How I made my diet my b*tch - Chapter 1. Pika24

Pika24

Here goes nothing! I know I'm only supposed to pick 3 goals.. there's just so much in my life that I want to change!  :numbness: I should probably look into accountability partners..

NUTRITION

• Go full on Paleo for 6 weeks. I have already cut out grains and processed junk from my diet. Refined sugar so far has been my kryptonite - I'm such a coffee and chocolate junkie! - but I'm hoping honey and stevia sweetner will help. +0.5 WIS.
  • STOP with the drinking already! No booze. I have grounded myself until I can act like an adult with the stuff (a year for starters). New Year's was not kind to me! One week down - 51 to go  :tyrannosaurus:  +0.5 WIS.
  • Prevent binge eating. Go 6 weeks without an incident. Yikes. I need an all-out plan of assault for this one:
  1. Keep trigger foods out of the apartment. I either won't buy them in the first place or I will keep them at work / in my car. Not buying anything in bulk seems to help too.
  2. Keep a journal on the fridge and write what is tumbling through my brain when the urge hits: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/writing-therapy/#axzz2HFhQO0PL
  3. Start a new habit everyday of treating myself as soon as I walk into my apartment after my work day (my prime time to chow down). I know this is too vague for now - but I'm not sure of how to reward myself without food. Some ideas so far are: play / dance, drink tea, skate, read, draw / design something, play video games. Anyone else have an idea? Definitely needs to be something fun or relaxing after a tiring work day. http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/09/04/power-of-habit/
  4. Eat all meals & snacks at the table - not in front of the TV.

+ 1 WIS.

EXERCISE

• My friend talked me into joining a women's running group that is training for a half-marathon. Sighhhh. But I know having a running partner will keep me on track! The first 6 weeks of the schedule look like this: Sundays - recovery walk (half hour), Tuesdays & Thursdays - group jog (45 min), Saturday - team training run (starting at 3 miles, ending up at 6 by the end of 6 weeks). The half-marathon is in April! +1 CON, +1 STA.
  • Beginner circuit workout 3x per week. My current routine is:

3 CIRCUITS:

*22 squats

*12 wall pushups

*22 lunges

*17 dumbell rows

*22 sec plank

*55 jumping jacks

My goal for this challenge is:

3 CIRCUITS:

*40 squats

*20 wall pushups

*40 lunges

*20 dumbell rows

*40 sec plank

*100 jumping jacks

+1 STR.

PLAY

• Nia class every other week. Me trying to dance is hilarious! And the people are good fun. +1 DEX. +1 CHA.
  • Get down with nature once a week. I love hiking and don't do it enough. And considering all my new walking / running goals, this one should be an easy win. +0.5 WIS.

And that's it! Do you guys think I'm being realistic enough? :numbness: I know I set the bar pretty high in a few areas.. but I know I can do it!

Ohh geez.. there's nothing like posting pics of my gut to a bunch of strangers for motivation!! Ah well - cheers to 2013!

50ea387f9db01_week1A.jpg50ea38a10b75c_week1B.jpg

Level 2 human airbender / adventurerSTR 2.9 | DEX 4 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 3.7 | CHA 3

Challenge 1 | Challenge 2

Hey I great goals! I know where you come from re the alcohol thing. I am cutting it at the mo and going hard on paleo. If you want an acountability buddy feel free to add me. I think it will be tough but I am determined to do it. i know it really works for me to I NEED to stick with it.

livlovra Level 2 Adventurer with a Warrior heart

STA 4/STR 8/DEX 3/CON 8/WIS 3.75 + 1/CHA 4.75

My 2nd 6 Week Challenge

Thanks everyone! Yeah it's like Steve says - the best diet is the one you can stick with. I tend to let one or two mistakes snowball and start the dangerous line of thinking, "well, I already cheated.. might as well have another.." enough of that nonsense! But so far I am loving Paleo.

Sounds good RE: the accountability buddy thing! Do you know how to add someone?

Day 1 went well for me.. I actually got a long walk in this morning before work and am surprised at how much more energy I had throughout the day! Did not feel up to cooking, so I picked up a rotisserie chicken at the grocery. Yum!

Level 2 human airbender / adventurerSTR 2.9 | DEX 4 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 3.7 | CHA 3

Thanks!! Time for an update already. #procrastinator

EXERCISE: I'm going to call this a success so far this week. I've done 2/3 of my beginner's circuit routine; decided to move from wall push-ups to floor push-ups since they were becoming too easy. I instantly regretted it - I have old granny arms! - but I'm going to press on with it. Woke up at 6:00am Wednesday and Thursday to get my jogging in (I thought they would be group runs but I was wrong   :numbness: ) and have my first team jog tomorrow at 7:00am. I'm excited to run with my friend - I'm terrible at pushing myself when I go alone! Also, my favorite route is along the bay and I had several dolphin spottings (one even swam next to me for a good 5 min or so!!  :smile-new: ).

NUTRITION: So far so good. Have been 100% paleo. I did have a moment last night with strong binge urges, and I stuck to my plan of writing thoughts down in my journal. I need to get at the root of this problem and do more than treat the symptoms! I ate quite a large serving of rotisserie chicken, but nothing else - definitely a win! I've found I'm consuming too many fruits and nuts versus vegetables - sweet and salty.. so hard to resist! - so I'm going to keep that in mind next time I'm at the grocery.

PLAY: Have not gotten to this one yet this week :| Hopefully I can get a nice long walk at the beach in tomorrow!

Oh and my sister pointed out that my challenge goal points don't add up to 15, so here are my adjustments:

NUTRITION

• Go full on Paleo for 6 weeks. I have already cut out grains and processed junk from my diet. Refined sugar so far has been my kryptonite - I'm such a coffee and chocolate junkie! - but I'm hoping honey and stevia sweetner will help. +2 WIS.
  • STOP with the drinking already! No booze. I have grounded myself until I can act like an adult with the stuff (a year for starters). New Year's was not kind to me! One week down - 51 to go   :tyrannosaurus:  +1 WIS.
  • Prevent binge eating. Go 6 weeks without an incident. Yikes. I need an all-out plan of assault for this one: +1 WIS.

EXERCISE

• My friend talked me into joining a women's running group that is training for a half-marathon. Sighhhh. But I know having a running partner will keep me on track! The first 6 weeks of the schedule look like this: Sundays - recovery walk (half hour), Tuesdays & Thursdays - group jog (45 min), Saturday - team training run (starting at 3 miles, ending up at 6 by the end of 6 weeks). The half-marathon is in April! +1 CON, +3 STA.
  • Beginner circuit workout 3x per week.+3 STR.

PLAY

• Nia class every other week. Me trying to dance is hilarious! And the people are good fun. +1 DEX. +2 CHA.
  • Get down with nature once a week. I love hiking and don't do it enough. And considering all my new walking / running goals, this one should be an easy win. +1 WIS.

WOW! Thats great ambition!  

How's it going so far? Are you enjoying paleo? And have you done any of the running sessions yet?

Good luck!

Jo

Race: Hobbit (Everyone needs 2nd Breakfast)

Level 4

Class: Adventurer

Strength: 8.5 Dexterity: 4 Stamina: 16.5 Constitution: 14 Wisdom: 9 Charisma: 4.5

Jo2926 - Stumbling back towards the light

Goal 1 Progress = 2/42
Goal 2 Progress = 3/24
Goal 3 Progress = 1/18
Goal 4 Progress =2 /42

WOW! Thats great ambition!  

How's it going so far? Are you enjoying paleo? And have you done any of the running sessions yet?

Good luck!

Jo

Thanks! So far I LOVE paleo - I was on a similar diet before that was pretty much the same thing (17 day diet), but anti-fat :( my poor muscle cells! And I honestly do feel so much better when I don't have breads and processed garbage. It's funny how much that stuff was affecting me without me even noticing at the time! Any diet where you can eat bacon is a diet worth looking into ;)

The runs so far are going well! I went twice on my own on weekdays, and then had my first team training session this morning. I was a little nervous, but they broke up this first session into intervals so that people aren't intimidated by the distance. AND as an added bonus, our route ends right at the Saturday farmer's market so I picked up a bunch of veggies while I was there for cheap. So fun!!

Not officially, I love jumping onto and climbing all kinds of stuff.  I don't have the time to go and explore the concrete jungle like some of those guys do.  I absolutely love the kind of physical accomplishments those people do though!

I gotcha! Yeah some of the videos I've seen on it are pretty amazing. Reminds me of Jackie Chan

The farmers market sounds lovely. They always have such a nice array of unusual veg - I get bored of supermarket staples. 

Hope the push ups are going OK. Have you tried something between wall and floor? Like a desk or stairs? (I am using the stairs moving my hands down one step at a time. 

Jo

Level 4

Strength: 8.5 Dexterity: 4 Stamina: 16.5 Constitution: 14 Wisdom: 9 Charisma: 4.5

Goal 1 Progress = 2/42
Goal 2 Progress = 3/24
Goal 3 Progress = 1/18
Goal 4 Progress =2 /42

The farmers market sounds lovely. They always have such a nice array of unusual veg - I get bored of supermarket staples. 

Hope the push ups are going OK. Have you tried something between wall and floor? Like a desk or stairs? (I am using the stairs moving my hands down one step at a time. 

Jo

Great idea for push ups Jo! 

Minotaur Assassin

Level 3:

STR 5.5

DEX 3

STA 6

CON 4

WIS 1

CHA 2

Challenge 1, Challenge 2 Shadows Fall Mojo Log

Run for those who want to and cannot.

Jo

LOVE that idea for push-ups! I'm totally stealing it!!! Thanks, Jo!!!

Level 1 Centaur Scout / Ranger

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 1 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Challenge 1 Challenge 2 Challenge 3 Accountability Spreadsheet   Current challenge

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

~Earl Nightingale

I'm sure any surface which is roughly solid will work! (When I first started I used the counter in the bathroom at work as it was higher than mine at home!)

How did your week go?

Level 4

Goal 1 Progress = 2/42
Goal 2 Progress = 3/24
Goal 3 Progress = 1/18
Goal 4 Progress =2 /42

Well to be honest, yesterday was a bit rough. I did have a binge eating incident... I ate so much that my stomach hurt really badly. But on the plus side, everything that went down was all paleo (a little rotisserie chicken, entire jar of applesauce, bowl of guacamole from 2 avocados, apple).. so it's good that I didn't have any fried foods or ice cream and all that to eat. Currently struggling with the 'I'M A FAILURE!!' thoughts that always come immediately after.. but I decided not to let this incident derail me - I got up this morning and still did my workout, and tomorrow morning I'm jogging with a friend. Trying not to let this buck my schedule.

I also decided today that I'm going to make an appointment to see a dr... I've been having this binging issue for over a year now, thinking I can fix it on my own. What's that definition of insanity - repeating the same behavior and expecting different results? lol. CLEARLY it's not working! So.. yeah. Trying to stay positive ;)

Good plan going to see the Doctor, I really hope they can help.

Does anything trigger the binge? (Please ignore this question if you don't want to discuss) I hope you are feeling a bit better about it now, you are not a failure, getting up and carrying on after we slip up is the most important part of any journey and shows REAL strength. 

jo

Level 4

Goal 1 Progress = 2/42
Goal 2 Progress = 3/24
Goal 3 Progress = 1/18
Goal 4 Progress =2 /42

Good plan going to see the Doctor, I really hope they can help.

Does anything trigger the binge? (Please ignore this question if you don't want to discuss) I hope you are feeling a bit better about it now, you are not a failure, getting up and carrying on after we slip up is the most important part of any journey and shows REAL strength. 

jo

Thanks - and too true!! I have noticed several factors that can help lead up to a binge:

• Being super stressed with work (which I am this week)
  • Eating in front of the TV
  • Keeping foods in large quantities in my apartment... Or cooking a large batch of food with multiple servings (usually my thinking is I'll save for lunches / freeze for another day, but I'm more likely to tear through it  :grief: )

I tried to incorporate these into my challenge goals but failed in a few areas. Time to pick myself up and keep going!

These are definitely a few causes but not the deep-rooted problems that must exist.. I'd be in therapy if I could afford it! I'm going to keep up with journaling when I feel a craving come on in the meantime because that seemed to help in the past, along with going to the Dr.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines