A new beginning

I hereby declare that I will not let a change of surroundings keep me from my life goals. I just moved away from an awesome crossfit gym where I had not only a place to work out but top notch support and trainers. But I refuse to let myself wallow.

For the next 6 weeks I will:

• Keep a daily food and exercise log(aiming for total Paleo and crossfit style)
  • Level up my pull up abillty - be able to do more than 1 unassisted
  • Level up my handstand pushups - do full strict and kipping HSPUs

I may not have the opportunity to use weights for the next few months, but that doesn't have to stop me from attaining my goals

BlackWidowEowyn

Lvl 6 Hobbit Assassin

"Obstacles can't stop you, problems can't stop you. Most of all, other people can't stop you. Only you can stop you. " – J. Gitomer

"A vision of a champion is someone who is bent over drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching. "– Anson Dorrance

My kick in the Pants, #1, #2, #3, #4, #5

@missmajachere

Nice attitude!

I had to give up my gym membership when my son was born (almost a year ago now - woah!), and basically went from a warrior lifestyle to an assassiny one.  I now swear by bodyweight training.  Properly applied, the strength possibilites are endless.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Cool! Similar to wolverine, I went from pushing around lots of iron many, many years ago, to nothing but body weight training in my "rebirth" about 8 months ago, and I am loving it. I just have to find consistency.

rybo, level 4 Human assassinSTR 16|DEX 7.5|STA 9|CON 12|WIS 8.5|CHA 5 

I think consistency needs to be a goal for me too. Too easy to say "ah maybe later" and not bother to find places to workout. Which can be a challenge, but also make it more exciting...

BlackWidowEowyn

Lvl 6 Hobbit Assassin

"Obstacles can't stop you, problems can't stop you. Most of all, other people can't stop you. Only you can stop you. " – J. Gitomer

"A vision of a champion is someone who is bent over drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching. "– Anson Dorrance

@missmajachere

Great goals. One of my goals is to consistently do at least one pull up, so I'll be reading your thread with interest. What is your plan to level up on the pulls?

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 13   Charisma 14   Strength 20  Constitution-13

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

I think consistency needs to be a goal for me too. Too easy to say "ah maybe later" and not bother to find places to workout. Which can be a challenge, but also make it more exciting...

Amen.  The reason I did so well at the gym was because it was harder for me to say "later".  If I showed up it was easier to work out than not.  At home I have my son and my wife and TV and... it's harder to stay focused.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Great goals. One of my goals is to consistently do at least one pull up, so I'll be reading your thread with interest. What is your plan to level up on the pulls?

I can do several in row with assistance, so I'm planning on working up (or rather down) to less and less help. I always attempt a few with no help first and then use the lightest band possible. When there is no pullup bar available, I do body rows. The more horizontal you are the harder they are. Have you read Steve's article on doing pullups?  http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/04/25/do-a-pull-up/ it's a good one :)

BlackWidowEowyn

Lvl 6 Hobbit Assassin

@missmajachere

So I got my pullup practice in this week. Tuesday- Friday I did 3 sets of 5-10 each, usually starting with ten and then by set 3 I'm down to 5. haven't done so well with the HSPU practice but I got to go to a crossfit gym 4 days (YAY!) so we did things like push press (two of the days) and power snatching which will add to my strength, which will add to my ability to push my own body weight off the ground (upside down on my hands). 

here's to a great weekend :)

and more domination of goals next week

BlackWidowEowyn

Lvl 6 Hobbit Assassin

@missmajachere

I have come to the realization that I need to make a better plan if I am really going to level up these HSPUs. To that end I found a schedule to follow from my favorite crossfit box... I am going to start using it as part of my warm up routine.

intermingled with stretching exercises you do them in sets 3x5, 5x3, 4x8, 8x10

by the time you get where you can do 4x8, you should be able to remove a cushion/plate/whatever you were doing to make it easier and go lower. 

I also decided to add inverted burpees to the schedule, as they require handstand action.

I have continued to practice pullups.. still so close to an unassisted one i can taste it. 

but the only thing to do is keep trying.

right?

BlackWidowEowyn

Lvl 6 Hobbit Assassin

@missmajachere

Learning and growing is all about taking correction right? Especially when it comes from a guru of something I'd like to master....

SO I've been stuck on my HSPU's for a long time now... I was hoping this challenge would help me focus on them enough to change, but it turns out if you practice doing a thing wrong you are never going to be able to do it right. (duh) 

I was practicing them today and a coach suggested a new method of getting better with full range of motion. (slow lowering yourself down all the way as slow as possible even if you can push back up)

I think I'll still follow my pattern for numbers and sets, I'll just employ the new method so that I am sure to get the full range of motion.

Otherwise I think I'm on track as far as my other goals go. 

Still tracking workouts and food  regularly, it has been interesting to see the ratios of fat, carbs and protein... I thought I was pretty balanced, but it turns out not so much. Being aware of what I'm eating has also made me think about WHY I'm eating.... and too often it's not because I'm hungry.

the unassisted pull up continues to elude, but draws ever closer.

Fight on Fellow Rebels!! :)

BlackWidowEowyn

Lvl 6 Hobbit Assassin

@missmajachere

I've added full ROM negatives to my HSPUs on the PBs (which, I didn't realize until I started training them, are like floor HSPUs on crack).  I also work reps with part of the range of motion (lower to stack of books, push back up) and DB shoulder presses.  When one thing isn't working (or going too slowly) it's time to shake things up a bit!

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

I've added full ROM negatives to my HSPUs on the PBs (which, I didn't realize until I started training them, are like floor HSPUs on crack).  I also work reps with part of the range of motion (lower to stack of books, push back up) and DB shoulder presses.  When one thing isn't working (or going too slowly) it's time to shake things up a bit!

ha yeah those PBs really up the ante...

My shoulder has been sore this week so I'm taking it easy on the HSPU front to give it a break. Just handstand practice, to keep heading toward the freestanding HS and eventually walking on my hands , balance and tight core are the focus there. 

Pullups are kinda stalled, but I got some tips from a pro that might help the technique... But I get impatient with myself and then I'm disappointed when I can't do what I'd like to be able to. Progress takes time... like growing. gotta keep that in mind

BlackWidowEowyn

Lvl 6 Hobbit Assassin

@missmajachere

I was quite literally writing you a "how's it going?" message when your post came through. :)

The shoulder will hinder your pull-ups too, unfortunately.  May want to back off on those too until you're feeling better again.

How's the food tracking going?

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Tracking is going great. I am finding out all kinds of things about my eating habits. And knowledge is power..

yeah I 'd rather not have an actual injury to heal from... some good stretches and maybe even an icing and a lighter work load will probably do the trick

BlackWidowEowyn

Lvl 6 Hobbit Assassin

@missmajachere

So an update for the week... 

I fell off the pull up bar monday morning... I don't recommend it ;) I'm doing fine (I'm not very tall so falling off a bar I can reach is not a big drop)

except I must have pulled a muscle in my back. It's kept me from doing anything except some easy stretching/yoga this week. I don't want to do anything to make it worse. It's amazing how fast our bodies will heal when they are given the right tools for it. 

so I think I'll be waiting until next week to hit the real workouts again.

Tracking is still on track. 

It's frustrating to be set back, but maybe this little rest will help me push farther when I get back at it.

BlackWidowEowyn

Lvl 6 Hobbit Assassin

@missmajachere

Yikes! Take care and heal quickly.

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 13   Charisma 14   Strength 20  Constitution-13

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Goal #1 - I did the logging faithfully... and learned a lot about myself and my habits in the process. 

grade - A 

WIS 5 (I was going to split this with CHA but didn't actually lose weight in the process so only WIS this time)

Goal #2 - Pull ups remain my nemesis... 

I did work on them every week, even though unassisted remain just beyond my reach, it is so close I can taste it

grade - C because I Am improving, just not as quickly as I'd like

DEX 2.5

Goal #3 - Handstand Pushups

hm somehow these just fell off the chart after the first couple weeks.

Grade - F I should have kept after them - no improvement

STR 0

Thankfully beginnings can happen as many times as we need them to.

THis challenge helped me transition my training from gym based to self motivated. SO even though I didn't reach all my goals I feel like it has been successful. I didn't wallow in self pity and quit training just because I can't do it where i used to. Plus I got to meet a whole crowd of awesome people!!!

YAY for Assassins!!

BlackWidowEowyn

Lvl 6 Hobbit Assassin

@missmajachere

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines