Through the Misty Mountains Cold

Calimor

Hey everyone! I've been on NF for about a year as a lurker, but I am looking to have a community and accountability! I have been changing many of my diet and fitness habits, but I want to take this challenge as an opportunity to really kick it up a notch.

I am 5' 10" and 175 lbs at the moment. My goals are, in general, a schedule to build basic fitness and diet skills/habits. I want this challenge to be the first leg of my new adventure as a ranger! (I'm on the way to Bree, I suppose)

Here are my goals:

1) Follow a "couch to 5k" guide. Although this is a 12 week guide, at 6 weeks I should be at the 25 minutes of constant jogging stage.

STA +4

2) Follow the 5x5 weight training routine. Right now I am doing bodyweight exercises, but I would like to start weight training now that I have a baseline to work off of.

STR +4;STA +1

3) Eat 80% Paleo. I have been hitting this goal, but I would like to continue. I feel like this goal is not too high since I have already been doing it, but I also do not want to set myself up for failure. Also, I need a little bit of leeway since my 21st birthday is at the end of the month. :P

CON +4

4) Practice Arabic for 45 minutes a day. I am taking Arabic at university and got an A in it last semester (woot!), but I want to practice more. Last semester I did all of my homework (about an hour or two per night), but I would ususally cut my speaking practice to 20 minutes after that. This semester I want to increase that so I can develope my practical speaking skills! The 45 minutes won't include my homework time.

WIS +1;CHA +1

If anyone has suggestions on changing my goals, attributes or think that these are a little to vague, let me know! I've written out a lot of stuff for me to follow and refer to for the specifics, but I would love comments! Thanks everyone!

Level 1 Half-Elf Ranger

STR: 2 CON: 1.5 DEX: 3 STA: 1.5 WIS: 4 CHA: 3

Challenge!!

If strength is justice, then is powerlessness a crime?

Awesome goals! Arabic?!?! Cool! Good luck with Paleo and your other goals!

♣IRISHodabred♣, Level 2 Celtic Hound Archon Ranger: STR 8|DEX 5|STA 6|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 6

2nd Challenge Log: Will Squat for...

1st Challenge Log: Gym Class Hero Challenge

“Discipline Is Choosing Between What You Want Now And What You Want Most.â€

"You have to do what others won't to achieve what others don't"

"Do or do not, there is no try"

4) Practice Arabic for 45 minutes a day. I am taking Arabic at university and got an A in it last semester (woot!), but I want to practice more. Last semester I did all of my homework (about an hour or two per night), but I would ususally cut my speaking practice to 20 minutes after that. This semester I want to increase that so I can develope my practical speaking skills! The 45 minutes won't include my homework time.

WIS +1;CHA +1

I like finding fellow rebels with "academic", particularly language goals. Renaissance nerds FTW!

Elf Ranger

Level 1

STR 1.5 | DEX 3.0 | STA 2.5 | CON 3.5 | WIS 2.5 | CHA 2.0

Current Challenge

Fitocracy

Lefty,

I'm glad to hear that! I have done my best to become a Reanaissance Man as it were. Although I'm incorporating more fitness into my life, I won't let my studies slip!

Level 1 Half-Elf Ranger

Challenge!!

Welcome to the Rangers, Calimor!  Those are nice goals, but make sure you set a schedule for your training and stick to it!  Missing a day can throw off a whole week.  Good luck and keep us updated!

World 5 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2020 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

Spoiler

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 5 Level 5 Stats: STR 144.0 | DEX 152.25 | STA 145.5 | CON 146.0 | WIS 149.0 | CHA 141.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

World 5 Level [1, 2, 3, 4]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

I definately agree! Right now, I'm on break from university and am just working, so my workouts are a bit different. I'm doing them at weird times after work. Meh. However, I do have set times everyday for when I get back to school and can use the gym. I definately appreciate the advice though.

Level 1 Half-Elf Ranger

Challenge!!

Love your goals, particularly improving Arabic! I've had Mandarin on the back burner for years, but considering I've got about 2 years left on my Ph.D now probably isn't the best time to invest much energy in it. :-)

(and that song's stuck in my head now...thanks!)

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

Check out my Musings on Fandom, Life, and the connections between the two at Fandom Lenses
LEVEL: 2 | STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 4 | WIS 9 (+5 from Year of Our WTF) | CHA 5 (+3 from Year of Our WTF)
Tu, was du willst (Do What You Wish)
The Neverending Story, Michael Ende

My 2013 Challenge #1 is dedicated to Melissa Montag, 1975-2012. I Love you AnissaSis! :-)

Thanks kevralyn and Oklibrarian!

I'm super excited about the challenge and opportunity to improve myself. I'm excited to hear that you're on track for a PHD, librarian. That's awesome!

And about the song: You're welcome!! (but I'm sorry...haha)

Level 1 Half-Elf Ranger

Challenge!!

No worries, there are worse fates. :-)

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

Check out my Musings on Fandom, Life, and the connections between the two at Fandom Lenses
LEVEL: 2 | STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 4 | WIS 9 (+5 from Year of Our WTF) | CHA 5 (+3 from Year of Our WTF)

My 2013 Challenge #1 is dedicated to Melissa Montag, 1975-2012. I Love you AnissaSis! :-)

Hey rangers!

I've been trucking along pretty well. I've been hitting all of my goals. One hitch--I had McDonald's with a friend last night.

Not a huge deal I suppose, since I have been really consistent other than that, but nonetheless, it sucks. I felt so sick after eating it...blarg.

Anyway, I'm back to it and am looking forward to more progress! Hope everyone is doing well!

Level 1 Half-Elf Ranger

Challenge!!

Well done on hitting all your goals.

And the McDonald's can be put to good use - next time you think about having one, remember how yucky you felt after eating it this time!! :)

Have a super weekend!

Eirlys - Long Time Wood Fairy Druid

Current Challenge: S4 (Sleep, Sugar, Spending, Son)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Done is better than perfect

-- Facebook

Hey rangers!

I've been trucking along pretty well. I've been hitting all of my goals. One hitch--I had McDonald's with a friend last night.

Not a huge deal I suppose, since I have been really consistent other than that, but nonetheless, it sucks. I felt so sick after eating it...blarg.

Anyway, I'm back to it and am looking forward to more progress! Hope everyone is doing well!

I know! I pretty much can't eat fast food anymore unless I'm really stressed, and then I wind up regretting it. This is not a problem. ;-) Onward and upward!

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

مرحبا

I actually speak Lebanese Arabic, I am a first generation Lebanese American. Although I am not fluent in that dialect (will change that during my life). I assume you are learning the classical Arabic. which I know less of then Lebanese Arabic  however I will try and help you as much as I can let me know

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines