Mama T's Be Better at Things Challenge

Mama T

Gonna keep this short and sweet for now....

THINGS TO BE BETTER AT

Fitness:
Row at least 2x a week

Practice toes to bar & kipping pull-ups at least 3x a week

Diet:

Don't eat like a dum dum (no gluten, no cheese)

Life:
Read 2.5 books. 

EXPLANATIONS OF THE THINGS

- I'm registered for a 2K row competition on Feb. 17th. My current 2K PR is 8:36. I haven't been dedicating much time to rowing outside of programmed WODs, so I'm hoping that by following my CF's rowing club wods, I can get down to 8:25 or 8:30. I'm not sure if that's over or under ambitious, but once I test my 2K at the end of this month, I'll have a better idea of what I can do.

- I had toes to bar at one point, but then stopped practicing and lost it. I'm a big baby and don't practice enough because i'm afraid of hurting/tearing my hands, but I just bought some hand grips, so I can get rid of that excuse. I also want to be able to kip pull-ups to help with WOD times.

- Over the holidays I went pretty lax with my eating, and it caused me to break out and have tummy issues, so I'm hopping back on the paleo wagon. 

- I have a lot of books I want to read, and need to spend more time doing that than watching programs on the internetz. I'm halfway through one book now, hence the .5.

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

Wooooo hooooooooooooo!!!!

Happy New Year, Mama T, my little pumpkin-seed! Let the awesomeness begin!

"Enthusiasm is the great hill-climber." - Elbert Hubbard
Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can enjoy all the things the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

Well! Haven't seen you in a while. You done grown up on me, got yourself all 'modder-eighter-fied.'

Anyway, looks like you're about to run business as usual, kicking ass and taking names. Can't wait to see how you do it! ::follows::

Hi Kish! It definitely has been quite awhile, and I'm a bit ashamed, but hope to make up for lost time. You doing a challenge this go-round?

Wooooo hooooooooooooo!!!!

Happy New Year, Mama T, my little pumpkin-seed! Let the awesomeness begin!

Happy New Year, Seabrizzleee! Man, I've missed you. Awesomeness has begun, woop woop!

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

are you doing crash b? that's so cool.

i think your 2k goal time is pretty reasonable. 

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Awesome to see ya, Mama T!

thanks, catspaw! i've missed me some food pron in my life. this must change, STAT! :)

are you doing crash b? that's so cool.

i think your 2k goal time is pretty reasonable. 

yes i am! a couple people from my gym are, so i feel more comfortable with it. are you doing it?

Heck yeah! Got a link in my sig and everything, like all the other cool kids. :'D

awesome! i'm hoping to take some time tonight to catch up/find people's threads. yours is on the list, Sir Kish of Badass Town.

01-07-13 AM WOD

Man, i did NOT want to get out of bed this morning. I had trouble falling asleep last night, and was doing a great job this morning of reasoning that i should start my day back from vacation by taking it easy. then Mama T stepped in and was all, "yeah, sleeping in is totally the way to be a better rower. nice dedication!" (she's so sassy sometimes) SO I got up, did mah thang, and ran to catch the bus. on the way to the gym, I saw this vid posted on FB, and was super happy I made the right decision to work out.

I did the workout from a Renegade Rowing WOD sometime last week:

3 rds

750m row (race pace)

15 deadlifts (~40% = 95#)

I was a silly goose and didn't time everything. I averaged 3:15 per row, so right on time with my current 2:10 race pace. I'm guessing I got between 11 - 12 minutes. The 1st rd of DLs was unbroken, then 8/7, then 5/10. back to the gym after work for the WOD.

Way to get out of the bed, Mama T.  When my radio blared at 5:0 this morning, I nearly cried.  Then I remembered that today was a deadlift day.  Deadlift day is always a good day!

Lvl 8 Half-Orc Warrior
STR: 25 | DEX: 11.75 | STA: 9.75
CON: 13.5 | WIS: 10.75 | CHA: 3

Challenge | DAI-GURREN | Stop Smoking

You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding. - TMBG

Pay the Iron Price. - Balon Greyjoy

ugh. i feel you on the getting up. when my alarm went off at 5, i was NOT happy.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Squeeeeeeeee! It's teh Mama T! 

Me upon seeing this thread:

tumblr_lqbvrrrRmo1qgcbz5.gif

So... whatcha readin'? 

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

So... whatcha readin'? 

Seconded, except my hair isn't as nice.  And I was going to ask what your half book was going to be?

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

Nice choices! So what are the two next books your are planning on? I think that's a pretty good level up your life goal! Have fun!

thanks! I just finished a YA book called Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver. It was easy reading, which is what I wanted. Up next, I'm doing Jo Nesbo's newest, Phantom. I'm a big fan of Nesbo's books, so have high hopes for this one. After that, Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk.

Way to get out of the bed, Mama T.  When my radio blared at 5:0 this morning, I nearly cried.  Then I remembered that today was a deadlift day.  Deadlift day is always a good day!

hahaha i like the way you think!

Man, rowing is hard work. Takes a lot of guts to go through that, and then go back for a WOD later. Hope Crossfit isn't too mean to you today (but then, it wouldn't be Crossfit, right?).

Also, Rawls from the Wire certainly knows how to give a speech.

CF wasn't too bad, and I felt pretty fresh after a vacay, so it was nice to get back at it. and yeah, rowing is hard, but i like that for some weird reason :)

ugh. i feel you on the getting up. when my alarm went off at 5, i was NOT happy.

just think, if you can wake up at 5 in the winter, you're pretty much invincible. so yay us!

So... whatcha readin'? 

haha thanks Miss Laura & Mr. Power! I'm excited to catch up with your guys' challenge threadzzzzz! hoping to do it today. i anticipate Gif City.

01-07-13 PM WOD

6PM class

2 front squat + 1 split jerk

68# <-- way way too light. should've gone up to 75# at least... next time!

Elizabeth

21-15-9
Clean 65#
Ring Dips (subbed parallettes)

8:03

I should've gone 5# heavier, but feared failed reps, which is silly.

did some more stationary dips after, using 2 orange bands. 5, 4, 4 (failed 5th reps)

01-08-13 AM WOD

6 AM class

High hang power snatch

5x2 53#

then 5 Rounds for time:
4 Power Snatch 53#
12 Chest to bar Pull ups (subbed banded pull-ups, then ring rows)

13:21

I think that's the heaviest snatch weight i've done in a WOD. and I definitely failed reps b/c i wasn't getting under the bar fast enough. switched to split snatch the last round. must. learn. kip pull-ups!

this is adorable, and i needed to share it with the internetz.

adorable-brother-helping-sister-cross-a-

Admiral of AWWW indeed! Dang that is precious. Like, I'm just sitting here and laughing happily at it. THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN.

haha then mission accomplished! this gif is pretty much the definition of cute.

anyway, down to bidness...

01-09-13

Oly class

felt pretty refreshed for this class after taking some time off. from here on out, going to aggressively do higher %s of my max lifts in class to help get my #s up.

Split Snatch
warm-up: 33lb bar x3x3
40x3x3
45x3x2
53x2
58x3x1

Split clean + push press + split jerk
53x2
63x2
63x2
68x2x2

** 68# was previously my max for push press. i focused on keeping my knees out during the dip (i tend to cave in) and it went up pretty easily.

Front squat
63x2x4
73x2x3
85x3x3

** Since i haven't squatted in a while, my hips weren't hurting for these. Focused on depth, which was pretty solid throughout. Need to work on keeping chest up, still.

Upright row to press
33x4x8

Abs (russian twists)

30x3x20

Hypers

25x3x10

Stationary dips

5, 2, 4, 3 (2nd set w/ 1 orange band, the rest w/ 2 bands)

Good to see you doing challenges again! (Not that I'm one to talk since I didn't do the last one and this time I'm all "my goals are ...stuff.")

ha yeah i figured i should hone in on some goals for once. for awhile it was just go with the flow and survive. and i've managed to skim your challenge - so long as you have a place to write down what's going on, it's all good!

01-10-13

rest day. it was awesome.

01-11-13

AM workout - 6AM rowing

6 x 2:00 w/ 1:30 Rest. Goal is to break down intervals based on s/m and focus on form and mental cues.

Interval 1 @ 28 s/m

474m

2:06.5

27s/m

Interval 2 @ 28

2:04.7

28 s/m

Interval 3 @ 30

2:04.2

30 s/m

Interval 4 @ 30

2:05.5

29 s/m

Interval 5 @ 32

2:04.7

32 s/m

Interval 6 @ Open Rating

2:07.9

30 s/m

Avg. split was 2:05ish. I'm pretty okay with how these went, except the last one. I'm trying to focus on my form, my pace consistency, and power. I think I feel most comfortable around 30 s/m, and so stuck w/ that for the 6th interval, though mentally I had checked out and let myself slip on the power a bit. Need to work on that.

Hey there, little darlin'! Am very impressed by the rowage. I love a good workout plan - gets me all excited and crazed. *leaps into air and fist-pumps*

You know, I never asked...are you doing this on water? It doesn't seem like it, since you don't mention the freezing cold wind on the river or anything like that, but thought I'd ask. Back in my whacky college years, I got up at 4:30am to row on Lake Merritt, and vividly remember my team slipping on the icy dock while carrying an eight. Good times.

"Enthusiasm is the great hill-climber." - Elbert Hubbard
Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can enjoy all the things the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines