I don't think I'll ever reach my goal

Here's why weight goals are impractical. I have lost four inches off my waist, while only dropping 2 pounds. I am much thinner and feel much better, have more energy, etc. But I've gone from 244 pounds to 242. My goal is (was) below 200, but I'm building muscle really fast as I lose weight, which is great. So I'm making my new goal a 35 inch waist (I'm at 39 now, 7 weeks ago I was 43).

Nerd? We prefer the term INTELLECTUAL BADASS!!!

Here's why weight goals are impractical.

Your goals are only impractical if your methods are working against them. If you want to lose weight, then you have to be running a calorie deficit.

Easiest way is cardio out the ass with bodyweight/resistance band workouts to reduce muscle loss.

If your goal is strength increases, you have to decide which is more important - big gains, or weight loss. It's a matter of deciding if you want to weight 250 with a 300+ bench, or 220 and be able to rip off 10+ pullups. The latter is a better gauge of strength than the former.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

Speaking as one who's been a size 10 and a size 6 at the exact same weight, have in the past done EVERYTHING right for a month and haven't seen a single pound lost, and have seen pictures of a chick who went from a size 12 to a size almost-4 without losing a pound... It's not as easy as running a calorie deficit, Alecto. Genetics are at play sometimes.

But if you stick with it, you'll see results, either on the scale or in your pant-size. That's good enough for me.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Plex, funny you should mention height, I'm 6' 2.5" (189cm). I'm eating at a calorie deficit of quite a bit, which is why I'm shedding fat like there's tomarrow, but I'm building muscle which completely negates the total weight lost, but not the total fat lost. In fact, building muscle helps shed the fat because I'll be able to workout harder to burn more calories, but also at rest muscles burn more then ten times as many calories as fat. I think it's closer to 20 times actually.

Well, we all know muscle weighs more than fat (especially for guys, who have more muscle and less fat). If you look and feel better and your waist shrunk 4 inches (!), I'd say you're doing pretty well. If you can lift more weight and run farther than you could before, you're definitely fitter.

Micromanaging pounds is a huge waste of energy (so to speak) anyway. Your weight could easily go up or down by 2 lbs. (or more) depending on a bunch of stuff that changes on a daily, if not hourly, basis. I watch the scale go up or down about 5 lbs. a month and the changes are always temporary.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Perhaps a body fat test is in order? It looks like you're already doing measurements, which is good.

Another thought. Are you willing to modify your goals? There's nothing in the book that says you have to weigh this arbitrary number...

While I have some weight goals (I really want to hit at least 250), my real goal is visible abdominal muscles, which is about 5-10% bodyfat. Whether I hit that at my current weight, 20 pounds lost from now, or 120, I don't care as much. It's more fitting into smaller size clothes, being able to effortlessly run up three flights of stairs without being out of breath, and improving my blood pressure/health panel through my diet and exercise.

being able to effortlessly run up three flights of stairs without being out of breath,

Move into a three story house and put your bed room on the top floor, and everything else on the bottom. You'll get to do stairs plenty. I am modifying my goals, my current mid term goal is 200 squats, 50 pushups, 10 pullups, 2 minute plank, being able to run/jog a 3k and a 10 minute mile. Also, visible abs would be pretty sweet, as would really veiny muscle arms.

I love the OP, this to me is a classic example of why people who only use weight as a guide to fitness/fatloss/health are somewhat misguided. Don't get me wrong weight has a role to play, i mean if you weigh alot...you weigh alot regardless of it's composition and being Fat or muscular can cause some of the same problems (ie your joints are gonna take some serious stress) it's just that if you weigh alot and are fit and muscular your body will likely be better addapted to deal with the stresses placed upon it.

But if your trimming down, looking and feeling better but maintaining weight...then you must be doing something right, sounds like you want to be using a combo of measurements though. Personally I weigh in once a week (helps keep me motivated) and i take my measurements and calipers once a month.

anyways

/soapbox

Jedi Si: V2.0 - Valves by NHS. Courage, Determination, Cheerfulness in Adversity - It's a state of mind

If you're into that kind of thing, a lot of gyms will give you a body comp measurement for a price. They might even do one consultation for free if you ask nicely. Or you could ask a doctor to measure you next time you get a regular physical.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

They can be a little difficult to use initially if you are self measuring, but like anything practice practice practice will mean you get the hang quick enough. And like Raincloak says you might be able to get one from the gym, mine used to be included as part of my fees (I got monthly measurements, programme reviews and all the rest included) If not, just make nice with the gym instructors, see if you can sweet talk one from them

Jedi Si: V2.0 - Valves by NHS. Courage, Determination, Cheerfulness in Adversity - It's a state of mind

Speaking as one who's been a size 10 and a size 6 at the exact same weight, have in the past done EVERYTHING right for a month and haven't seen a single pound lost, and have seen pictures of a chick who went from a size 12 to a size almost-4 without losing a pound... It's not as easy as running a calorie deficit, Alecto. Genetics are at play sometimes.

I think it is actually. Now, that doesn't mean you don't have to make adjustments.

I've seen you use that example of the woman who apparently dropped 8 dress sizes without losing a pound, and I have to say that that is incredibly misleading. Every single clothing manufacturer measures things differently. I have 4 pairs of jeans - two 34", one 36", and 1 38". I have shirts that are XL-3XL that fit perfectly. I have a 2XL shirt that is so small (it is smaller than the XL shirts I bought from the same store when I lay them on top of one another), that I keep it purely for comic relief. I tried on XL medium-weight jackets yesterday, and they ranged from being baggy to so tight in the arms, I could barely extend them.

Secondly, it's obvious that that woman wasn't simply trying to lose "weight". She wanted to lose fat, be more athletic, get healthier, etc. Goals often change. In this case, she started off wanting to lose weight and she was carrying a lot of fat that she burned off and replaced with muscle. So as she progressed, she wasn't trying to lose weight, she was trying to lose fat. There's a huge difference.

Weight loss plateaus are a matter of eating too much or not working out hard enough. As you do the same workout routine, your body gets used to it and is able to do it more efficiently. If you've been sedentary for a year, and start walking 1 mile a day, you'll burn more calories on day 1 than on day 30.

And with diets, calories have a tendency to creep up. You become complacent with your intake, your measurements. An extra nibble becomes half a serving, 1oz of almonds becomes a handful. If you've been losing for awhile, these little amounts quickly add up to wipe out a 500-1000 calorie deficit.

And if you have been losing for awhile, weight loss becomes mental for the most part. You either get in a zone or you get burned out and need to take a break.

The point of my post was that Cokecanninja was being obtuse, so I was obtuse back to him.

I used every single "I can't lose weight" excuse out there for years, so I'm pretty quick to call BS on them.

Yea CokeCan, at your height, if you're building muscle while dropping fat, it's going to be a while before you get close to 200, if at all. Not to say that's impossible, but I'm slightly taller than you and almost 210, and actually trying to put on some more weight and get down to 10% BF at the same time. Like alecto said, your goals may change as you build more muscle and eventually, getting under 200 might mean losing muscle mass once you get beast enough :D

Good luck in continuing to shed the fat and keep kicking ass!

I've been in the same boat - and finally gave up on the numbers.

I'm thinner (I've photo evidence), I'm in much better shape, I've had to retire pants because they are too big (about to have to buy new workout shorts), and my weight hasn't moved. I've run a calorie deficit since October (with a couple of exceptions) and that number hasn't changed.

I can now run over a mile non-stop, I can do 24" box jumps*, and probably some other feats I'm not thinking of even though I'm still basically the same weight as I was in October. Just thinner.

* My sweetie has said that because I can do 24" box jumps, she doesn't want to ever hear complaining about numbers on the scale again from me!

I can now run over a mile non-stop, I can do 24" box jumps*, and probably some other feats I'm not thinking of even though I'm still basically the same weight as I was in October. Just thinner.

Yeah, my scale moves very slowly these days, but I am now able to run 2 miles without stopping. My goal is to run a 5k in under 30 min, and then do the Warrior Dash in the fall (5k + obstacles).