DirtyLittleSecrets First Challenge

I'm a server as well as a full time student going to college. I love cooking and creating new wonderful meals to enjoy and share with my friends but have difficulty sticking to healthy eating practices while I'm at work (bringing out chicken wings causes all sorts of horrible cravings). I'm sporadically going to the gym and have been getting better at going more frequently but that's something I really want to work on. My New Year resolution is to be able to pass the Marines Physical Fitness test with a gold star score and although that's a pretty lofty goal right now I believe that this challenge and the goals I chose will help me get there.

Diet and Fitness Goals:

1. Get to the gym three times a week (classes at school don't count!).

STR:2 | DEX:2 | STA: 1

I signed up for the college course to become a personal trainer because it was one of the few programs left available after my first choice was cancelled. I'm still really nervous about going to the gym and being in the weight room while it's busy. Getting there and doing something for at least 30 minutes is the goal, even if I chicken out of my weight routine I have to do something to make it worth my while.

Epic achievement: If I manage to go in the weight room and complete my routine every time I head to the gym I'm going to treat myself to a massage.

2. Only eat at work (it's a restaurant) two times each week

CON:1 | WIS: 1 | CHA:1

I'm a part-time server while going to school. Sometimes it's difficult to plan meals around school when I immediately work right after but it's better for my wallet and my waistline. Snacks are acceptable to bring as something to tide me over till I get home but no more than two meals purchased at work each week!

3. Bed time is 12:00AM. Get some sleep, woman!

STA: 1 | CON: 1 | WIS: 1

I'm a fiend for staying up until 3 AM watching Glee or documentaries. Not only does it affect my schooling but also my health. The first 2 weeks are going to be about working myself back towards going to bed closer to 12AM and the last 4 weeks are going to be dedicated to making it a habit. I have one free pass each week for staying up later until 1:30 since I need some semblance of a social life and going to see live shows is a big part of that.

Level Up My Life Goal:

1. Try to get a new job:

CHA: 4

Create an up to date resume as well as cover letter and personally hand it to the manager of 4 more successful restaurants in town.

• Like 1

Race: Dwarf Class: Ranger Level: 3

STR: 9 | DEX: 7 | STA: 9 | CON: 6 | WIS: 9 | CHA: 8

Current-5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that... You find someone to carry you

Progress Update:

Monday night at the gym went great! I managed to get my weight session done even though the Y was packed with new faces. Today I'm helping my friend Charlene through a new workout routine then heading to the Y with one of my classmates.

I haven't had a shift at work since this challenged started but my first one will be tomorrow.  I've taken out a whole chicken to put in the slow cooker so I have a meal to bring and plan on bringing a couple snacks so when the urge to randomly munch comes up I'll be prepared.

I've managed to get myself into bed by 12:45AM each night. I haven't had a problem going to bed each night since the first was after my gym day and yesterday a date I went on consisted of going cross country skiing. I'm concerned to see how well I sleep after my shift tomorrow. I'm the closing server (which means I might be there till 11) but plan to do a light yoga session and have a tea right after my shift to see if that helps me calm down.

As for my level up my life goal I've started looking at different restaurants around town and which ones I should apply to. One in my neighbourhood is looking so I'm going to bring in a resume by Sunday. That gives me a day or two to work on my resume and get it proofread by the employment center in town.

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that... You find someone to carry you

Great job! the weight room is definitely a bit intimidating at first, but quickly you realize that almost nobody really cares who else is in there. :-) good luck with the sleeping habits and the Job hunt! I've worked food service before and it's HARD to avoid overeating. At least you spend most of your time on your feat burning a decent chunk of it...

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

Check out my Musings on Fandom, Life, and the connections between the two at Fandom Lenses
LEVEL: 2 | STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 4 | WIS 9 (+5 from Year of Our WTF) | CHA 5 (+3 from Year of Our WTF)
Tu, was du willst (Do What You Wish)
The Neverending Story, Michael Ende

My 2013 Challenge #1 is dedicated to Melissa Montag, 1975-2012. I Love you AnissaSis! :-)

Don't worry about the people working out in the weight room. I'm this skinny, scrawny little Irish guy and although at first when I started going to my gym it seemed very intimidating, as Ok mentions, you realize that really nobody cares, they usually just show up, do their routines and head out.

