• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I am Eve

Evenewbies skiing challenge, am I crazy...?

Ok, so I am probably in better shape now than when I was young(er) - but I want more.

At 45 years I weigh about 72 kilos (height 169 centimeters (5 foot 8 or so)).

I am working 50%, on my way back from a fatigue syndrome and physical training has been an important part of that journey. 

On February 22nd I'm participating in a race (the shorter version of Vasaloppet; cross-country skiing). I'm kind of a newbie so I need a lot of practice.

My goals

-to ski at least four times a week

A: 4 B:3 C:2 D:1 E and F:0

-to go to bed at eleven pm the latest on weekdays to make sure I get enough sleep

A:five days B:four days C:three days D:two days E:one day and F:zero

-to lose 2 kilos

A: 2 kilos B: 1,5 C: 1 D: 0,5 E: 0,25 F: 0

"Lifegoal"

To eat sweets only once a week. I have a terrible sweet tooth and need to cut down

A: 6 times during the challenge B: 8 C:10 D:12 E:14 F:more than that

I plan to achieve my goals through

Skiing

-planning...I am an Apple addict and use my Iphone for everything so I schedule my workouts carefully 

-I am good at using workout clothes that I feel comfortable and look good in and that really helps for me

-keeping track on my workouts through apps (I use Map my run) makes it more fun and I can compare the different workouts as regards to time and length, etc

Weight loss

-calorie counting, yet another app which is useful and allows me to enter workouts as well

-eating food with a low glycemic index keeps my blood glucose levels more stabile and me happier 

Sleeping

-involving my partner who also needs to go to bed at a reasonable hour

-setting an alarm for when it's time to wind down in the evening

Ok, the grading A-F.

I looked at some other threads so I hope I understood how to do that.

So, I hope that was all because it's nearing my bedtime

See you soon

I'm pretty sure it's skiied, it looks strange though. I didn't learn how to ski until I was an adult and then I started downhill. That's fun but a completely different experience compared to X country. When looking for silence and meditation through movement this is perfect (and gives a very complete workout ). I totally recommend it.

"Hey Eve! Welcome to the Druids! You are so not crazy :) Love the goals. Great work with strategy and formatting."

Thank you, I felt a bit confused for a while;-)

I've only been skiing once in my life but I loved it! I like your goal of setting an alarm at night when it's time to wind down. I struggle with going to bed at a decent hour as well. Maybe I'll borrow that idea? Lol. 

Welcome to the druids. Those are great goals. I'm from Texas, so when people talk about cross country skiing I always have to ask, "How do you put wheels on the boat?" I'm tracking calories myself and have for a while. I find I get an intuitive sense about what and how much I can eat when I pay attention to calorie content as I enter foods. It's certainly helped me control my portions. Good luck

Thank you Tanktimus! Well, wheels aren't such a bad idea-a lot of people "rollerski" here in the summer. I have never tried it though.

I agree that it is a learning procedure with the calories and it gets easier as one "gets a feeling".

Summary day two.

This is a lot more fun than I even hoped for (the forum I mean). So many interesting people and so much inspiration!

Skiing day 1: 6,8 kilometers and today 10,9. Feeling very pleased and quite tired having practiced a lot of "double poling"!

I am in bed and it's 9:30 pm.

And, today I weighed myself (72,6 kilos) and took pictures that I am not sure that I will ever show anyone. But we'll see.

Great start, Eve!  Skiing is a particularly demanding activity, its neat that you have decided to tackle it!  I wouldn't stand a chance at it right now.

I wish you best of luck with your goals!

Thank you! Yes it is demanding, especially since I ( and many others I guess) usually do more lower body workouts and my arms have been neglected.

So tired after third day of skiing in a row. Still feel very proud to improve my time per kilometer even though today felt hard.
I just prepared dinner and plan to rest tonight until I go to bed. Also rest tomorrow regarding the skiing. My arms need to recover a bit.

Other goals are up to date - with the skiing I don't have any problems keeping my calorie count and I get so tired I want to go to bed really early.

Sending the energy I have left your way

Aaand I made it:-)

10 kilometers at good speed. I'm very content.

Why did I succeed?

Willpower, but also paving the way by already having brought with me my clothes and skis. No excuses to be made there.

Evenewbie, those are some straightforward, simple goals!

You have your partner in on the sleeping goal, apps to help you keep track of things, and training for a race; you have motivation and preparation!

That picture reminds me of winters here in Northern Canada.  How long is skiing season?

Evenewbie, those are some straightforward, simple goals!

You have your partner in on the sleeping goal, apps to help you keep track of things, and training for a race; you have motivation and preparation!

That picture reminds me of winters here in Northern Canada.  How long is skiing season?

Thank you, it even impresses me when you phrase it that way :nevreness:

I think I'm on approximately the same latitude as you, season is from November or whenever the snow settles until March-April. Same as yours?

So. Very tired, sad and lacking motivation but still managed to drag myself out today. Yay!

I think I skiied faster than ever (think, because my phone played a prank and didn't record so I had to backtrack the times). Anyway: 10,6 kilometers. V pleased. It seems I make good results when out of inspiration. Interesting ...

So. One week today and all my goals have been filled.

#Skiied 4 times last week

#Went to bed on time on weekdays

#Had my last sweets one week ago and am going to enjoy the ones I have today

#Look skinnier. Weightwise it's hard to tell since I use my Wii and it's not entirely reliable. Didn't gain anyway.

I have a history of an eating disorder and need to focus less on weight. It's challenging...

So-everyone-let's make this week even better!!!!!

Thanks for the feedback and advice Tanktimus, I'll consider it.

I just got over my resistance against pictures so I guess I could manage the measuring....

Aaah. I just love soaking in the tub as a reward after skiing (and as a means to get warm.....)

Wednesday check in;

I skiied Monday and today so if I continue this way it'll be every other day this week

Going to bed on time seems to work fine. I might push it so I go to bed a little earlier still.

Doing well on calories as well-but not losing the weight. Thinking A) that it's early still and B) that I'm probably increasing muscle mass, at least a little.

Sweets. So far so good but I really wanted them when I went shopping earlier.

Sending good vibes and willpower your way (that's how I make it when hands are so cold I just want to scream)