A View From The Bottom

goodash

Lets see. What am I supposed to write here? Middle aged male who is way out of shape. Used to be a fitness fanatic but years at a desk job will ruin one. Old school nerd. First RPG D&D Basic set with the die that you had to use the wax crayon on. First computer a Commodore Vic 20 with 20 KILObytes of memory. 

Goals for first 6 week challenge:

1. Stop smoking (last cig was at 18:30 on 4/1/2012 so over 2 day into this one)

2. Stop Drinking Cola (more difficult than smokes it seems)

3. Turn working out back into a habit.

Methodology

1. Mostly using Cold turkey approach to quitting with an e-cigarette for when the cravings are bad.  

2. Will be switching back to unsweetened Ice Tea starting tomorrow morning.

3. Following the lvl 1 rookie plan for working out tomorrow morning while also incorporating Xbox Kinect Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012 for warm up and aerobic.

4. Wife and I will be going back on the Paleo Diet starting tomorrow. 

I will update this with stats as I have them.

First day, everything is going ok. Was able to complete all the reps and sets outlined in the workout. Not that I flew through like a graceful swan. It was an effort but was accomplished. This is day 3 with no smokes and day 1 with no soda. Let me tell you, the soda thing is kicking my butt. Keep starting to fall asleep. But I will tough it out. Diet has been on the rabbit side so far today. Apple, bananas, carrots. But tonight will be meat.

Weighed myself this morning before working out

310#

49.9% body fat

36.5% water weight.

and that is what the bottom looks like. 

Hey goodash! I like your goals! It great to see someone quit smoking! I've been there and I wish you luck! I am super happy to see that your wife is on board too! That's what makes it so much easier. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Level 1 Half-Elf Ranger

STR: 2 CON: 1.5 DEX: 3 STA: 1.5 WIS: 4 CHA: 3

Challenge!!

If strength is justice, then is powerlessness a crime?

Welcome to the Rangers, goodash!  Fight off that Evil Ash and stay away from those nasty cigarettes and coke!  Give yourself a way to track that "last one" with a calendar and put it somewhere you see it every day (hell, put multiple up!).  The more days you string together, the more confident you will feel when you see that calendar.  And confidence is key when fighting urges.  Believe in yourself and win that "battle within"!

Journey to You: a Coaching and Mentoring Blog

World 6 Level 1 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2021 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Spoiler

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Black Belt Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 6 Level 1 Stats: STR 144.0 | DEX 152.25 | STA 145.5 | CON 146.0 | WIS 149.0 | CHA 141.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

World 5 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

Well, it is near the end of the 6 weeks and some parts have been a dismal failure while other have been a blazing success. Due to the very odd hours for my work (can you say 3hrs of commute a day?) the working out has not been so good. I started out strong but then several weeks of 18hr work days kind of put the Kibosh to that. Soda is a hit and a miss. But the big thing is that as of right now I am 39days 20hrs and 55min without a smoke. I have an app. So one of the goals was meet with resounding success. I am also doing pretty well with the paleo diet. My wife is a task master about it and even though I have not been working out and I quit smoking, I have still lost 10.5lbs. 

I hope that my second 6 week challenge goes as well and I am able to add something else to the "Win" column.

Well, it is near the end of the 6 weeks and some parts have been a dismal failure while other have been a blazing success. Due to the very odd hours for my work (can you say 3hrs of commute a day?) the working out has not been so good. I started out strong but then several weeks of 18hr work days kind of put the Kibosh to that. Soda is a hit and a miss. But the big thing is that as of right now I am 39days 20hrs and 55min without a smoke. I have an app. So one of the goals was meet with resounding success. I am also doing pretty well with the paleo diet. My wife is a task master about it and even though I have not been working out and I quit smoking, I have still lost 10.5lbs. 

I hope that my second 6 week challenge goes as well and I am able to add something else to the "Win" column.

Failures are part of the process.  Learn from it, move on, and never give up! 

And HELL YEAH on the no smokes!  Great job!  Your turning that counter into a calendar.  Don't ever let it zero. 

Journey to You: a Coaching and Mentoring Blog

World 6 Level 1 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2021 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Spoiler

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Black Belt Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 6 Level 1 Stats: STR 144.0 | DEX 152.25 | STA 145.5 | CON 146.0 | WIS 149.0 | CHA 141.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

World 5 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

Great job on the smoking! Over the years of seeing people TRY to quit and fail, I've developed the habit of not congratulating them on quitting until 5 weeks without a smoke. I can officially say, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Just think of the money you'll save and how much better you'll feel after the smoke is mostly gone from your system!

Soda has a similar effect as well. I went from 5-8 cans a day a couple months ago to nothing now, and feel so much better! No more excess sugar and caffeine. Its a big change! Even without the workouts, these changes you are making are amazing and you deserve to feel good about them!

“The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?† 
 -Billy Connoly , The Boondock saints
Level 2 Warrior

Thanks Remoth. I know I can do the soda if I only try. but as to the money that I have saved...according to my handy dandy quit smoking app, as of right now it has been 41D 21hr and 34min since I quit. That is a total of 1256.97 smokes not smoked and $355.10 saved. With that extra money I am going to treat myself and go buy that motorized base for the robot I am trying to build. Yes I am that much of a geek.

Nice! Now think of that over the course of a year! 10! It's nothing to sneeze at. Of course you can do it! If I did, anyone can. You'll only see good things by cutting these habits.

Nuthin wrong with having a robot. For this spring/summer, I want to get a R/C truck. You know, the 60mph kind. Haha. Head to the local skate park and let 'er rip!!

“The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?† 
 -Billy Connoly , The Boondock saints
Level 2 Warrior

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines