Back at it again

bkeller87

I failed pretty epicly in the last challenge I participated in.  I did manage to lose a bit of weight, but everything else went out the window when I moved.  Now I'm settled again so I figure its time to get back at it.  I have the added bonus of an expensive bet with mmustard to keep me motivated.

1. Win the bet with mmustard, which involves having a better six-pack than him when he comes to visit for his birthday at the end of February.  This is slightly outside the timeline of the challenge, and not very measurable while its happening so my actual, measurable, realistic goal is do a core/ab workout at least 3 nights/week.

2. Learn to do a 180 grab off a jump and boardslide on a box in the terrain park on my snowboard.  We're not allowed in the park on days we're working, but I plan to make as many laps there on my off days as possible. Plus I have some park rat friends who are willing to coach me on their off days too.

3. Get down to 140lbs. Its hard for me to be Paleo on the mountain because most of my lunches get eaten cold, but I want to adjust my breakfasts and dinners to be as close to Paleo as I can.  If I can do that, and keep challenging myself with new terrain, my metabolism should be kicking!

4. Life goal: Figure out what I am going to do when the ski season ends.  I need to decide if I am going to try and get a real job or stay in funemployment.  I know the pros and cons of both, I just haven't forced myself to make a decision.

Level 2 Assassin STR - 2 | DEX - 2 | STA - 2 | CON - 4 | WIS - 3 | CHA - 2

PostPolished - Blogging Simplified

So here are some pictures of my starting points.  First one is where my six-pack stands right now, a tiny bit of definition but still a little bit of a pooch that needs to go (it doesn't help that I'm wearing my compression shorts either!).  Second one is me doing a 50/50 slide on the box. I don't have any pictures of me in the air off the jump because I've been eating shit off of it recently.

50ef5b112c048_IMG_6462.jpg

50ef58ec2b778_ScottiesCamera036.jpg

Oh, what is riding on the bet if you win / lose? I'm doing a similar competition with a few friends, except that ours ends in May, except it is anyone who doesn't have the 6-pack owes the rest of us a beer.

Loser buys dinner at the nicest restaurant on the mountain ($100/person, 4 courses)

I think we need video of goal two when it's been checked off your list. :)

I will definitely try to get video of it...I need documented proof of my badassery!

Hey hey,
Your goals seem pretty serious ones to me, especially the last one.
How has it been going the past days?

Things have been pretty great.  I just finished my second complete ab workout, and my arms are dead from bumping chairs all day.  Plus it is dumping snow on the mountain, so maybe we'll finally have a powder day tomorrow or Saturday.

Week 1 full update:

1. Six pack bet -- I've been really good with my workouts this week.  The only one I didn't do at the right time was yesterday's.  I wasn't feeling so hot and skipped it last night, but plugged it in this morning so I didn't fully skip it.  I am already starting to feel more definition, just gotta get it showing through now.

2. Boardslide and 180 -- my roommate is landing an Indie grab pretty consistently off the jump, and I am finally consistently landing the jump. I'm also not so afraid of the standard 50/50 on the box anymore.  We planned to do a bunch of laps in the park yesterday, but negative degree temperatures (and minor hangovers) prevented it.  It was so cold that my Gatorade froze before I had time to drink half of it.

3. 140lbs -- I started the challenge at about 145.5, and I'm down to 144 as of this morning.  The Paleo portion is probably going the least well of my goals, it's really hard for me to find Paleo things to bring to work when I don't have a microwave.

4.  So I've decided that since I know the pros and cons of real vs funemployment, I'm going to apply to both.  The biggest pro to real employment is that I can pay off all my debt faster and maybe even accumulate some savings.  The biggest con is that I'll probably hate it for however long I do it.  For funemployment, the payoff is slower, but my quality of life is much higher.  So I'm going to apply to each type 1:1, i.e. for each funemployment application I submit, I have to put in one for a real job as well.  My bf is giving my resume to one of his coworkers who used to be a headhunter, so we'll see if anything comes of that.

Now back to the mountain...its a bit warmer today so maybe I'll last through an entire lesson!

Hey, just wondering, what are you doing for workouts?

I have a Pinterest board filled with ab workouts (http://pinterest.com/bkeller87/win-the-bet/), so I've been doing a different one everyday so far trying to find one that I like/can actually feel in my core. 

Thanks for the Paleo suggestions.  Its been hard, especially this past week because its been so cold (-13 when I left for work Saturday), and when its that cold, I want something hot for lunch.

Glad to be of assistance.  I've found a few of those workouts that I can really feel in my core.  A couple of the bodyrock workouts I may start attempting in the next few days.

This not being allowed in the terrain park while working is really cramping my second goal.  I took a black diamond lesson yesterday which was pretty sweet, I learned to do a tripod (picture below, not of me, just of what a tripod is), so I'm feeling pretty BA right now, but I need to spend more time on the boxes.

Screen-shot-2012-05-01-at-16.27.02.png

Was at 143.6 just now before my shower! Woo!

Also, have an interview to be a zipline guide in Alaska tomorrow.  I have a bunch of friends at the ski resort that did it last summer and are going back, sounds freaking awesome!

Big weekly update.

1. Abs -- been doing my workouts regularyly.  Went to yoga on Friday, but we didn't do much core work, so I threw in an extra ab session saturday night.

2. Boardslide and 180 -- I've almost landed the boardslide yesterday.  I get the slide on the box but then just go sailing off the end of it onto my ass.  Off the jump I am consistently landing it, and even managed to land an Indie grab.

3. 140 lbs -- stepped on the scale this morning at 139lbs.  Possibly from dehydration so I'm going to keep an eye on it.

I'm trying out skiing today for the first time in 12 years, wish me luck!

Great week, hope you have a great time skiing!

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-13

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

SO I got the job in Alaska!  I will be spending mass amounts of time on a zip line this summer, woo!

Skipped my ab workout yesterday because I busted my ass on some ice walking down a few stairs and my lower back was really painful.  Did it today to make up for it though!

Skiing went better than expected. I even went over the fun box in the terrain park on my skis!  I think my roommate and I are going to buy a pair.  They have some old demo skis for sale at one of the ski shops for about $60 including bindings.

Down to roughly 143 lbs.  Had that minor blip to 139, but I was definitely dehydrated (that's what happens when you drink your bodyweight in alcohol over a 6 day period!).  I'm trying to be better about Paleo, but it's hard when I have to work with what's in my kitchen because I have no money to buy other food.  And when I say none, I mean it, I'll have about $3 left in my checking account after paying all my bills this month.

I just need a quick rant about what went on today.  Generally I love my job at the ski resort: I get to be outside, go snowboarding, and only interact with guests in 5 second conversations.  But today. it was snowing for the first time all season (like heavy continuous snow), and it was big wet flakes because it was above freezing.  My uniform is supposed to be, but is not actually, waterproof at all.  So I'm standing outside for 4 freaking hours this morning sweeping snow off the chairs for people as they load, and bumping the chairs at the same time. Then after lunch I had a couple of downloaders (people who want to ride the lift downhill rather than skiing), which is fine.  But when I went over to meet them on their side of the lift, I forgot the broom to sweep the chair.  So I used my hand.  Some bitchy woman decided that I didn't do a good enough job and felt the need to complain about it to the ticket office.  So after being soaked to the bone all day, I then had to endure two of my supervisors coming up to me and asking why I didn't sweep her chair.  I mean, I take full responsibility for not having the broom with me, but is that really a complainable offense? Especially when you're just going to get soaked on the ride down anyways because its dumping snow?

sorry, that is all.

I'm sorry to hear you had a shitty day. It really sucks when people are disrespectful when you do a lot of effort.
I'm hoping things look better by now..

It's cool you got the job! It's  probably nice to know what you'll be doing for the summer. (for me, that'd be a thing)

Also this:

Had that minor blip to 139, but I was definitely dehydrated (that's
what happens when you drink your bodyweight in alcohol over a 6 day
period!)

This is familiar. I regularly wake up after a night of drinking and be all "Hey, I'm loosing a lot of weight lately. Neat!" but that's not how it works.

Nyxy, lvl 13 Werewolf assassin!            Current challenge: butts               Fitocracy

Thanks for the encouragement Nyxy.  Things have been going especially well, which is why I haven't had a chance to update lately.  I've been out riding 4 full days of fresh powder!!!  We got 34 inches of snow in about 4 days, pretty evenly spaced, so we have had awesome riding since Sunday!  Today was literally the first day that we didn't ski powder.

As far as my challenges go, here's my update since I missed it before.

1. Abs -- been doing pretty well with my workouts, missed I think 2 days because I was just so sore and exhausted from skiing 9-11 inches of powder.  That shit is hard work!

2. Boardslide/180 -- you don't go in the park on powder days!

3. 140lbs -- down to 142 last I checked.  My scale freaked out this morning and initially told me that I was 131, so I moved it and tried again.

4. Jobs -- so far I am definitely going to Alaska, however, I have continued to apply for real jobs.  If I got offered one though, I'd have to double check that it would actually be worth it.  The Alaska job pays really well and its super cheap to live in the employee housing up there.

So I tanked pretty hard riding home from work on Friday, and it's put me out of commission for the past few days.  I've got whiplash in my neck and extreme soreness in my lower back.  I even cracked my coffee thermos in the fall. 

603104_10100425159648579_613469438_n.jpg

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines