Now 20% Geekier, OKLibrarian is back!

Oklibrarian

Mini-update: I did indeed put in an hour or two of transcribing (pretty much an hour and a half, actually) and should with luck finish this participant's data tomorrow!!! Then #2. This prez/paper is going to be quite the interesting Phenomenological pepsi challenge. And Participant 1 has inspired me on a slight tweak to my planned dissertation research question...IF I can figure out how to identify the people I'd need to talk to and get them interested in the project. Hmm.

OKLibrarian, Never making it easy for herself since 1977

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

Check out my Musings on Fandom, Life, and the connections between the two at Fandom Lenses
LEVEL: 2 | STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 4 | WIS 9 (+5 from Year of Our WTF) | CHA 5 (+3 from Year of Our WTF)
Tu, was du willst (Do What You Wish)
The Neverending Story, Michael Ende

My 2013 Challenge #1 is dedicated to Melissa Montag, 1975-2012. I Love you AnissaSis! :-)

Wow, sounds like you're starting off this challenge strong!!! And I hear you on the introverts marrying thing; as I type, Husband of Doom and I are sitting at our respective computers. We've had to learn to make time to hang out since we've had kids, though. 

And I'm super jealous of your UK trip!!! Although I do hopefully get to go to NYC for Book Expo America this summer, so I'm gonna have some travel awesome, too!!!

Hobbit Ranger seeking balance (and cookies)

Current Challenge

Heya! time to report in. First replies (to the nice people who posted! :-) )

Wow, sounds like you're starting off this challenge strong!!! And I hear you on the introverts marrying thing; as I type, Husband of Doom and I are sitting at our respective computers. We've had to learn to make time to hang out since we've had kids, though. 

And I'm super jealous of your UK trip!!! Although I do hopefully get to go to NYC for Book Expo America this summer, so I'm gonna have some travel awesome, too!!!

Yeah, I could see it becoming more of a priority after kids to consciously carve that out. For sundry reasons we're not having kids (aside from the cats), so we definitely have no excuse. And NYC sounds awesome! I've spent exactly 1 day in new york, and I'll share an anecdote: we were going to see a show before taking the train back to DC, and he had a couple hours to kill. we Debated walking over to the WTC to ride the elevator up to the top, but decided it would make the agenda too tight. I'm pretty sure I remember one of us saying we'd be back for a longer vacation at some point, and it's not like the World Trade Center would be going anywhere.

That was in May, 2001. Moral of the story kids: Carpe Diem. :-)

On a less macabre note, glad to hear Tahlequah likes you so much they're potentially sending you to NYC! I've been kind of worried about school librarians with all of the shenanigans from the state legislature.

That's so cool you lived in Dundee! I lived in Glasgow for a while, and it's been years since I last visited. I miss it and would love a return trip. Scotland FTW! :)

You said it! Does it make me a dork that I'm particularly looking forward to visiting the Stone of Scone in Scotland? (I'd seen it in westmister abbey on a previous trip) I'll only have the one day at the workshop, but I'm hoping to network a bit amongst my other librarian types--I would LOVE the chance to work there one of these days.

Now onto the daily review, a slightly mixed bag but overall quite good:

1. Back on the slow carbs today, behaved pretty much spot on. Many sundays are Movie and dinne nights with my Mother in law Joann. After Les Miz (fun for what it was, but GAWD I forgot how emo the piece is) we went to cheesecake factory for dinner and i got the tuscan chicken off the healthy menu, there was some farro at the bottom of the plate, I mostly ignored it but had a few grains. Kevin and Joann split a slice of cheesecake for dessert, I had A bite of that. I got a bowl of strawberries which i shared around (VERY nummy!) though I have to confess one or two may have accidentally er, fallen into the bowl of real whipped cream that came on the side. ;-)

2. Spin class! went quite well given our usual teacher was out today, but the sub was good and we did some slightly different body weight stuff during the strength portion of the program. I discovered I still can't do a rollup from the ground without pushing up with my elbows, so I may ask my trainer on tuesday if we can work on those. as many crunches and planks as I can knock out I think it may be an issue of balance and confidence as much as core strength. Might talk about non-girly pushups too and how I can go deeper.

3. The aformentioned afternoon with Joann, which was quite pleasant. Also scored a book at B&N on the care and feeding of subordinates that seems both useful and hilarious. if it lives up to the first 50 pages I'll plug it here.

4. No transcribing today, wasted (?) the morning on relaxing and watching Civ 5 let's plays on Youtube and spend the afternon at spin and with the fam. that's OK, Monday works too.

See y'all tomorrow!

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

Check out my Musings on Fandom, Life, and the connections between the two at Fandom Lenses
LEVEL: 2 | STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 4 | WIS 9 (+5 from Year of Our WTF) | CHA 5 (+3 from Year of Our WTF)

My 2013 Challenge #1 is dedicated to Melissa Montag, 1975-2012. I Love you AnissaSis! :-)

Wow, count me in as another person jealous of your opportunity to live in the UK, and of your upcoming trip! That's my dream world destination, to get to the UK and see stuff someday. Up until recently, I thought it would have to be something I put off indefinitely, since my husband's health hasn't really been up to major travel, but since we moved to Washington he's improved so much that now I'm thinking it may be a future possibility, after all. Amazing how much brighter the future looks when you're taking care of yourself in the present, doesn't it?

I'm glad you've got a great mentor at work - great mentors are worth their weight in gold, in my book. I've been managing libraries for twelve years now and everything I know about being a good one, I learned from the great managers and mentors who took me under their wings and helped me to be the best manager I could be. It makes going to work every day a joy, which is pretty much all any of us can ask for, right?

Great job on week 1 - here's to week 2!

Half-Giant Ranger

Current Challenge

Level: 1 STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 4 | CHA 4

"It's vital to remember who you really are. It's very important. It isn't a good idea to rely on other people to do it for you, you see. They always get it wrong." ~Sir Terry Pratchett

4. No transcribing today, wasted (?) the morning on relaxing and watching Civ 5 let's plays on Youtube and spend the afternon at spin and with the fam. that's OK, Monday works too.

OMG I thought I was the only girl in the world that enjoyed watching let's plays! Never seen a Civ V one(though I'm sure they're great), but DANG are they addicting. Why isn't playing the game yourself ever that fun? haha

Great job so far!!!

Level 1 Hylian Ranger
| STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3 |

Fitocracy

Current Challenge:

Reset. Time to save the princess. Again.

Dúnedain Team

Thanks, and I don't know! Probably because you have to like strategize and think and stuff if you actually play, and you lose the fun of yelling at the screen when the guy makes a Derp Move. ;-) Until recently I hadn't played Civ 5 since the new expansion came out, so It's also useul as an intro to the new game dynamics.

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

salty crunchy stuff is more my downfall, as i don't actually have that much of a sweet tooth.That said, I told Kevin I wouldn't mind swinging back through there on a cheat day sometime soon...;-)

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

Hey! busy few days. Quick recap:

1. had a minor slip on monday (had a corn dog on the way home from work because I was ravenous and I deluded myself into thinking o could just peel off the breading) and in the process of seeing if I could afford an afternoon snack discovered I need to be eating about 400 more calories a day than I was. Morning AND afternoon snacks were added yesterday, and things are much better now.

2. Working out continues to go well, I've decided that 5 workouts a week makes more sense than 6 ATM, will take mondays and fridays as my off days.

3: catching up with my classmates the last few days, and staying in touch with online friends. Kept my head during a mild work crisis yesterday.

4. No transcribing, was getting ready for tuesday and wednesday classes. Maybe tonight if I'm not beat? In other news I have the option to submit my research as an article in either march or september--I had delusions of writing it up in time for the former but I think it's gonna be the latter. now I'm not going tenure track there is NO REASON to kill myself to meet the earlier deadline. May have to remind myself of that a few dozen times though.

see you when next i see you, and i hope to catch up on friends' threads then!

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

Great job during those busy few days! I'm there with you on the importance of not killing myself for deadlines.  Glad you're eating enough to not get the super munchies, too.

Keep up the good work!

Half-Giant Ranger

Current Challenge

Level: 1 STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 4 | CHA 4

"It's vital to remember who you really are. It's very important. It isn't a good idea to rely on other people to do it for you, you see. They always get it wrong." ~Sir Terry Pratchett

Wow, looks like you've been doing so well!  Congrats on the consistency of your exercising!  Agreed on the morning and afternoon tea snacks.  They really help.

If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month.

Teddy Roosevelt

Heya! time to report in. First replies (to the nice people who posted! :-) )

Yeah, I could see it becoming more of a priority after kids to consciously carve that out. For sundry reasons we're not having kids (aside from the cats), so we definitely have no excuse. And NYC sounds awesome! I've spent exactly 1 day in new york, and I'll share an anecdote: we were going to see a show before taking the train back to DC, and he had a couple hours to kill. we Debated walking over to the WTC to ride the elevator up to the top, but decided it would make the agenda too tight. I'm pretty sure I remember one of us saying we'd be back for a longer vacation at some point, and it's not like the World Trade Center would be going anywhere.

That was in May, 2001. Moral of the story kids: Carpe Diem. :-)

On a less macabre note, glad to hear Tahlequah likes you so much they're potentially sending you to NYC! I've been kind of worried about school librarians with all of the shenanigans from the state legislature.

Oooh, don't get me started on the state legislature. Let's just say I'm starting to consider what other options might be for long-term employment (like in the next 5-10 years) because of all the crap being handed down in K-12 education. I'm not really worried about losing my job with the current administration, but if my small rural district gets consolidated...yeah. 

The NYC thing is because I won a free entry to BEA since I'm a librarian; I still have to cover travel costs, though. Still super excited!

Glad your challenge is going well!!! Good for you for adjusting things so they work for you! Glad you're getting enough calories now!

Hobbit Ranger seeking balance (and cookies)

Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines