Challenge #1

Week 3 Monday check in: (posted on Tuesday)

Previous week's report: (week 2)
green-checkmark-icon.png Goal 1 (cardio): 215 minutes, - did 230 -  goal accomplished

green-checkmark-icon.png Goal 2 (strength): 30 min total, - did 20, goal not quite accomplished, but I am sure I can catch up next week

Knob%20Attention.png Goal 3 (eating plan): I would give myself a D grade this past week.  This goal may go up and down every week.

green-checkmark-icon.png Goal 4 (dissertation): excellent work on this goal this week.  I am right on schedule this week.

Week 3 Goals
Goal 1 (cardio): 225 minutes = 3 hrs 45 min
Goal 2 (strength): 40 min total (make up time from last week)
Goal 3 (eating plan): Follow eating plan for 80% of meals
Goal 4 (dissertation): Write 6 pages

This week's plan:
Mon - dissertation day, 30 min cardio, rest day from weights, eating at home
Tues - 30-60 min cardio, strength workout, eat at home
Wed - work at college day, fit in 15 min cardio, let 1 or 2 meals slide today
Thur - dissertation day, 30 min cardio, strength workout, eating at home
Fri - day off, have some fun, 30 min cardio
Sat - dissertation day, 60 min cardio, strength workout, eating at home
Sun - dissertation day, 60 min cardio, strength workout (backup if missed Sat), eating at home

Things I'm looking forward to this week:

My work load is slowing down, that will be nice.

I am already starting to feel some of my muscles tightening up. 

I enjoy doing some zumba dancing in the evenings at home.  I might try to make it to the gym this week.

I switched to 42goals for my tracking now.  I can set up all different kinds of categories to keep track of minutes or meals or whatever I want.   This is my third tracking system, I hope this one works out for me.

That looks like you're doing awesome! It's awesome that you keep a schedule of what you're planning on doing each day. I find that really helps me but I've fallen out of the habit. I'll have to do one for later, thanks for reminding me!

You are doing great! 

Reading your goals, I think its a smart choice to start slowly and build up from there with the exercise. 

Love your green tick buttons in your reports. They really highlight how well you are doing. 

Oh my, it's Friday already, where has the week gone?  Thanks Chanda and Scuddle for the replies.  Chanda, I have to add visuals for myself.  I don't know why, but the pictures are more motivating.  Which reminds me of another motivational technique.  I buy teacher stickers from the dollar store - little stickers that say 'good job' 'A+", etc.  then I put up a calendar somewhere and start giving myself stickers when I do something good - or don't do something bad.  I think i might have to try that with my eating plan, I need a new strategy there.

Midweek update (sort of - but I see it as having 3 days left in the week right now, so that's close to half-way)

Cardio - doing well, have 155 minutes for the week so far.  Need 70 minutes more over 3 days - piece of cake.

Strength - have 15 minutes, I can do a workout at home this weekend.  Still not feeling the urge to go to the gym.

Eating plan - still having too much sugar.  Still buying too much sugar - that is the main problem.  Ok, let's see if I can start finding other rewards.

Dissertation - slow start this week, I have been doing more work.  I can get caught up over the weekend.  And I'll take some exercise breaks to accomplish my other goals.

Good-Job.jpg

It's so wise what you're doing with the notes.

As for rewards-I use things like a hot bath, nice book/film, going to bed early....

Good job!!

It's so wise what you're doing with the notes.

As for rewards-I use things like a hot bath, nice book/film, going to bed early....

Good job!!

Thanks for the non-food reward ideas.  I do like going outside and sitting in our hot tub.  Chewing gum also helps when I'm feeling a bit stressed. 

Drinking ginger tea with apple-cider vinegar sounds disgusting, but it's a great way to curb sugar cravings.

I know I have other ideas, I just have to remember them.

Beginning of Week 4 check in:

Previous week's report: (week 3)
green-checkmark-icon.png Goal 1 (cardio): 225 minutes, - did 290 -  more than an hour over, goal accomplished A+

green-checkmark-icon.png Goal 2 (strength): 40 min total, - did 40, goal accomplished

Knob%20Attention.png Goal 3 (eating plan): I would give myself a C- grade this past week.  But... I definitely ended the week in a better place than the first half of the week.

green-checkmark-icon.png Goal 4 (dissertation): excellent work on this goal this week again..  I am actually three pages ahead of my total goal at the end of this week.

Week 4 Goals

Goal 1 (cardio): 240 minutes = 4 hrs

Goal 2 (strength): 40 min total

Goal 3 (eating plan): Follow eating plan for 80% of meals

Goal 4 (dissertation): Write 6 pages plus submit the next draft of my proposal on Monday.

This week's plan:

Mon - dissertation day, 30 min cardio, rest day from weights, eating at home

Wed - work at college day, fit in 15 min cardio, let 1 or 2 meals slide today

Thur - dissertation day, 30 min cardio, strength workout, eating at home

Sun - dissertation day, 60 min cardio, strength workout (backup if missed Sat), eating at home

My work load continues to slow down, more time for my dissertation.

I have some techniques that are working for my cardio and strength training at home. 

The weather is getting nicer, the sunshine helps my mood, and maybe my eating habits as well.

The 42goals website is working great for my tracking.  I enjoy entering my minutes 2 or 3 times a day.  It's easy, and I can see my progress every day. 

I think I will have some more time to connect this week with family and friends.

This looks great! What are you going to change to reach the 80% meal plan stuff?

