Challenge newbie

JustKathy

Hello Assassins! For my first ever challenge, I thought that Assassin would be best seeing as I like fast paced, high intensity circuit training with a lot of variety. I am a regualr exerciser (about 4 times per week), and I would consider myself to be a fit person. I do have some moves that I hate doing so I avoid them. As part of the challenge, I'm going to tackle my least favorites. My goals are as follows:

1. Fitness goal- The dreaded pushup! I currently do pushups as part of my regular workout routine, but I am looking to improve in this area seeing that it's not really my strong suit. My goal for the challenge is to be able to do 18 pushups in one set. I currently do about 10. Today I did 12, but that's because I was fresh and energetic. I think it's lofty but not unattainable. I usually work out about 4 times per week, so I'm going to do different pushup variations to get me to the goal.

Score: A+: reach 18 pushups

A-: 17 pushups

B: 15-16 pushups

C: 14 pushups

D: 13 pushups

F: 12 pushups

2. Fitness goal- Another one of my very favorites: BURPEES. I do not like this exercise, but I'm determined to conquer it. My goal is to be able to complete 11 burpees in 30 seconds. I workout mostly through timed intervals, and I currently can do 5 burpees very quickly, but I really start to slow down towards the end of a 30 second interval. I usally end at about 7-8.

Score: A+: 11 burpees

B: 10 burpees

C: 9 burpees

D: 8 burpees

F: 7 burpees

3. Fitness goal- My final favorite: side plank. I love doing most core exercises and have become quite good at them in the past few years, but I avoid this one like the plauge. I hate it because it's so much more difficult than other plank work. My goal is to be able to hold side plank (one side after the other) for 30 seconds each. I currently can hold for 15 seconds, but I usually break shortly about that time. This is one I'm definitely going to have to work up to which means it must be incorporated into my workouts regularly!

Score: A+: 30 seconds

B: 25-29 seconds

C: 20-24 seconds

D: 18 seconds

F: less than 18 seconds

4. Life goal- Read at least 2 books for FUN in the next 6 weeks. As a middle school and high school Social Studies teacher, my job is to read and write. I love to read, but most of the time in the evening and on the weekends, I'm not inspired to pick up a book because it's what I do all day. I used to be part of a book club but am no longer, so I'm not acountable to read anything in a set amount of time.

Score: A+: read 2 or more books

C: read 1 book

F: read 0 books

Ok, ready, set, go!

Oh the dreaded side plank! It's on my goal list as well for this challenge!

I actually was able to get into position and hold for a few seconds today... that's a big improvement over my normal (falling as I attempt to get into position!).

Great goals!  Have fun with it!

"Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try." - YodaWood Elf Assassin - Level 3

STR 2 * DEX 2 * STA 2 * CON 3 * WIS 3 * CHA 3

Twitter: Woodchic Blog: Our Family Farm Life

Great job! Keep rocking out those push ups! You got this!

♣IRISHodabred♣, Level 2 Celtic Hound Archon Ranger: STR 8|DEX 5|STA 6|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 6

2nd Challenge Log: Will Squat for...

1st Challenge Log: Gym Class Hero Challenge

“Discipline Is Choosing Between What You Want Now And What You Want Most.â€

"You have to do what others won't to achieve what others don't"

"Do or do not, there is no try"

@GradSchoolVixen- Thanks so much for liking my format. I'm a teacher, so it was easy for me to set up an assessment... I have lots of practice!

So this weekend I was away so I didn't address my goals very much. I did a lot of walking, but that was about it. Back to it tomorrow after work

Good workout today. Boot camp style based just on body weight.

1. Jumping jacks (or other high intensity cardi) 1 minute

2. Lunges 1 minute

3. Pushups 1 minute

4. Bicycle crunches (or other core moves) 1 minite

5. Squats 1 minute

Repeat circuit 3 times

I changed up some of the core work to focus on plank- side plank is still about 15 seconds

Pushups hold steady at 14, but then I did t-pushups, walking planks, incline pushups, and modified close hands pushups to keep going

It has been a while since I focused on body weight boot camp. I liked the format because you could choose any variations.

Good workout today. Boot camp style based just on body weight.

1. Jumping jacks (or other high intensity cardi) 1 minute

2. Lunges 1 minute

3. Pushups 1 minute

4. Bicycle crunches (or other core moves) 1 minite

5. Squats 1 minute

Repeat circuit 3 times

I changed up some of the core work to focus on plank- side plank is still about 15 seconds

Pushups hold steady at 14, but then I did t-pushups, walking planks, incline pushups, and modified close hands pushups to keep going

It has been a while since I focused on body weight boot camp. I liked the format because you could choose any variations.

As always, you're a maniac when you work out! Keep it up hun! You'll be putting those pushups in a headlock soon enough!

♣IRISHodabred♣, Level 2 Celtic Hound Archon Ranger: STR 8|DEX 5|STA 6|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 6

Looks like you are doing great!! you will probably blow right past your goals :)

BlackWidowEowyn

Lvl 6 Hobbit Assassin

"Obstacles can't stop you, problems can't stop you. Most of all, other people can't stop you. Only you can stop you. " – J. Gitomer

"A vision of a champion is someone who is bent over drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching. "– Anson Dorrance

My kick in the Pants, #1, #2, #3, #4, #5

@missmajachere

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! I have not blown past the goals, but hopefully I will in 5 weeks. I am in love with Audrey Hepburn so she's the only avatar I could have. You're right, IRISHodabread, I am a maniac when I workout sometimes much to my disappointment after the fact when I'm exhausted.

Today's workout- typical circuit training with a 5-4-3-2-1 plan

5 minutes: jumping jacks, burpees, mountain climbers, butt kicks, high knees, jumping lunges (pushing really hard on the cardio for a short amount of time is my fav)- 30 second intervals

4 minutes: lunges, core work, lunges, core work (1 minute each)

3 minutes: 10 pushups, 10 dips, 10 pushups, 10 dips

2 minutes: jumping squats, squats, jumping squats, squats- 30 second intervals

1 minute: plank

I also ended with 5 extra burpees- I was tired by the end of 20 minutes which it actually takes me to do this going from move to move and resetting the timer, etc

I did 8 burpees in 30 seconds today!

Workout update:

Sunday 1/20- Great workout! 6 circuits total- 3 30 second intervals of high intensity cardio and 3 30 second strenth intervals. In the strength part of the circuit I try to hit every major muscle group. For me, this is a great format because I don't get too tired of the plyometrics to lose steam seeing that I only do 3 intervals before a break. It's really made a difference in carrying the intensity through the whole workout. I did 15 pushups this day!

Today 1/22- Boot camp workout

3 rounds of : 1 minute jumping jacks/running/whatever cardio

1 minute pushups (I vary the types)

1 minute lunges

1 minute plank- also varied

1 minute squats- I split this one up into half jump squats and half regular squats

At the end of the workout I added about 7 minutes of strength for arms with light weight. I met a my goal of the 30 seconds each side plank!

Workout update:

Sunday 1/20- Great workout! 6 circuits total- 3 30 second intervals of high intensity cardio and 3 30 second strenth intervals. In the strength part of the circuit I try to hit every major muscle group. For me, this is a great format because I don't get too tired of the plyometrics to lose steam seeing that I only do 3 intervals before a break. It's really made a difference in carrying the intensity through the whole workout. I did 15 pushups this day!

Today 1/22- Boot camp workout

3 rounds of : 1 minute jumping jacks/running/whatever cardio

1 minute pushups (I vary the types)

1 minute lunges

1 minute plank- also varied

1 minute squats- I split this one up into half jump squats and half regular squats

At the end of the workout I added about 7 minutes of strength for arms with light weight. I met a my goal of the 30 seconds each side plank!

Awesome work on the side plank! I'm proud of ya! I'm happy you're an Assassin and not a Ranger because your posts would make me look bad. Keep it up!

That is not true, but thanks for the encouragement just the same :)

Workout update: Thursday 1/24

HIIT training cardio and strength- about 25 minutes. That is pretty much the max I should do. I was exhausted after! I feel like side plank goal has been achieved! I've done it a couple of workouts in a row. Yay!

Workout 1/26

Bootcamp workout- I forgot how much I love body weight boot camp.

5 minutes high intensity cardio

3 minutes squats (some jump squats in there too)

3 minutes lunges- forward, reverse and floating (those are brutal)

3 minutes pushups- holding steady at 15 pushups max

3 minutes plank- I add variations in there as well

5 minutes hand weight arm work at the end

I don't feel like I rest a lot during this, but with going from different exercises, this workout took me about 27 minutes.

workout today, 1/27

Cardio to get the blood going- 10 x 30 second intervals (jumping jacks, butt kicks, high knees, burpees, squat jumps, lunge jumps)

I did 10.5 burpees in 30 seconds- I'm almost there!

Thanks to my awesome husband, I now own a medicine ball! I've been wanting one for a long time, and there was one waiting for me when I got home after work on Friday :) I couldn't wait to use it.

Medicine Ball Circuit- 30 second intervals

1. Wood Chop- both sides

2. Uneven pushups- hard

3. Squat with bicep curl

4. Walking lunge with ball

5. Plank with hands on ball

6. Wall sit and twist- very hard

7. Russian twists

8. Sit up extension with ball

9. Squat press and tricep extension

It was more difficult than I thought it would be.

I really need to check how to use medecine ball. I see them in every gym and I don't have a clue how to use them beside rolling it toward someone else bowling style :P

Great workouts by the way! Keep it on!

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

workout today, 1/27

Cardio to get the blood going- 10 x 30 second intervals (jumping jacks, butt kicks, high knees, burpees, squat jumps, lunge jumps)

I did 10.5 burpees in 30 seconds- I'm almost there!

Thanks to my awesome husband, I now own a medicine ball! I've been wanting one for a long time, and there was one waiting for me when I got home after work on Friday :) I couldn't wait to use it.

Medicine Ball Circuit- 30 second intervals

1. Wood Chop- both sides

2. Uneven pushups- hard

3. Squat with bicep curl

4. Walking lunge with ball

5. Plank with hands on ball

6. Wall sit and twist- very hard

7. Russian twists

8. Sit up extension with ball

9. Squat press and tricep extension

It was more difficult than I thought it would be.

Thanks for the shoutout! I knew you'd be pumped and I'm glad you'll enjoy a whole new world of exercises with it. Keep up the great work and maybe you'll find some additional rewards waiting for you...

Interesting...

Workout update for 1/28

Bodyweight bootcamp- about 25-30 minutes. Typical- nothing special to report

Workout 1/30

Cardio cicuit

Jumping jacks- 1 minute

Butt kicks- 1 minute

Skater jumps- 30 sec

Boxer shuffle with jabs- 1 minute

Burpees- 30 sec

Jump rope- 30 sec

Jump squats- 30 sec

Strength cicuit- 2x - 30 sec intervals

Squat push and press

Step-ups

Mountain Climber

Twisting plank

Floating lunge with weight

Squat and one arm swing

Lunge rows

Plank row and leg lift

Dumbell pushups

Tricep extensions

I met one goal today- 11 Burpees in 30 seconds. It was so hard, but I pushed through!

Workout 2/2:

Cardio circuit: 2x- 30 second intervals

Jumping jacks

Burpees

Skater jumps

Butt kicks

Squat jumps

Medicine Ball ciruit- 2x- 30 seconod intervals

Wood chops (both sides)

Uneven pushups

Squat and curl

Walking lunges

Plank with hands on ball- 1:30 total

Plank with feet on ball- 30 seconds total

Wall sit and twist

Russian twist

Arm extension sit ups

Squat and press with tricep extension

Also did 1 minute side plank- 30 seconds each side

1 minute shoulder press

1 minute sword pull

Great workout today! Did 11 burpees in 30 seconds again!

Welcome to the Assassins.. anyone who puts Burpees as part of their goals is OK in my book! just for that you get this video :)

Assassin: Rank: 6 (Disciple) STR: 10 DEX: 20 STA: 7 CON: 6 WIS: 6 CHA: 5
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha
Height: 5'9" Weight: 215lbs Age: 34
|RW's Chronicle(log)| RW's Introduction|Fitocracy|Challenge|

Here's my latest update:

My workouts are roughly the same- bootcamp, high intensity cardio mixed with some strength training. I have met all my fitness goals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have done 30 second side planks numerous times, and I have done 11 burpees in 30 seconds and 18 pushups in one set at least twice. Once I do something twice, I think that counts! Now I just have to keep going. My life goal on the other hand is not accomplished yet. I have complete one book, Rules of Civility which was wonderful. Now I'm working on the second, but it will be done by Moday!

Congrats on hitting your goals! Great numbers 11 burpees in 30 sec. -impressive!

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines