I was laying in bed, awake, the other night, completely hopped up on too much coffee (and not able to sleep anyway because my sleeping pattern is all over the board due to vacation) when I had an idea for getting myself healthy again.  I became so excited about this idea that I couldn't sleep for another hour while I processed everything through my head.

The next day, I wrote about it in my journal and my idea sounded ridiculous, so I pitched it to my husband and the response I got was not inspiring.  It was something like "hrms?" - granted, he was playing wolfpack on ACIII, and he really likes that focus bonus...  Either way, I was not encouraged to bring this into the light of day.  So, I did what just about any female does... I took my idea to a friend instead- some of you know here around here as PrincessHeather.  She was highly encouraging and didn't even think I was being that weird.  Which, in and of itself, might be odd.  Anyway, I decided to suck it up and make my journey public because *HOPEFULLY* it will keep me accountable. And hopefully I won't crap out, and hopefully I can do this.  Do you love how I'm saying "hopefully" as if my decisions and actions have nothing to do with it?  Ugh, back to Responsibility 101. 

Here goes my fitness plan for the forseeable future:

I'm going to follow the Rules of the Rebellion.

Doesn't seem exceptionally earth shattering does it?  But, here is where it gets a little crazy... and by crazy, I mean I'm psyched!.  By following the Rules of the Rebellion, I'm going to be putting myself through each and every rule as a personal six week challenge (inspired by NF Official 6 week challenges, which I've done in the past).  Each rule gets a devoted 6 weeks +1 rest week.  I will be taking 6 weeks to meditate on each and every rule in regard to my fitness and to all areas of my life.  I plan on getting stronger, physically, mentally and emotionally and taking some actual steps to smack down some life goals.  For those of you doing the math: there are 11 rules, technically 7 weeks apiece = 77 weeks = a year and a half.  77 weeks dedicated to being INTENTIONAL from the ground up in order to make myself healthy and to make my life a life worth being healthy for.

Now, I haven't got all the kinks worked out just yet... like rule #5: We understand that fat is not the enemy.  How is that a life goal?  I'm not sure - I'm hoping to have a Yoda moment when I get that far.  But I do think this is possible.  And I do think this is worth doing and so I'm going to try my darndest to take care of business and accomplish some big things in my life in the next year and a half.

Why now?  I'm ready.  Mufasa came out of the clouds and said "It is time."

Last year, I jumped into the healthy pool and swam around for a little while, and then got out and sun tanned and forgot what it was like in the the healthy pool.  Over Christmas, I saw my stomach return flabby again, and I have been noticing my migraines returning since my diet turned crummy (I'm one of those people where light and sound hurts my head and I usually puke and have to sleep for a couple hours to get rid of the pain).  Also, my husband would like kids sometime in the next couple years - I would like to be healthy before that happens (Ladies, could you imagine migraines and morning sickness?  With my luck, it would totally happen.).  I want to grow a healthy kid, and have that healthy kid lead a healthy life.  Habits for that lifestyle need to be established now.  As a teacher, I see way too many kiddos come to school who are lethargic and can't think straight and who have weird behavior impulses.  Moms and dads give the kids suggary snacks and Starbucks(not kidding) to counter the lethargy and then get angry when their child gets in trouble for bouncing off the walls in class.  I cannot be that parent.  So yeah, now is the time.  It feels right.

Time to get to work.

"Truth is eternal, knowledge is changeable - it is disastrous to confuse the two." -Madeleine L'Engle

Rule #1: We don't care where you came from, only where you're going.

Sa-weet, because I don't necessarily like where I came from either regarding my life and my fitness.  I'm ready to move forward because the past is... in the past.  It doesn't matter.  Thank you, Rafiki.

More importantly than not dwelling on the past though is the "where you're going" part.  This is a great place to start because, it gives me an opportunity to ask myself, "where are you going?"  If life really had a magical green line that could point to where your life is headed, like in that financial commercial on TV, where would mine end up and do I like where it ends up?  Maybe not so much from right here, right now.  Can I probably change that?  You betcha.  YAY!

In order to change where I'm going, this next six weeks is all about setting goals and figuring out where I want to be when all is said and done.  Goals to conquer in the next six weeks, goals for the next year and a half, and life quests that I would like to achieve before I go to meet my Maker.  I'm thinking that six weeks will give me enough time to really meditate and what I want out of at least the next year and a half - as well as some life goals, and plan some ACTIONABLE steps to get there.  In the past, I've had a difficult time with the actionable steps portion of my goals.  I know what I want to do, but sometimes, I have NO STINKING clue how to get there.  This is where I'd be humbled to have some help:

If anyone here has been in a similar situtation or my goals resonate with you or even if you're just an idea guy or gal, please drop in a line and let me know what has worked for you.  How have you achieved these goals?  What baby steps did you take?  This applies to Life Quests, or any of my 6 week goals.

Where are you Going?- Goals for the next six weeks:

- Get out of financial stress.

- Save $20 a week from tutoring $ and use it to pay down credit cards.

- When cards are paid in full, use the $20 a week to put on monthly student loan payments.  Ugh.

- Find a cheaper place to live when lease is up in February.

- Use extra money to pay down student loan OR put into savings for down payment on a house.

* Right now, our debt to income ratio is too high to buy a house and that has already been a huge blow to us recently. We have to pay down my husband's student loans and make more money!

- Eat Right

- Buy and store proteins once per month, get fresh (seasonal) fruits and veggies from Sprouts or a farmer's market once per week.

- Plan meals for week to make sure everything gets used and not wasted.

- Write down easy meals for hubs to make on nights when I get home late.

- Avoid canned or boxed foods as much as possible.

- Take daily vitamin.

- Keep vitamin's on bathroom counter so they are there when I wake up in the morning?

- Drink at least 3 bottles of water or unsweetened homebrewed tea per day.

- Keep bottles of water at work and in the car so that I always have water available.

- Log all foods into Myfitnesspal app to identify strengths and weaknesses in my diet.

- Work Hard

- Body weight routines 3x a week

- Basic body weight routine - adding rounds for added difficulty as weeks progress.

- Additional day of SOMETHING active every week (walking, hiking, swimming...etc).

- All workouts logged into Endomondo to see pace records, track weight, etc.

All of these goals I actually started on Monday, December 31st, 2012... So, I've technically made it through my first week.  And am looking forward to my second week.  Later, I'll post my Life Quests and maybe you guys can give me some feedback on how to get there!

"Truth is eternal, knowledge is changeable - it is disastrous to confuse the two." -Madeleine L'Engle

Life Goals and Epic Quests

In no particular order.

1. Buy a house.

2. Have some brats - raise them right.

3. Hike to Machu Picchu - bonus points for not barfing on the way up.

4. Walk the Great Wall.

5. Swim in the Great Barrier Reef.

6. Learn Italian.

7. See the Coloseum - look for Assassin passages.

8. Eat real sushi in Japan and visit Momofuku Ando's burial place.

9. Read 100 greatest books of British and American Literature.

10.  Own a pair of Jimmy Choos - wear them.

11. See a real glacier and the Aurora Borealis - pretend to water bend.

12. Get face fixed - can you say "orthonathic surgery?"

13. Grow a magnificent vegetable/fruit/herb garden - don't go to the store for fruits or vegatables for a year.

14. Catch a baseball game at every baseball park in the states - bonus points for catching a fly ball.

15. Explore the Taj Mahal - exclaim to anyone who will listen that it belongs in a museum.

Kimba, my Kimba! 

I am so freaking STOKED to see that you posted this epic-ness for all to see. I am majorly proud of you taking this on, and I honestly think its a brilliant idea. truly.

First, I will gladly accompany you to Machu Pichu, the coliseum and the Taj Mahal, as well as the ball parks... and if it's within the cosmic plan, you will have the opportunity to have that sushi with a friend :)

Love love love all the goals, and actually already have a suggestion for you. I was going to suggest what I do now for produce, which is Bountiful Baskets. BUT its not available in California.... so google helped me discover this: http://www.goldensharefoods.com/index.php?option=com_sobi2&catid=6&Itemid=62 

It's actually a MUCH better program than what I do (they sell meat!), which now makes me even more wistful for California... anyway, essentially, you purchase packages of food in advance and then pickup from a local host site (there is one in your town!). They get things straight from the growers/producers in most cases, and in large quantities, so individual families save pretty big compared to buying in stores. All they ask is that you volunteer to help with the distribution. I don't know if that works for your schedule, but its worth looking into, especially if you can use any savings towards your financial goals!

First, I will gladly accompany you to Machu Pichu, the coliseum and the Taj Mahal, as well as the ball parks... and if it's within the cosmic plan, you will have the opportunity to have that sushi with a friend :)

Love love love all the goals, and actually already have a suggestion for you. I was going to suggest what I do now for produce, which is Bountiful Baskets. BUT its not available in California.... so google helped me discover this: http://www.goldensharefoods.com/index.php?option=com_sobi2&catid=6&Itemid=62 

You're on with traveling the world. It honestly took you saying that for things to start clicking in my brain because of the association but, why can't any of these things be done like we did DW?  Planned 2+ freaking years in advance and then saved up for in the mean time.  Because that's what is the big problem on my end - the $.  BUT, could I get the basics going and have the rest of the money saved in 2 or 3 years?  Yes.  Could you?

Having said that, I will wait to find out if your lovely self will be living in Japan in a few months time.  If you are, that might be the cheapest one to go for first! :)

And the goldensharefoods thing... is brilliant, and I'm sure you gave to to me for fruits and veggies, but now I just want to order tasty meats.  Oh no!

Week 1 Review on Goals

Since I was sick of typing yesterday.

Get out of financial stress

- $20 SAVED, will put on credit card at end of month when more substancial amount can be deposited

- Have not found a cheaper place to live yet, but I have been cruising craigslist.org to see which places would be good for us when the time comes.

Eat Right

- Proteins bought last week, lots of chicken breasts in the weeks to come.

- Did not plan out meals for Hubs to make as this idea was not in place yet.

- Taking daily vitamins - they came in the mail on Saturday, but I'm 3 and 0 so far for taking them.

- Did NOT drink @ least 3 bottles of water or unsweetened tea per day.

- Logged all foods into Myfitnesspal app and this last week, my kryptonite was peanut brittle.  Hubs had a two lb box from his parents for Christmas...but now its gone.

Work Hard

- Finished body weight routines M/W/F (aka 3x week 1)

- Achieved additional day of something active by walking 3.65 miles to starbucks for a venti unsweetened green tea.

- All logged into Endomondo.

I'm going to say that Week 1 went pretty well.  I failed in some things (drinking water - does anyone else have a tiny bladder?  How do you drink all the water you're supposed to?) but I'm glad I jumped back in the pool - the water is fine.  And I'm ready to tackle week 2.  Heck, even my Hubs told me last night that he's EXCITED to work out tonight... Now, only if he was so excited to eat kale...

Today, I will take a "Before" picture of myself and figure out where to put it up so that I have a frame of reference.  AND I will give the Hubs easy instructions to make the meal tonight since I'm working late.

Good luck to all those starting a 6 week challenge today!  Go get it!

It couldn't hurt to try the golden share thing, I clicked around and the basic package is pretty reasonable IMO, and if you don't like it, you can just go back to buying in the store, there's no membership or anything.

Yes, we should know about Japan hopefully by the end of the month, so if we are lucky enough to be selected, there will be a couch in Tokyo with your name on it!

I hear ya on the tiny thing, I drink a ton of water, and coffee or tea most days, but I have a job where no one cares if I have a potty break every hour or more. I get heachaches when I'm dehydrated, and I such at the gym, so its worth it to me. I bet it would be harder to excuse yourself from teaching the kiddos though. (Sidenote: unsweetened passion tea is yummy at starbucks)

Do you ever premake meals and freeze them? I have made extra batches of lasagna or chili or soups and froze them for later use without too much extra effort, and have a few days worth of meals ready to go for each month. Just defrost and reheat. It works wonders during grad school :)

It couldn't hurt to try the golden share thing, I clicked around and the basic package is pretty reasonable IMO, and if you don't like it, you can just go back to buying in the store, there's no membership or anything.

Do you ever premake meals and freeze them? I have made extra batches of lasagna or chili or soups and froze them for later use without too much extra effort, and have a few days worth of meals ready to go for each month. Just defrost and reheat. It works wonders during grad school :)

So, the more I think about the Goldenshare thing, I like the idea, but after doing some more research, I don't like what they put into the baskets necessarily.  They get some good basics, but I do not need iceburg lettuce and a 5 lb bag of russet potatoes?  Not super much.  Luckily though, my Sprouts has REALLY cheap prices on foods (three bell peppers for a buck).  I am however, inspired to check out some farmer's markets to see if that's cheap too.

As for the freezing things, I have never tried.  In fact, I didn't really have tupperware/food storage until Christmas... But when I make chicken and cabbage soup on Friday, I'll do a double batch and freeze half to see how it goes.  That's might be easier for Kelland than writing down the simple instructions... Then again... I'm always amazed.

Week 2, Day 3

I decided on no pictures on the internet.  Will take pictures for myself, but won't post them just because I don't want to put them in the albums and if I put them here I have to go through a hosting site.  No, thanks!

I have been killing it on the water and tea front, it has not been easy but I am forcing it down *goes to look for water bottle*.

My body weight routines have also been solid, I've been going through the routine 3x for time and then adding an extra set of one of the exercises each night - last night was an extra set of push ups and I swear my arms nearly feel off.

I was able to make a list of simple instructions for my hubs last night to get a chicken breast roasting in the oven before I got home and it turned out really well!  I did however learn when I tell him that he can pick his own spices he WILL dump crushed red pepper all over the chicken and I will need haz mat gloves to touch it as I break out in a rash if my skin touches crushed red pepper.  And thanks to my good friend, I'm going to try making some stuff to freeze ahead of time so maybe the hubs can just put it in the oven - no haz mat gloves required.

Also, I printed out the whole30 shopping list as found: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Shopping-List.pdf and showed it to my hubs and he got really into it (I think having a visual representation of what we should be looking for at the store helped).  So, I asked if we can try one new food from that list per week and he's all about it.  Which, I admittedly had braced for an argument about he's a meat and potatoes type of guy and doesn't want to try new things.  I didn't get that argument and I had an extra 5 minutes of my life wondering what I should do.  I liked it.  So now, we're going to try one new whole 30 approved vegetable or fruit or meat a week.  YAY!

For my goals, I just have to keep trucking.  Have to decide on something active to do this weekend on an off day and have to make sure I save my $20 at the end of the week.  Life is pretty sweet.

Tomorrow it will be time to flesh out some of my goals for upcoming 6 week challenges based on rules.  I'm still planning where I'm going.  I'm still deciding my baby steps to get there.

Week 2, Day 4

After typing my last post I asked my hubs to pinky promise on trying a new food everyweek (a pinky promise is an unbreakable oath in my house, no take backsies) and he his reply was "About that..."  WHAT?!  And there was my 5 minute discussion I had earlier missed.  The end result was indeed a pinky promise; however, the Hubs is still reluctant.  I went out and bought an acorn squash today anyway to try as our first new food and Hubs is adament that it's not possibly something for eating.  *sigh* Slowly...slowly...

In regard to quests, still setting, refining, etc.  I decided today that of my life goals, there's 4 that I absolutely need to focus on first in this next year and a half.  I would like to take legitimate steps to slay them.  And I plan on being intentional about these things in the next year and a half.  It's kind of a mixed bag of goals but it's a good starting place for me.  Here they are with their numbers from my Life Quests list from above and what I plan to do about it:

Goal #9 - Read 100 Greatest books of British and American Literature

- Reseach and decide on which list to use, because nobody has a definative answer.

- I'm using the list as published by Random House and I'm going off their picks AND reader picks.

http://www.modernlibrary.com/top-100/100-best-novels/

- Write out list with my other goals so that I can cross them off as I finish them or cross them off if I've already read them.

- Finish every book I start before picking up another book.  UGH (This one sucks for me, if I can't get into a book its because I've given it a hundred pages and its just  not working for me - which is weird because I love to read pretty much anything- but once it's dead to me, a book feels like lead to pick back up).

Goal #6 - Learn Italian

- Find out if the local community college offers courses in Italian.

- Yes, they do, right now ITL 101 and 102 are being offered, but it doesn't fit with my tutoring at night schedule.  So, I'm resolved to take it over the   summer when my days are free.

- Rearrange summer tutoring schedule as needed to allow for class.

- Find out when summer session enrolls and sign up for the Summer '13 course of Italian 101, if offered.

- Complete the course with an "A" to be preppared to take ITL 102 in the fall.

*This is actually a huge blessing for me to be doing over the summer.  I like to do things.  The last few summers of doing nothing and have zero money have been really depressing and hard on me.  Getting out and doing something will be amazing.

Goal #1 - Buy a house.

*This is the biggest priority right now for my little family and a great majority of my energies are going in this direction because it's really important to us.  Realistically, I don't know how close we can get in a year and a half - but it's gonna be closer than we are now.

- Pay down debt (credit cards and student loans) using weekly tutoring money in order to gain a more favorable debt to income ratio.

- Find a cheaper place to live to not expell so much current funding on rent.

- Place extra money in down payment account.

- Talk to phone billing people about discounts for my school district to get a lower monthly phone bill. 1/23/13

- Check out farmer's markets to get best prices on foods.

- Go to cash system for weekly purchases - no cash, no purchase - that way we aren't mindlessly swiping plastic with no ramifications.

- Brew coffee at home instead of spending so much $ at Sbux. Ugh.

Goal #12 - Get face fixed.

*This is a highly involved and kind of emotional thing for me.  My teeth are out of whack because my upper pallet is narrower than my lower pallet, so my upper teeth technically sit a little bit inside my lower teeth.  Due to the narrowness of my upper pallet, not all my teeth fit up there right and are crowded for the appropriate amount of space so, my front teeth slowly but surely have started migrating one behind the other to make room for everyone else.  I've been evaluated for it, and fixing it will require surgery where they drill holes in the roof of my mouth to release the bone and then I will wear a binator and braces and psycho amounts of rubber bands for up to 3 years.  I was on a surgery list before, but I was asked to take a job in a different part of the state and the nurses scheduling the surgery were giving me 3 days notice when my name finally came up. Not cool.  Since then, it's been a pain in the ass, and it will be expensive as we don't have dental or orthodontic insurance.  Since it will be so expensive, I don't know if it's feasible with the house goal, but I'm going to try.

- Talk to Hubs about how much it would cost to add orthodontics to our insurance to see if we can afford the monthly hit. 1/19/13

- Ask around to find an orthodontist worth seeing by April 2013.

- Save up money for initial xrays, etc.  About $500 by June 2013.

- Get referal to go to a surgeon by October 2013.

- Get on list for surgery by December 2013 so as to REQUEST SURGERY FOR Summer 2014.

- Don't wuss out.

Too many goals?  Too many things going on?  It doesn't seem like it from where I sit, there's just a lot of things that I feel like need to get done.  And I feel like I should have done this last year.  Shoulda, coulda, woulda, but didn't (it doesn't matter, it's in the past. *Thank you Rafiki, again.*)  Moving forward from here.  Being intentional.  Getting it done.  One day at a time.  Not daunted.

Dear Lord, I love working out.  It makes me so dang optimistic.

Visual representation you say?

choose-my-paleo-plate-pale-version-of-ch

It won't let me look at the link.  When I click on it, it says that you're not allowed to hyperlink this.  ?  Direct me somewhere else dear friend!

Hmmm... apparently its working in the other spots, and where I uploaded a saved copy.... so there ya go haha.

As for acorn squash, I've done this for breakfast multiple times: http://crossfitcarbon.com/acorn-squash-porridge/2335

I quite liked it, and one squash lasts me for 3-4 servings. I've mixed up the whole batch at once so all I have to do is heat it up. It reheats very well.

Being in Cali, you should have fairly good access to seasonal veggies year round at farmer's markets. I was cruising the markets this summer, but they've mostly shut down during the winter here. Sbux will indeed eat away at the budget... lucky for me hubby doesn't get unless I do, and I'm not doing dairy this month, so the habit is squashed for now. Do you guys have a montly itemized budget? Do you track your random purchases with any kind of set goal? Our budget allows each of us an amount for just "Stuff" which is things like books, music, movies, unnecessary clothes etc. We don't always saty 100% in the budget, but even just having it as a baseline means that we are always striving to keep it as close as possible to the amount we can afford.

Awesome book goal is awesome.... I'd like to do that eventually, but not until after grad school stops sucking my life away. Language goal too, though I'd go for Spanish so I can stop being a Mexican disgrace.

House and surgery and big big goals, but I have no doubt that you guys can figure out ways to get things taken care of. I know you already have debts and that's an issue for the house, but if there any way to finance the surgery? Or even just a portion, so you don't have as much to save cash-wise? It just seems like getting that taken care of ASAP is a good idea, so you can recover and put it behind you.

Week 2 Review on Goals

This week felt pretty killer in the way of goals.  I feel accomplished.  Even when some stuff didn't go as planned, everything still came out ok.  Thank you, Lord.

Get Out of Financial Stress

- $20 in the bank. 

- Still looking for apartments.

Eat Right

- Logged in my fitness pal every day.

- Planned out all meals to save money AND help out the hubs

- Daily vitamins taken... well, daily.

- Met water goal 5 of 7 days!!

Work Hard

- All Stuff logged in Endomondo

- Body weight routines M/W/F (Friday's was EASY, kick it up to 4 rounds each workout night?)

- Extra walking done today by walking 1.8 miles around the movie theater.

In order to reach my life goals: was able finish a book, In my opinion, not a very good book (curse you James Joyce).  The only plastic transactions on my bank acount  are things that the Hubs bought me for my birthday (hello new sports bras and vitamin C supplements!- obviously, since its for my birthday, I'm allowing it) or bills.  We're brewing coffee at home, or working off of sbux gift cards.  And I talked to the hubs about orthodontic insurance (he doesn't know, and thinks we should wait until his annual insurance opt-in thing comes out - fair enough).

Like I said, this week has been good.  The true test will come when I have to head back to work on Monday.  Back to bazillion hour (read 12 hour) work days then having to follow through with all the stuff I set goals for.  I feel very fortunate to have gotten a 2 week start on all this, so that my motions are somewhat already in place before the true test.  Also, this last week, one of my tutoring days got cancled which means that we'll have less cash going into this week- Meh, I think we can swing it. :)

Do you guys have a montly itemized budget? Do you track your random purchases with any kind of set goal? Our budget allows each of us an amount for just "Stuff" which is things like books, music, movies, unnecessary clothes etc.
In the last couple of months, we've been alternating "giving each other" $50 to spend however we want.  One single rule of "No hookers, no blow."  So, I get $50 every other month to spend on stuff.  Otherwise, we honestly don't spend money other than on bills, food, and gas.  We went to the movies today because Kelland had been hoarding an extra $20 in his wallet... and that was a rare treat.  Sigh, thus another reason to find a new place to live...
but if there any way to finance the surgery? Or even just a portion, so you don't have as much to save cash-wise? It just seems like getting that taken care of ASAP is a good idea, so you can recover and put it behind you.

That's what my mom said too, and honestly I can't see taking out another loan on top of our copious student loans. Its worth it to me on one hand to have it done and over with, on the other hand I don't know if its worth putting us even further behind.  I guess that's a weird personal thing.

Totally unrelated, I made kale chips today.  TOTALLY satisfied the salty crunchies!  At the movies, I could smell everyone's popcorn and I wanted to murder the lady munching noisily behind me.  It made me want some pretty bad, but I came home and made some kale chips and now I'm feeling pretty dang good about the whole thing.  I wish they were thicker though... more of something to bite into.  Have you tried with different types of kale?

NOTE TO ANYONE WHO CARES: PrincessHeather did not say any of the stuff in the paragraph starting with "In the last couple of months..."  It's quoted as her saying that, but it's not her.  That's my response.  I'm not sure how that happened. :(

Good week and great job!!

It sounds like you two are doing the best you can on the money deal, so don't stress yourself out and get overwhelmed. I know that is WAY easier said than done... Bryan and I don't have student debts, but we do have a lot of credit debt from all the travelling we've done (taking advantage of where we've been going with the military), and sometimes I freak out and decided we have to stop spending money on everything and pay if off RIGHT NOW. It's comical, irrational, and not excactly helpful in getting the man on board with not doing this or spending on that... point is, I get how frustrating it is.

As for Kale chips, I have done the same thing with chard, and that worked pretty well. The leaves for chard are a bit more robust and they are flatter so they can carry more salt and spices (easily over-spiced too).

You're doing great, keep it up!

gimme-five.gif

FYI.... 4 day tickets to Tokyo DisneySea are $180, and plane tickets are around $1100.... I'm torturing myself with all this information :(

And there goes my plan to save up mah monies... Twould be a great adventure!!

Week 3, Day 3

And all a girl wants is a warm cup of hot cocoa to end her night...Oy ya! 

Starting work again this week has not been as hard as I thought it would be.  Parts of it are hard - other parts are not as bad as I was dreading.

The parts that are hard are that I'm tired.  My sleeping got out of whack over break and 12 hour work days on 4 hours of sleep are not my friend.  Also, being back at work is torture on the diet since I've been eating clean.  My partner teacher is a vegetarian who loves her some crunchy carb oriented snacks.  Since yesterday, I've been bombarded with salty crunch noms.  Gold fish, sour cream and chive crackers, stuff to make PB and J, pretzels, Hershey's pot of gold chocolates...  She brought it in with good intentions, but I might hate her a little bit for it.  Staying strong - not giving into the dark side.  That coupled with the fact that coupled with the fact that they girl I tutor had a supersize McD's french fries during tutoring today.  Being hungry and having to sit through 2 hours of french frie smell was very nearly the end of me.  Warm and salt and grease and probably chemically engineered to give me a food-gasm... 2 hours never lasted so long.

On the other side of that (focusing on the positives now), I'm done with one work out - two to go. I'm drinking lots of water - which is because I enjoy green tea so much - Thank you orange blossom green tea.  I've taken my vitamins every day - team Vitamin C to stave off sick kiddos.  And I'm staying on track with my eating - no lapses.  This feels like a good week to have so much going on because I'm still pretty motivated.  I might even say that its a fun little challenge to take on my crazy week and make it out on top.

The rest of the week gets crazier from here, but I think I can hack it.

Instead of working out tomorrow like I would normally do, I'm flying to Northern California for the day (my mom is crazy in the best way possible) so I'm going to focus on my reading goal instead.  Which is good because I'm only a quarter of the way into my second book.  As far as the rest of the week... one day at a time.

Week 3, Day 5

After my last post - I lost it. I am amazed that so many crazy things have happened to me in the space of two days. Amazed and grateful and tired. I flew to Nor Cal because my mom was getting me a hair cut for my birthday. (That sounds ridiculous, and it kind of is, but deal with it. I hadn't had a haircut in a year and I have a lot of hair so I was so grateful that my mom wanted to do this for me for my birthday even if she had to hatch a crazy train scheme to do it.) I woke up really early to drive myself to the airport to make my flight on time so I'm already a little bit cranky about having to wake up extra early, then I could not find a parking spot at the airport for 20 minutes, causing me to be late for my flight. I was freaked out and amped up. I was shaking as I was going through security because I had so much adrenaline going through me from freaking out. During the flight I calmed down and read my book - cool. When I landed, I had a voicemail on my phone. It was from my school district asking me to interview for a position that I really want and NEED so that my husband and I can buy a house. I've been trying to get this job for 2 years and this is my first interview for it! So then I'm freaking out again and all amped up because I'm excited and worried and excited and worried. My mom picks me up from the airport, we have a 2 hour car ride to where we're going and I get to calm down a little. When we get to town, I go to lunch with my dad - who, out of nowhere, offers to co-sign on a house for us so that we can finally buy a place. (We've been trying to buy for like 2 years and my dad has never remotely offered this option before and in fact has highly discouraged it - so imagine my surprise.) So, I'm rolling on a high at this point because my day is so gosh darn AMAZING that I can't contain myself. I go get a hair cut - Amazing. Mom takes me out to dinner - Amazing. Fly home late and when I get home my husband has gone out and gotten me flowers for my birthday (which I don't think that's happened since we were dating) - Amazing. Best day ever. Couldn't believe my luck.

Thursday rolls around (which was my actual birthday) and it was the longest day EVER. I went to work - people were downright mean and cranky for no good reason. Went to second work (tutoring) and my kids were goofing off and I hit a wall of tired midway through. Came home to a voicemail from my dad saying that if we wanted his help with a house, we're going to have to wait about 5 months because my parents are in the middle of a re-fi - this leads to an argument between my husband and I about where to live in the meantime. His idea being that we should live with his parents, who live about an hour away and are crazy as all get out (and I'm not just saying that lightly. There are psychotic stories if anyone wants to know.) so that we can save money in rent. My idea being to find a cheaper apartment for a 6 month lease because I can't live with the crazies again and definitely not when I'm working 12 hour days and would have to commute an hour both ways. This is apparently unreasonable. Long story short, I was sobbing hysterically, take out food was purchased because no dinner was made and there was no working out to make up for Wednesday. All with the added bonus of feeling crummy for not eating right and working out. Ugh.

This morning, I feel like I really had to adopt an attitude of "oh freaking well, life goes on" And amazingly enough...this morning after doing that, I was able to regain some ground - drinking all my water, eating good food, doing my workout tonight even though I had planned on doing something tomorrow instead. I truly feel like... besides getting a job interview, the best thing to come out of this situation is literally getting back into my routine today. Previous to today, I may have missed two days and then totally lapsed, but I'm back in my routine and missing two days isn't going to kill me. I'm human, things happen. I can still move forward. That's kind of empowering. Rolling with it.

Week 3 Review on Goals

Get Out of Financial Stress:

- $20 in the bank

- looking for cheaper places... This has been put on hold due to the fact that my dad might be cosigning a house with us?  My husband has final say on what we're doing in the mean time.

Eat Right:

- Logged foods into Myfitnesspal 5/7 days, and the other two days I might not want to know what my specs were.  On the bright side - resisted a churizo burrito this morning... small victory.

- Planned meals out for the week and was able to give Hubs simple instructions.

- Daily vitamin taken 7/7 days

- Water goal met 7/7 days

Work Hard:

- Workouts logged into Endomondo

- Bodyweight routines 2/3 (missed Wednesday this week and plans to switch days to M/Th/Sat didn't work...)

- Walked 3 miles yesterday as part of additional exercise.

Life Goals:

- Still trying to get through The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton.  I could admittedly be reading a bit more, but we got Stargate from Netflix this week, and they put Treasure Planet on instant.  So, my free time has been a little occupied.

- Buy a house... I was really iffy about this one this week, but in the end,  how bad do I want a house?  Do I want it bad enough to live with my in laws for a couple months?  Or do I want it bad enough go month to month on our apartment lease and pay a higher rate for a few months?  Just because its not my plan, it could still work, yeah?  Yeah, it is my first priority so I going for it at all costs.

On top of all my other stuff, I have a job interview this coming Tuesday.  I'm way excited because I've been trying to get a position in this district for two years.  If I was able to get a job it would mean working for more money for half the time.  Who doesn't like that?  It would really help me with my other goals too... I'm freaking myself out. 

Also, Hubs came across something rather sad and kind of interesting today.  Its two pictures from facebook that people have posted and some of the comments that go along with them.  I was going to share the image here, but upon further reflection - I'll let people look at the image at their own risk because it might be considered kind of offensive...

The first picture is a couple who very clearly works out and has great muscle definition - they are showing off their six pack abs.  Some of the comments that were pulled from the responses were mostly about the woman and how "unfeminine" she is or how she must have man parts because she's muscular.

The second photo is a very curvy girl in a bikini who has decided not to be ashamed of her body.  The comments shown are mostly about how beautiful and strong she is.

A couple things...

1) The only side I'm taking on this is that the woman who has ripped abs does not look like a dude.  She looks strong and like she works hard for the body she wants.

2) I am completely and totally aware that the person who made this probably only included responses favorable to their argument.

Now,  I'm highly discouraged that people are so against a strong female form.  Why is it perceived as masculine? Unhealthy? and "gross"?  Especially when fit girls and muscle-y girls are taking care of their bodies probably 100% better than the rest of us.  I understand that as a female, you're supposed to have a certain percentage of body fat on you in order to be a fertile reproductive being, but that number is actually not very high considering all the fat a person can carry on their body.  Twelve percent of body fat doesn't mean you're chunky, in fact a handy google search of body fat percentages in women will lead you to charts of what a woman looks like at various fat percentages and %15 (10 - 13% is considered necessary to life on a woman) is looking pretty dang lean.

On the opposite end of that, the picture on the bottom has the girl with closer to 40% body fat with people saying how she's so strong and a positive role model.  Now I get it... our society is all backward in this regard.  Somewhere along the line, our models got thinner and thinner until there was a retaliation against "thin" as a feminine ideal.  There's a retaliation because we started seeing young girls trying so hard to live up what marketing told them they could be and we weren't giving them the tools to get there.  We were giving them wonder bread and moms were condoning juice fad diets because they didn't have time to show their daughters how to exercise for it.  The girls ruined their metabolisms with their mother's crash dieting and finally realized that they would never be waif thin and said "well isn't it ridiculous for the world to not accept us for who we are?"  And we stood up for them and said "exactly, be proud of who you are!"  Other people caught on and decided it was more appropriate for use to tell these girls they they are strong for standing up for themselves instead of the slightly more offensive thing of telling them they are probably unhealthy and will be at major risk for heart disease and diabetes.

It became an issue of reverse discrimination.  Its not ok to tell people they are overweight because its offensive, but it's ok to make comments about someone's femininity because they're fit?

Now, I'm not saying that the second girl isn't beautiful.  She's very beautiful.  What I'm saying is that her body is an unhealthy weight.  We need to teach our young girls that they can be proud of themselves and if they have pride in themselves they should value having a healthy body.  If you love your body, take care of it... cause its the only one you're gonna get.

My two cents.

Whoa, so much to catch up on!!! I won't quote cause that will only make this reply that much longer and crazier!

1) First of all, re: kale chips. I experimented last night with chips made of collard greens. Way less delicate, but tasted pretty much the same, so that's worth trying! Better to eat leafy greens than to break down and eat carby junk from your veggie co-teacher. I always find it interesting, since many choose to be vegetarian out of an idea that meat/products are bad for you... well hershey's chocolate is not healthier than a steak no matter how you look at it.

2) Way to stay on the wagon in light of massive craziness with your short trip and all the discussions about house buying and money. Would have been easy to get discouraged and not focus on keeping up the good habits, but you handled it. I hope you're able to find a good way to deal with the housing situation and not end up going back to living with his parents, since that's not going to be pleasant.

3) Don't even get me started on female strength/beauty/femininity arguments! I was very much sucked into the "ideal" of being stick thin and was honestly super depressed that I gained 20 lbs in a year or so of being married. That's a terrible ideal, but the reverse of accepting being overweight is not a healthy outlook either. Tons of things, including genetics to an extent, play into how you will store and carry fat, but I can't say that 40% body fat is going to be okay for anyone. And what's amazing to me about those who criticise very fit women, is that it takes an absurd about of commitment and focus to get to a point where they can be considered "bulky" or "mannish" in the first place. I've been lifting for a year, and I am only just recently starting to see arm definition! The ladies who are ripped have spend years training hard, and I think strength is a powerful thing for a woman to have. And I think that for some people, a truly powerful woman is something to be feared instead of praised. It's a sad truth, but I think it is true nonetheless.

4) I want to hear about your interview ASAP! Good luck hun!

Whoa, so much to catch up on!!! I won't quote cause that will only make this reply that much longer and crazier!

Amen to that.  So, I'm bullet pointing for  efficiency!

1. I considered that, or even if heartier things like endive leaves could be subbed?  I haven't tried it, but will let you know if I do.  I may consider the almond flour crackers that people talk about.  I'm branching out into my online recipe searches of things (tonight is trying to improve my paleo pot pie) so, I'll keep you posted.

2. I'm still catching up on my sleep! Oy!

3. No kidding!  That article put me through the roof, which is why the rant.  I can't say that jr. high and high school weren't difficult for me on the personal image front.  Thunder thighs and the butt of a race horse in spandex next to freaking Dana Pulver and who used to tell me I was chunky.  Not cool.  Not cool.  That aside... we teach that behavior to our daughters!  We teach them to think they're not normal or whatever.  I'm soap boxing, but I see it at school in the really young girls now.  They bully each other so bad and I want to shake some of them and tell them they are being jerks.

4. Weird interview process.  You get interviewed along with two other candidates, so you have to be on top of what other people are saying and you have to be able to add to it, etc.  I have a feeling that I'll make the "hiring list" but nobody will actually pick me up.  Which is discouraging, but its a step closer than I was before.  And I'm trying to keep that in mind so I don't go completely psycho until I I get official word.  If I didn't even make the list... I'll pretty much be black balled in this district.... meh.  I'll spread word probably everywhere if I get news :)

Week 4 Review on Goals

I can't even remember this past week.  Is that weird?  Good thing I keep a journal... and have been using myfitnesspal and endomondo, and write random notes to myself all over the place.  In fact, I'm starting to feel like the guy in Momento.

Onward!

Get Out of Financial Stress

- $20 in da bank! (Next week, when I have a rounder number, I'll deposit and then dump it on my credit card)

- Cheaper place to live has been killed.  Hubs has slayed that idea due to the cosigning issue.  Hubs has also decided that we're going to stay in our current place with a month to month lease and actually pay $300 more a month for doing that.  It honestly stresses me out.

Eat Right

- Buying storing my proteins and hitting Sprouts once a week... not cool.  I think I need a better option, or I need to get my whits and my meal plan together BEFORE I go to the store so that I know what I need to buy.  I went to the store on Wednesday (double add days = more stuff on sale) and we're already out of those veggies.  I'm considering a food box delivery from here because I like that they rotate through produce weekly and the price for the 2 person box is $20.

- Taking my daily vitamins -haven't gotten sick from all the flu kids, bonus life points!

- Drinking 6 cups of water per day 5/7 days.

- Logged all foods into myfitnesspal 7/7 days.

Work Hard

- Body weight routines M/W/F - Added extra round on Wednesday because I was feeling STRONG.

- Additional something active - Walked 2.11 miles at the gym, and an extra mile another day for funsies.

- All work outs logged into Endomondo for progress tracking.

Two more weeks to go.  I'm starting to plan my mini goal for the next 6 week challenge and I'm getting excited :).  Excited to make my habits my life.

That food delivery box sounds amazing! I'm about to join a food co-op here that has a store in downtown, I get discounts if I'm a member and it only cost $20 to join. There's also going to be a summer CSA program, and that will be locally grown. Super excited!

That food delivery box sounds amazing! I'm about to join a food co-op here that has a store in downtown, I get discounts if I'm a member and it only cost $20 to join. There's also going to be a summer CSA program, and that will be locally grown. Super excited!

Do it.  From all the research I've been doing, people really like it because you get good stuff out of it and its kind of a no brainer.  Veggies come to you.  No hard choices at the store or fighting with yourself over what you should be buying, etc.  I know that the one I'm looking into even comes with a weekly herb!

Do you have to provide anything to the co-op?

Week 5, Day 4

Holy crap, time flies!  So much has been happening!  And my husband has once again changed my plans for my goals.  So, lets start with the basics...

I am feeling so strong that its crazy.  So amazed and grateful that in such a short amount of time my body has recovered so much strength from the last year when I was working out so diligently.  Its crazy.  I even broke through my weight plateau that I got stuck on last year.  I'm also apparently looking slightly better because my vegetarian (read: carboholic) co worker has asked me what I do to look so good.  She's now doing the BBW and told me today that she's sore.  She did snicker though when I told her the routine was from a website called "NerdFitness".  Apparently, she was a super snooty cheerleader somewhere along the line...

As for everything else... Eating is good, working out is good, I'm still feeling good about not knowing about my job situation, but my hubs and I are  not on the same page when it is coming to our finances.  He has already changed my ideas about moving to a cheaper place to save money, and I'm still freaking out a bit about it.  But now, he has gone an messed with my plan about paying off the credit card (which turns out to be delightful).  Apparently, he was planning on using part of our tax return, which we already filed, to pay off our credit card and student loans.  And apparently, I didn't tell him I was saving $20 a week to pay down the card.  After talking about it, we're still going with his plan.  Which is perfect because when I was planning out my goals and whatnot, I left myself no money for my once monthly meat expedition.  NNOOOOOOO!  Then, my hubs reminded me that I have been squirreling away bits of money, and I should probably buy meats with that.

I've not spent that much at the grocery store in a long time... and I only bought meat, eggs and ziplock bags.  My freezer is looking so sexy right now that I can't contain myself.  I literally have meat for 28 days, all portioned out and ready.  Woot.

I'm still debating with myself whether or not this is a breach of my goals or not.  And whether or not I should be sticking to my guns a little bit more.  At the same time, I'm also feeling like life happens and I should just role with it.  Also my hubs is way important to me, and he gets final say in the financial department - if my goals aren't lining up with his... our marriage is more important.  Maybe in my next six weeks I need to consider making one of my goals talking to my hubs about stuff more?

Also, since my financial goal has been nixed and/or changed I'm permanently making the $20 I save weekly from tutoring into my meats money.  I love the way that sounds! 

Week 5 Review

Goals, goals, goals, goals - GOALS!  Weeee! (That awkward moment when you've skipped the step of turning into your mother and instead realize that you're turning into your grandma.)

Get out of Financial Stress:

- $20 set aside for meats

- Everything paid for in cash.

Eat Right:

- Bought and stored proteins for 2nd month.  Made intentional plans about which veggies to use on which days to last me through the week (we'll see if it works.  If it doesn't, will be switching to veggie box delivery system)

- Daily Vitamins: 7/7

- Drinking water: 6/7

- Logging foods: 7/7

Time has been short, and the weeks have been flying by, but they have been good!  This week was much the same, but I have to confess - I've been super tired and will be glad when I get to go on rest week.

Work Hard:

- Body Weight Routines: M/W/F  I HAS BICEPS!

- Additional Something Active : Walking New place today

- All my things logged on Endomondo... which pops up on facebook and annoys my friends and my mom.

On the life side of things, I finally heard back about my job interview.  The principal of the school I work for had to call the district HR office... someone had dropped the ball and forgotten to notify me.  I did not get a job but I made the hiring pool - which is a step in the right direction.  And yeah, the school district I'm working in is pretty picky about who they give jobs to.  At least now if there are jobs open, I'm at least eligible to be hired.  That has got to count for something.

Totally ready to go into week 6, kick butt, then reflect, take a nap then do it again! RAWR!