BopGun tries to lose bodyfat and get stronger (in that order)

So here's something else cool:  you're starting to be aware enough of your body and how it moves, as well as how these lifts are SUPPOSED to be performed.  You know how it's supposed to feel, and you know what felt right and what you need to focus on improving.  Two years ago, you'd have taken at face value whatever you were told about your squat but now you're starting to trust your own ability to know your body, which is a HUGE step forward in being able to do these lifts correctly.  

• Like 3
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known."

Hopefully that's what's happening, scorn.

This morning: pool

200 warmup, :30 rest

20x40 sprints w/:30 rest between each.

Day 4 of the Flex Pushups Prescription also complete. My front delts have been sore all day...no outright pain, but noticeable soreness. Not DOMS; there has been nothing delayed about the onset.

Day 4 of the Flex Pushups Prescription also complete. My front delts have been sore all day...no outright pain, but noticeable soreness. Not DOMS; there has been nothing delayed about the onset.

I know I've said it to you already, but you're doing so great. I hope today the pain has subsided, but if not- it's okay to rest, too. In fact, it might be exactly what you need in order to continue. Either way, 50 pushups a day is pretty kick ass:)

Gunslinger in Training

Battle Log

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed"

So just OMS, then? :D *omnomnom*

OMS, not NOMS!  :playful:

totally what's happening.  and the fact that you're cruising through this pushup workout is evidence of it!  

Level 9 Snarky Rogue

STR:20 | DEX:13 | STA:13.5 | CON:13 | WIS:17 | CHA:16

battle log

there are far better things ahead than what we leave behind - CS Lewis

find out what you're afraid of, and go live there - Chuck Palahniuk 

This morning: had to move move move move basically nonstop from 8 a.m. until almost 9 p.m., so I had to keep this one short.

Foam rolling & core stuff

Squats -- 45 -- 5x5

They took a lot of starch out of me, as you'll see in a second. It's great to see that I can get through them without any danger of failing reps, but I can sense instability in the hole and I can't sense if there's any lumbar rounding or not.

Neutral-grip chins w/:10 top hold -- Chin to hands/Top of head to hands/Stall halfway up

These surprised me. Just shows me that actual free weights really are more taxing than alternatives.

Scratch day 5 of the Flex Pushups Prescription as well. Fortunately, smashing my triceps with a lacrosse ball last night helped the soreness both there and in the delts IMMENSELY. Will do it again before going zzzz tonight.

• Like 2

Okay, apparently I'm not allowed to just like something *kicks the forums* so I'll comment instead.  :D  I like that the lacrosse ball is helping!  Also, keep up the awesome work on the pushups.  Do you find that they're getting harder, easier, or staying about the same?

This morning: Foam rolling & core stuff

Neutral-grip chins w/:10 top hold -- 1/1/Nose to hands

Had to do these out of order today because of loooooooooong line waiting to get into the squat rack.

Squats -- 45 -- 5x5

I still have ZERO confidence in my form. None. Need to shoot video soon, but it wasn't going to happen today. My lumbar area (especially on the left side) was a touch sore going in today, and it's no worse now than it was going in, but I need to watch that carefully.

Leg press -- 265 -- 3x10

I had more trouble than I expected, maybe because I had to do the other 2 exercises out of order. We'll see how Tuesday goes at this same weight before I start to worry.

Weighed 187.3, a good bit less than I expected.

Tuesday: Foam rolling & core stuff

Squats -- 45 -- 5x5

Still extremely worried about technique. I'm not hurting anything, at least, but my knees are caving in spite of my best efforts to force them out as far as I can and my feet are even out-toeing farther than the position in which I set them as I descend. I know I need form check video, but I am not in a position to get any right now.

Neutral-grip chins w/:10 top hold -- 1/Mouth up to hands level/Stall halfway up

Leg press -- 265 -- 3x10

Better, but still not what I'd like.

Very succinct!  As for the squat issues.....the only thing that I can think of to help isn't very practical for the gym.  basically, if you could somehow affix a rod or something between your knees so that they physically COULDN'T get any closer.  But like I said, I don't know how that would play out. :/

Yeah, entries are going to be very brief when I don't make it over here for a few days. I dunno how affixing something between my knees so that they can't cave in would play out either.

I needed extra sleep Wednesday night, so I couldn't make it to the gym before work yesterday.

Last night: Foam rolling & core stuff

Neutral-grip chins w/:10 top hold -- 1/1/Stall halfway up

I had to switch things up as the one squat rack in the gym was in use.

Squats -- 45 -- 5x5

Well, at least I didn't sense form going to shit until the fourth set. That's a fair bit later than usual.

Leg press -- 265 -- 3x10

OK, that's better. I'm using 275 tomorrow.

I am also now on day 13 of the Flex Pushups Prescription. I have a tiiiiiiiiny bit of soreness today, but only a tiiiiiiiiiny bit. It'll probably pass during the day.

Gaaaaaaah!!! Stalker??? *panics*

;)

Saturday: Foam rolling & core stuff

Squats -- 45 -- 5x5

I even shot form check video of them with my phone. Haven't had a chance to edit the vids together yet, but I should have it sometime today.

Chinups w/:10 top hold -- 1/1/1

The neutral-grip chin/pullup station I usually use was taken and there was actually a line several people deep at it. I didn't want to wait that long.

I should have. :tongue: This was the first time I've tried to do any regular chins in about a year and a half (and at that time, I couldn't even budge from a dead hang). This will probably be the last time I do them. They bothered both elbows a LOT. It took about 20 minutes for the twinge of pain I felt in the tendons of both elbows to go away. Shoulder-width grip, too. Nothing unusual there.

Leg press -- 275 -- 3x10

They were a little unstable at times in terms of pressing evenly from both legs, but I did get through them (it felt at one point in the second set as if I might not). We'll see how one more crack at this weight feels Tuesday.

Weighed in at 188.5 after hitting the showers.

Oh, and I am pleased to say that I have now completed the Flex Pushups Prescription as recommended. Flex Luthor tells me that after two days of rest, 3x20 pushups on Tuesday will be not possible, but probable. I hope he's right. :)

• Like 1

Pool this morning:

200 warmup

20x40 sprints; :30 rests after each

I also am posting my squat form check vid from Saturday shortly. I don't know enough to say anything subjective -- 'good', 'meh', 'abysmal' -- but I do know that it's a lot better than what I could do a year and a half ago.

Between fresh snow (again) that I needed to dig out of and getting out the door later than I expected, I had to cut this short.

Pushups -- 15/14/12

I'm deeply, deeply disappointed with this. After the Flex Pushups Prescription and completing that as ordered, I told Flex Luthor and others that I was shooting for 3x20 today and that I fully expected to breeze through 3x15 at the very least. I could have done more than 15 reps in the first set (I didn't fail any reps there), but I could sense that I was draining my energy reserves quickly by that point and I wanted to hold as much as I could for the other two sets.

So much for that idea. :( I failed an attempt at a 15th rep in set two and stopped set three after I slowed waaaaaaay down on rep 12 to the point where I almost failed that one. My entire upper body is also very, very sore right now. Nothing is in pain, but everything is telling me that it's had enough.

• Like 1

Between fresh snow (again) that I needed to dig out of and getting out the door later than I expected, I had to cut this short.

Pushups -- 15/14/12

I'm deeply, deeply disappointed with this. After the Flex Pushups Prescription and completing that as ordered, I told Flex Luthor and others that I was shooting for 3x20 today and that I fully expected to breeze through 3x15 at the very least. I could have done more than 15 reps in the first set (I didn't fail any reps there), but I could sense that I was draining my energy reserves quickly by that point and I wanted to hold as much as I could for the other two sets.

So much for that idea. :( I failed an attempt at a 15th rep in set two and stopped set three after I slowed waaaaaaay down on rep 12 to the point where I almost failed that one. My entire upper body is also very, very sore right now. Nothing is in pain, but everything is telling me that it's had enough.

sore is good.  especially the "not in pain" part.  make sure you're leaving time for recovery!

Level 9 Snarky Rogue

STR:20 | DEX:13 | STA:13.5 | CON:13 | WIS:17 | CHA:16

battle log

there are far better things ahead than what we leave behind - CS Lewis

find out what you're afraid of, and go live there - Chuck Palahniuk 

Thanks to those of you who have basically once again talked me down from a ledge. Eventually, I may stop feeling like such a basket case.

Pool: 200 warmup

20x40 sprints; :30 rests

If that ever happens, you know we can't be friends any more. Your crazy and my crazy get along way too well to just take it away like that <3

• Like 1

Gunslinger in Training

Battle Log

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed"

So......when are you going to start your bulk? :D

I think you already know the answer to that one. :D However, for the benefit of anyone who doesn't know, I intend to go on one once I get squat and deadlift form ironed out. Working on squat now. Deadlift later.

http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/BeanePod/media/3578834250_4ba42b4701_z_zps26af7ebc.jpg.html

Is a BopGun! I miss you guys on chat (still down a computer)

*switches to stealth mode for stalking purposes*

Hey, I envy those push-ups sir!

NW! Hi, and thank you. *blush* I hope we see you back in there sometime soon.

None of this has been easy, not one single step...just look at my squat form check thread if you want verification of that...but in my rare moments of clarity, I take stock of where I've come from and I take some pride in it.

sore is good.  especially the "not in pain" part.  make sure you're leaving time for recovery!

I think I am, crash. :) Felt perfectly good when I went into the gym yesterday morning and I'm sure I'll be OK in the morning, too.

If that ever happens, you know we can't be friends any more. Your crazy and my crazy get along way too well to just take it away like that <3

Awwwwww. We can haz matching straitjackets? <3

• Like 1

Thursday morning: Foam rolling & core stuff

Pushups -- 17/14/11

Well, that's better. :D I'm going to see how close I can get to 3x15 tomorrow.

Squats -- 45 -- 5x5

In light of jdanger's and biggie's suggestions in my squat form check thread, I need to do 'em differently starting tomorrow.

Neutral-grip chinups w/:10 top hold -- Chin at hands level/Stall halfway up/Stall halfway up

I just didn't have it in me to get any full reps here. Suspect this will be the case for a while, but I've been wrong before. We'll see.

Leg press -- 275 -- 3x10

The reps went up smoother than last Saturday but not as smoothly as I'd like. I'm sure I can get them to my satisfaction tomorrow.