Now 20% Geekier, OKLibrarian is back!

Oklibrarian

Hey y’all! This Hobbit Ranger has been gone for a few months, having gone on hiatus from the forums after doing the first 6 week challenge after the classes were created. TL; DR, I lost a dear friend in May, then life went what can only be described as cattywampus in a blend of good and bad ways, see my new website www.fandomlenses.com for details (and if you like random pop culture geekery).

I kept up food and fitness tolerably well during that time given everything that was busily going nuts, maintained my weight where I was (+/- 2lbs) up until thanksgiving, and even finished a couple of 5K walks in pretty good times. Alas, I put on about 7 lbs over the holidays (I hope/suspect that’s mostly water, but I’m staying away from the scale for reasons I’ll mention below). In any case, I picked up enough health via personal growth, old/new friendships, and impossible concerts to not feel bad in the least about a slight backtrack on the weight front (that in itself is probably an outgrowth of said improved mental health). My goals are as follows:

1. Eat clean 6 days a week (I’ve lost 45 lbs thus far on a slightly modified slow carb/4 hour body diet, I allow myself cheese and whole fruit (not juice or dried fruit) in moderation, a splash of cream in my morning coffee, and the odd handful of chips when we decide not to cook and go out for fajitas sans rice and tortillas 2-3 times a month). I have a standard daily eating regimen most days that works out to about 1400-1500 calories (I turn into a crazed piranha if I go any lower), and if I go out for lunch with friends on the spur of the moment I’ve identified good slow-carb options at all our go-to places. (+1 CHA, +3 CON)
  2. Work out 5-6 days a week, continuing to rebuild my base cardio fitness for a planned 5K at the end of April while avoiding overtraining. (+4 STA, +2 STR, +1 DEX)
  3. Continue working on mindfulness skills, which right now for the purposes of NF means not getting overly obsessed with “numbers†like weight and such. I need to focus on eating and moving cleanly in the present moment, without coping with the additional noise of the scale and/or measuring tape. I’ve been at this long enough to know that if I adhere to the first two goals, fat loss will handle itself. I may need to change that strategy down the road, but I’ve got enough habits to reassert for the next 6 weeks without going into hard core bodyhacking mode.(+2 WIS)
  4. (Bonus) Finish transcribing/coding interviews for research project and outline Presentation for my FIRST INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE at the end of March. (+2 WIS)

That’s about it for now, have yet to decide if I’ll post my progress daily or weekly, but I will post it. Thanks and it’s great to be back!

ETA: Bonus Goals and XP for this challenge (we get 15 imaginary points to spend on our signatures now! woo!)

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

Check out my Musings on Fandom, Life, and the connections between the two at Fandom Lenses
LEVEL: 2 | STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 4 | WIS 9 (+5 from Year of Our WTF) | CHA 5 (+3 from Year of Our WTF)
Tu, was du willst (Do What You Wish)
The Neverending Story, Michael Ende

My 2013 Challenge #1 is dedicated to Melissa Montag, 1975-2012. I Love you AnissaSis! :-)

Hey there! I really like your goals. I really like your #3. It always comes down to the day to day, but you can do it! It sounds like you are already quite accomplished.

Level 1 Half-Elf Ranger

STR: 2 CON: 1.5 DEX: 3 STA: 1.5 WIS: 4 CHA: 3

Challenge!!

If strength is justice, then is powerlessness a crime?

Thanks for the reply and the compliments! This challenge (and 2013 in general, i think) is about getting away from making myself crazy with sundry BHAGS, and focusing on living well, in all senses of the word, in the moment. Hope that doesn't sound too Druid-y of me, but there 'tis. :-)

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

Check out my Musings on Fandom, Life, and the connections between the two at Fandom Lenses
LEVEL: 2 | STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 4 | WIS 9 (+5 from Year of Our WTF) | CHA 5 (+3 from Year of Our WTF)

My 2013 Challenge #1 is dedicated to Melissa Montag, 1975-2012. I Love you AnissaSis! :-)

Ah, Day 1 in the books!

1: Ate clean

2: Off day (pilates tomorrow, must see if I can import my polar beat stats to the NF board)

3: continuing to work on mindfulness skills. debating starting some zazen again of an evening, but I'm hesitant to take on much more than trying to pare down my life and watch my thoughts as i go about my daily work.

4: gonna log off and go transcribe for a bit, figure I can do 10 minutes without too much pain (I have about an hour and a half left to transcribe).

ETA I did Indeed! Off to pack gym bag, wash hair, and pack it in. Alarm for gym goes off at 5:00...

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

A great Day 2! I see i need to improve my dinner planning for class nights, I'll get to that in a second.

1: Ate clean! and believe me, I nearly didn't today. I had tentatively planned to have dinner with a classmate and catch up after class, but she'd come down with the creeping crud and wasn't exactly feeling sociable. I had no backup meal packed, so wound up having to hit the grocery store by the house for a chef salad. It had been almost 8 hours since lunch, and Lots of evil things were calling my name, let me tell you. I think i need to down some jerky before class on school nights, and/or keep a few emergency protein bars in my tardis purse.

2. Pilates! good strength training day with my trainer Cindy the Awesome. We talked a bit about my plans for a 5K in april, and caught up with each others' lives in between sets. the polar "workout load" calculator doesn't seem to think I'm overtrained, so I'll hit the gym by the house tomorrow for some hill intervals on the treadmill.

3. stayed very focused in my first class of the semester, a stats course I've been dreading for most of the program. No anxiety really arose, i was able to focus on the prof, and right now this seems surprisingly doable. Almost done with my Zen book I'm working on right now (Ending the Pursuit of Happiness by Barry Magid), will probably finish it up tomorrow over lunch.

4. no transcribing today, work proper was hectic with a new student worker today, and i don't try to do homework on class nights. depending on how busy we are i might be able to kill a few minutes tomorrow, otherwise it'll be thursday. As long as my other class doesn't assign us a mound of reading, i should be able to make some significant inroads this weekend. If I can get it all transcribed before a work trip to seattle at the end of the month, I should be able to cloister myself in my hotel room the day before my meeting (I arrive early afternoon), order room service, and code and memo my little brains out. (Save a break to go down to the gym, of course! :-) )

So that's another day in the bag, I'm trying to pop into as many threads as I can, lots of old and new faces in the Ranger guild!

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

Bad: I simply lacked the energy for the gym this morning (can't expect myself to triple my weekly workout time in a single week at the same time I start back to class but still, grr.)

Good: I've lost 3 lbs of that holiday 7 in less than 72 hours. Was pretty sure that most of it was just water... :-) that said i probably should have resisted the temptation to hop on the scale. I could tell from my "squishy fat" that I was losing.

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

Yo OK...

Keep it up! Let me know if you have any questions about Zazen practice, part of the reason I joined a Sangha was because I wanted to have a community that was physically close to collaborate with whenever I was frustrated or lacking inspiration. 

If you can't get to the gym in a day you can at least keep your momentum via some home body weight exercises. :-P

Thanks Evicious! Good points Axiom, and I think I probably am going to give one of the local centers a trial run in a future 6 week challenge, probably not the next one but over the intersession or summer. I was really teetering on the edge of overtraining, and am really trying to listen to my body and work with it as a partner (as opposed to my past MO of "molding it to my will") this challenge, especially while I ramp back up to 5-6 workouts a week. I'll be back at it tomorrow!

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

Pretty good day, aside from the aforementioned skipping of the gym.

1. ate clean, even during surprise dinner out with the hubby!

2. took my optional 2nd rest day as mentioned, gonna do base phase hill intervals on the treadmill tomorrow. (Warm up to bottom of HR zone 2 at 0%, crank incline, walk till I hit top of zone 3, back to flat till I recover to top of zone 2, repeat for 30 mins)

3. Class got cancelled tonight (was pretty focused at work and didn't check facebook or my school email, which is in itself a good thing), so I got to have dinner with my hubby. Didn't look at my phone the whole time! :-) Had lunch with Boss, so will finish up Zen book tonight.

4. Might transcribe a bit tonight, but thinking of just using my "found time" to shop UK Airfares and finish the aforementioned zen book. Thanks again to everyone who posted comments here! I'll try to keep up with your threads as well :-)

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

Sounds like you're doing really well :)  I noted in particular that you managed to avoid the phone during dinner.  Well done!  Something my wife and I have to call each other out on every now and then :)  I know how tricky it can be to break the habit of just checking the phone for any updates.

If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month.

Teddy Roosevelt

I heard of a trick where everyone stacks their phones face down on the table at the start of dinner. the person who grabs their phone from the stack first has to pay for the whole table. :-)

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

I wonder how many NFers mentioned that holiday weight in their challenge goals... I didn't but it was certainly implied! I felt like such pig when I went home for Christmas. Oh well. Here's to new beginnings! Good luck and see you in guild chat! haha

Level 1 Hylian Ranger
| STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3 |

Fitocracy

Current Challenge:

Reset. Time to save the princess. Again.

Dúnedain Team

Oooh, ooh, welcome back. Sorry everything went cattywampus on you, but glad things are smoothing out. I think your goals are great; I especially love 

I was really teetering on the edge of overtraining, and am really trying to listen to my body and work with it as a partner (as opposed to my past MO of "molding it to my will") this challenge, especially while I ramp back up to 5-6 workouts a week. I'll be back at it tomorrow!

Sounds like you're off to a good start!!!

Hobbit Ranger seeking balance (and cookies)

Current Challenge

I wonder how many NFers mentioned that holiday weight in their challenge goals... I didn't but it was certainly implied! I felt like such pig when I went home for Christmas. Oh well. Here's to new beginnings! Good luck and see you in guild chat! haha

No doubt! I don't do much chat these days but I'll see if I can find time to log in this weekend for a bit.

Oooh, ooh, welcome back. Sorry everything went cattywampus on you, but glad things are smoothing out. I think your goals are great; I especially love 

Sounds like you're off to a good start!!!

Some of the weirdness was very good (practically miraculous in a dorky kind of way), some of it was less good, all of it was overwhelming. suffice it to say 2012 was a major and needed reality check on several levels. Thanks for the compliment! I'm more interested in sustainability than "crushing it". the fact that I stayed stable weight and fitness-wise during the fall (when i was probably only behaving about 75% of the time) tells me that my general setup is where it needs to be for the long haul.

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

I heard of a trick where everyone stacks their phones face down on the table at the start of dinner. the person who grabs their phone from the stack first has to pay for the whole table. :-)

That, is an excellent suggestion!  I intend on trying that next time I'm out (with my good humoured friends).

If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month.

Teddy Roosevelt

Thanks for the reply and the compliments! This challenge (and 2013 in general, i think) is about getting away from making myself crazy with sundry BHAGS, and focusing on living well, in all senses of the word, in the moment. Hope that doesn't sound too Druid-y of me, but there 'tis. :-)

The best part of being a Ranger is that you can be a bit Druidy too!  Be ALL the guilds!

Bad: I simply lacked the energy for the gym this morning (can't expect myself to triple my weekly workout time in a single week at the same time I start back to class but still, grr.)

Good: I've lost 3 lbs of that holiday 7 in less than 72 hours. Was pretty sure that most of it was just water... :-) that said i probably should have resisted the temptation to hop on the scale. I could tell from my "squishy fat" that I was losing.

I know that feeling-this week I've dropped 4kg that I'm sure was just water, but damn if it doesn't feel good to see that number on the scale drop!  But now I need to avoid the scale because the weight loss is about to go back to slow and steady, which ultimately is better for me, but less exciting ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gallifreyan Jackal Ranger

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 3 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Introduction

CURRENT CHALLENGE!
(seriously updated, for reals guys)

Yep! was down another pound and a half this morning. That ain't real. But it does mean that I probably gained more like 2-3 lbs over the holidays, which I can live with. (well not live with, in fact it'll be the first to die, but YKWIM :-) )

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

Yep! was down another pound and a half this morning. That ain't real. But it does mean that I probably gained more like 2-3 lbs over the holidays, which I can live with. (well not live with, in fact it'll be the first to die, but YKWIM :-) )

I know you're not obsessing over the numbers (AWESOME!) but if you want to have a bit of fun with them, try going a week where you only weigh yourself after a meal instead of when you're lightest. It helps you suss out just exactly how food and water affect the numbers on the scale - and it really is a great surprise when you weigh yourself at your lightest the week after, especially when you've kept up the clean eating and exercise.

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

Oh, I know from previous experiments that my weight can vary up to 4 lbs in a day. it's the world's most ridiculous measure of progress, unless you go for a weighted moving average, which i do use when I'm tracking my stats, Got the idea from The Hacker's Diet years and years ago. When I track, i use a combo of moving average weight and my body fat % calculated via one of the tape measure methods, i want to say the Navy's? Next challenge I might dig out those old spreadsheets if I'm feeling OCD.

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

Gonna be brief as i need to get to bed:

1. ate clean again! forgot to drink much water in the morning, got it all doewn my gullet in the afternoon though. discovered i now get slightly dizzy when not drinking enough water. maybe cause I'm shedding so much fluid right now? prob need to allow myself a smidge more salt, specially as I take a daily med that contains a good bit of potassium. 1 more day and I'll be 100% for week 1!

2. Hills went well, didn't recover very swiftly from last interval but it was almost time to cool down anyway. guess that's why I'm going all this interval cardio. tomorrow is Fartlek time! either the track (weather permitting) or the mill at 0%, warm up, run till I hit top of zone 3, walk to zone 2 HR, repeat.

3. Had work meeting, decided to keep my mouth shut and let our newer folks talk, mostly succeeded. I think I may have accidentally bruised someone's ego later that day though--gotta determine where the line is between assertive personality and "b*tch". I will not give up the former, but I also want to avoid the latter. Suggestions from other females in management here or via PM are very welcome. :-)

4. Transcribed a TON tonight! with any luck I may have ths participant's content DONE by the end of the seekend, and can crank out #2. (It's sort of a "tale of two students" kind of project, when my slides get posted for the conference I'll share the link, because I'm just dorky like that.)

Thanks for all the feedback and kudos, see you manana. Go Rangers!

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

I know you're not obsessing over the numbers (AWESOME!) but if you want to have a bit of fun with them, try going a week where you only weigh yourself after a meal instead of when you're lightest. It helps you suss out just exactly how food and water affect the numbers on the scale - and it really is a great surprise when you weigh yourself at your lightest the week after, especially when you've kept up the clean eating and exercise.

I tried this once and that's when I pretty much started to ignore the scale, other than checking it out of bored curiosity.  The swing between an empty stomach and one full of just water was insane!

2. Hills went well, didn't recover very swiftly from last interval but it was almost time to cool down anyway. guess that's why I'm going all this interval cardio. tomorrow is Fartlek time! either the track (weather permitting) or the mill at 0%, warm up, run till I hit top of zone 3, walk to zone 2 HR, repeat.

4. Transcribed a TON tonight! with any luck I may have ths participant's content DONE by the end of the seekend, and can crank out #2. (It's sort of a "tale of two students" kind of project, when my slides get posted for the conference I'll share the link, because I'm just dorky like that.)

Wooo-Fartlek!  I love them mostly for the names and the confused looks on people's faces when I say "sorry-can't go to out tonight, I've got Fartleks."  I'm waiting for people to start leaving Beano on my desk.

What's the presentation about?  Do you get to present it or will the students?  Making slides is fun, you're not the only one.  I spend hours agonizing over which slide transition animation to use to get just the *right* effect on my audience.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gallifreyan Jackal Ranger

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 3 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Introduction

CURRENT CHALLENGE!
(seriously updated, for reals guys)

What's the presentation about?  Do you get to present it or will the students?  Making slides is fun, you're not the only one.  I spend hours agonizing over which slide transition animation to use to get just the *right* effect on my audience.

It's basically presenting my data from my dissertation pilot study. I'm exploring the lived information-seeking experiences of nontraditional undergrads (or in plain english, how adult learners use the library/internet to find sources and use them in their term papers). I got selected to fly over to the UK to present it at the end of march, Hubby and I are going a week early to play tourist, as he's never been outside the states save for one trip to Mexico as a kid.

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

It's basically presenting my data from my dissertation pilot study. I'm exploring the lived information-seeking experiences of nontraditional undergrads (or in plain english, how adult learners use the library/internet to find sources and use them in their term papers). I got selected to fly over to the UK to present it at the end of march, Hubby and I are going a week early to play tourist, as he's never been outside the states save for one trip to Mexico as a kid.

That sounds like a great trip! Are you going to London, or elsewhere?

As for the work assertiveness stuff, it's a fine line and it frustrates me, too. When I first started my job (which involves managing people/workflow), I tried so hard to be nice that I didn't get much done. It took a while (several years, actually) to just start asking people to do stuff and not feeling bossy/bad -- because, hey, it's my job to keep them on deadline! It helps that my boss has always backed me up. Do you have a similar mentor/supervisor who you know will support you?

Dúnadan Ranger

Level 2

STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 8 | CON 6 | WIS 6 | CHA 4

Current 6-Week Challenge

First to recap friday:

1. Good breakfast, small slip at lunch (I forgot the otherwise carbless chicken and broccoli casserole has some bread crumbs on top, oh well), dinner I fell off the wagon a bit with splitting some bread and a cherry cobbler with my hubby at the local steakhouse. I'm deliberating allowing myself some light misbehavior on friday dinner if the week was otherwise spot-on. which it was. :-)

2. *to the tune(?) of the Hogwarts School Song* Fartleks, fartleks, farty-larty fartleks! my fartlek scheme: get on treadmill at 1% incline (to counter the inherent help you get from a mill), go a few ticks over my hoped for race pace till I top out HR zone three (I'm in base building mode so am avoiding zones 4 and god forbid 5), back off to easy walk till HR drops 20 points, repeat.

3. Not much on this really, but I spent a LOT of time with kevin last night--we have a bad habit of choosing up sides and going to our respective offices for hours at a stretch (this is what happens when two introverts marry, folks), but we pretty much hung out most of the evening. Yay!

4. No transcribing, but I spent some of last night and a chunk of this afternoon IDing flights and accomodation ideas for the UK. I think what we're going to do is Use London and Edinburgh as our main bases of operations (staying 4 nights each place), spend a couple days playing in each city and the rest of the time roaming further afield on our britrail passes. Then we'll cut down to manchester from scotland, I'll do my conference prez, and we'll fly home from there. (open jaw savings FTW!) I lived there for a year and have hit most of the major things multiple times (save newer things like the Millenium eye and anything that got put up for the olympics), so I'm mostly going to follow Kevin's interests and energy levels rather than trying to do some oversheduled tourist death march. My only requirements are a ride on the Eye, a chance to see the Stone of Scone a second time in its rightful spot (I saw it in westminster abbey and flew home from scotland right before they moved it), and a few hours in Dundee to show kevin the places I lived, learned, loved, and got drunk in during that year abroad. ;-).

I know I'm taking him to the british museum and library, greenwich, at least one west end show (there's an interesting thing with Helen Mirren as QE2 having audiences with the various Prime Ministers who have served during her reign) possibly stonehenge, maybe a day trip out to Oxford, or maybe even York? Recommendations for a Nerd Couple's Itinerary are welcome. Longer train rides are fine in moderation as we're used to having to drive 2-3 hours to get anywhere outside our city, and rail travel is rare enough for both of us to practically count as entertainment. (Gods, we're such uncultured Okies!) We're taking the Aparthotel route in London, so we can easily make our own breakfast, do lunch while out in the world, and either cook or get takeaway in the evenings before going out again.

Replies:

That sounds like a great trip! Are you going to London, or elsewhere?

As for the work assertiveness stuff, it's a fine line and it frustrates me, too. When I first started my job (which involves managing people/workflow), I tried so hard to be nice that I didn't get much done. It took a while (several years, actually) to just start asking people to do stuff and not feeling bossy/bad -- because, hey, it's my job to keep them on deadline! It helps that my boss has always backed me up. Do you have a similar mentor/supervisor who you know will support you?

My boss has been an awesome mentor, and very helpful as I navigate all this and learn how to be a "just bad enough" cop. I just suffered for a few years under someone who WAS challenging to work with at times (She was in the job I occupy now, actually), and now that she's retired, I am probably overly worried about "turning into her". There are some similarities in our personalities and skills, though I also think working with her helped me see the dark sides to some pretty positive traits we both have, like that aforementioned assertiveness. My boss and trusted coworkers have told me I'm handling things beautifully, and can safely be a little less sensitive/paranoid about inadvertantly turning into a bull in a china shop. :-)

As for today:

1. CHEAT DAY! I have been nomming accordingly, but not overeating either.

2. My long steady 5K walk--MUCH LESS decoupling of HR and effort, surprising given I've only been at this a week. I think I might be able to set a more ambitious pace goal, but I'm going to wait on that till after the UK, when i get into training proper.

3. another lovely morning with Kevin, am about to take a bath with my Zen book.

4. No transcribing yet today as I've continued to work on sorting out trip logistics (sometimes I think I missed my calling as a travel agent), but I hope to put in an hour or two after dinner, and hit it hard tomorrow. :-)

Hope everyone's having a good weekend!

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines