• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Spider

Spider's Life 2.0

I can't quit the Druids! It's so nice here!

Challenge Four: Life 2.0

1) Yoga 5 days a week - DEX +2; STR +1

Right now, Wai Lana yoga is on my PBS station every afternoon at 4pm. Perfect! I'm impressed by how intensive her 30 minutes is, compared to others. I plan to keep that up as long as my PBS station keeps running it (I figure I have until the next fundraising season).

2) Strength-Training 3x a week - CON +1; STR +1; STA +1

For the past couple of challenges, I tried getting in the beginners bodyweight workout workout 3x a week, and I never quite mastered getting in in three times every week.

Why do I keep coming back to it? Because I like how it makes me feel, and while I haven't noticed the changes that some of the NF testimonials have, I have got more definition in my arms and legs.

This session, I am defining strength-training as bbwwo or crossfit-at-home.

3) Primal diet 6 days out of 7 - CON +1; STA +1

Last session, I did 5 out of 7. I'd like to add another day to the challenge.

My birthday is 1/14, and I'm giving myself two days (one with friends and one with family) to be off plan.

4)Life Bits: (scored by percent accomplished) - WIS +2; CHA +2

-I'm shadowing one of my dance instructor's lower level classes this term to begin teacher training. I need to shadow 1x a week (but I can do more). The intro has a possible 4 classes, and the level 1 has 7 (score based on 7, but possible 11 chances).

-I'm working on two craft swaps at Craftster.org: a scarf swap and a wall art swap.

-Work on sca tunic! I have a t-tunic for the sca that needs to be finished with embroidery, and an ionar (jacket) that needs trim. I do not think I can finish either of these in 6 weeks, but it is a goal to at least do some work on it.

-I'm trying to be more social. I teach, and get up at 5:30 am, so I don't often go out during the week. But, I often have it as a New Years resolution to have plans 3 weekends out of a month. I'm going to make this a bit flexible to include things like:

-sca arts&sciences night on Tuesdays

-games night at a local coffee shop on Thursdays

-girls night (like manis/pedis or meeting for cocktails)

-dinner/games/movies with friends

Some of this will only happen when there are school holidays (or InService days when I go in, but the students aren't there, so the level of energy needed is not the same), or when the A&S topic for that night is one I want to do!

I would like to find a community service group to join at some point down the line, but when you know your schedule is limited or that there are times of the year when life is crazy (I don't surface much from mid march to the end of the year, just like my CPA friend doesn't speak to anyone from January through end of April), you find yourself contributing more through donations that service.

Send me your craftswap details -- I knit scarves (and sweaters, and capes, and stuff)

This is our scarf swap: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=418104.0

I have a d one done for my partner already, but that's a bit of a cheat, because it was done before the signup period ended, and I just lucked out with someone who likes reds. So, I'm going to do another!

Yeay Spider! Druids for life :) Love these goals--good for you for adding in another day of primal. I've noticed whenever I do a strength training routine or nutrition program I never get the dramatic results or even close to that, but it's great because over time I've gradually completely re-shaped my body, become way stronger, and developed solid nutrition along the way. Keep it up with the strength training!! Strength stays with you long after a specific program is over. 

I got my yoga in for today, plus I'm shadowing my first dance class tonight (long term towards teaching). I'll miss yoga tomorrow because I have a hair appointment, but that's okay, because Wai Lana also comes on Sundays and I caught her then.

Tomorrow, I will try for a strength training at home (it works out well, because I like to watch ncis and mindy kaling).

Yeeeha. Good to read a common name beetween so many new druids!

I need to get out more, too. But 4:40 is just too early to stay up late :)

Did you take photos of yourself? It is easier to notice the changes of your body!

Keep it up!

Did the bbwwo last night during ncis, but today I didn't get home until after 5pm (faculty meeting ran long). A flaw in the plan? Perhaps. I still have yoga DVDs to do on Saturday.

I picked up some coconut & almond flours on the way home. I'm trying to recreate the Julian's bakery paleo bread (only a little more primal). Theirs isn't that great (though I do like the coconut better than the almond), but I don't want one that's composed mostly of almond butter either, which is what most of the Internet recipes call for. I am getting over the inherent fear of fat that we're acculturated to, but I still can't be comfortable with consuming huge amounts.*

Tonight's experiment used 1/4 almond flour, 3/4 coconut flour, 1/2 cup ground flaxseed, 1 tb buttermilk powder (it's just cultured buttermilk, dehydrated. Great for adding flavor), 1 T apple cider vinegar, 2 T Greek yogurt, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1 egg, 6 egg whites.

Tastes good! But, I think I need to whip those egg whites within an inch of their life to get some height into the loaf. It's wide but low (2.5" high maybe). I sliced it into quarter-inch slices and froze them so I could just toast them on demand.

*For example, breakfast was leftover orange-pecan chicken and green beans (from 500 Paleo Recipes) and green tea,

snack was a pouch of Justin's Almond Butter (1.15 oz)

lunch was 1 cup of Slow Cooker Chipotle Pork Stew with a 100-cal pack of wholly guacamole, a chobani yogurt, and an apple, with 32 oz water,

afternoon snack was a hardboiled egg,

dinner was 3/4 cup chicken salad on salad greens with balsamic dressing, oven roasted broccoli & cauliflower, some of the paleo bread experiment, and 2 oranges for dessert, with 32 oz water.

Hello! Yoga done today!

Tomorrow is my birthday with friends, so I'll be off-plan tomorrow. I'm going to be primal for bf and lunch, though. We're having a pedi party: there's a salon near here that does pedicures with a massage chair, hot foot soak, etc., and complimentary adult beverages. I bought some miniature cupcakes from a local indie bakery (not healthy, but *real* ingredients!) to go with them. Then, afterwards, we are going to a American tapas place for dinner and drinks.

Monday is my actual calendar birthday, and that's my other off-plan day. Every year my mom makes me homemade carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. Super noms. Plus, it freezes well, so I can have a second piece at some future point after the challenge!

Thank you! I'm just back from my evening, and it was SO much fun. The nail place took great care of us (and our one guy friend who braved popular opinion and had a plain pedicure, too!) and we had our mini-cupcakes and "champagne." I did little party favors of silly glitter nail files and cupcake stamps tied together with curly ribbon. Then we went over to the tapas place and had: vegetable tempura, kimchee, guacamole & wonton chips, spicy eggplant, and a little wood fired pizza. (We just got a bunch of stuff and shared it around.). I had some prosecco and some had other cocktails (something called a red geisha?).

Just the perfect, low-key evening. I could totally do this again next year! Good times!

Happy birthday! It sounds like you're starting your new year off right! Your party sounds fun - tapas/small plates is one of my favorite ways to eat. I love your goals for this challenge! Good luck!

Thank y'all! Yesterday, I stayed on paleo, but didn't end up getting out to exercise-- So. Much. Rain. I could have done better, but I just ended up doing laundry, vacuuming, and reading a book. I also tried paleo bread again. This time I reduced the almond flour to 2 T, increased the coconut flour to a full cup, reduced the olive oil to 1/4 cup, and whipped the egg whites. Produced a more bread-looking bread, about 3"x3"x4". But only made about 11/12 slices, instead of 16.

I've got venison burgers on the menu for this week. 1.5 lbs. ground venison, 1 pkg mushrooms diced, 5 half-slices of bacon diced (I always cut the package of bacon in half and then freeze one half; makes it easier for me), some salt, some Penzeys Spice Forward blend (black pepper, smoked paprika, turmeric, garlic, etc.), and 1/2 cup chopped onion. Mix and make burgers or mini meatloaves!

Right now, I'm about to have some veggies for lunch: made 3 half-slices of bacon, then cooked half a package of frozen veggies in the skillet, and added 3-4 tablespoons of whole foods spinach artichoke dip. Crumble the bacon back in & serve!

Challenge Four: Life 2.0

1) Yoga 5 days a week - DEX +2; STR +1
2) Strength-Training 3x a week - CON +1; STR +1; STA +1
3) Primal diet 6 days out of 7 - CON +1; STA +1
4)Life Bits: (scored by percent accomplished) - WIS +2; CHA +2
a. I'm shadowing one of my dance instructor's lower level classes this term to begin teacher training. I need to shadow 1x a week (but I can do more). The intro has a possible 4 classes, and the level 1 has 7 (score based on 7, but possible 11 chances).
b. I'm working on two craft swaps at Craftster.org: a scarf swap and a wall art swap.
c. Work on sca tunic! I have a t-tunic for the sca that needs to be finished with embroidery, and an ionar (jacket) that needs trim. I do not think I can finish either of these in 6 weeks, but it is a goal to at least do some work on it.
d. I'm trying to be more social. I teach, and get up at 5:30 am, so I don't often go out during the week. But, I often have it as a New Years resolution to have plans 3 weekends out of a month. I'm going to make this a bit flexible to include things like:
-sca arts&sciences night on Tuesdays
-games night at a local coffee shop on Thursdays
-girls night (like manis/pedis or meeting for cocktails)
-dinner/games/movies with friends

Check-In 1:

1) 4 out of 5x

2) 2 out of 3x

3) it's 5 out of 5x for this week (because Friday was my birthday with friends day, and tomorrow is my one with family)

4) a. shadowed dance 1x     b. made 1 scarf    c. no progress (but for this goal, just need some progress)    d. org'd and had my birthday party (pedicures and dinner out)

A little behind, but generally on track!