scuddle stretches, sweats, and strengthens up!

scuddle

Here goes my first real challenge on the NF forums! I love challenges because it forces me to be accountable, because I certainly don't want the fact that I am a 'challenge-dropper-outer' on my mind! To be honest though, that's going to be hard for me and I'll be super proud of myself for just finishing up the challenge. :)

I decided to go with the Druid class because while I don't avoid meat, I do try and eat very clean and would like to improve upon that. My main form of exercise tends to be yoga and body weight exercises, with my trusty kettlebell thrown in there occasionally. Let's get to it!

scuddle, Level 1 Wood Elf Druid

STR: 3

DEX: 3 

STA: 1

CON: 3

WIS:  2 

CHA: 3

#1 Fitness Goal:  Practice one hour of yoga at least three times a week. This will be an interesting challenge for me, because while I practice in a studio once a week, it is difficult to motivate myself to practice alone at home, without a live instructor and my yoga buddy. I will be utilizing the great resource of DoYogaWithMe.com - free full length videos! I have a lovely new yoga mat that was received for Christmas, and I really need to break it in. By the end of this 6 weeks, it should be sticky as I want it!  (3 DEX, 1 STR)

#2 Fitness Goal:  Complete the 100 pushups program on my phone. I've always wanted to do this all the way through, and I know that the practice of pushups will definitely help me with my yoga. It'll also help me get closer to another lifelong goal - do a pull-up! The pull-up won't be a part of this challenge, though. I have the app for 100 Pushups on my phone, and I'll set it to remind me ever morning to get my daily push ups pumped out. (1 STR, 1 STA)

#3 Diet Goal:  I have been working on reducing my carb, grains, and wheat intake over the past few months, and now it's time to take it one step further. This goal is all about tracking and carbs - I will eat under 50 grams of carbs a day. I hit this more and more frequently and it's time to cut out those little bits of extra junk on weekends and evenings that push me over 50 grams. I use MyFitnessPal to track all of my food, and this will ensure that I remember to track daily. I'm at about 90% tracking now, so this will be a good push in that direction. Also, the less carbs and wheat I have, the better I look and feel - on the outside with clearer skin, and on the inside with a happier belly (2 CON, 1 CHA, 1 STA)

#4 Life Goal:  I'd like to knit at least three times a week, for 20 minutes (at minimum) at a time. I'm a bad, bad knitter. I love to knit but lately, I haven't been feeling it as much. Over the holiday, I was (FINALLY!) bitten by the knitting bug again and have the urge to knit. I've been pattern browsing on Ravelry, queuing like crazy, and finally hanging out with my knitterly friends again.  I love this activity because it's kind of my form of meditation - I get so busy with work and being around people, that sitting in front of a funny TV show and zoning out with my knitting is totally my form of meditation. (2 WIS)

So, here we go!

Level 1 Wood Elf Druid

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 1 | CON 3 | WIS 2 | CHA 3

First Challenge

#1 Fitness Goal:  Practice one hour of yoga at least three times a week. This will be an interesting challenge for me, because while I practice in a studio once a week, it is difficult to motivate myself to practice alone at home, without a live instructor and my yoga buddy. I will be utilizing the great resource of DoYogaWithMe.com - free full length videos! I have a lovely new yoga mat that was received for Christmas, and I really need to break it in. By the end of this 6 weeks, it should be sticky as I want it!  (3 DEX, 1 STR)

Scuddle - thanks so much for the link to that yoga site.  I watch a few minutes, can't wait to try out one of the routines.  I like how they have them organized.   Core fantastic will be my first one.

VioletFlame (Margie), level 4 Wood elf druid
STR 8 | DEX 6 | STA 14.5 | CON 11.25 | WIS 9.75 | CHA 9

2013 Challenge #1  ~ #2  ~ #3 ~ #4 ~ #5

Current Challenge

If you're looking to do a pull up, This link http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/04/25/do-a-pull-up/ will be a big help. Those are good goals and 100pushups is a good, realistic program. Good luck.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Awesome, welcome Scuddle! Great goals, and great resource for yoga! Love the pushup goal-- it's a great accomplishment and you are going to rock it.

Race: Gallifreyan

Profession: Druid

Level: 6

Current Challenge:Livingroovy Comes Home

[sTR] - 16.8 // [DEX] - 12.25 // [sTA] - 16 // [CON] - 17.3 // [WIS] - 16.55 // [CHA] - 14.6

Find me on the internets: Facebook // Twitter // Kate Marolt | Play Warrior & Excitement Engineer!

if you want to join the group, please add yoruself to the group in the spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnL943o3CTUvdG9VdmtaeVZ0cUoxZF95SktYbkczZnc#gid=10

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

So yesterday wasn't ideal, challenge-wise... I think it had to do with the fact that I decided to do it that morning, and hadn't completely put myself in the mindset of challenge time yet! Alas, but it begins for real today. 

Yesterday I went over my carb allotment by less than 10g, and didn't start on the pushups. It was a lot busier than I expected - work, straight to other work, directly to game night, then home and passed out. Tonight will be a lot less busy and I WILL start the pushups program, and tomorrow morning I'll get yoga in before work. I do a lot better with morning routines. 

I've noticed that my morning smoothies have more carbs than I would like. Currently they contain almond milk, spinach, avocado, coconut milk, chia, flax, kelp, and frozen banana. I'm going to research an alternative to the banana today, that I can freeze and replace for ice cubes to keep it cold. Because warm blended spinach? Yech.

Level 1 Wood Elf Druid

First Challenge

I love DoYogaWithMe.com, pretty much all the teachers are great and have consistent styles, so after you get to know them, you usually can sort of guess what you are going to get out of each class. If you are more into strength based yoga and you like vinyasa, I really recommend Fiji McAlpine's classes and if you love heart openers, you should do Natarajasana: Dance of the Divine, it is an awesome class. Just the right blend of strength and flexibility. 

bantu druid
STR: 2 | DEX: 1 | CON: 6 | STA: 1 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 3
(tumblr)

So this thing is meant to be updated like a daily diary if we want, right? 'Cause that's totally what I'm going to do with it to keep myself accountable.

Anyways. Yesterday wasn't as succesful as I hoped. I had done really well carb-wise staying budgeted, and then for dinner I had lentil soup without looking up the macros. Soup is good for you, right? Wrong. That cup of soup had over 20g of carbs in it, sending me way over my goal for the day. Crap. Well I'm going to try not to beat myself up about it and make today really count. I'm still super full from all that I had yesterday, and probably because of all that food, my scale had a discouraging 2lb gain from last time I weighed. At least I got my push-ups and knitting in for the day. I'll do some yoga tonight to get my first hour of the week in.

This has been a really busy week (much more than usual), and no signs of letting up till the weekend. I'm really looking forward to getting some 'me' time in this weekend.

Level 1 Wood Elf Druid

First Challenge

Soup can cause short term weight gain due to the sodium content as well, causing water retention. It will go away soon with discipline. I weigh myself everyday for my calorie tracking program that I use, but day to day scale readings are not a good tracker of weight loss. I look at weekly averages for a better track of my progress, its normal for weight to fluctuate up and down, what we want is an overal downward trend. And yes, post as much as you want on your thread, their purpose is to help each of us in whatever way works for us.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Good point. I weigh daily as well for tracking purposes (I'm obsessed!) and obviously small day-to-day variations don't bother be, because they happen quite often. It's the 2lbs that bugged me, because I had FINALLY broken my plateau and was 3lbs under, and this almost set me back above that number.  Today will be better!

Level 1 Wood Elf Druid

First Challenge

Awesome! Welcome to the Druids.

If you want to know more about carb dense food look up paleo.

Nearly everything that is high in carbs is not paleo. You dont have to eat meat, but you will get a good overview on food that is good for your gut...

And please dont weigh yourself everyday. Read stacys (spezzy) superhero story! Once a week will be enough! Actually just the fact that you are a woman can cause 3 lbs change over the month... What about taking a foto regularly?

Good luck!

Fate whispers to the warrior: "You cannot withstand the storm."

The warrior whispers back:
 "
I am the storm."

Thanks, Dwarfthrower! I know I shouldn't be weighing every day, but I'm a graphs nerd and I love watching progress on the one I use. Trying to break myself of the habit, and I don't fret if I don't do it every morning, but those graphs are so appealing...

Oh I do know about paleo! I know I technically -shouldn't- have legumes, and yesterday that fact reasserted itself to me. I'll be avoiding them in the future, minus the occasional chickpeas in salad and a little bit of hummus. 

I should take a photo more often. I have the ones from starting my real attempt at fat-loss from a few months ago, and I should take some now to compare and show myself. I appreciate the suggestions!

Level 1 Wood Elf Druid

First Challenge

Thanks for sharing the awesome yoga resource, it looks incredibly useful.

I might not be the best person to be giving advice on weighing as I almost never do it (I actually don't own any scales), but everyday does sound excessive might be getting so much info that you can't see the wood for the trees. Once a week might be better for tracking purposes as it reduces the impact that all the natural daily fluctuations will have on the results you're getting.

Good luck!

Level 0 Pixie

"The cure for anything is salt water - tears, sweat or the sea" - Isak Dinesen

I weigh myself every day.  I think it's not what you do that matters as much as the mindset you have while doing it.  It's just a number, but it's something that might be fun to track.  I also use my clothes to measure my progress, but that doesn't graph easily.  :rolleyes-new:

VioletFlame (Margie), level 4 Wood elf druid
STR 8 | DEX 6 | STA 14.5 | CON 11.25 | WIS 9.75 | CHA 9

2013 Challenge #1  ~ #2  ~ #3 ~ #4 ~ #5

Current Challenge

Thanks for the encouragement, all! Yesterday was a good day - got another round of knitting in, stayed under my carb allotment, and overall had a good day. Today I have my studio yoga session (it's proving to be difficult to do yoga at home this week, but that will hopefully change as I have fewer away-from-home activities to do.), and I'll plan out dinner.

PiG2Yl.jpg

Level 1 Wood Elf Druid

First Challenge

Yesterday I didn't meet my carb goals (again!!), but I did get an hour and a half in at the yoga studio and did some knitting, and today is another day of the push ups program. I also signed up for a Posture Clinic on sun salutations A and B tomorrow at my studio, I'm pretty excited! I love getting specific guidance about how I can better my practice, especially since I'm in it for the long haul. 

It's time to overhaul my diet. I keep missing my goal by 10g or less, and that'll change today. No more excuses! 

Level 1 Wood Elf Druid

First Challenge

Is that fish?

It looks delicious!!

Those are impressive goals!

I too find it so hard to do yoga at home, and still I love it so much at class. 

For travelling I asked my teacher if she had a short program to recommend so I 'm trying that now. Trying...  :rolleyes-new:

I have chosen to believe in myself.

I may have misunderstood, but I'm worried about the carb goal.  Isn't 50 the minimum grams of carbs for brain function?  (or was it 30?)

Technically, the brain doesn't need -carbohydrates-, per se, to function. It works off of glucose, which is easily converted over from carbs. (Trust me, I have done a LOT of research before restricting my diet in this way, and it probably won't be very long-term for me.) I've been using this guide to determine where to put my daily carb goals. 

By definition of 'essential', carbohydrates are not essential to run your body. Check out this article, who quotes:

"The second criterion is the reason that dietary carbohydrate is not an essential nutrient: the body is able to make as much glucose as the brain and the few other tissues need on a day-to-day basis from other sources. I should mention that the body is not able to provide sufficient carbohydrate to fuel high intensity exercise such as sprinting or weight training and carbs might be considered essential for individuals who want to do that type of exercise. I’ll come back to exercise later in this article.

But from the standpoint of survival, the minimum amount of carbohydrates that are required in a diet is zero grams per day. The body can make what little it needs from other sources. What, you ask, are those other sources?"

Thanks for the concern, though! :)

Level 1 Wood Elf Druid

First Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines