BopGun tries to lose bodyfat and get stronger (in that order)

Wednesday: BW Box Squat - 16" box - 5x10

Bench - 45 - 2x5

80 - 3

110 - 5/5/5/5/4

I had a tickle in my throat during the last set that I tried to ignore as best I could, but I exhaled at the bottom of the last rep without intending to. :P Had to roll of shame the weight off of me. I believe I probably would have gotten the rep otherwise, even though the 4th rep was a real grind and the bar almost stopped moving.

Pendlay Row - 100 - 5x5

Finally did them with technique that satisfied me.

Thursday: pool

4x100 w/12-breath rests

4x50 w/8

4x25 w/4

On to week 2 of Couch to 1 Mile on Sunday.

Saturday: Box Squat - BW to 16" box - 5x10

I only have to do one or two extra reps in each set now to get 10 that count for form purposes. :P

OHP - 75 - 5x5

Weight went up MUCH more easily than it has been after assimilating some technique pointers from KW and others.

Sumo DL - 155 - 5

Not satisfied with my amount of tightness here. Need to keep working on it before increasing the weight.

Today: pool

200 w/12-breath rest

4x100 w/10

4x50 w/6

4/25 w/4

I was panting heavily at the end this time.

Between a switch in work schedule and then two weeks of vacation (more than one of which involved me traveling), I've been lax on updating this log. I still have been working at it, though. My week of travel coincided with what would have been a week's break from the weights, but I have been in the pool during that time.

Today: 400

4x100 w/10-breath rests

60/40/60/40 w/8 between each

It took me traveling and stepping foot into a 25-yard pool for the first time in many, many years for me to realize the pool I swim in is actually 20 yards and not 25. :numbness: With that in mind, I've had to stagger what would normally be 50-yard intervals a bit differently.

This was also my first crack at Couch to 1 Mile's week 3, and someone who strayed a bit too close and kicked me in the ribs made me stop in the middle of the 400 out of necessity. Sheesh.

Something nicer made me stop once more during the 400 and once during the 200...my suit was slipping down. Needed to re-tie it twice to keep it in place. I guess I really am losing chub. :peaceful:

My boss dumped a boatload of extra work on me yesterday as a 'welcome back' present...she does that to me every time I return from a vacation...so I didn't get out of work last night until 7:30. Gym closes at 8. If I'd gone, I'd have had just enough time to PVC roll myself and get the BW squats in before closing time. Had to improvise at home.

After starting things out with rollin'... (incidentally, I have yet to roll my T-spine without producing a nice loud CRRRRRRACK!)

BW Box Squat - 16" (edge of recliner) - 5x10

Clasped my hands behind my head on some of the reps, and OOOOOOOOOOF. Very very very hard. Couldn't even get out of the hole on some reps and had to do those again with the arms outstretched. I still have a long road ahead of me if I ever want to return a bar to my back.

Knee Pushups - 10/9/7/6/5

Not good by any means, but an improvement over the last time tried them (which also came about because of my job).

Today: pool.

400 w/12-breath rest

200 w/10

2x100 w/8

...and then I had to leave or else be late for work. I couldn't have made it to the pool any earlier (it doesn't open on Tuesdays and Thursdays until 8:30 a.m.), so I'll have to go to something like Mon/Wed/Sat in the water, with weights on three of the other days (probably Sun/Tues/Thurs). Only, I'll have to also account for the fact that my pool is closed this Friday through Labor Day for its annual cleaning. Hmmm. Thoughtin'.

Well, now. It HAS been a while, hasn't it?

Suffice it to say, after the above post, I took a three-month break from any form of strength training as the minimal results I was experiencing just weren't worth the time and energy I was putting into it. It also didn't help that I was weighing 243 at the time. Not sure if I mentioned that anywhere...and it was mostly added bodyfat.

I stopped eating for strength (or at least that's what I thought I was doing at the time), scaled back my calorie consumption dramatically and turned my attention to swimming exclusively until right around Christmastime. It did help...I think I got down to around 220ish by the end of the year and made slooooooow progress with the Couch to 1 Mile swim program to the point where I finally got through 1500 yards continuously in early December.

I've continued in the pool and have recently started bodyweight strength training again with the intent of getting back into lifting once I've reached a point where I'm satisfied. Not sure where exactly that will be, but 50 pushups, 50 BW squats without my lumbar flopping all over the place and 10 chins would be a nice point to reach. Oh, and the lumbar. It's why I stopped lifting after briefly resuming it in December. I hurt it mildly again DLing 135x5 and just said 'fuck it; if I do it so badly that it's hurting me, I shouldn't be doing it at all right now'.

Thankfully, I have been making some nice progress since I was last in this thread. Weighed 197.8 yesterday. Fleshy midsection is still shrinking. I want that bitch GONE. NOW. Also just this week gained the ability to do an actual regular pushup for the first time in my life.

Another nerd just convinced me tonight to start logging again. Gym is closed tomorrow and I moved my rest day for the week, which would normally have been today, to tomorrow to compensate. Here's today:

Freestyle swim:

200 yards w/ :30 rest

200 w/ :30 rest

1700 w/enough rest time to walk back leisurely to the other end of the pool & rest for :30 once I get there

200 w/:30 rest

5x40 sprint w/:30 rest after each (pool is just 20 yards long)

Core work:

2 rotations of http://scoobysworkshop.com/2012/07/01/rotisserie-functional-core-abs-workout/ with leg lifts in place of crunches, as I hate them

I will also do this sometime later tonight: http://www.doyogawithme.com/content/deep-release-hips-hamstrings-and-lower-back ...since, as noted, I'm so horribly immobile that I can't perform the basic multi-joint barbell movements properly.

Good to be back! :)

OK, we're back in business this morning...

Foam rolling

Core work -- 2 rotations of http://scoobysworksh...re-abs-workout/ w/leg lifts

BW box squats -- 18" box -- 3x10

Leg press -- 135 -- 3x10

My objective with these is to really feel the stretch reflex at the bottom and loosen up so that I can squat to that depth safely. I wouldn't think of doing this with anything heavy, but I hold each rep in the bottom for a second or two before pressing it back up. My hips definitely feel it.

Assisted chins -- 28# assist -- 3x5

After failing on the last rep on Saturday, I wasn't sure I'd make it all the way up this time. It was a sloooooooooow grind, but I did. :D Using 24# assist next time.

Hip hinges -- feet 8" away from wall surface -- 3x10

I just started doing these about two weeks ago, and I must've badly needed them, because my hamstrings are fried after every set. 8" is as far away from a flat surface as I can place my feet without toppling backwards.

Barbell ankle stretch -- 2x :30

I feel these more in my glutes than anywhere else. :( The bar forces me lower than I can go on my own (unless I allow the knees to collapse inward, which I did on the first of these today and didn't notice. Had to stand back up and start over).

Pushups -- 3/2/2

I had a looooooooooooong day yesterday -- left my front door at 7:45 and couldn't return until 10:30, working most of that time -- and so I fell behind. I also went into the gym this morning with the notion to just try to repeat Tuesday, as I'm feeling beat-up from working (now) 11 straight days and from having an unexpectedly short night of sleep last night.

Wednesday: pool

2x200 w/:30 rests

1700, leisurely walk back to other end of pool, :30 rest once there

200, :30 rest

5x40 sprints w/:30 rests

Today:
Foam rolling

Core work -- 2 rotations of above-mentioned core stuff

BW box squats -- 18" box -- 3x10

Leg press -- 135 -- 3x10
Felt a POWERFUL stretch of the hips this time, especially the left. Will use 145 next time.

Assisted chins -- 28# assist -- 3x5
Last rep wasn't as much of a grind as Tuesday, which I was happy about. Will use 24# assist next time.

Barbell ankle stretch -- 2x :45
Again, more glutes than anything else. I have a hell of a time keeping the back upright on these and probably don't do a very good job of it.

Pushups -- 3/2/2
Tried for an extra rep in each set, but due to the previously-mentioned accumulated fatigue, they weren't happening.

This is my 18th work day out of the last 19 calendar days. I realize that progress is even slower than usual for me right now, since I have to manage my newsroom for the time being after my then-boss quit for a new job two weeks ago.

Today: Pool

2x200, :30 rest after each

1700, walk to other end of pool & :30 rest once there

200, :30 rest

3x40 sprints, :30 rest after each

Had to cut the sprints two laps short. A water aerobics class appropriated the pool 10 minutes before the class began, even though they're not supposed to. A throng of people clutching noodles and other floats obstructed the lap lanes, and the lifeguards didn't give a shit that they were there. It wasn't a battle I would choose to fight, so I left even though I was pissed off.

Today: as per usual, foam rolling

BW squats to 18" box -- 3x10

I'm beginning to think I should do something different. No progress at all with the ability to maintain arched lumbar and ability to activate glutes.

Leg Press -- 145 -- 3x10

That's better. Hips definitely felt this.

Chins -- 22# assist -- 5/4/4

More reps than I expected to be able to get, and with fewer assist pounds, too; I'd thought the next step down from 28 was 24.

Barbell Ankle Stretch -- :45 x2

Really felt these POWERFULLY in the glutes, more than any other time I've done them to date. Ankles? Nope. Nothin'.

Hip Hinges -- 8" or so out from wall surface -- 3x10

Pushups -- 3/3/3

I was worried how much energy I'd have today after a 12.5-hour work day yesterday. Maybe it sapped my reserves a little bit, but I shouldn't have worried.

Foam rolling

Core shiz, which I see I forgot to mention on Saturday (but I did do them then, too)

18" box BW squats -- 3x10

Really thinking these aren't helping much. I can feel lumbar rounding well before drawing close to the box. My efforts to keep the abs and glutes engaged aren't enough.

Leg Press -- 145 -- 3x10

I wasn't sure I was using enough range of motion last time, so I wanted to give it one more go. Will use 155 next time.

Chins -- 22# assist -- 5/4/4

I'll take this, as I noticed on Saturday that I hadn't been squeezing the glutes hard enough to keep the lumbar in line. Squeezed them as hard as I could here.

Barbell Ankle Stretch -- 2 x :45

Again, I don't think they're helping.

Hip Hinges -- I think 8" from wall surface -- 3x10

I'll try 10" next time. A foot is still too far for me.

Pushups -- 3/3/2

Something told me over the weekend that I was doing them wrong, and indeed, I was. I didn't know you're supposed to touch the chest to the floor first. :(

Did that here and MAN, it felt twice as hard as going nose-first.

This morning: Pool

200x2; :30 rests

1700; about 1:00 rest (the walk to other end & :30 once I get there thing)

200; :30 rest

5x40 sprints; :30 rests

Followed by core exercise shiz

I know this looks repetitive. As I'm concentrating on bodyweight strength training at the moment, I'm in a bit of a holding pattern in terms of progress in the water. This doesn't bother me, as I know I need to get stronger and more mobile above all else. The pool clears my head and relieves stress like nothing else, so I will keep at it. :)

I'm still at work. 2:30 to midnight tonight. Because I'd forgotten first my wallet and phone, then my soap and shampoo, when leaving just before 1 p.m., I had to rush. It also didn't help that I also felt very weak going in today in spite of nearly 9 hours of sleep last night. :(

Foam rolling

BW squats to 18" box -- 3x10

I could be mistaken, but I think I got the glutes more involved today than I usually have.

Chins w/22# assist -- 5/4/3

Pushups -- 3/3/2

Pool yesterday.

2x200; :30 rests

1700; 1:00ish rest

Had to leave at that point as I was already running late for work.

Can't wait to be back to my normal schedule (won't be until next Friday). I'm taking today and tomorrow completely off because my body feels like it's been run over by a truck.

I forgot until now that I haven't stopped in here since before my break. That's what working around the clock will do.

Monday: pool

200x2

5x40

Today: bodyweight strength stuff

Foam rolling

Core exercises

BW 18" box squats -- 3x10

I'm pretty much just marking time with these until I can pay for technique coaching on the major lifts. Fortunately, with a bonus coming my way once our new news director takes over, that point in time is closer at hand than I thought just a week ago.

Leg press -- 145 -- 3x10

I think my hips really needed this. They knew when I got up that they'd been stretched.

Chins -- 22# assist -- 5/5/3

Hey, finally some good news! More than I could manage before my break.

8"-from-wall hip hinges: 3x10

Barbell ankle stretches: 2 x :30

Again, I have yet to actually feel this in either ankle. It's almost all glutes with a little bit of hip.

Pushups: 3x3

Well, now, this was a surprise! I didn't expect to get through them all.

I forgot all about this thread. :(

Wednesday: pool

200x2, :30 rests

1700, 1:00 rest

200, :30

5x40 sprints, :30 rest

Thursday: had to cut it short because of work. Again.

Foam rolling

Core stuff

BW 18" box squats: 3x10

I am gradually sensing the flutes activating more and more on these, but it's slow; I have a very tough time getting them to do anything.

Leg press: 155 -- 3x10

Chins w/22# assist: 5/5/4

I even had enough left in me to try to come back up for a fifth rep in set 3 but just about died halfway up.

Pushups: 4/3/3

Friday: rest because of working from 3 p.m. to 12:15 a.m. Thursday/Friday and then going back into work first things in the morning

Saturday: pool

200x2, :30 rest

1700, 1:00

5x40 sprints, :30

I must have had more energy than usual yesterday, as I finished this time in just over an hour instead of my usual 1:10.

Today: Foam rolling

Core stuff (man, did I miss this)

BW 18" box squats: 3x10

Felt my knees caving in at times and didn't count any reps on which that happened.

Leg press: 155 -- 3x10

I'm really liking doing these again. My hips feel nice and loose (for me) after doing all of these reps nice and slow.

Chins w/22# assist: 3x5 :)

I just barely got my chin over my hands on the last rep before basically collapsing in a heap. I'm going to give these one more go to get a better last rep in next time before dropping the resistance to 16#.

And you know what's next after I make it through 3x5 @ 16#? Regular, plain old BW. I'm excited. :)

Barbell ankle stretch -- 2x:45

Hip hinges -- 8" out from wall surface -- 3x10

I would never have guessed when starting these that they would fry my hamstrings as much as they do.

Pushups: 4/4/3

I felt ballsy and tried a fourth rep on set 3 but collapsed about halfway up. :P

Deee-lite!!! <3

What you did certainly helps. :)

Today: pool after work

200x2, :30 rests

1700, 1:00

5x40 sprints, :30 rests

GOOD LORD, did I feel like shit tonight. Sluggish. Worn out. I'd forgotten how run-down I always am physically by 7:00ish p.m. ...but I wanted to sleep in this morning for a change. That'll learn me. :(

This morning: Foam rolling

Core stuff

BW 18" box squats -- 3x10

Starting to feel a little easier, but I do have to fight to keep the back in line.

Leg press -- 165 -- 3x10

Chinups w/22# assist -- 5/5/4

I knew in the middle of set one that I wouldn't get 3x5 today. A short night of sleep, combined with swimming 12 hours before doing this, left me with less fuel in the tank than usual.

Hip hinges -- 10" away from wall surface -- 3x10

These were HARD. Will need to do this again a few times before I'm confident in moving on from this distance.

Pushups -- 2/3/4

My hands slipped on set one and I couldn't get back up. Was out of gas a little early; maybe I could have tried a fourth rep in set 2, but I was just about out of gas, proven to me when it took me a good 10 seconds to get all the way up on the last rep of set three.

I was annoyed by this, so I just did some more now before I go to the trivias -- 3/4/4

NEXT time I'll get 3x5 assisted chins and 3x4 pushups. Count on it.

Pool time: in an extreme rarity, first time in more than a year in the pool that it's happened, actually -- I had to cut things short because of overcrowding. Too many people in the pool for the number of lanes it has. I had to wait to get in, and I was so annoyed by whacking my hands and arms against the walls from having half a lane to work with that I gave up after 1000 yards.

Then core stuff.

Morning news anchor has strep throat and was coughing up blood yesterday, so I'm working a weird shift today and tomorrow. Still some good news, though.

Thursday: Foam rolling

Core stuff

18" BW box squats -- 3x10

I had a hell of a time holding the lumbar in position. It rounded quite a bit, and with having to be up at 4 a.m., I was already too tired to do anything about it.

Leg press -- 165 -- 3x10

Hips felt nice and stretchy here. :) Well, they felt like what passes for stretchy for me. Which isn't saying much. :(

OK, now here's the good news...

Chinups -- 22# assist -- 3x5

This was hard as hell with how worn out I was, but damn it, I at least kinda did it just like I said I would. I know I was able to get my forehead above the bar...on a slow grind...at the end of set three, but I don't know if I raised the chin above it. I'll try this one more time Saturday before dropping to the 16# assist. Hopefully the switch back to normal human hours will allow me to satisfy myself with form here.

Barbell ankle stretch -- 2 x :45

Hip hinges -- 10" from wall surface -- 3x10

I'd at least like these to not fry the living hell out of my hamstrings before I advance on these. I mean, I know they're supposed to feel the movement, but not to the point where it feels like they're on fire. Right?

Pushups -- 3x4

Damn it, I said I was going to do this and I did it. Was even satisfied with the form, too. I thought about trying for a fifth rep on each of the first two sets, but I didn't, and I was glad on the third set that I didn't. Must have taken me 6-7 seconds to push back up on the final rep.

Sunday was a rest day. i am having a very hard time keeping up with this log, as my job has basically taken over my life right now and will continue to dominate my life until the person I'm filling in for returns from the respiratory illness that has confined him to his bed and until our new news director recovers enough from a car accident to start work.

Friday: pool

2x200, :30 rests

1700, 1:00 rest

2x200, :30 rests

I just didn't have it in me to sprint after starting work at 5 a.m. (which i will have to do every day until further notice) and working 10 hours.

Saturday: Foam rolling

Core stuff

I can feel the lumbar rounding still, but is it just me or is it taking longer (farther down toward the hole) to happen than it used to?

Leg press -- 165 -- 3x10

Chinups -- 22# assist -- 3x5

FINALLY. 16# assist next time, which is the last step before the training wheels come all the way off.

Hip hinges -- 8" from wall surface -- 3x10

I tried 10" but found myself collapsing backward.

Pushups -- 5/4/4

I went down for a fifth rep on each of the last two sets but couldn't press myself back up on either of them.

Well, I seem to be done with the 10-hour or 11-hour days...for now.

Last Tuesday: Foam rolling

Core stuff

18" BW box squat -- 3x10

Leg press -- 175 -- 3x10

16# assist chinups -- 4/4/3

Barbell 'ankle' stretch -- 2x :45

Pushups -- 5/4/4

Wednesday: Pool

1700; 1:00 rest

Thursday: Foam rolling

Core stuff

18" BW box squat -- 3x10

It's a long process to learn to not take the brunt of these in the lumbar area.

Leg press -- 175 -- 3x10

16# assist chins -- 3x4

Hip hinge -- 8" from wall surface -- 3x10

I really can't lengthen the distance on these until they stop destroying my hamstrings and until I can get through more than three or four reps from 10" away without collapsing backward. Not there yet.

Pushups -- 5/5/3

Friday: Pool

1700; 1:00

Had to cut this short because I was running late for work.

Saturday: Foam rolling

Core stuff

Leg press -- 185 -- 3x10

These were HARRRRRRRRRRRRD. I just barely made it through 10 on the last set. If this had been 3x12, I think I would have failed the last rep or two there.

Tried 10" once again and couldn't swing it. Maybe sometime soon I'll be able to do it. :(

Pushups -- 6/6/4

gijoe has been pushing me on in chat to get through more and more of these. He initially encouraged me to try 3x6 that day. I told him there was no way I could do that yet based on how things have gone, so he suggested shooting for 6/6/4 instead.

Well, I was so drained from this that I collapsed in a heap on the mat for about 3 minutes before I felt like moving again...but I got through it. Thanks gijoe! :)

Today: Pool

200x2; :30

1700; 1:00

200; :30

5x40 sprints; :30