You will benefit so much from doing the free weight training work after a while you'll feel like a pro and people will be looking at you for direction, lol. 

Good luck, DLS! I can appreciate the resolution to pass the Marine Corps Fitness Test.  I took it a couple of weeks ago (for fun?!?) and scored a lot lower than I expected.  And get some sleep, woman!

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

Haha, I definitely share your sleep goal - I do that terrible thing too of accidentally staying up until the wee hours of the morning usually doing something really pointless, and then I'm just sleep deprived and waking up late and generally useless. I'm focusing on my waking-up time rather than my bedtime though, but I might add a clause about being in bed by 12 unless I'm out with friends or at a party...

Good luck with your goals!

HERANJE

Level 2 Half-Orc Adventurer

STR 3.5 DEX 4 STA 4 CON 7 WIS 5.5 CHA 5

Daily Progress Log

Real-Life RP: Storified Quest to Free My Inner Wood Elf

Progress Update:

I managed to go to the gym three times this week and I even learned a thing or two! There was a really helpful personal trainer that corrected my form on deadlifts and out class visited a cross fit gym that had a really cool free session for whoever wanted to try. I'm becoming more confident in my ability to do a pull up and am considering getting a chin up bar put in when I move to the new apartment. I'm really patting myself on the back for this one, I'm happy with sticking to the plan.

I've only had two shifts since the challenge started and I've already given in to eating at work twice, which means I'll just have to be extra prepared with food to tide me over tomorrow. It'll be an especially good challenge since it's a morning shift (starts at 6:30AM) and I'm notorious for ordering two breakfast sandwiches with a fruit cocktail.

I've been pretty good at getting myself to bed by 12:30 with the exception of last night (Best friends birthday party). Tomorrow night will be another not in bed by a reasonable time since it's my staff Christmas party but after that I'll be ready to hermit for a long time.

Resume is completed ! The place I wanted to hand it into by tomorrow is closed for the weekend (private function) but should be open on Monday. One of my friends mentioned a girl just quit at her workplace and they're looking for a new server so I'll be sending it in with her as well.

Sounds like good progress. Hope bringing some food to work keeps you on target! :-)

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

Check out my Musings on Fandom, Life, and the connections between the two at Fandom Lenses
LEVEL: 2 | STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 4 | WIS 9 (+5 from Year of Our WTF) | CHA 5 (+3 from Year of Our WTF)
Tu, was du willst (Do What You Wish)
The Neverending Story, Michael Ende

My 2013 Challenge #1 is dedicated to Melissa Montag, 1975-2012. I Love you AnissaSis! :-)

Haha, I definitely share your sleep goal - I do that terrible thing too of accidentally staying up until the wee hours of the morning usually doing something really pointless, and then I'm just sleep deprived and waking up late and generally useless. I'm focusing on my waking-up time rather than my bedtime though, but I might add a clause about being in bed by 12 unless I'm out with friends or at a party...

Good luck with your goals!

I'm with Heranje on this one. I get hooked watching Ellen videos on Youtube and look up and it's 1am.  Plus my job messes with my sleep schedule a lot.  I'll keep this goal in mind for the next challenge. Let me know any tips you find for getting to bed.

Level 1: Half-Orc (eventually Half-Elf)

Profession: Ranger (eventually Monk)

STR: 1, DEX: 1, STA: 1, CON: 5, WIS: 3, CHA: 4

Holy geeze!

I've had a crazy couple of weeks with school starting up again, a couple people at work being fired, and moving into a new apartment (that doesn't have internet *tear*). I've been able to make it to the gym regularly, but with the influx of Resolution gym goers I've put my strength training off until I get home or after my class. This has helped me learn a lot about body weight moves and a few of the guys in my class have been really helpful with teaching me spotting techniques and critiquing my form.

I've found that if I exercise everyday usually I'm tuckered out by 11:30. I'm only going out on nights it actually seems worthwhile and sleeping a lot better. I'm fighting off a cold so I'm still late for my classes (sleeping in might be my next goal lol). Avoiding the TV or the computer seems to help, as does having a warm herbal tea and reading.

It's amazing having a new roommate because the amount that I eat at work has dropped off. Being able to cook for someone else is a huge boon. Moving in with her has been fantastic, I can already feel how much happier I am and it's showing in my work at school and the restaurant. We've installed a chin up bar and both decided we're going to do a local 5k in August so it's nice to have a built in accountabilibuddy.  I handed out all my resumes but haven't had a callback yet. I didn't have high hopes for getting a new job around this time of year, but the A is in the effort right? Work has been picking up as well with our new dinner buffet and I'm being trained on bar so I might not need to get a new job :D.

Grade myself! 

Diet and Fitness Goals:

1. Get to the gym three times a week (classes at school don't count!).

STR:2 | DEX:2 | STA: 1

I signed up for the college course to become a personal trainer because it was one of the few programs left available after my first choice was cancelled. I'm still really nervous about going to the gym and being in the weight room while it's busy. Getting there and doing something for at least 30 minutes is the goal, even if I chicken out of my weight routine I have to do something to make it worth my while.

Overall Grade: A- or  
85%

I wasn't able to keep as rigid of a schedule for getting to the gym as I wanted (I was aiming for Mon, Wed,Fri) because of work, school, and being sick a few times but I felt like I did well. If I didn't get to the Y I went to the school gym and I started doing more workout videos at home when I didn't have time for either. The amount of progress I made while there is questionable but I definitely put myself into a good habit of wanting to go (which is what I wanted out of it). I failed my epic achievement of always hitting the weights when I went to the gym but did learn how to stand my ground a bit better against naysayers and creeps.

2. Only eat at work (it's a restaurant) two times each week

CON:1 | WIS: 1 | CHA:1

I'm a part-time server while going to school. Sometimes it's difficult to plan meals around school when I immediately work right after but it's better for my wallet and my waistline. Snacks are acceptable to bring as something to tide me over till I get home but no more than two meals purchased at work each week!

Overall Grade: F or 40%
I failed that one hard. Although I started eating much better at work (bringing in my own whole wheat pasta, having salads with chicken or shrimp, drinking club soda instead of diet cola after diet cola) I couldn't keep to only eating there twice a week. It's going to be a much bigger transition than I initially expected and I should have tried to have a bit more foresight into what I might encounter.

3. Bed time is 12:00AM. Get some sleep, woman!

STA: 1 | CON: 1 | WIS: 1

I'm a fiend for staying up until 3 AM watching Glee or documentaries. Not only does it affect my schooling but also my health. The first 2 weeks are going to be about working myself back towards going to bed closer to 12AM and the last 4 weeks are going to be dedicated to making it a habit. I have one free pass each week for staying up later until 1:30 since I need some semblance of a social life and going to see live shows is a big part of that.

Overall Grade: A+ or 100%

I'm not staying up till early hours each night anymore for ridiculious reasons. I'm getting to class on time much more often, I'm feeling better rested, and I've noticed that it's helped me prioritize what's worthwhile to stay up for (last weekend I was volunteering with Rotary Youth Exchange and stayed up a few times past 12:30, but each was worthwhile and I had no problem getting back into my regular routine). Go team Dirty!

Level Up My Life Goal:

1. Try to get a new job:

CHA: 4

Create an up to date resume as well as cover letter and personally hand it to the manager of 4 more successful restaurants in town.

Overall Grade: A+ or 100%

Did I get a new job? No. Did I hand out 4 resumes with excellent cover letters? Yes. Did I even get an interview? No.

I did however get experience handing out resumes and a few of the managers said once business starts to pick up in the summer I might get a call. I'll probably try to hand out resumes again once the semester is almost out and hopefully get something more towards my future field of employment.

With the change over to the main quest challenges I took out the second challenge I did. I don't remember a large amount of if I completed my goals and due to my spotty internet access didn't post enough for me to be comfotable using it.

For this quest I only awarded myself the points for Goal 1, 3, and 2 Charisma points for the level up my life goal.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines