Spider's Life 2.0

Spider

As the daughter of a teacher I feel your pain... as a new mother I can only hope that when my time comes my daughters are lucky enough to have great teachers (as I did) and that the teachers will be able to speak honestly without the fear of me getting defensive/aggressive. I remember only too well what I was like in school and I expect no different from my daughters... so if a teacher were to tell me that perhaps my daughter failed to tell me she had homework, I would believe it. Something is very broken in a system where there is no trust in the parent-teacher relationship. :(

So far I have only interfaced with the carers in the kindergarden (not sure what they are called in english), and that has been a very constructive relationship. :)

Yes, to borrow from The Bard, "something broken in the state of Denmark."  I think the proliference of stories in the media of teachers who had betrayed the trusts of students or the system (abuses, cheating, etc.), plus the adult's possible experience of bad/poor teaching when they were young has combined with a belief that educators are not fully functioning citizens.  They (meaning the general populace) seem to think that we are only teaching because we couldn't hack it in a "real" job.

I want to share this poem with all of you:  http://taylormali.com/poems-online/what-teachers-make/

It sums up what I feel about all of this.  I'm told that I only chose this job for the summers off, or that I did it because I couldn't get another job in my field.  If I fuss about my low salary, I'm told that I should get over it, because it's not like I'm a doctor or lawyer or something (No, I just taught the ones who became them!).  Or about the paperwork that I have to do, or the fact that unlike a fair number of jobs (not all, of course), I have to be "on" and active from start of day to end of day!

And, yes, I wouldn't do it if I did not want to teach and if I did not enjoy teaching, but it is demoralizing to be considered so low more often than not.

And, we call it Kindergarten here, too!  German immigrants were the ones who brought the concept to America, when it was still struggling for acceptance in the German states in the mid-late 1800s!  (I had to study this in my teaching degree program.)  It took off in America, because all the different nationalities wanted their children to learn English and American culture, not only to help their parents, but also to improve their opportunities.  I think the first American one was in St. Louis, Missouri, in 1871.

Spider

Hedgewitch Druid, Level 3

STR 8 | DEX 7 | STA 5.5 | CON 4 | WIS 8 | CHA 6

Just Ended Challenge: Spider Goes Back to School

“Even if you are on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.†― Will Rogers

That must be so frustrating!

Like with any other profession there are bound to be a few bad apples... Which give the others a bad name. And there are those who burnout due to poor working conditions and lack of recognition, which also doesnt help on the reputation front.  :( The vast majority of teachers though are trying to survive on poor salaries while making a difference in children's lives.

I have a huge amount of respect for anyone that chooses to become a teacher. Teachers are such a big influence on the future of our children... and ultimately our future as a whole! As far as I am concerned teachers don't earn enough recognition both as respect and financial for the effort they put in. When you get down... remember that not all parents are trolls. Some of us actually are extremely grateful for what you do! :)

Lusitanian Druid, Level 9
STR: 13 | DEX: 15 | STA: 17 | CON: 22 | WIS: 25 | CHA: 25

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

Goal: 1001 Steps on the Road to a Home -> 18/348 in 2015 

5.27%
5.27%

Goal: loose 9KG in 2015 -> 1.5KG lost 

16.67%
16.67%

I do! And I thank you, Chanda, Maegs, and Drsloomis, for listening to me rant a bit! It's nice to just let off a little. The classes were pretty good today, and our moment of humor came when a student looked up the definition of the Latin word "procumbo" for a translation, and thought that "to prostrate oneself" had something to do with the prostate.

Spider

“Even if you are on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.†― Will Rogers

Yeah for a better day! Humor always helps. Didn't you know those old romans were preoccupied with their prostates?

Glad we could help by listening. Bad work days seem to be going around... I had one today. Ranting always helps, I did my ranting at work... and tomorrow I have the day off, which helps. So I am ready for a good evening now. :)

Lusitanian Druid, Level 9
STR: 13 | DEX: 15 | STA: 17 | CON: 22 | WIS: 25 | CHA: 25

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

Goal: 1001 Steps on the Road to a Home -> 18/348 in 2015 

5.27%
5.27%

Goal: loose 9KG in 2015 -> 1.5KG lost 

16.67%
16.67%

Yeah for a better day! Humor always helps. Didn't you know those old romans were preoccupied with their prostates?

Glad we could help by listening. Bad work days seem to be going around... I had one today. Ranting always helps, I did my ranting at work... and tomorrow I have the day off, which helps. So I am ready for a good evening now.  :)

Echoing that - my workday wasn't too good either but I remind myself that even if I do love work (and I do), it's a way to make a living and life outside work can be soooo fulfilling 

I have chosen to believe in myself.

Rally!  I know I haven't done my week 5 check in.  I will, but it may be combined with week 6.

CRAZY busy week at school.  Latins tudents had multiple contest entries for the state convention due today.  Accreditation paperwork apparently has to be redone.  And having to start the school honor org.'s selection process.

Having a bit of a rest now, then have to drill for teaching tomorrow's class... if anyone shows up.  I had one student last week.  She was lovely, but I'm alternately rterrified that I'll have more students or none tomorrow!

Spider

No one showed up for class today--- but I got a chance to chat with the hip hop-aerobics teacher and then I worked myself out for 40 minutes and called it a day!

Spider

Challenge Four: Life 2.0

1) Yoga 5 days a week - DEX +2; STR +1

2) Strengh-Training 3x a week - CON +1; STR +1; STA +1

3) Primal diet 6 days out of 7 - CON +1; STA +1

4)Life Bits: (scored by percent accomplished) - WIS +2; CHA +2

a. I'm shadowing one of my dance instructor's lower level classes this term to begin teacher training. I need to shadow 1x a week (but I can do more). The intro has a possible 4 classes, and the level 1 has 7 (score based on 7, but possible 11 chances).

b. I'm working on two craft swaps at Craftster.org: a scarf swap and a wall art swap.

c. Work on sca tunic! I have a t-tunic for the sca that needs to be finished with embroidery, and an ionar (jacket) that needs trim. I do not think I can finish either of these in 6 weeks, but it is a goal to at least do some work on it.

d. I'm trying to be more social. I teach, and get up at 5:30 am, so I don't often go out during the week. But, I often have it as a New Years resolution to have plans 3 weekends out of a month. I'm going to make this a bit flexible to include things like:

-sca arts&sciences night on Tuesdays

-games night at a local coffee shop on Thursdays

-girls night (like manis/pedis or meeting for cocktails)

-dinner/games/movies with friends

Week 1:

1) 4 out of 5x

2) 2 out of 3x

3) it's 5 out of 5x for this week (because Friday was my birthday with friends day, and tomorrow is my one with family)

4) a. shadowed dance 1x b. made 1 scarf c. no progress (but for this goal, just need some progress) d. org'd and had my birthday party (pedicures and dinner out)

Week 2:

1) 4 out of 5x

2) 2 out of 3x

3) 4 out of 5x (had one day for bday with family)

4) a. Dance cancelled n/a. b. worked on Kali embroidery c. Nothing as yet. d. Glass fusing party w/

Week 3:

1) 4 out of 5x

2) 1 out of 3x (got sick Weds through rest of week)

3) 3 out of 6x (ate saltines when sick; lots)

4) a. made dance b. finished Kali c. nothing as yet d. nothing; was sick!

Week 4:

1) 5 out of 5x

2) 2 out of 3x

3) 5 out of 6x (I went to the opera & opera dinner Saturday night and my choices were limited to where I would have had to go proteinless if I wasn't having grains [a lot of things en croute], and I wasn't prepared to sacrifice Superbowl Sunday to make up for it)

4) a. no dance this week b. mailed Kali & Scarf c. did a row of chain stitch along back of garb d. went to Opera

Week 5:

1) 5 out of 5x (by virtue of teaching the dance class- I did yoga before class, and lead the class through 15m before we started drilling)

2) 2 out of 3x

3) 6 out of 6x (finally! This was a tough 6 weeks)

4) a. 3 out of 3x b. Done! c. 1 out of 1x. d. I did THREE social thing this week: Went to SCA A&S night tuesday, had a wine and cheese get together with my fellow birthday girl Robin Friday, and taught dance class on Saturday, followed by a frozen Greek yogurt with dance friend Adrianne on Saturday.

Check-in 6: (I know it's early, but I know what I'm doing through sundown tonight!)

1) 4 out of 5x (I was thwarted once by the state legislature being on instead of Wai Lana yoga, and once by a super crazy late day at school Friday, but I made that one up with 30 minutes of yoga on Saturday at dance class)

2) 1 out of 3x (I have some thoughts about this, below)

3) 5 out of 6x (I took a day off for valentines. There's only so much dark choc before you have to say "this is no longer on plan!")

4) a. 4 out of 4x b. Done! c. 1 out of 1x. (But, hope to be working on it today during the afternoon movie) d. 6 out of 6x (taught dance class this week; if that's not enough, had a father-daughter evening with dad, cooking, and watching Young Frankenstein)

Total:

1) 26 out of 30.

2) 10 out of 18x.

3) 28 out of 34x.

4) a. 4 Monday shadows, 2 Saturdays taught (I almost immediately found that it was going to be too complicated to shadow Monday and Wednesday) 6/7x. 86%

b. Done! 100%

c. 1 out of 1x. I intended to get to it at least once and I did (not counting today's anticipated work) 100%

d. 7/6x I didn't socialize the week/end that I was sick, but made up for it as soon as I felt better. I averaged 1 social outing/event per week. 100%

1) Yoga 5 days a week - DEX +2; STR +1. 86%= DEX 1.7 & STR 0.86

2) Strengh-Training 3x a week - CON +1; STR +1; STA +1. 55%=CON 0.5, STR 0.5, STA 0.5

3) Primal diet 6 days out of 7 - CON +1; STA +1. 82%= CON 0.8 & STA 0.8

4)Life Bits: (scored by percent accomplished) - WIS +2; CHA +2. #4 total is 96.5%= WIS 2 & CHA 2

I'm awarding myself the points for 1) yoga and 4) Life bits. I'm not awarding myself points for the beginner's bodyweight workout or for primal diet. I failed the BBWWO, and I don't really think I took the primal diet seriously enough this time around, plus the getting sick thing.

I said above that I had some thoughts on this, and I do: I think that I suffered challenge burnout this time around. I had no problems doing paleo/primal 5/7 days in challenge #3, bunt 6/7 proved to feel restrictive for me. I just don't feel I deserve any points for it. I have been looking forward to the end of this challenge so I can induce grains into my diet, which is another indicator of a sort of will-failure, I think. I am planning on trying sprouted grains and adjusting to an ancestral diet/semi-WAPF approach. Bread is probably going to stop being part of my diet M-F, unless sprouted grain flours prove to work for me. (I don't suffer any of the major issues, but bread does give me a few side effect that its nice not to have to deal with.)

And I think I am completely burned out on the bbwwo. I've been an exerciser since I was in high school, and my mother thought I was overweight (I probably wasn't then, but my mom is a lovely woman who does not understand body type or body shape, and never had my BMI calculated back then, just saw that I didn't fit her type and put me in a step aerobics class). I find it really helps to find something you like and stick with it (like the bbwwo, which I like a lot!), but also to be willing to admit when it's time to change things up because what you're doing is no longer working (due to needing a level change or burnout).

So, it's time for me to change gears on that. I'm gratified to have the dance class shadowing work out and I have one more class to teach (then my teacher will see what's happens with the original Saturday instructor), and the Monday shadowing is going to continue for the foreseeable future, too.

Yoga nearly daily? That has been great, and I plan to continue that. Will it be part of my challenge #5? Possibly.

I'm considering a new strength workout approach. I subscribe to Melissa Bender's YouTube channel, and I like her fitness transformation series that she is doing with her brother-in-law. I'm thinking I might try those. This is also the frakkin' busiest time of the year for me, work-wise (it starts ratcheting up in Feb, and doesn't slow down until mid/late April), and I think I have to be realistic. Maybe it should be 1x a week, with 1x a week bellydance class shadowing. Maybe I want walking or prepping my garden beds to be my 3rd thing a week, now that we're moving into Spring. But, it's time to just, you know, reconsider. I don't want to make this too easy, but I have to be in earnest about what I can/will get done.

Spider

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines