"It's only work if somebody makes you do it."

BearsBeetsBSG

My last challenge was met with limited success, but with that came a lot of learning. There were bouts of fuckarounditis, bouts of actual illness at the end and in some cases just a lack of motivation. This challenge, I want to make my goals a little more broad and a little less strict. I realize that's just about the opposite of what good goals are supposed to be, but last time I realized, especially for my smoking and food tracking goals, that once I missed once, it became easier to say "Oh well, already messed that one up anyway."

Goal #1: Bigger, stronger legs

If you've followed any of my challenges before, you've seen that pistols have been a goal of mine for a long time. I always took the approach of half-assedly working in partial pistols and maybe another leg exercise and hoping for the best. This time, I'm putting the pistol itself on the shelf and focusing on my leg strength in general. This is going to be accomplished via weighted squats, weighted Bulgarian split squats, weighted lunges, weighted SL Deadlifts and beginning work towards GHR's. The weight won't be able to go crazy high, as I'll be working with the 60 lb weight vest that I got for Christmas (thanks Mom!), but should be sufficient for the time being. 1 quad + 1 posterior chain exercise per workout. I also plan on eating quite a bit to help with recovery/building up muscles. Points available: 3 STR, 1 STA

Goal #2: Active recovery

This is something I've never really put too much focus on. I just sort of dealt with being sore and stiff on the days after my workouts. Well, no more! The last thing I need is to hurt myself. The plan here is go get at least some sort of active recovery exercise in on my off days. Ideally, I'd like it to be a run followed by some stretching, but I realize that won't be the case every time. Any sort of running/stretching/yoga will do. Something to get the muscles worked and the blood flowing. Points available: 2 DEX, 2 STA

Goal #3: MOAR RECIPES!

I almost always cook what I eat, especially for lunch at work. The other option is whatever fast food place still has a drive thru open at midnight. No thank you. However, my arsenal of recipes is rather limited, so my rotation of what I make tends to repeat itself more than I'd like it to. I'm looking to find more meals that I can easily transport to work in tupperware and that I can make several days worth of at a time. The more of these I try out, the better the grade. I'd gladly welcome any suggestions, and no, they don't have to be Paleo :) Points available: 1 CON, 2 WIS

Goal #4: New job

I simply wasn't made for the graveyard shift. I've bugged everyone with any authority at my work about getting switched to days and it's simply a no go. So with that, I move onto the job search. Well, continue the job search. I've thus far had one unsuccessful interview and one where, over the course of the interview, I learned that the job most definitely was not for me (no thank you, animal testing). My goal here is to find a new job, hopefully in the biotech/veterinary field (what to do with a B.S. in Animal Science?) that is during normal human waking hours. I realize that to a large extent, the results of this goal are out of my control. My grade will simply have to be a reflection of the effort made (unless I have a sweet new job in 6 weeks). Points available: 2 WIS, 2 CHA

Bonus Goal: Continue living smokeless

This was a main goal my last challenge, and up until the end went very well. After a short lapse, I've been back on track the entire new year and hope to keep it going.

Starting Stats:

Level 2 Cossack Assassin
STR: 2.5
DEX: 2.5
STA: 2
CON: 5
WIS: 3
CHA: 5

More to come shortly, wanted to quickly write out my goals before work.

"Before I do anything I ask myself 'Would an idiot do that?' And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing." - Dwight Kurt Schrute

Level 2 Cossack Assassin

STR: 2.5 DEX: 2.5 STA:CON:WIS:CHA: 5

Hey, you're back! Nice goals. For your MOAR RECIPES! goal, do you have a microwave at work? I have a couple different recipes I do regularly that might work for you, but they're not so good cold...

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Hey, you're back! Nice goals. For your MOAR RECIPES! goal, do you have a microwave at work? I have a couple different recipes I do regularly that might work for you, but they're not so good cold...

Thanks! It's good to be back on track. And yes, we do have a microwave!

A brand new weight vest-what fun!

It's wonderful. Endless possibilities :)

Workout log time.

1/7

Inverted Rows: 8, 8, 8, 7

Lunges: (+30 lbs) 8/8, 8/8, (+45 lbs) 8/8, 8/8

Diamond Pushups: 8, 8, 7, 6

Assisted GHR: 5, 5, 5, 5

- I think some time in the next week or two it will be time to start elevating those feet for rows.

- I upped the weight after the first two sets of lunges. I just felt like I needed a little more difficulty. I think I'll start with a higher weight next time too.

- Diamond pushups were fun as always. Really felt that last set.

- Holy crap, these are hard. Tried to give myself as little of an assist as possible. Since I'm writing this up the day after, I can most definitely say that I'm feeling them.

- Overall, glad to see that despite my lull in exercise and diet, my numbers don't seemed to have dropped off any.

"Before I do anything I ask myself 'Would an idiot do that?' And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing." - Dwight Kurt Schrute

Level 2 Cossack Assassin

Aaand today.

1/8

Rebooting the C25K program today. I had only gotten through week one before the end of the year, so I figured I'd just start it back over. Did day one today, followed by about 15 minutes of stretching. My calves were a little sore going into today from the GHRs yesterday, but are feeling better after the run.

Level 2 Cossack Assassin

Sounds like you're off to a great start with C25K and working out!

A recipe I made again last night - makes 6 servings for me if I put it over rice, freezes well and reheats to be super tasty for lunch: Chicken with Apple, Raisins and Olives

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Sounds like you're off to a great start with C25K and working out!

A recipe I made again last night - makes 6 servings for me if I put it over rice, freezes well and reheats to be super tasty for lunch: Chicken with Apple, Raisins and Olives

Ooo! That sounds hella tasty, and will definitely be tried out. I have been making a curried chicken salad for some time that lives up to the name of the article. I basically triple that recipe and that makes me 3 lunches. I either eat it on a pita or just by itself. 

Nice goals.  I too got a new weight vest for Christmas and am in love with it.

Thanks! I'm feeling the same way about mine. It's already had a big impact on my workouts and I can see endless possibilities with it. I think it will be especially helpful with sticking points in moving up to tougher exercises, like diamond -> one-arm pushups, or as I'm currently doing, squats/lunges/SL deadlifts -> pistols.

1/9

Chin Ups: 4, 3, 3, 3

Squats (+45 lbs): 8, 8, 8, 8

Dips: 3, 3, 3, 3

SL Deadlifts (+30 lbs): 5/5, 5/5, 5/5, 5/5

- Chin up numbers aren't quite at where I'm used to. I'm guessing a combination of my time off from working out and the fact that I've still definitely got some upper back/lat DOMS from the rows on Monday. Oh well, such is the price for a few lazy weeks. 

- I think I now love these about as much as I hate high rep BW squats. I'm doing them prisoner squat style, mostly because I feel like my form is much better/more consistent. I feel them in my everything.

- Wahhhhhh...Dips are hard.

- I've been doing the SL deadlifts actually holding the weight vest in my hands as opposed to wearing it. Also, another exercise that I'm enjoying much more with the added weight. Largely because I find it MUCH easier to balance with extra weight as opposed to just my bodyweight. Anyone else find that to be the case?

Level 2 Cossack Assassin

I've been doing these actually holding the weight vest in my hands as opposed to wearing it. Also, another exercise that I'm enjoying much more with the added weight. Largely because I find it MUCH easier to balance with extra weight as opposed to just my bodyweight. Anyone else find that to be the case?

Yup!  I've found that added weight helps with my balance for both pistol and shrimp squats.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Mmmm, curried chicken. Adding that to my "recipes to try" list! 

And I too find the single-leg work easier while holding a weight - I think because I can hold it way out in front to help balance...

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Glad to know I'm not the only one who found weights making things easier!

1/10

Decidedly lazy day. Did some light stretching throughout the day, made some delicious stir fry with my girlfriend, not too much else, haha.

1/11

Workout!

Inverted Row: 8, 8, 8, 8

Lunges (+45 lbs): 8/8, 8/8, 8/8, 10/10

Diamond Pushups: 8, 8, 7, 7

Assisted GHR: 6, 5, 5, 5

- I think it may be about time to level up the rows and pushups. I've been hovering near these numbers for a while now and think that a good dose of difficulty could do my muscles some good.

- Probably still had a couple reps in the tank on the lunges, but I also have to be on my feet for 12 hours tonight. Upping the weight a little next time.

- Even assisted GHRs are no joke. Everything from my calves to my lower back feels them. 

Level 2 Cossack Assassin

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines