Crossfit on The Biggest Loser!

The best thing Biggest Loser does is show that really, truly, morbidly obese that it CAN be done.  It just takes a lot of work.  The only problem is, folks think they should be losing that much weight at home when they don't have 6-8 hours a day to spend at a gym.

I definitely agree that they should show a lot more of what they consider "behind the scenes".  I understand they have nutritionists, counselors, etc.  Another thing they do wrong (in my opinion) is work them to the point they are utterly unable to keep good form.  I'm shocked they haven't had more injuries (although they've had some doozies).

I agree with you that the best thing the show does is get people off the couch- obease and fit.  I've never been that heavy, but I watch the show and think to myself "that 400lb dude just ran on a treadmill for 20 minutes... I could probably get up and do my squats at least".

As for the injuries... So many people were falling off treadmills on the first night that it was making me seriously nervous.  I am surprised as heck that more of those people didn't sustain massive injuries.  Then again, there's already been quite a few who have been declared "medically unfit" to compete in the challenges. Hmmm.

"Truth is eternal, knowledge is changeable - it is disastrous to confuse the two." -Madeleine L'Engle

I agree with you that the best thing the show does is get people off the couch- obease and fit.  I've never been that heavy, but I watch the show and think to myself "that 400lb dude just ran on a treadmill for 20 minutes... I could probably get up and do my squats at least".

As for the injuries... So many people were falling off treadmills on the first night that it was making me seriously nervous.  I am surprised as heck that more of those people didn't sustain massive injuries.  Then again, there's already been quite a few who have been declared "medically unfit" to compete in the challenges. Hmmm.

I'm really, really close to being eligible (and so was hubby at one time, quite frankly).  Every time I hear myself say "You know, if I gained that 20 pounds back, maybe I could get on the show and lose it all at once and be done with it!"

Then I do a little reality check and keep trying to keep up with what I'm doing.  Slower?  Yes.  But I'm pretty sure I don't want to check out of life for 6 months either.

My current goals are basically to keep my food in check and work up to 5 hours of workouts a week.  The food is the hardest (my new job involves about 70% travel) - but I'm making strides on getting my fat ass out of bed and working out.  Just need to work on getting it out of bed a bit earlier so I can work out longer LOL.

I'm still inspired by BL and I would totally workout with any of the coaches if given the opportunity.

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

Even after getitng in so much better shape, it still inspires me. Most seasons I have a thing wehre I do some sort of wokrout on the commercials. I haven't started it for this one because I'm just too damn sore from starting lifting again, but once that goes away I'll do 20 push ups every commercial.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Even after getitng in so much better shape, it still inspires me. Most seasons I have a thing wehre I do some sort of wokrout on the commercials. I haven't started it for this one because I'm just too damn sore from starting lifting again, but once that goes away I'll do 20 push ups every commercial.

I picked this up on another site. It's based on drinking games, but exercise instead:

Someone says "Weight loss journey" = 10 Squats to calf raise

Someone says "Pounds"= 10 Jumping jacks

Someone says "Challenge" = 10 Push-ups  

Crying =10 Bicycle kicks

Puking = 10 burpees

First night was brutal after heavy lifting that morning.

HALF-OGRE
Level 3 Ranger / Level 1 Sexy Grandpa

Str: 10.75 Dex: 11 Sta: 9.25 Con: 7.5 Wis: 6.75 Cha: 5.75

"The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want most for what you want right nowâ€. ― Zig Ziglar

Introduction
Current 6 week challenge
My workout log

Specialization is for insects. Do all the things!

Limiting calorie (via fat) intake to lose weight is not "odd".  It is in fact normal.  All other approaches are odd.

Cooking oil and avocado are calorie expenisive foods.  On top of that typically very unnecessary.  Excessive use of cooking oil is a major source of hidden calories in the western diet.  Avocado on a sandwich is no better than a big fat glop of mayo.

I didn't mean that limiting calories is odd, and I agree it's not. What's odd is that what are usually recommended food choices for eating well are dismissed without any explaination. That creates confusion when people are told by other sources that they should be eating those foods.

But when the only measure of success on the show is pounds lost (which I'm not a fan of either), it does make sense. I've always wished that that body fat percentage was a factor as well.

It just drives me crazy that the show claims to be this great thing that wants to help this obesity crisis, and they could be doing so much more. But that wouldn't make it the entertaining reality drama fest that creates ratings. It's all about ratings.

I've never watched this show, but threw it on Hulu just now... I am such a sap, the kids are actually making me cry, they're so excited to get going.  I don't have a tv and I absolutely get emotionally invested even though I know it's edited for the drama.  And holy cow.  I cannot, no way, do the workout they are showing on the first day.  And I've been active and am a "healthy" weight.  Hardcore!  Bob is awesome.  Jillian scares me.  Ha.

Jimmie that game is awesome :)

I picked this up on another site. It's based on drinking games, but exercise instead:

Someone says "Weight loss journey" = 10 Squats to calf raise

Someone says "Pounds"= 10 Jumping jacks

Someone says "Challenge" = 10 Push-ups  

Crying =10 Bicycle kicks

Puking = 10 burpees

First night was brutal after heavy lifting that morning.

Best Ideas ever.  I forsee a lot of bicycle kicks in my future. Thank you.

I'm really, really close to being eligible (and so was hubby at one time, quite frankly).  Every time I hear myself say "You know, if I gained that 20 pounds back, maybe I could get on the show and lose it all at once and be done with it!"

Then I do a little reality check and keep trying to keep up with what I'm doing.  Slower?  Yes.  But I'm pretty sure I don't want to check out of life for 6 months either.

My current goals are basically to keep my food in check and work up to 5 hours of workouts a week.  The food is the hardest (my new job involves about 70% travel) - but I'm making strides on getting my fat ass out of bed and working out.  Just need to work on getting it out of bed a bit earlier so I can work out longer LOL.

I'm still inspired by BL and I would totally workout with any of the coaches if given the opportunity.

A) I'm so glad you are such a strong woman to give yourself a reality check and go forward without the show.  That was something that struck me as odd this season - people are using the show as a crutch now, and not just for inspiration.  That TC guy told his son for two years that he would lose weight, and he didn't until going on BL.  Granted, I don't know his life story, but if you're gonna make a promise like that, get started even if you didn't get accepted on the show.

B) I hear you on the food and on the road thing - I work 12 hours a day, 3 days a week and 8 hours two days a week (I teach elementary and tutor after school 3 days a week)... the most miserable thing has been keeping myself prepped with a healthy snack so that I don't fall into eating something crummy just because its available.  I've taken to putting one or two ounces of raw almonds in my pocket so that I have something filling to munch on when I get desperate.  Being prepared is a huge lifesaver.

Keep going forward, 20lbs on your own is awesome!

"Truth is eternal, knowledge is changeable - it is disastrous to confuse the two." -Madeleine L'Engle