BopGun tries to lose bodyfat and get stronger (in that order)

Today's a rest day and I've already done my stretchy. Soon...yesterday:

Foam rolling & core stuff

Pushups: 15/15/12

I might just get 3x15 before the Super Bowl. :)

Squats -- 45 -- 5x5

Done a la jdanger's suggestions to me in my squat form check thread, trying to sloooooooow the descent so that it takes :10 and break at the knees a bit earlier so that it's just after the break at the hips. I was soooooooooooore after this. :(

Neutral-grip chins w/:10 top hold -- 1/Stall halfway up/Stall halfway up

Hey, I still have enough to do at least one and some partial reps after advancing on the pushups and draining the hell out of my energy reserves with the squat tinkering. I'll take it. :D

Leg press -- 275 -- 3x10

They were TOUGH thanks to the squat tinkering, but I did get 'em. Some of those reps in set three went up slowly, but they did go up nice and evenly. 285 next time.

Weighed in at 188.1 right after that and followed it with all kinds of things: getting a haircut, getting an oil change in the car I'd been borrowing, driving an hour to check out a car I was interested in, getting that car checked out by a mechanic in that town that I trust, buying it and going to my television station's Christmas party. Yes, it wasn't until last night. :P

• Like 1

Thanks to those of you who have basically once again talked me down from a ledge. Eventually, I may stop feeling like such a basket case.

Pool: 200 warmup

20x40 sprints; :30 rests

Between fresh snow (again) that I needed to dig out of and getting out the door later than I expected, I had to cut this short.

Pushups -- 15/14/12

I'm deeply, deeply disappointed with this. After the Flex Pushups Prescription and completing that as ordered, I told Flex Luthor and others that I was shooting for 3x20 today and that I fully expected to breeze through 3x15 at the very least. I could have done more than 15 reps in the first set (I didn't fail any reps there), but I could sense that I was draining my energy reserves quickly by that point and I wanted to hold as much as I could for the other two sets.

So much for that idea. :( I failed an attempt at a 15th rep in set two and stopped set three after I slowed waaaaaaay down on rep 12 to the point where I almost failed that one. My entire upper body is also very, very sore right now. Nothing is in pain, but everything is telling me that it's had enough.

Hey, bud, don't worry! I know everyone's probably talked to you about it already, but I'm gonna put something down here you can always look back on.

I'm like you: I get impatient for leveling up. And the darn bugger of it all is that sometimes, the body just ain't ready. Which sucks. But it's also useful. Because now you know how much you can do and how much you can't do. Now that you know where the line is drawn it'll feel all that much more awesome when you cross it! I know exactly what you mean too, about blowing so much energy on a set and not having enough for the next. Trust me, I know, circuits are brutal. You don't want to tear your body apart, but you do want to challenge it -- so just cut down on the reps a little bit and find an good evening-out point that lets you keep good form while still being challenging.

Also, it could just be you were having an off day. You've probably noticed this by now -- some days, the workout is AWESOME. You come out feeling like a badass. And other days, that workout is just an ordeal. It could be you were having a latter kind of day. Which is fine. Totally normal! Maybe drink some coffee before your workout, it can give you an extra little boost!

Battle Log
Challenge Log
I made a mistake.

I'm like you: I get impatient for leveling up. And the darn bugger of it all is that sometimes, the body just ain't ready. Which sucks. But it's also useful. Because now you know how much you can do and how much you can't do. Now that you know where the line is drawn it'll feel all that much more awesome when you cross it! I know exactly what you mean too, about blowing so much energy on a set and not having enough for the next. Trust me, I know, circuits are brutal. You don't want to tear your body apart, but you do want to challenge it -- so just cut down on the reps a little bit and find an good evening-out point that lets you keep good form while still being challenging.

Hi Razzy! I think I'm starting to get the hang of that concept. My body often ain't ready, a little too often for my taste, and it drives me bonkers to have it happen now after not wanting to do anything like this for the first 35 years of my life.

Today in the pool: 200 warmup

20x40 sprints; :30 rests

This morning, I felt sluggish and weak. It showed in the gym. :(

Pushups: 15/14/12

This GREATLY disappointed me. Even though this is a notch below what I did Saturday, it was a total grind just to do this. I failed on rep 15 of set two and just barely ground out rep 12 of the last set.

Squats a la jdanger -- 45 -- 5x5

They drained most of my remaining energy reserves. Just barely got through them without failing a rep. :10 descents are HARD.

Neutral-grip chinups w/:10 top hold -- Chin to hands level/Stall halfway up/Stall 1/4 of the way up

Well, I kinda expected this based on how things were going leading up to it.

Leg press -- 285 -- 3x10

I wasn't sure I'd be able to rep these out based on everything else, but I did. Most of the reps went up pretty smoothly, too...not easily by any means, but smoothly. I didn't detect any favoring of my right leg. I'll see if I can do better Thursday with these before advancing.

Pushups -- 15/15/12

I think I'm either stalling now or am just about to stall. Felt great physically entering the gym this time...plenty of rest, food, water, etc. ...and almost failed in set 2 and couldn't get off the mat for a 13th rep in set 3.

Squats -- 45 -- 5x5

Holy hell, is it HARD to keep the lumbar in any semblance of bracing. Depth was definitely limited, and I don't know how effective a job I did of keeping the lumbar area braced, but these certainly felt different from any other occasion that I've done the movement. My heart was racing after these and didn't really calm back down until I hit the shower.

Neutral-grip chins w/:10 top hold -- 1/Halfway up/Quarter of the way up

I knew these would be trouble after what had just gone on. Just kind of sucking it up for now.

Leg press -- 285 -- 3x10

I once again almost failed a rep or two in set three, but at least I didn't have any trouble with uneven use of both legs. Still not quite smooth enough for me to bump up the weight again. One more day of 285 should do it.

Saturday: Foam rolling & core stuff

Pushups: 13/13/11

Dr. Flex Luthor has scribbled another scrip for me on his note pad, and I'm glad to have it. I was shooting for 3x13 while watching technique much more carefully than I have been. Some of my reps recently haven't been the best.

Anyway, I thought at first that I may have wussed out because I wasn't killed dead, but I think I needed to stop right where I did. My wrists are sore this morning. 13/13/12 is the target next time, which is Tuesday, and I think I'll get it.

Squats -- 45 -- 5x5

They were still tough, but since I didn't drain myself as thoroughly with the pushups as I usually would, they didn't kill me dead.

Neutral-grip chinups w/:10 top hold -- 1/Nose to hands/Stall partway up

Leg press -- 285 -- 3x10

That's better. :D 295 next time.

Saturday: Foam rolling & core stuff

Pushups: 13/13/11

Dr. Flex Luthor has scribbled another scrip for me on his note pad, and I'm glad to have it. I was shooting for 3x13 while watching technique much more carefully than I have been. Some of my reps recently haven't been the best.

Anyway, I thought at first that I may have wussed out because I wasn't killed dead, but I think I needed to stop right where I did. My wrists are sore this morning. 13/13/12 is the target next time, which is Tuesday, and I think I'll get it.

Squats -- 45 -- 5x5

They were still tough, but since I didn't drain myself as thoroughly with the pushups as I usually would, they didn't kill me dead.

Neutral-grip chinups w/:10 top hold -- 1/Nose to hands/Stall partway up

Leg press -- 285 -- 3x10

That's better. :D 295 next time.

Well, I know that I've told you this already, but I think it bears repeating: any time you're doing an exercise and you're meticulous about using proper form, it's going to be harder than doing the same routine with sloppy form.  So yeah, it's cool that you're sore, because it means you were working muscles and tendons and joints that you may not have been working, or working as hard, before.  

Also, good job on your squats and leg presses! ^_^ *hugs*

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known."

I didn't forget about this thread...but between a vacation, a job interview 850 miles away and going to Arlington National Cemetery for a funeral, I have been very, very busy for the last two weeks. Incorporated a rest break in there which I badly needed, but I got back into it this morning.

12x40 sprints; :30 rests

I ran totally out of gas somewhere around #10. It'll take a little time to get back to where I was, but probably not long.

• Like 3

I didn't forget about this thread...but between a vacation, a job interview 850 miles away and going to Arlington National Cemetery for a funeral, I have been very, very busy for the last two weeks. Incorporated a rest break in there which I badly needed, but I got back into it this morning.

12x40 sprints; :30 rests

I ran totally out of gas somewhere around #10. It'll take a little time to get back to where I was, but probably not long.

Ah, life gets that way sometimes That's along drive for a job interview! I am impressed!

Don't worry, you'll get back up to snuff soon enough. I've done that before when I seriously did something bad to my rotator cuff and couldn't do anything resembling upper body workouts for almost two weeks. I was noodly armed by the end, but I got back that lost ground within a month! So don't worry, it's just a temporary setback!

Battle Log
Challenge Log
I made a mistake.