I know how hard that is. It is where I struggle, too!

I am pretty sure you will make this goal green this week!

Have fun with friends and family!

Nice! You are doing great!!!

I second Dwarfthrower's question... How will you up your game on the "eating plan" goal?

More time for friends and family... Fantastic!

I am doing much better on my eating plan this week.  What is working for me is to keep the crappy food out of the house.  this means better planning on my part when I go to the grocery store - don't shop when I'm hungry or stressed.

The other thing that helps me is having healthy foods that are easy to prepare.  A big pot of veggie soup works for a few days, we have been making big salads for dinner so I can have the leftovers for lunch. 

I have a box of arugula/spinach greens that can be added to my soup, salad, or whatever I'm eating. 

Planning my meals for the entire day in the morning is also a good strategy for me. 

I am going grocery shopping tomorrow night.  I am going to see if I can find a good soup recipe for the challenge.

And my challenge for tomorrow is to eat something around 5 pm - no matter what I am doing at work.  I have the food in my car, but then I start thinking that I'll be leaving work soon, so I don't bother... then I end up working 2 more hours and stopping at the grocery store feeling stressed and very hungry.  Not good.

I have a meeting at 3 pm, so after that I will go to my car and get my dinner food from the car.  If the weather is nice I can even turn it into a walking activity.

VF, great progress!! You are doing exactly what I would do if this were my challenge.... focus on the goal that needs some help! I love your organization and clarity. Making huge amounts of food at once is so helpful... leftovers are the best for convenience!

Ok, third time is a charm.  I know I can edit my posts, but this seems easier at the moment.

post-12111-0-07311400-1359521535_thumb.p

Those tiny little green checks at the bottom are the healthy meals. Three per day - 100%

My week 4 mid-week update. 

Wow, almost to the end of week 4, this challenge is flying by.

I am happy to report that I got my act together and got back on my eating plan.  I was at 100% through Thursday afternoon, took a slight detour with some fresh bread - but I'm back on track and it's ok because my goal is 80%.  I have my meals figured out for the rest of the weekend, and I don't see any problems with continuing towards a A for the week.

I am also ahead of schedule for cardio goal, on track for the strength goal, but behind on my writing goal.  Today is my day off, but I think I'll do some writing this evening.  I should be able to catch up this weekend, but I think I need a motivational pep-talk.

I have a weekly phone call with my best friend on Fridays, I think talking with her will help.

So tell me Margie... how did the writing go over the weekend? ;)

Keep up the great work!

This week you should be too busy avoiding the Romans to get any writing done! :)

Beginning of Week 5 check in:

Previous week's report: (week 4)
green-checkmark-icon.png Goal 1 (cardio): 240 minutes, - did 255 -  goal accomplished A

MKM-Yellow-Check-Mark.pngGoal 2 (strength): 40 min total, - did 25, goal not quite accomplished, but I am still on track for my overall challenge numbers
green-checkmark-icon.pngGoal 3 (eating plan): 17 meals on track (out of 21) - did 15 of the 17.  I am giving myself a green check because I did so much better this week than last week.
Knob%20Attention.pngGoal 4 (dissertation): I did mostly reading this week, very little writing.  Still working on the next draft of my proposal.  This goal will be my major focus for week 5.

Week 5 Goals
Goal 1 (cardio): 255 minutes = 4 hrs, 15 min
Goal 2 (strength): 40 min total
Goal 3 (eating plan): Follow eating plan for 80% of meals (17 out of 21)
Goal 4 (dissertation): Write 6 pages plus submit the next draft of my proposal on Monday.

This week's plan:
Mon - dissertation day, 30-45 min cardio, eating at home (make soup)
Wed - work at college day, fit in 15 min cardio,
Thur - dissertation day, 30-45 min cardio, strength workout, eating at home

The new challenge will get me logging miles, that should be fun.  Also I will up my game a bit with daily sun salutations or burpees.

In my book, burpees can technically count as strength workouts if you do enough of them. Time yourself when you do them this week.... That should help with Goal 2. :)

This is what your weekly plan should look like:

Mon: avoid the Romans

Tue: avoid the Romans

Wed: avoid the Romans

Thu: avoid the Romans

Fri: avoid the Romans

Sat: avoid the Romans

Sun: avoid the Romans

Ha ha ha ha

I actually do have a daily meditation practice, so that will help us.  I might up it to a night time meditation as well.

Silly Romans should be running from us.

287df25b0d76414aec3e44e42a94b5ba.image.2

Week 5 update (Friday morning)

I have been waylaid this week with a cold or flu.  Not bad enough to stop everything, but I pretty much slept for 2 days straight.  I was able to get outside to walk the dogs, and my meditation practice was not interrupted.  So I was able to contribute to our challenge.  :rolleyes-new:  And I did make soup on Monday, so my eating plan has pretty much been on track with the soup and not eating very much.

So I guess I'm not as bad as I think I am, as long as I can catch up today and this weekend.  Overall I am pretty happy with what I've done during this challenge.  I have some very good habits in place for the next 6 week challenge.  Onward ho... now let's get some writing done today.  And some sun salutations.

"Not as bad as you think", No I would definitely say that. I think that keeping on track even while ill and getting back on track asap instead of saying "Oh well I can't do this or that and I'll just give in on the other goals as well" is a great accomplishment!!!

So you have also started thinking of the next challenge, I have too - and planning for the time inbetween  :nightmare:  :nevreness: