• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Maris Stella

MarisStella January 2013 Challenge!

I want one of those stand-up desks SO BAD but they won't let me have it. Apparently it's expensive. 

But good call on the stool-thing. Have you (or anyone reading) used a ball chair before? They look absurd, but some people seem to love them.

You're very welcome, we're all in this together right?

Reading a lot baout those Standup desks lately. Are they really better for your posture? Also doesn't that get kinda exhausting after 6-8 hours just standing there?

Maybe it could be something as simple as raising or lowering your keyboard and screen.

Good call. I'll see if I can adjust those.

Reading a lot baout those Standup desks lately. Are they really better for your posture? Also doesn't that get kinda exhausting after 6-8 hours just standing there?

Yes and yes. But you get used to it. I know a lot of people have a bar stool-height chair on hand, just in case, but as long as you wear comfortable shoes that's not an unmanageable length of time. 

It's honestly less for posture and more for everything else. Sitting all day is basically the worst thing you can do for your body, and we really weren't built to sit in chairs, specifically. 

The coolest thing I have ever seen are the desks that have HYDRAULICS and can be either sit-down or stand-up. That way you can train yourself over time to stand more, and adjust as needed!

I want one of those stand-up desks SO BAD but they won't let me have it. Apparently it's expensive. 

But good call on the stool-thing. Have you (or anyone reading) used a ball chair before? They look absurd, but some people seem to love them.

Yes they are expensive but it's also expensive to have an employee with pain....My opinion.

No, haven't used the ball chair but it looks cool and doesn't let you slouch...

I see, sounds great then. Wouldn't it be possible to just, you know extend the legs of your existing table? Maybe a carpenter could make extension for your table legs? And failing that just longer legs that fit the table? :)

Hydraulics does sound awesome though, but everythin techy is awesome to me.

Yes they are expensive but it's also expensive to have an employee with pain....My opinion.

No, haven't used the ball chair but it looks cool and doesn't let you slouch...

I agree, mais alas. Corporate America.

I see, sounds great then. Wouldn't it be possible to just, you know extend the legs of your existing table? Maybe a carpenter could make extension for your table legs? And failing that just longer legs that fit the table? :)

Hydraulics does sound awesome though, but everythin techy is awesome to me.

Unfortunately I have a cubicle, and everything is attached to everything else (also: made of steel). As much as I wish this weren't the case, there is no way around my desk's height. They won't even remove the parts of my cube that are desk, and let me bring in my own. This situation is all about cost/benefit analysis. When companies thought about how people should work, they were thinking about how to cram a ton of people in, not about how humans work best. (Which is why my goal this year is to open my own business.)

Fortunately there's pressure from forward-thinking companies like Facebook and Google, for companies to change their ways. Maybe someday!

In the meantime, I can dream:

http://www.geekdesk.com/

I agree, mais alas. Corporate America.

Unfortunately I have a cubicle, and everything is attached to everything else (also: made of steel). As much as I wish this weren't the case, there is no way around my desk's height. They won't even remove the parts of my cube that are desk, and let me bring in my own. This situation is all about cost/benefit analysis. When companies thought about how people should work, they were thinking about how to cram a ton of people in, not about how humans work best. (Which is why my goal this year is to open my own business.)

Fortunately there's pressure from forward-thinking companies like Facebook and Google, for companies to change their ways. Maybe someday!

In the meantime, I can dream:

http://www.geekdesk.com/

Oh the cubicle modern cages of mankind! I hope you succeed in starting your own business

Ok. This update is not so good.

I've been sick all week and have really slacked off on everything. On top of that I am just very down emotionally, which might be a symptom of feeling sick. I'm not an emotional eater, but I'm definitely not an emotional chef, either...so I've been eating inconsistently and not very well. Mostly just working (from home), and sleeping. 

Got an hour of yoga in on Monday, but haven't done it since. I guess there's still time.

This is all very lame because I woke up Tuesday and noticed that my body is already looking slimmer, probably owing to the sudden absence of soda and cheese in my diet.  I've also seen progress with the morning yoga stretches (which I don't really count toward my total, because it's only a few minutes at a time). If I can get into crow pose or fold my head down to my knees, there will be pictures. But even with all that, I still have this quitter-voice nagging me, telling me that this is all completely impossible. That voice is always so insistent when anything is hard.

Next week I am leaving for a week, starting Wednesday, for my dear friend's wedding. I hope I have fully recovered by then because I *really* can't afford to be sick. Fortunately I don't have to worry about getting my yoga and clean meals in, because it's a very health-conscious group of people.

Ok. This update is not so good.

I've been sick all week and have really slacked off on everything. On top of that I am just very down emotionally, which might be a symptom of feeling sick. I'm not an emotional eater, but I'm definitely not an emotional chef, either...so I've been eating inconsistently and not very well. Mostly just working (from home), and sleeping. 

Bad things sometimes happen, no one is impervious to sickness. Don't worry 'bout it, just stay calm and focused. I wish you the best for a speedy recovery! 

Got an hour of yoga in on Monday, but haven't done it since. I guess there's still time.

This is all very lame because I woke up Tuesday and noticed that my body is already looking slimmer, probably owing to the sudden absence of soda and cheese in my diet.  I've also seen progress with the morning yoga stretches (which I don't really count toward my total, because it's only a few minutes at a time). If I can get into crow pose or fold my head down to my knees, there will be pictures. But even with all that, I still have this quitter-voice nagging me, telling me that this is all completely impossible. That voice is always so insistent when anything is hard.

AWESOME that you can see your progress. There will be even more if you manage to stick to your goals. I know you can do it, and so do you. Just ignore that voice, or better yet override it with encouragement. Next time you hear that voice, think about what super-you would do, and then instead of quitting, you do that. Works like a charm for me :) 

Next week I am leaving for a week, starting Wednesday, for my dear friend's wedding. I hope I have fully recovered by then because I *really* can't afford to be sick. Fortunately I don't have to worry about getting my yoga and clean meals in, because it's a very health-conscious group of people.

Enjoy the wedding and try to get as much support from your friends as possible. I'm sure your next week will be full of awesome and amazingness!

Ha, I love how you talked about procrastinating things that you're looking forward to. I do the exact same thing. It's like my subconscious kicks in anytime I plan to do something that will benefit me, and distracts me in every way possible. What sabotage! Especially with health related things. 

Try not to let yourself be down for too long. It's a sad, sad spiral. Try to work on things that make you happy. Dancing around the kitchen in pajamas? Oh yeah. Singing in the shower? Only with a shampoo bottle microphone ;) Sometimes silly things help us break out of ruts that we get stuck in occasionally. Best of luck to you!

Ha, I love how you talked about procrastinating things that you're looking forward to. I do the exact same thing. It's like my subconscious kicks in anytime I plan to do something that will benefit me, and distracts me in every way possible. What sabotage! Especially with health related things. 

Try not to let yourself be down for too long. It's a sad, sad spiral. Try to work on things that make you happy. Dancing around the kitchen in pajamas? Oh yeah. Singing in the shower? Only with a shampoo bottle microphone ;) Sometimes silly things help us break out of ruts that we get stuck in occasionally. Best of luck to you!

I think that happens because anticipation is the best kind of excitement. Just take the first step, you'll be fine.

Bad things sometimes happen, no one is impervious to sickness. Don't worry 'bout it, just stay calm and focused. I wish you the best for a speedy recovery! 

AWESOME that you can see your progress. There will be even more if you manage to stick to your goals. I know you can do it, and so do you. Just ignore that voice, or better yet override it with encouragement. Next time you hear that voice, think about what super-you would do, and then instead of quitting, you do that. Works like a charm for me :)

Enjoy the wedding and try to get as much support from your friends as possible. I'm sure your next week will be full of awesome and amazingness!

Thank you, substix :)

You always have such encouraging words. I definitely need to envision "super-me." I am sure super-me does not tolerate the nagging quitter voice.

And I am definitely looking forward to the wedding. It's going to be lovely!

Thanks! Yeah, the silly stuff is definitely the way to go. I'm fortunate to have a very silly household. I think I'll put your suggestions into practice tonight :)

Oh yes, the quitter voice, I know that one. Well change is difficult and takes a tremendously long time and we resist. Sometimes more and sometimes less. It does get easier though, we just need to be really stubborn and sometimes don't think or listen, just do what we set out to do - mechanically.

Wishing you lots of energy from the wedding. You can do it.

Thank you, substix :)

You always have such encouraging words. I definitely need to envision "super-me." I am sure super-me does not tolerate the nagging quitter voice.

And I am definitely looking forward to the wedding. It's going to be lovely!

You're very welcome  :)

I hope you can have a good time there, even when trying to follow your goals!

Great goals and I love how you phrased them!

Enjoy the wedding. I look forward to reading about how you did while traveling.

So tell me, how many words did you write today? If the answer is 0. Please get off the forums and go write! :D

Uhh a wedding. Awesome!

Did Chanda get you to bring some words down yesterday?

She is awesome at motivating people...

Good job so far. You nearly got half of it!

Uhh a wedding. Awesome!

Did Chanda get you to bring some words down yesterday?

She is awesome at motivating people...

Good job so far. You nearly got half of it!

No response so far so I expect lots of writing is taking place... or maybe too much fun at the wedding? The anticipation is killing me!

Now if Chanda could only motivate herself. ;)

Thanks guys! And yes, Chanda, that was effective :)

I think I got about five pages written. None of it is polished but I'm realizing I need to do a lot of foundation work before I get started (The 90 Day Novel is helping me work through this stuff, and has convinced me that the preliminary work should all be world/character building...which happens right after right-brain engagement. Whoooops. So that's why I wasn't getting anywhere ><)

I am in DC now and internet is 13 DOLLARS A DAY so I probably won't check in again until I return next Tuesday. The wedding is Saturday, so no festivities yet, but I won't party too hard. I mean, the bride is starting out day of wedding party primping with a private yoga class for her and her maids. The whole thing is going to be beautiful and fun and I am just so happy to be here, even if the weather is reminding me why I love living in southern California.

Best of luck to you all this week, or better yet, best of WILL. Thank you for your support and I will be back to stalk all your challenge threads next week >:-D

Thanks guys! And yes, Chanda, that was effective :)

I mean, the bride is starting out day of wedding party primping with a private yoga class for her and her maids. The whole thing is going to be beautiful and fun and I am just so happy to be here, even if the weather is reminding me why I love living in southern California.

>:-D

What a great idea for starting off a wedding day.  I wish I had done that. 

I'm back! The wedding was beautiful. I'm so happy for my friends :)

But, the day after my last post, whatever bug I had suddenly zerged me. Honestly, that was the sickest I have been since I had swine flu, years ago. And the freezing cold weather really exacerbated the whole thing. SO. I am giving myself a diet/exercise pass for last week. I don't know if that's appropriate, but there was absolutely nothing I could have done. Getting around very slowly was exhausting in and of itself, and I was subsisting on a diet of water, tea, orange juice, and the occasional handful of crackers. (Couldn't even find a bowl of soup in that town that wasn't cream based.)

Frustrating, because I know this thing is 6-weeks long in order to build new habits. 

Feeling a whole lot better as of yesterday, though, and eating a full, healthy meal last night felt amazing! 

I need to find a way to really amp up the last three weeks, to feel like I've made the most of this challenge despite this relentless virus. I am open to suggestions! I am thinking of increasing the yoga requirement to 5/week for weeks 5 and 6, and maybe also the clean meal requirement. 

I hope everyone else's week went awesome! I'll scamper over to your threads this evening.

You can increase your goals. But I do not recommend it. Just stick with them again.

I'm glad you feel better!

Yes we do build new habits. But when you are sick you are sick.

Don't worry, just continue with the awesomeness of the weeks before!

Take a look at the challenge!

I'm back! The wedding was beautiful. I'm so happy for my friends :)

But, the day after my last post, whatever bug I had suddenly zerged me. Honestly, that was the sickest I have been since I had swine flu, years ago. And the freezing cold weather really exacerbated the whole thing. SO. I am giving myself a diet/exercise pass for last week. I don't know if that's appropriate, but there was absolutely nothing I could have done. Getting around very slowly was exhausting in and of itself, and I was subsisting on a diet of water, tea, orange juice, and the occasional handful of crackers. (Couldn't even find a bowl of soup in that town that wasn't cream based.)

Frustrating, because I know this thing is 6-weeks long in order to build new habits. 

Feeling a whole lot better as of yesterday, though, and eating a full, healthy meal last night felt amazing! 

I need to find a way to really amp up the last three weeks, to feel like I've made the most of this challenge despite this relentless virus. I am open to suggestions! I am thinking of increasing the yoga requirement to 5/week for weeks 5 and 6, and maybe also the clean meal requirement. 

I hope everyone else's week went awesome! I'll scamper over to your threads this evening.

Welcome Back :) I hope you had a nice time at the wedding? :)

Slip up is no big deal, as long as you get right back into it aftwards. Dunno if it's necessary to tighten your requirements for goal you have. I think it's better to keep your goals an achieve them than to make them harder and fail. In the end it's your decision though.